Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moala to be taken off PUP list

MR. Blueblood

When healthy, will he start?

I think we're entity deep on the front. Not exceptionally talented anywhere, but the next man up isn't going to be a liability.

I think Hughes goes to the PS.

I think Hughes would be too tempting for some teams not to snag off the PS

Fili is in a very unique situation at the moment. Hopefully he can return to the form he was in before the injury. But time is against him unfortunately. He may not make the team.

I agree. RJF, Nevis, and Redding have all been solid. Lawrence Guy has done decently. Montori Hughes is still in the mix. Moala has an uphill battle at this point.

He is extremely raw but has some upside...more so than some of the stiffs on PS. I could see a team stashing him on the roster for future use.

Could be.  Usually teams like to have a little game tape.  Remember, if you take someone from the PS they have to go on your 53. 

I think the Romanian may be right.  Unless he shows something we haven't seen yet, we'll hide him on IR.  Probably Boyett too. 

Could be.  Usually teams like to have a little game tape.  Remember, if you take someone from the PS they have to go on your 53. 

I think the Romanian may be right.  Unless he shows something we haven't seen yet, we'll hide him on IR.  Probably Boyett too. 

Only for like 3 weeks though if I remember right.  I'd be surprised if they tried to put him on the PS.  .  

Only for like 3 weeks though if I remember right.  I'd be surprised if they tried to put him on the PS.  .

Actually, I think the team is really only responsible for 3 weeks salary. They can drop him anytime after they put him on their roster.

Lets say he's healthy, does he make the roster? If so, who are the D linemen?

When healthy, will he start?

I think we're entity deep on the front. Not exceptionally talented anywhere, but the next man up isn't going to be a liability.

I think Hughes goes to the PS.

Hughes wouldn't make it through the waiver wire to be put on the PS

Hughes wouldn't make it through the waiver wire to be put on the PS

Again, based on what?  

If he plays in the preseason and does decent he should make the team.  If he doesn't play, they're probably put him on IR.

If he plays and is bad, why would they even worry about anyone else picking him up?

Again, based on what?

If he plays in the preseason and does decent he should make the team. If he doesn't play, they're probably put him on IR.

If he plays and is bad, why would they even worry about anyone else picking him up?

Why would he go on IR he practiced the last two days of camp. Plus you don't give up a 4th round pick just to cut the guy in preseason.

He hasn't played bad when he was out there in the first game, he played average but he wasn't bad. It was his first live action just like it was for Werner yesterday who played average not bad but average. A team that is desperate for interior Dlineman help would pounce on Hughes if he hit the waiver wire, can play in any front with all the potential in the world and only 23 or something like that

Why would he go on IR he practiced the last two days of camp. Plus you don't give up a 4th round pick just to cut the guy in preseason.

He hasn't played bad when he was out there in the first game, he played average but he wasn't bad. It was his first live action just like it was for Werner yesterday who played average not bad but average. A team that is desperate for interior Dlineman help would pounce on Hughes if he hit the waiver wire, can play in any front with all the potential in the world and only 23 or something like that

Terrance Taylor, anyone? 

I'm saying the same thing about him that I said about Harnish when people thought we'd lose him if he went on the PS.  "Based on what?" 

I'll agree with you when or if he shows something.  I think my original point was that we seem to be pretty deep at his position.  In your (or anyone's) opinion, if he makes the team - over who?

Redding, Franklin, RJF, Chapman, all make it, right?  Hughes is in, according to you.  That's five.   So who doesn't make it out of Fili, Guy, Nevis, Taveseu, Mathews, and Heard. 

Not trying to argue, I just would like opinions.

Terrance Taylor, anyone? 

I'm saying the same thing about him that I said about Harnish when people thought we'd lose him if he went on the PS.  "Based on what?" 

I'll agree with you when or if he shows something.  I think my original point was that we seem to be pretty deep at his position.  In your (or anyone's) opinion, if he makes the team - over who?

Redding, Franklin, RJF, Chapman, all make it, right?  Hughes is in, according to you.  That's five.   So who doesn't make it out of Fili, Guy, Nevis, Taveseu, Mathews, and Heard. 

