Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie

In Luck We Trust

I just read a story on him, on Yahoo! and honestly i agree with what the writer said. he had what looked like to be a promising career. then he took a vicious hit to the head in philly and his world came tumbling down on him. comes back, gets another concussion, then last year in pre season suffers another one against pittsburgh. then gets a knee injury in week 1. in less then a month until pre season starts and he still has yet to be signed, although the Niners are interested, after they have possibly lost crabtree for the year, but not enough to sign him yet. They are waiting until after training camp to sign him or not. 

honestly, i dont see anything wrong in signing him for 1 year at league minimum especially since he has agreed to sign a waiver to not sue the team that signs him nor the NFL. 1 year to see if he can stay healthy and play a full season. I know a lot of you will say, " No Thank You "....and I was one of those people who said he should just retire, but I would not mind if the Colt's signed him to a 1 yr deal. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/austin-collie-not-long-ago-promising-young-receiver-143254326.html

Been there and done that.  The guy is made of the same thing Stokely was when he was here.  He is just a walking injury concern and fully expect him to be hurt again this season whenever another team signs him.

It is sad to see a promising career cut short by injuries, but it happens to many many players.  A front office just has to know when to move on and not allow personal attachment to a player cloud their judgement.

Let another team sign him and have to put him on IR.

Now that Brazil is suspended for 4 games, I wouldn't mind seeing Collie again. I loved him. I was also in the stands at the Philly game where he suffered his first concussion. Happened right in front of me, while decked out in full Colts gear. My heart sank, the stadium got super quiet. Was a very scary moment. My first Colt's game too. 

Been there and done that.  The guy is made of the same thing Stokely was when he was here.  He is just a walking injury concern and fully expect him to be hurt again this season whenever another team signs him.

It is sad to see a promising career cut short by injuries, but it happens to many many players.  A front office just has to know when to move on and not allow personal attachment to a player cloud their judgement.

Let another team sign him and have to put him on IR.

By Stokley, do you mean Anthony Gonzalez?  I don't remember Stokley being injured too often.

I think Collie was a great slot wideout but injuries plagued his career.  Honestly though the dude is a stand up guy good role model never got into trouble etc....  He said he is willing to sign paperwork not to sue the NFL or the team he signs with so why not give him another shot.  Look at players like fat russell, crybaby owens, and all about me randy!  If those guys got media coverage and teams looking at them why not Collie at least he didnt kill anyone or take drugs or act like Im mr all that THUG!

The hit Collie took @ Philly was vicious, not sure how any other receiver wouldn't have been knocked cold also. The ball was thrown where he had to stretch out to get it and over the middle in no mans land. The odds of injury, IMO, would have to rise on that type play. When he came back it was more of the same, Collie down the middle and it happened again. How much of it was Collie being "concussion prone" or just the type of plays he was subjected to?

The hit Collie took @ Philly was vicious, not sure how any other receiver wouldn't have been knocked cold also. The ball was thrown where he had to stretch out to get it and over the middle in no mans land. The odds of injury, IMO, would have to rise on that type play. When he came back it was more of the same, Collie down the middle and it happened again. How much of it was Collie being "concussion prone" or just the type of plays he was subjected to?

Nah, it was not a bang bang play, I have seen worse. Collie had at least 2 steps to take before the impact. He just does not get down quickly with his head. I have noticed that several times. In that play, he is hit from behind while lowering his head and the second player, the safety Coleman lowers his head to hit him too and they have a helmet-to-helmet contact in the wrong spot.

The Jaguars game, I felt Peyton led him on to the LB but then Dallas Clark has had his bell rung that way with Peyton too but never missed games the same way due to concussions. Collie's head is just different, IMO, and it is something he has to live with and accept. Wes Welker has had his bell rung a few times but he is made differently as well.

Another case where Collie did that was a playoff game a year ago in the 2009 playoffs vs the Ravens that we won 20-3. He lowered his head after catching the ball but Ray Lewis lowered his too and it ended up with a helmet-to-helmet hit but thankfully closer to the front of his head (where you have more padding from our maker :)) than the side of his head. So, we got the unnecessary roughness penalty in our favor, the Ravens whined about it, and Reggie caught a TD a few seconds just before half time to finish that series. Collie played well into the Saints SB, one of two guys who caught everything thrown in his way other than DC in the Saints SB.

