Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mayock: Rams receiver Tavon Auston "might be the most explosive player I've ever seen in my life."

Dustin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The full quote is

"I watched all of his tape, I saw him in person at his pro day. He might be the most explosive player I've ever seen in my life, from a static start to full speed," Mayock said on Monday's "Inside Training Camp Live." "He's almost impossible to cover in short spaces. So the ways you can use this are basically only constrained by the imagination of your offensive coordinator."

I think Mayock is referring to his acceleration.  From a static start to full speed, Tavon is the best Mayock has seen.  I don't think he means Tavon is the most explosive player Mayock has ever seen.  Just that he has good acceleration

The full quote is

I think Mayock is referring to his acceleration.  From a static start to full speed, Tavon is the best Mayock has seen.  I don't think he means Tavon is the most explosive player Mayock has ever seen.  Just that he has good acceleration

Explosiveness is just another term for acceleration.

The only reason SW1 clicked on this topic: 2 words...Mike Mayock...

"Rams receiver Tavon Auston "might be the most explosive player I've ever seen in my life." High praise coming from an analyst I really respect. Does Charles Davis on NFL Network concur with Mike as well too? 

Why can't he pop by LOS for a visit other than the February Combine? I wanna him him critique us or at least the AFC South in the flesh anyway come on Mike.

You can drop a Norte Dame broadcast or skip a NE trip to see Bill Belichick can't ya? Just Kidding! Besides, how many times can 1 person shake hands with singer Bon Jovi anyway?  haha

Big words for a little guy. Hope to see him light the league up and help Sam Bradford realize his potential.

Exactly QuizBoy, the St. Louis Rams are the dark horse cinderella team ready to pounce out of the weeds & make their presence known in NFC West this year. It's hard to believe that they used to be the laughing stock division not long ago isn't it? 

Exactly QuizBoy, the St. Louis are the dark horse cinderella team ready to pounce out of the weeds & make their presence known in NFC West this year. It's hard to believe that used to be the laughing stock division not long ago isn't it? 

Yep, they didn't lose to the 49ers at all last year so there's a chance that they could put up a fight with them again, especially with all their new pieces. I'm not a huge Jeff Fisher fan but hey, I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams and even the Cardinals challenge the top dogs in the NFC West this year.

Yep, they didn't lose to the 49ers at all last year so there's a chance that they could put up a fight with them again, especially with all their new pieces. I'm not a huge Jeff Fisher fan but hey, I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams and even the Cardinals challenge the top dogs in the NFC West this year.

Funny that you mention the Cardinals...I'm just a little leary of all the praise AZ is getting simply because Bruce Arians is now running football operations on the field there. I respect Bruce's eye for talent & evaluation skills, but when the media tries to sell a great product too hard, I don't believe it until I see it 1st hand myself. Jeff Fisher, on  the other hand, has a proven track record as a winning HC in Tennessee. So success in the Gateway Arch City seems more credible to me personally.

Also, QB Carson Palmer has cement blocks for feet & isn't exactly fast or light on his feet. Without a great o-line, he's toast. He can still throw though. 

Also, Seattle losing Percy Harvin especially on Special Teams might be just enough to keep them out of the Playoffs IMO QuizBoy. I love Wilson & that secondary of the SeaHawks, but Percy was gonna do so much for them on returns man...A devastating loss my friend...

Funny that you mention the Cardinals...I'm just a little leary of all the praise AZ is getting simply because Bruce Arians is now running football operations on the field there. I respect Bruce's eye for talent & evaluation skills, but when the media tries to sell a great product too hard, I don't believe it until I see it 1st hand myself. Jeff Fisher, on  the other hand, has a proven track record as a winning HC in Tennessee. So success in the Gateway Arch City seems more credible to me personally.

Also, QB Carson Palmer has cement blocks for feet & isn't exactly fast or light on his feet. Without a great o-line, he's toast. He can still throw though. 

Yeah, I know the media's trying to tout Arians but I've always been of the mindset that the Cardinals can compete with a competent line and a decent QB, which Palmer is. They already have the defense, now they just need to get Fitzgerald and Floyd the rock.

