Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Impressed you the most?

GoColts8818

What kind of talent does he have? Ballard is more talented than Brown. The flying corkscrew is the prime example of creativity on a play. Give me even one example of Browns talent. Just one.

football speed, ability to cut, pass catching. I am not saying Ballard is bad at any of those things but I think Brown just has more athletic gifts, it's part of why Brown went in round one and Ballard went late in the daft. Also to be clear saying some is more physically gifted than someone else doesn't mean the other person isn't physically gifted and just because someone might have more physical gifts doesn't mean that alone makes him a better player.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was third down. He cost us a first down, which leads to a touchdown drive. It was contact which Is all it takes to stop Brown.

It was 3rd and goal from the 4 yard line. Because we had got a neutral zone infraction on the 11 yard line to have a 1st and goal, and Brown got smacked on 3rd and goal so he couldn't had cost us a 1st down

Edit: nevermind the neutral zone infraction on Hughes made it 3rd and 4 from the 6 yard line so yea, but he still would have been short even if he held on to it

football speed, ability to cut, pass catching. I am not saying Ballard is bad at any of those things but I think Brown just has more athletic gifts, it's part of why Brown went in round one and Ballard went late in the daft. Also to be clear saying some is more physically gifted than someone else doesn't mean the other person isn't physically gifted and just because someone might have more physical gifts doesn't mean that alone makes him a better player.

Given your answer, I could say Kerwin is more talented than Brown then. All of our backs would be more talented than Bradshaw. A running back HAS to be judged by a different criteria. Toughness, pushing through on contact, vision through the hole, good hands, blocking. Brown is terrible on all points. He does NOT have good hands and frankly I am tired of hearing that said about him. He is ONLY good in the open field, but so is my grandmother.

But Fleeners crime was apparently worse because that's all I am reading.

Depends on which crime by Fleener that you're talking about.  If you're talking about the fumble then yes, that was primarily on Fleener.  He waited about a second too long to start bringing his free arm over to protect the football.  As for the TD pass for Fleener, that was a great defensive play, just like the hit on Brown that knocked the ball loose.  

It was 3rd and goal from the 4 yard line. Because we had got a neutral zone infraction on the 11 yard line to have a 1st and goal, and Brown got smacked on 3rd and goal so he couldn't had cost us a 1st down

Edit: nevermind the neutral zone infraction on Hughes made it 3rd and 4 from the 6 yard line so yea, but he still would have been short even if he held on to it

We need him to be tough this year. I want to see him hit the line hard and break some tackles or I will never be pleased with him. I,don't like his finesse style obviously.

We need him to be tough this year. I want to see him hit the line hard and break some tackles or I will never be pleased with him. I,don't like his finesse style obviously.

He hit the hole hard every time he carried the ball today, and that catch for 22 yards. Our running back position will be pretty good once bradshaw gets in there with Ballard

Depends on which crime by Fleener that you're talking about.  If you're talking about the fumble then yes, that was primarily on Fleener.  He waited about a second too long to start bringing his free arm over to protect the football.  As for the TD pass for Fleener, that was a great defensive play, just like the hit on Brown that knocked the ball loose.

I will cease and desist. Brown wont make me happy until he gives me money and even then it should be in small demominarions.

Given your answer, I could say Kerwin is more talented than Brown then. All of our backs would be more talented than Bradshaw. A running back HAS to be judged by a different criteria. Toughness, pushing through on contact, vision through the hole, good hands, blocking. Brown is terrible on all points. He does NOT have good hands and frankly I am tired of hearing that said about him. He is ONLY good in the open field, but so is my grandmother.

He could be more talented than Brown, although based on what I saw today I think I am not sure if I would agree with that about Kerwin.  I need to see more of him to form an honest opinion on him.  I wasn't saying Brown was the most gifted back on the team, I just said I think he more pure physical ability than Ballard.  Like I said at the end of my post just because a back has more physical gifts than another doesn't mean he's automatically the better player.  Like I keep saying when talking about Brown and Ballard, I think Brown has more talent but Ballard has done more to take advantage of the chances he's gotten. So please don't confuse me for saying I think Brown has more physical gifts than Ballard for me saying Brown is the better running back than Ballard. 

