Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Reitz.....

needanoline63

How he plays at LT isn't gonna mean anything is Costanzo stays healthy all year long.

I know you meant to write "if", and that's the point of this thread. We're still not sure who our backup LT is going to be.

At the very least, it's good to have options. I'm hoping its going to be Iljalana.

During his early days, when he first made our PS, Reitz was always listed as an OT.  Interesting that we didn't move him to back up the RG spot when we learned of Thornton's injury.  Maybe Joe Gilbert and the OL coaches prefer him outside where his athleticism can be an asset...

Reitz is bigger and stronger than an year before.  I watched him on virtually every play from the visitor's 40.

His footwork was great.  I made a mistake of telling the fans around me how good he was looking....when the blind side hit smacked Harnish.  He was blocking inside, so the RB had responsibility or a blown line can by Austin the center.

All in all, Reitz to me was the surprise of the day at LT....and Austin was not 'terrible' at center for coming in this week.  We NEED a backup LT! :colts:  :colts:

Reitz is bigger and stronger than an year before.  I watched him on virtually every play from the visitor's 40.

His footwork was great.  I made a mistake of telling the fans around me how good he was looking....when the blind side hit smacked Harnish.  He was blocking inside, so the RB had responsibility or a blown line can by Austin the center.

All in all, Reitz to me was the surprise of the day at LT....and Austin was not 'terrible' at center for coming in this week.  We NEED a backup LT! :colts:  :colts:

Good to know from an eye witness.  There's so much you miss when watching the game on TV.  Even going back and stopping the action, frame by frame, I miss things because of the camera shot or angle.

Iljalana came in later in the game, correct?  Do you think he played okay?

Lets see where he ends up after game 3. If he's still with us.

He will be with us.  When healthy...which he appears to be, he can play as well or better than Thomas.  Quality depth is HUGE...see last year.....and the year before...injuries derail a team.  Reitz is bigger than AC now and is one heck of an athlete.

I apologize for the typos today guys....hit the edit too late on the last one.  :)

Good to know from an eye witness.  There's so much you miss when watching the game on TV.  Even going back and stopping the action, frame by frame, I miss things because of the camera shot or angle.

Iljalana came in later in the game, correct?  Do you think he played okay?

I have to be honest...I did not see Big Ben.  I was under the impression they were leaving him out for precation so it had to be inside of the 6:29 mark of the 4th.

I got to the truck and turned the game immediately one to hear Harnish hit on virtually every play...so my thoughts are....if he did he was not spectacular...but then again...2 years off and soooo much rust.  

Did anyone else see Big Ben playing?  I did not.

Who knows where Reitz will end up. It seems the coaches are moving him around to see what is the best fit for him. 

I would be happy if he backed up LT AND left guard....Iljalana backing up RT.  I like Link backing up left and RG...as well if needed.

I am going to be hush hush on McGlynn.....he came off of the ball well yesterday, but got beat twice on run plays.  Satele is going to continue to struggle against the 3-4 bigs.

Edited by BrentMc11

i saw ijalana late in the 4th blocked well and stayed with his guy most plays but on one play he was blocking a lineman and a linebacker ran right by him and hit harnish overall he did ok i was looking for him on the line all day

Thanks...I knew I missed him that last part if he played.  Watched for him all day.  :)

I remember a WR screen play called and our LT at that time, Reitz, getting real far out there, ready to block the next level defender. But the WR did not give Reitz a chance and instead of letting Reitz set up the block chose to go outside instead of inside Reitz, and the play got stifled (I am sure someone remembers more details).

But I was impressed how quickly he got there. It was like a TE, IMO.

i saw ijalana late in the 4th blocked well and stayed with his guy most plays but on one play he was blocking a lineman and a linebacker ran right by him and hit harnish overall he did ok i was looking for him on the line all day

Agreed and I remember the play you're referring to...I think that simply had to be a miscommunication because I don't know what Ijalana was trying to do. lol  Other than that play though I thought he looked solid at LT.  I also rewatched the 4th quarter last night after reading this thread the first time and paid attention to Reitz.  I thought he played well as well for the most part. 