Also, Seattle losing Percy Harvin especially on Special Teams might be just enough to keep them out of the Playoffs IMO QuizBoy. I love Wilson & that secondary of the SeaHawks, but Percy was gonna do so much for them on returns man...A devastating loss my friend...

I agree that losing Harvin is gonna hurt big time. I still think that Seattle's defense and the fact that they have Wilson and Marshawn can get them to the playoffs again though. The NFC is always competitive and unpredictable though so who knows.

I really think Austin is going to light up the league this year. He'll win rookie of the year, and if the Rams use him right, he should be a pro bowler. If you haven't seen Austin play, I strongly encourage you to watch the YouTube video "Only One (Tavon Austin Senior Highlights)". The kid is explosive, dynamic, lightning quick. I'm not really sold on Bradford, but I think Austin is the perfect weapon for him. Should be fun to watch STL vs the rest of the NFC West.

Exactly QuizBoy, the St. Louis Rams are the dark horse cinderella team ready to pounce out of the weeds & make their presence known in NFC West this year. It's hard to believe that they used to be the laughing stock division not long ago isn't it?

Not sure i even consider them a dark horse at this point. Their defense has the potential to be quite nasty in the near future.

I always thought explosive referred to things like jumping and leaping ability as well.  The player can expend large amounts of energy in short periods of time, be they running fast, jumping high, juking quickly, etc.

It's all kinda tied together.  Acceleration is basically a function of strength relative to size (think about power-to-weight ratio like you would with a car).  The difference between sprinting and jumping/leaping is merely the direction of the acceleration and the muscle groups involved in generating the bulk of the force.  Generally, great sprinters tend to also be pretty darn good leapers just because there's a ton of crossover between the two activities and you'd train for them using many of the same types of exercises.  You need a lot of core strength, lower body strength, and fast twitch muscle fiber for both activities.

One thing that impressed me about Austin, I saw an interview at the Combine, where they asked him something on the lines of.."Why should you be picked in the draft?" He said something like.. in all the years of playing football, he never once missed a practice, never missed a day with an injury, and I will give you the best I have on every play, and every down like its my last play. I never quit..(sic)

For a guy his size..that really truly is impressive..From what I have seen and heard, his work ethic is off the charts..I love people with that kind of mentality that came across sincere and humble, while making his point.

I hope the kid does awesome..We need more people with his outlook and attitude i the world...He's definitely one player whose career I am going to follow with keen interest.

I honestly think Brazill is more explosive than TY

Um...NO...TY's ability to stop on a dime, and get back to full speed is amazing...TY tends to get a little slower at the end, because due to the explosiveness, he's already blown past the defender and is gone..Plus Brazill is 2 inches taller and weighs almost 20 lbs more that TY...takes him a little longer to get going..Just watch TY's punt return for a TD..when he makes the cut, and the defender falls missing him, watch how fast TY's already 20 yards down the field.

I'm not saying Brazill is slow by any means, but in pure explosiveness off the first few steps..he's no match for Hilton.

Um...NO...TY's ability to stop on a dime, and get back to full speed is amazing...TY tends to get a little slower at the end, because due to the explosiveness, he's already blown past the defender and is gone..Plus Brazill is 2 inches taller and weighs almost 20 lbs more that TY...takes him a little longer to get going..Just watch TY's punt return for a TD..when he makes the cut, and the defender falls missing him, watch how fast TY's already 20 yards down the field.

I'm not saying Brazill is slow by any means, but in pure explosiveness off the first few steps..he's no match for Hilton.

Um.....yes.

Not sure i even consider them a dark horse at this point. Their defense has the potential to be quite nasty in the near future.

Okay, perhaps "dark horse" was a poor choice of words on my part BOTT, but AZ, the 49ers, & Seattle seem to be getting a ton of pundit praise while the Rams are almost viewed as an afterthought like "oh yeah St. Louis plays in the NFC West too."  