Brown is not terrible on all points and I really think that might have been what Nate was trying to get at before, it goes back to fans see what they want to see vs. what is really there.  Does Brown have the best vision in the world?  Probably not but at the same time a lot of his dance moves have been product of just trying to find a hole when there hasn't been one there.  When he get's a hole it's normally a home run.  Ballard on the other hand is good at punching a hole if that makes sense.  I also agree with Nate that Brown's pass blocking is a little underrated by fans and has improved leaps and bounds since the famous Peyton yelling at him in the middle of a play his rookie season incident.  Is he as good at blocking as Addai once was?  No but again I think we under valued just how good of a passing game back Addai really was a little bit.  Also Brown has pretty good hands for a running back.  Not great hands but far from terrible. 

He hit the hole hard every time he carried the ball today, and that catch for 22 yards. Our running back position will be pretty good once bradshaw gets in there with Ballard

See my response to Jason. Donald should be playing soccer or become a cyclist. I just don't want him carrying the ball for my favorite team when it matters.

He could be more talented than Brown, although based on what I saw today I think I am not sure if I would agree with that about Kerwin.  I need to see more of him to form an honest opinion on him.  I wasn't saying Brown was the most gifted back on the team, I just said I think he more pure physical ability than Ballard.  Like I said at the end of my post just because a back has more physical gifts than another doesn't mean he's automatically the better player.  Like I keep saying when talking about Brown and Ballard, I think Brown has more talent but Ballard has done more to take advantage of the chances he's gotten. So please don't confuse me for saying I think Brown has more physical gifts than Ballard for me saying Brown is the better running back than Ballard. 

Brown is not terrible on all points and I really think that might have been what Nate was trying to get at before, it goes back to fans see what they want to see vs. what is really there.  Does Brown have the best vision in the world?  Probably not but at the same time a lot of his dance moves have been product of just trying to find a hole when there hasn't been one there.  When he get's a hole it's normally a home run.  Ballard on the other hand is good at punching a hole if that makes sense.  I also agree with Nate that Brown's pass blocking is a little underrated by fans and has improved leaps and bounds since the famous Peyton yelling at him in the middle of a play his rookie season incident.  Is he as good at blocking as Addai once was?  No but again I think we under valued just how good of a passing game back Addai really was a little bit.  Also Brown has pretty good hands for a running back.  Not great hands but far from terrible.

Who is Nate? Is Nate Jason? I am confused.

Who is Nate? Is Nate Jason? I am confused.

Nate Dunlevy who I mentioned before in this thread, he was floating the idea that Brown is a better back than Ballard over all based on fans perception of things and that fans tend to give Ballard a little too much credit for things and Brown not enough credit for things based on how they feel about them.  I don't agree with him that Brown is better than Ballard as a running back but I can see his point, we as fans, myself included don't tend to look at things objectively.  Once we don't like a guy unless he just becomes a Hall of Famer over night we don't tend to give him credit for anything.  By the same token if we like a guy, he can do no wrong. 

As for who the better back is, I think he was trying a little too hard to out think the room on this one.  With that said I can see and agree with the argument that Brown has more physical tools than Ballard, however, when it's come time to do something on the field I do think Ballard has done more to this point for whatever reason.  Frankly I think the biggest thing in Ballard's favor right now is his ability to punch a hole in the line and get yards.  Put Brown on a team with a good run blocking line and he would be a nightmare to stop but we don't have that in Indy at least we haven't up to this point.  Frankly, I think Ballard and Brown are a good combo together.  Add Bradshaw to the mix and if we can get any kind of blocking we might finally have a good run game. 

Actually, if I were a BIlls fan I would be more excited about Tuel. I know he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but he was decisive and accurate.  He was always a good prospect.  Just got hurt.

I'd second that, apart from holding on too long for one play he took everything our D offered up to him, but dear god we couldn't defend a slant to save out lives. 

I have to say Chapman.  What I saw was good, granted it was a preseason game, but I saw what I needed to see.  Chap was taking up 2 OL and getting penetration at times.  When Chuck begin to implementing his exotic blitzes, that should help with the double teams.  But good to see him finally touch the field and show he can play.

Agreed, the fumble is on him, he made a great catch and beat the first man and got a little too greedy, could of tucked the ball up earlier and better. However again the D made a good play getting 2 men over quickly and hitting hard. 

You don't even have to leave this forum to find vocal Walden detractors who qualify for similar status. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them step up and justify all their vitriol... or eat their crow.

I can't claim to have been overly focused on him, but Walden looked very solid to me today.