Collie is awkward while trying to get down, no two ways about it. He is not as quick as a Reggie to get down and probably his head is softer for the kind of hits and position he plays in the slot. It was a Larry Foote elbow to Collie in pre-season that gave him his 3rd concussion, this guy just has a damaged head and given his history of not getting down quickly, is likely to get a concussion if he attempts to play again.

Some hits may look worse but its all about the sudden stop .In both cases, the Eagles and Jaguar games, Collie was running forward. More so in the Jags game where he was lead forward with the ball and he stretched to get it. His head stopped while the rest of him kept going. The perils of playing in the slot. Good points about being awkward in getting down also. 

The 49ers want him. If he does come back I think he'll end up with them.

Yup, he seems bound & determined to play football still. Not a smart move. Is Collie broke? Does he wanna end his career on a high note? Does he want yet another serious head injury/concussion that could negatively affect the quality of the rest of his life? I don't know...San Fran is a nice spot  to compete for a ring & later hang up your cleats though. 

see that is what i always questioned. how much of it was just the play calling?? nothing against manning, loved the guy and what he did for us and will be a first ballot hall of famer BUT that pass was bad and it could very well cost collie his career. but if he passes all the concussion tests, and has no side effects, and with brazill suspended i dont see anything wrong with bringing him in aslong as he signs the waivers clearing the league and team of any law suit if he were to suffer another concussion and it be career ending and god for bid worst!

Yup, he seems bound & determined to play football still. Not a smart move. Is Collie broke? Does he wanna end his career on a high note? Does he want yet another serious head injury/concussion that could negatively affect the quality of the rest of his life? I don't know...San Fran is a nice spot to compete for a ring & later hang up your cleats though.

It's also a good place to get your dome knocked off by the Legion of Boom

Earl Thomas

Kam Chancellor

Brandon Browner

Richard Sherman

4 Guys I wouldn't look forward to playing TWICE a year if I was Collie

see that is what i always questioned. how much of it was just the play calling?? nothing against manning, loved the guy and what he did for us and will be a first ballot hall of famer BUT that pass was bad and it could very well cost collie his career. but if he passes all the concussion tests, and has no side effects, and with brazill suspended i dont see anything wrong with bringing him in aslong as he signs the waivers clearing the league and team of any law suit if he were to suffer another concussion and it be career ending and god for bid worst!

Interesting questions you 2, but the point is Collie's brain has suffered concussions in close proximity to 1 another. The lingering brain trauma has already been done & it will only worsen & not improve. There is no reset or rewind button & no innovative OC is gonna change that fact. I love Collie too & I appreciate his valiant contributions in INDY, but Austin is damaged goods now.

If I were an NFL GM, I would never sign a quality player willing to sign a waiver clause removing a team from injury liabilities in a million years. Why? It makes me nervous where the guy's head is at? I don't want Collie literally willing to die on the field in order to play. This isn't a warrior mentality IMO; it's a death wish.

Nah, it was not a bang bang play, I have seen worse. Collie had at least 2 steps to take before the impact. He just does not get down quickly with his head. I have noticed that several times. In that play, he is hit from behind while lowering his head and the second player, the safety Coleman lowers his head to hit him too and they have a helmet-to-helmet contact in the wrong spot.

The Jaguars game, I felt Peyton led him on to the LB but then Dallas Clark has had his bell rung that way with Peyton too but never missed games the same way due to concussions. Collie's head is just different, IMO, and it is something he has to live with and accept. Wes Welker has had his bell rung a few times but he is made differently as well.