I noticed him but he played agaist 2nd and 3rd stringers!

right, and he played well against them.  That's far better than him playing poorly against the other team's 2nd and 3rd stringers right? 

But he did work well together with Castanzo though on the left side at LG, at least based on what I saw last year.

Maybe we move Donald Thomas to the right instead of McGlynn and keep Reitz at LG.

I am sure the coaches will sort it out.

I've been saying for quite some time that Reitz is a Tackle(do to his footwork and quickness) plus he sure aint a Guard

When healthy as I have said he did very well at guard.  He had not been healthy.  He gained about 20 pounds and is the same size as Cherilus....he obviously can play some tackle now.  He showed us.  :)

Chad 72 said it well above...did well with AC.

We should then try and go for Derrick Dockery, former Cowboy, he is still UFA and was a power guard, isn't he?

EDIT: Here is his info I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Dockery

He is I think, (dont remember) but I think if we were serious about going after a Guard (stop gap only option till Thornton is healthy) Leonard Davis could hold down the fort at RG for a couple weeks and make for better depth then Mike Mcglynn when Thornton returned (and showed he was healthy enough to play at a good level), That idea depends on various circumstances of course, Is he healthy? How much money is he wanting, and of course the rest of the injuries on our roster have to be taken into account, Im not sure if we would or could pick him up

But he did work well together with Castanzo though on the left side at LG, at least based on what I saw last year.

Maybe we move Donald Thomas to the right instead of McGlynn and keep Reitz at LG.

I am sure the coaches will sort it out.

You would think that would've been the plan all along. McGlynn has no business starting and Reitz was our best guard last year, when healthy. I guess i don't understand the evaluation process our coaches go through when selecting our starters on the line. Seems like more politics than actual evaluation of talent, IMO

How he plays at LT isn't gonna mean anything is Costanzo stays healthy all year long.

No it does matter If he can play LT & guard OK, and he has always been a good blocker IMO he can punch a ticket to the magical 53 roster spot because he is 1 body who can play both guard and tackle. I Like Iglana but didn't get to play much Sunday? :dunno:

Guest TeamLoloJones

So Costanzo plays every play? He must be superman never needing any subs.

If he stays healthy, and there are no blowout games, he should play every play...otherwise offensive lineman rarely if ever sub out.

You would think that would've been the plan all along. McGlynn has no business starting and Reitz was our best guard last year, when healthy. I guess i don't understand the evaluation process our coaches go through when selecting our starters on the line. Seems like more politics than actual evaluation of talent, IMO

You're basing this off of the way they've set the first depth chart of the year for the first preseason game?

You're basing this off of the way they've set the first depth chart of the year for the first preseason game?

I'm basing it off decisions made on the line last year, as well as into this off-season. Continuing to start Satele last year despite him being outplayed by Shipley, trading Shipley before camp even started when O-line depth was already an issue, moving Thornton to RG when his most natural position in college was LG and bringing in Thomas and keeping him at LG when his most natural position is the power guard, making Reitz earn his starting spot at left guard back at mid-season last year after being injured but allowing McGlynn to open camp with a starting spot on the line despite being our worst starter last year. None of those moves make sense to me, and i'm not surprised the line still looked unimpressive in the first preseason game.  

You're telling me between, Ijilagna (sp?), Reitz, Thornton, Holmes and Linkenbach, none of those guys have done enough to merit a starting spot over McGlynn, who has done nothing but stink the joint up since he's been here? I find that hard to believe

I'm basing it off decisions made on the line last year, as well as into this off-season. Continuing to start Satele last year despite him being outplayed by Shipley, trading Shipley before camp even started when O-line depth was already an issue, moving Thornton to RG when his most natural position in college was LG and bringing in Thomas and keeping him at LG when his most natural position is the power guard, making Reitz earn his starting spot at left guard back at mid-season last year after being injured but allowing McGlynn to open camp with a starting spot on the line despite being our worst starter last year. None of those moves make sense to me, and i'm not surprised the line still looked unimpressive in the first preseason game.  

OK yeah I get that there are several who felt Shipley was the superior player to Satele and were upset when he was traded.  