He set the edge better than Mathis on the run D.

Lol didn't get to see much of the main line players.Ballard looked good as well as TY

TY's deep TD catch was Outstanding, the way he flew and layed his body out catching it with arms extended fully and landing on ground basically bouncing into the endzone resonates with me

Especially as he was so in the open the pass could have easily been thrown easier to catch

He set the edge better than Mathis on the run D.

And interestingly enough, he was moved over to the rush LB spot the play after he showed how well he can set an edge (the botched handoff/fumble recovery play).

The ball didn't go his direction, and he wasn't involved in the play, or in causing/recovering the fumble. I was just surprised to see him lined up there. Surely the Colts coaches know how terrible he is as a player and a human being, and wouldn't risk facing criticism from the superior talent evaluators we have on this forum...

It must have been some kind of mistake on Walden's part.

Most impressive:

Griff Whalen needs to be playing on the first team. The guy knows how to get open! 

TY = rockstar status. What a find. He's learning from one of the best (in Wayne) and you can tell. 

I thought Kavell Conner played very well at LB. 

Patty Mac was laying done the boomstick! 

I thought Donald Brown looked better yesterday that last year. Didn't he run behind a FB in college? I think this Offense will help him. I just hate how he goes down if someone puts a hand on him. 

Not impressive: 

I don't see how Delone Carter will make the final cut. That sucks, but I think the writing is on the wall for him. 

Harnish = yikes! 

Most impressive:

Griff Whalen needs to be playing on the first team. The guy knows how to get open! 

TY = rockstar status. What a find. He's learning from one of the best (in Wayne) and you can tell. 

I thought Donald Brown looked better yesterday that last year. Didn't he run behind a FB in college? I think this Offense will help him. I just hate how he goes down if someone puts a hand on him. 

Not impressive: 

I don't see how Delone Carter will make the final cut. That sucks, but I think the writing is on the wall for him. 

Harnish = yikes! 

You know me Lolly.  I have been a Carter supporter through and through.  I saw absolutely NOTHING yesterday that makes me keep him on this football team...nothing.

Carter missed at least three blocks, I noticed he was lost on several others.  He showed zero burst in my opinion.  He needs to be let go.  

Donald Brown was not even running hard on his nice play...and he was faster than anyone on the field at that time...really looked good.   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Most impressive:

Not impressive:

Harnish = yikes!

Griff did run with the first team, tho, and struggled to get open. It wasn't until Harnish and Carter were on the field with him (and presumably the Bills 2nd/3rd stringers) that he started getting separation.

Hey guys, Houston fan here coming in peace. (I dont know where else to post this so sorry if its in the wrong spot)

Just curious of what the outlook of Dax Swanson is? As a Sam Houston Alum I was wishin' the Texans would get him as a UDFA. Just curious how he's looked so far in camps and what not. Pumped to see he got that TD Return the other day.

We spent a lot of time this week talking about who we were excited to see, so my question as pre-season game one goes along who impressed you the most?

My answer is Conner.  He was all around the football the whole time he was in there and as many bad picks as Polian had towards the end we got one heck of a steal in him!

I will also say tip of the cap to Hilton, who was very good.  Hilton will probably work out of the slot in three WR sets because the Colts like him there but he's going to be the second WR on the field because when the ball goes his way good things happen.

Sorry to go the other direction, but Sheldon Price # 40, rookie cb from UCLA could not tackle & got torched on every route he covered. Release him & bring a body to camp that might have a chance to make the team if not the practice squad.

I didn't notice Chapman but then again I was watching at the stadium and wasn't sure what number he was. I think Fleener did well, looked confident, maybe to confident when taking that tackle, resulting in a fumble. The " drop " was a kinda high pass, even for a tall guy like Fleener and the defender made a good play. I'm not even sure how catchable that ball was even without the defender. No worries there.

T.Y. Gets my vote for most impressive. He seemed ready to go for week 1.

Sheppard had a decent day at ILB with Conner.

To be honest, I don't feel like I have much to go on yet. Preseason has been interesting the last few years but maybe not week 1 of the preseason.

One of those 'naysayers' is the owner Jim Irsay...he tore a strip off Grigson and Pagano.

Wake up and smell the coffee!  ....freakin' mindless cheerleader fan.

Got a link to that? Is Irsay seriously freaking out over a week 1 preseason game? I have doubts.