Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Impressed you the most?

GoColts8818

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw exactly what you saw. It's funny because those dumb bells over at stampede blue are trying to say Walden was terrible.

Those dudes know they don't know anything about football. It becomes more and more apparent every day!

You don't even have to leave this forum to find vocal Walden detractors who qualify for similar status. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them step up and justify all their vitriol... or eat their crow.

I can't claim to have been overly focused on him, but Walden looked very solid to me today.

You don't even have to leave this forum to find vocal Walden detractors who qualify for similar status. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them step up and justify all their vitriol... or eat their crow.

I can't claim to have been overly focused on him, but Walden looked very solid to me today.

I agree.  

Fleener is catching flack for his drop but Brown dropped a pass due to contact in the redone. That is my criticism of him, he is soft. If this were a real game, he cost us a touchdown.

Brown wasn't going to score even if he held on to that ball, that defender nailed him as soon as the ball got there

Agreed. I didn't think he had a good game today due to the fumble and dropped TD.  Those are plays that elite TE's have to make. Yes, the defender put a hand in there but Fleener had the ball and has to secure it. The fumble was unacceptable. Took points off the board. My biggest gripe with Fleener last year other then drops was that he played like he was scared and not to his size. Today didn't do much to ease my concerns. He has to be tougher.  Guy has all the potential in the world to make plays but he has to take advantage when the opportunities are there.

The main thing I noticed was how he played tougher. Before the fumble he broke tackles and made a play. When did we see that last year.

Before any crow is eaten lets see him in a real game. I am not a naysayer of him, buts its waaay too early to make anyone eat crow here for doubting him 

My comment was made with sarcasm in mind. I am just defending Fleener because of all the negativity that he has taken all off season. Fumbles happen to all players who carry and catch the ball. 

as I have defended Fleener at times, note I am not overreacting to Fleener and saying he should be cut or that he was a bad draft pick.  I merely pointed out an area he can improve on which is put two hands on the ball.  You can bet your bottom dollar he's going to have it pointed out to him in film reviews this week.  Fumbles do happen but you can also do things to help prevent them by putting both hands on the ball to cover it up, that's a basic football skill. 

I'll say it again, Fleener is going to have a good season but let's not act like he didn't make a mistake today.  Keyword mistake.  it can be corrected and it's not a reason for anyone to bash him at times like he has been bashed and I am not bashing him like that either, if I was I wouldn't keep saying he's going to have a good season. 

I agree with  you that he could have prevented the fumble by holding it with two hands when he saw the hit coming. Some say it was a good defensive play that caused the dropped td but the angle I saw seemed to indicate he should have caught it.

Again, just an area he can improve on.  I know people have been unfair to Fleener in the past and I was not trying to be, I just saw a couple of areas he can get better at that's all.  Glad to see at least someone else seemed to see what I saw/heard.

They threw the ball to him....and it worked...

He also ran well behind a Fullback....

But I saw him on special teams which would indicate he's a little down the depth chart, right?.

Well when Bradshaw gets healthy he's probably the third running back on the depth chart so that is normal for them to play on special teams when they are there on the depth chart.

Take this for what it's worth but Nate Dunleavy was on the radio after todays game selling the idea that he thinks Brown is better than Ballard, please don't shoot the messager on this one I am just passing it along. 

Well when Bradshaw gets healthy he's probably the third running back on the depth chart so that is normal for them to play on special teams when they are there on the depth chart.

Take this for what it's worth but Nate Dunleavy was on the radio after todays game selling the idea that he thinks Brown is better than Ballard, please don't shoot the messager on this one I am just passing it along. 

I think Brown can have a very good year in this offense if he stays healthy.  He's much better, imo, in a downhill running attack than he is in a zone blocking attack.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's above Ballard on the depth chart by the time the season starts.

My biggest issue with Ballard is he is slow as molasses. Brown has more potential to break a game open.

If you want a couple yards or a first down, then you may want to look at Ballard.

I do think Ballard is replaceable if it came down to it.

My biggest issue with Ballard is he is slow as molasses. Brown has more potential to break a game open.

If you want a couple yards or a first down, then you may want to look at Ballard.

Ballard isn't slow. He actually looked exceptionally quick today. No question he doesn't have the top end speed that Brown does, but he's got quick feet and he runs with a very fluid motion. 

It's also kind of a misconception that Ballard is this great short yardage back. He runs well and gets low, but I believe he and Brown had very similar results in short yardage last season.

Ballard isn't slow. He actually looked exceptionally quick today. No question he doesn't have the top end speed that Brown does, but he's got quick feet and he runs with a very fluid motion. 

It's also kind of a misconception that Ballard is this great short yardage back. He runs well and gets low, but I believe he and Brown had very similar results in short yardage last season.

Quick feet in the hole I could agree, but I'm talking long speed. Brown is better than him in that area.

In a small space I'd say Ballard is better. To each his own I suppose.

I guess I did not have the angle to see it like you did because it looked like he should have caught it.

It would have been an absolutely great catch. It would have been amazing. What Fleener should have done is secured the ball in his hands and kept it away from his body. It's something we've seen guys like Reggie and Marvin do, and even Dallas Clark. It's an instinctive move that someone with great hands will pull off for a great play. It's not run of the mill, and I think it's unreasonable to say that someone "should have" made a play like that.