Another case where Collie did that was a playoff game a year ago in the 2009 playoffs vs the Ravens that we won 20-3. He lowered his head after catching the ball but Ray Lewis lowered his too and it ended up with a helmet-to-helmet hit but thankfully closer to the front of his head (where you have more padding from our maker :)) than the side of his head. So, we got the unnecessary roughness penalty in our favor, the Ravens whined about it, and Reggie caught a TD a few seconds just before half time to finish that series. Collie played well into the Saints SB, one of two guys who caught everything thrown in his way other than DC in the Saints SB.

Collie is awkward while trying to get down, no two ways about it. He is not as quick as a Reggie to get down and probably his head is softer for the kind of hits and position he plays in the slot. It was a Larry Foote elbow to Collie in pre-season that gave him his 3rd concussion, this guy just has a damaged head and given his history of not getting down quickly, is likely to get a concussion if he attempts to play again.

ridiculous.... all of this... 

ridiculous as well... on so many levels...

We can all voice our own opinions if Collie should play or not but it is up to him.  He worked most of his life to play in the NFL.  I can understand him not wanting to end his career like he did. If the doctors gave him a full recovery lets support him on whatever he wants to do. If he never plays another down in the NFL he will always have in the back of his mind what if? Does he have the talent level to play the outside instead of the slot? That wouldn't take all the risk out but might help avoid the massive hits. I sure don't want him to get injured anymore but every player out on the field is at risk and faces the same injury at any time. 

Yup, he seems bound & determined to play football still. Not a smart move. Is Collie broke? Does he wanna end his career on a high note? Does he want yet another serious head injury/concussion that could negatively affect the quality of the rest of his life? I don't know...San Fran is a nice spot  to compete for a ring & later hang up your cleats though. 

Well, I'm not sure if he's coming back just to get a ring though. Maybe he genuinely wants to play football for another good few years. The 49ers would be a good place to go, he could be a #2 receiver in that offense.

Interesting questions you 2, but the point is Collie's brain has suffered concussions in close proximity to 1 another. The lingering brain trauma has already been done & it will only worsen & not improve. There is no reset or rewind button & no innovative OC is gonna change that fact. I love Collie too & I appreciate his valiant contributions in INDY, but Austin is damaged goods now.

If I were an NFL GM, I would never sign a quality player willing to sign a waiver clause removing a team from injury liabilities in a million years. Why? It makes me nervous where the guy's head is at? I don't want Collie literally willing to die on the field in order to play. This isn't a warrior mentality IMO; it's a death wish.

No doubt, I agree. IMO, I personally don`t want to see Collie back on the field, only because of the "what if" factor. Its a real shame because the guy could play and was a stand up guy off the field, a fan favorite. I just always thought after he came back from the 1st concussion that he shouldn't be used in the slot darting across the middle of the field with a "hit me" sign on his back. 

While I admire Collie's backbone and guts, I think he needs to accept the fact that he has to chose between playing football and his own safety/well being in later life. I think his best bet is to simply retire from football. He's a smart guy, or so it seems, I'm sure he can find work, maybe even as a WR coach somewhere. But I feel his playing days are over. This is one area I think the league needs to step up and say no to any contracts he signs. The long term effects are just too risky to justify playing.

I just read a story on him, on Yahoo! and honestly i agree with what the writer said. he had what looked like to be a promising career. then he took a vicious hit to the head in philly and his world came tumbling down on him. comes back, gets another concussion, then last year in pre season suffers another one against pittsburgh. then gets a knee injury in week 1. in less then a month until pre season starts and he still has yet to be signed, although the Niners are interested, after they have possibly lost crabtree for the year, but not enough to sign him yet. They are waiting until after training camp to sign him or not. 

honestly, i dont see anything wrong in signing him for 1 year at league minimum especially since he has agreed to sign a waiver to not sue the team that signs him nor the NFL. 1 year to see if he can stay healthy and play a full season. I know a lot of you will say, " No Thank You "....and I was one of those people who said he should just retire, but I would not mind if the Colt's signed him to a 1 yr deal. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/austin-collie-not-long-ago-promising-young-receiver-143254326.html

I am sorry.  With all the leagues stuff on concussions.  I would hope no team signs him.  Because he obviously wont make the decision for himself.  Is playing really worth him have major problems later in life.  Just my opinion.  Save him from himself