Okay, perhaps "dark horse" was a poor choice of words on my part BOTT, but AZ, the 49ers, & Seattle seem to be getting a ton of pundit praise while the Rams are almost viewed as an afterthought like "oh yeah St. Louis plays in the NFC West too."

I agree with you they are a dark horse, but they shouldn't be. They have two #1's coming next year too....ouch.

I agree with you they are a dark horse, but they shouldn't be. They have two #1's coming next year too....ouch.

Good point BOTT. The Rams won't be under the radar or dismissed very long. There are here to stay under Jeff Fisher & do some serious intimidation of their own for years to come. 

One thing that impressed me about Austin, I saw an interview at the Combine, where they asked him something on the lines of.."Why should you be picked in the draft?" He said something like.. in all the years of playing football, he never once missed a practice, never missed a day with an injury, and I will give you the best I have on every play, and every down like its my last play. I never quit..(sic)

For a guy his size..that really truly is impressive..From what I have seen and heard, his work ethic is off the charts..I love people with that kind of mentality that came across sincere and humble, while making his point.

I hope the kid does awesome..We need more people with his outlook and attitude i the world...He's definitely one player whose career I am going to follow with keen interest.

Nice post there CF4L. Small guys are usually tough as nails & their low center of gravity makes them hard to pinpoint & almost impossible to bring down. Rare to find a gifted athlete who works his tail off & is self deprecating in their overall demeanor. 

Judging by combine/pro day results Andrew Luck is faster than Jerry Rice

I will not patronize you by explaining why that is completely different.

Both players are explosive, timed drills indicate Hilton is more explosive... and so does my eye test, yours doesn't, fine.

I will not patronize you by explaining why that is completely different.

Both players are explosive, timed drills indicate Hilton is more explosive... and so does my eye test, yours doesn't, fine.

Then why did you bother?

Then why did you bother?

Because it is a discussion forward, in which I was attempting to contribute with a relevant point.

I would advise you to lose the attitude, but I fear my efforts would be fruitless... you clearly do not like being challenged to debate.

This sounds like "that jamoke from the SEC is the best defensive player in the world!!!"

Remember when Reggie Bush was going to revolutionize the running back positon in the NFL?

..and when Suh from Detroit was  'the best defensive tackle in the NFL the minute he takes the field for his first game'??

People who comment on sports count on the fact that you wont remember what they said unless they are right and they remind you.

People who comment on sports count on the fact that you wont remember what they said unless they are right and they remind you.

Great point.

However, I think Mayock is an astute scout and generally knows what he's talking about. There are too many factors at play for anyone to judge a players success in the league. Though when making an observation purely on a players explosiveness based on an eye test, I think it's a fair enough assessment. Mayock has seen plenty of quick receivers in his time.

Chris Johnson is probably the fastest ever Running Back in the NFL, doesn't mean he will ever be the best.

Agreed Anton..I like Mike Mayock....and he's credible

I just have severe doubts about whether Tavon Austin at 175 pounds can survive a lot of NFL games as anything other than a kick returner...

...he's going to take serious punishment from people at least 20 pounds heavier every time he gets hit...

That dog wont hunt....

I always thought explosive referred to things like jumping and leaping ability as well.  The player can expend large amounts of energy in short periods of time, be they running fast, jumping high, juking quickly, etc.

When I was taking excercise physiology, explosion referred to a higher percentage of muscle fiber contraction in large muscle groups...not speed.

Because it is a discussion forward, in which I was attempting to contribute with a relevant point.

I would advise you to lose the attitude, but I fear my efforts would be fruitless... you clearly do not like being challenged to debate.

I would advise you to take your own advice, but I'm quite sure you won't. At least you didn't give me one of your usual two page respnses nobody reads. You garnered a like from a half*** troll, so there's that.

When DJax got leveled by Dunta Robinson while going across the middle, it was a microcosm of what a CB or safety can do if they DID make contact to a guy of DJax's size, which Tavon Austin is very close to :).

The QB and the coach should put Tavon in good situations to succeed and not bear the brunt of those hits. If given time to react, those guys (DJax, Harvin, Tavon) can all be very good in space.