I do think when it comes down to skills Brown has more of them than Ballard does.  With that said, for whatever, rather it be being behind Addai on the depth chart, injuries, bad blocking from the line he hasn't shown it on the field as much as Ballard has.

Question: Did Greg Toler play today? I don't recall seeing him.

If so, how'd he do?

Yea he played but EJ Manuel only completed 4-7 for 19 yards while the starters were in so he didn't get a lot of work. That's what Manuel threw the whole 1st quarter so it was less than that while the starters were in

Quick feet in the hole I could agree, but I'm talking long speed. Brown is better than him in that area.

I agree with that. Ballard also turns the corner really well, and had a play in this game where he looked really fast coming around the corner. The Buffalo announcers even mentioned it. I went back and watched the play again because he looked like he was significantly faster than he was last season.

One of the things that I liked about Ballard in college is how smoothly he ran. He used his feet quickly, was very decisive, and ran with great balance and smoothness. But he finished strong and played hard. Another year in, he looks more comfortable, more like the runner he was in college.

I think Ballard gets a little overrated by fans, personally. I like him, but people have pumped him up to be this great back in the making. I think he has the tools, and when he's comfortable, he plays a lot faster than it looks (whatever that means). But he's not on his way to the HOF, not just yet. Same thing for Dwayne Allen.

Yea he played but EJ Manuel only completed 4-7 for 19 yards while the starters were in so he didn't get a lot of work. That's what Manuel threw the whole 1st quarter so it was less than that while the starters were in

Speaking of which, he would be my answer to the question posed in the thread title. EJ Manuel looked poised and confident, and he made all the throws. Knew when to run with it, moved well in the pocket. The Bills got a nice quarterback.

Well their 40 times are almost equal if you're talking long speed.

Ballard ran a 4.53 at his pro day and Brown ran a 4.51 at the combine(brown didn't run 40 at his pro day )

Ballard ran a 4.53 at his pro day and Brown ran a 4.51 at the combine(brown didn't run 40 at his pro day )

That's an interesting tidbit but the difference is clear when the game is actually played.

enh you can only put so much stock in numbers like that.  It comes without pads and other elements.  There is also the chance that Ballard ran the time of his life and Brown was slow or something like that.  It is what it is.  After watching both of them I think it's safe to say in a football environment Brown is faster on the field.  With that said I do like Ballard, he's done more to take advantage of the chances he's had than Brown has. 

enh you can only put so much stock in numbers like that. It comes without pads and other elements. There is also the chance that Ballard ran the time of his life and Brown was slow or something like that. It is what it is. After watching both of them I think it's safe to say in a football environment Brown is faster on the field. With that said I do like Ballard, he's done more to take advantage of the chances he's had than Brown has.

Ballard ran that speed both times 4.55 and 4.53 at pro day, I know Brown is faster but don't act like Ballard is just slow as dirt, Ballard can move too and he can make people miss better than Brown can

Ballard ran that speed both times 4.55 and 4.53 at pro day, I know Brown is faster but don't act like Ballard is just slow as dirt, Ballard can move too and he can make people miss better than Brown can

I am not the one who said Ballard was slow, I just said Brown is faster and probably has more overall talent.  With that said I fully agree and support the idea that Ballard is a good back and has done much more to take advantage of the chances he's been given to this point.

Before any crow is eaten lets see him in a real game. I am not a naysayer of him, buts its waaay too early to make anyone eat crow here for doubting him

While I'd generally agree with you, I don't think it would be too much to ask for our all-knowing talent evaluators to step up and acknowledge the positives Walden showed today. I can assure you they wouldn't hesitate for a second to point out any mistakes.

While I'd generally agree with you, I don't think it would be too much to ask for our all-knowing talent evaluators to step up and acknowledge the positives Walden showed today. I can assure you they wouldn't hesitate for a second to point out any mistakes.

Thats the thing about naysayers tho, we can't stoop down to their level. 

meh, you know they're not going to though.  I'm not sure if a pro bowl appearance would get a few to admit that Walden was a good signing and that he's doing his job well.

The good:

-TY Hilton looked good (not surprising).

-Donald Brown looked good.

-Delano Howell (started today in place of Landry & Lefeged) impressed me the most. Flew around the field.

-Pat McAfee was doin' his thing. Grigson better lock him up for the future.

-Griff Whalen looked good.

The bad:

-Special teams was horrendous, thankfully it's preseason. Need to get that fixed.

-Offensive line was inconsistent all day. Really hoping we can get it together.

-Chandler Harnish didn't seem on it today.

-Lanear Sampson had a terrible day catching the ball.

-Bills backups are better than our backups.

Overall it's just preseason, but not going to lie I expected us to come out and play better, but that's what the preseason is for. Once the regular season comes I know we'll be good to go. Can't wait until September 8th!

All this is true

It was third down. He cost us a first down, which leads to a touchdown drive. It was contact which Is all it takes to stop Brown.

Yes, that defender made a great play, laying a big hit on Brown at the exact time the ball got there and he, the defender, cost us a first down.  

I am not the one who said Ballard was slow, I just said Brown is faster and probably has more overall talent.  With that said I fully agree and support the idea that Ballard is a good back and has done much more to take advantage of the chances he's been given to this point.

What kind of talent does he have? Ballard is more talented than Brown. The flying corkscrew is the prime example of creativity on a play. Give me even one example of Browns talent. Just one.