Because of pedigree. Some team, with D-Line issues, or just a free space on their roster, will take the incredibly low risk of taking a mid-round rookie who many considered to have early-round talent. How many players have got a second chance based on pedigree alone? And Hughes has barely had his first chance.

Terrance Taylor, anyone? 

Based on draft stock, potential, whatever you want to call it.

What you're saying is no one would take a shot a Bjorn Werner if we cut him because, to this point, he's done very little.  Problem is, there are several teams who likely had a 1st or 2nd round grade on him.  Someone will give up a roster spot for a guy with potential.

While Taylor is a good example of the counter to this argument, I believe they figured out early on that Taylor was garbage.  They waived him, and didn't even attempt to stash him on the PS.  Generally speaking, if a team attempts to stash a guy on the PS, another team may consider it a risk worth taking.  I believe that was how Jake Ballard ended up with the Patriots, even if he may not do anything for them this year.

Long story short, anyone drafted in the first 5 rounds isn't likely to fall into the PS.  If you try to put them there, another team with a weaker talent at that position may consider giving that player a shot.

Lastly, of the names you mentioned, you're listing all of DTs, NTs, and DEs.  I think Hughes has versatility at DT/NT, or at least they're viewing him like a poor man's Ngata.  If he was next to Chapman in the next 2-3 years, we could have a scary strong group.  He may wind up being the lowest man on the totem pole for a while, but I suspect he makes the final roster based purely on potential.  If he winds up being even 3/4 of what Ngata was, we'll have found a gem.

I get what you're all saying (AM, MBH, HTC).  I'm not saying he won't make it or isn't worth taking a chance on.  I'm just saying he really hasn't shown more than some of the others that will be cut.  Like you all said, it's his potential not his performance that we're counting on.

Bottom line, if he does make it at least two or three of the following will be cut - Fili, Guy, Nevis, Taveseu, Mathews, and Heard.

IMO, they're all better than Hughes right now.  But I really do understand the upside thing.

I get what you're all saying (AM, MBH, HTC).  I'm not saying he won't make it or isn't worth taking a chance on.  I'm just saying he really hasn't shown more than some of the others that will be cut.  Like you all said, it's his potential not his performance that we're counting on.

Bottom line, if he does make it at least two or three of the following will be cut - Fili, Guy, Nevis, Taveseu, Mathews, and Heard.

IMO, they're all better than Hughes right now.  But I really do understand the upside thing.

I didn't really expect Guy, Heard and Tevaseu to make the final 53.

Terrance Taylor, anyone?

I'm saying the same thing about him that I said about Harnish when people thought we'd lose him if he went on the PS. "Based on what?"

I'll agree with you when or if he shows something. I think my original point was that we seem to be pretty deep at his position. In your (or anyone's) opinion, if he makes the team - over who?

Redding, Franklin, RJF, Chapman, all make it, right? Hughes is in, according to you. That's five. So who doesn't make it out of Fili, Guy, Nevis, Taveseu, Mathews, and Heard.

Who thought we would lose Harnish last year?

Don't make cut: Tevasue, Heard, Guy, Mathews, don't know about Moala he has to practice first. I still think Fili will be put on the reg. season PUP to start.

Makes cut: Redding, Franklin, RJF, Chapman, Nevis, Hughes(versatility puts him over the rest in case of injuries)

Don't make cut: Tevasue, Heard, Guy, Mathews, don't know about Moala he has to practice first. I still think Fili will be put on the reg. season PUP to start.

Makes cut: Redding, Franklin, RJF, Chapman, Nevis, Hughes(versatility puts him over the rest in case of injuries)

Probably right about the cuts. Plenty of people on here thought Harnish was future trade bait. I think he goes to the PS again.

I agree but I also think that at least either Matthews or Moala also make it.  Matthews has shown nice interior pass rush so far in the preseason and did the same last year.  However, Moala is the far better, imo, 3-4 DE.  Moala also has the much longer injury history though so I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews makes the cut and Moala doesn't for that reason alone.