However, your post is the first I've heard that Thomas is a more natural fit at RG than LG.  His body type would suggest otherwise.  This is also the first time I've heard of Thornton being more natural at LG than RG when, again, his body type would suggest otherwise.  

To be perfectly frank, I think there's a lot more conjecture in your post than actual fact.  Maybe they weren't "making Reitz earn the starting spot back" but rather easing him back into the lineup to make sure he was fully healed?  Maybe Shipley had a bad attitude in the locker room or had poor workout habits?  There are many possible reasons why the moves have been made but considering the way Grigson is constantly bringing in new players and turning the roster over to get the best 53 man squad he can, I find it ridiculously hard to believe that the offensive line is the one area where he or the coaching staff are setting the depth chart based on politics and not based on putting the best unit on the field.

Agreed and I remember the play you're referring to...I think that simply had to be a miscommunication because I don't know what Ijalana was trying to do. lol  Other than that play though I thought he looked solid at LT.  I also rewatched the 4th quarter last night after reading this thread the first time and paid attention to Reitz.  I thought he played well as well for the most part. 

right, and he played well against them.  That's far better than him playing poorly against the other team's 2nd and 3rd stringers right?

It was a CB blitizing. Buffalo ran the CB blitz several times. Harnish failed to recognize it. With an empty backfield it falls on the QB to recognize the blitz.

Ijalana, played late in the 4th quarter around the 6 minute mark played OK pass blocking looked good, light on his feet there was a play or 2 that he blocked down with no one in front of him and Buffalo blitzed a LB  i felt hes got to look out there seemed a little nervous / excited to be out there. hey he didn't get hurt that's good, but i sure would like to see him play more I am rooting for him, I think he has talent, but the play og Reitz at tackle hum, doesn't matter what I think it matters what the coach's think. :dunno:

OK yeah I get that there are several who felt Shipley was the superior player to Satele and were upset when he was traded.  

However, your post is the first I've heard that Thomas is a more natural fit at RG than LG.  His body type would suggest otherwise.  This is also the first time I've heard of Thornton being more natural at LG than RG when, again, his body type would suggest otherwise.  

To be perfectly frank, I think there's a lot more conjecture in your post than actual fact.  Maybe they weren't "making Reitz earn the starting spot back" but rather easing him back into the lineup to make sure he was fully healed?  Maybe Shipley had a bad attitude in the locker room or had poor workout habits?  There are many possible reasons why the moves have been made but considering the way Grigson is constantly bringing in new players and turning the roster over to get the best 53 man squad he can, I find it ridiculously hard to believe that the offensive line is the one area where he or the coaching staff are setting the depth chart based on politics and not based on putting the best unit on the field.

I'm not gonna get into the whole "Satele vs Shipley" thing again. My only gripe is, he was traded when interior line was still an issue. I would've at least waited until camp started before I traded him. Who's to say he couldn't have won one of the other starting jobs, even if they planned to move forward with Satele and Holmes at the position?

And Thomas was a RG at the college and pro level before he went to the Pats, where he was moved to backup LG because Logan Mankins got hurt. I'd say Thomas' build would suggest power guard, not pull guard. The guy is all muscle. Thornton, on the other hand, has experience playing the tackle position in college. His foot speed and ability to engage at the next level is ideal for LG, in my opinion. 

And while Grigson has constantly overturned the roster since he's been here, it still seems like some guys are just "off-limits." McGlynn should've been cut before Winston Justice. Heck, we could've moved Justice inside even if we planned to go in another direction at RT. Grigson has a soft spot for McGlynn, at the very least... because nothing he's done on the field has proven he's worthy of the long leash Grigson and/or the coaching staff has afforded him since he's been here.

When I watch Thomas I see a LG(not just based off yesterdays game), A guy thats mobile and can be used as a pulling Guard but not a RG-Power Guard

Thomas needs to stay at LG....you are correct.  Perfect spot for him...he is going to be a guys we love and hate....very unspectacular...solid....will not back down...loved what i saw in limited time.  He was communicating not stop with AC...love it.