Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. in the new offense

Dudley Smith

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I have been away for the forums for some time. I was wondering how others felt T.Y. Hilton would perform in this new offense. I think we will see improvement out of the RBs, TEs, and especially Luck in this new offense. From what I hear it will utilize the RBs and TEs much more so than last year. Obviously, Luck being back in a familiar system should strengthen his confidence, as will many more easy, short completions that were lacking last year. I look for a breakout season for Luck.

I don't worry about Reggie Wayne, simply because the man is a professional and can adapt his talent to any system. He will do well in this new offense. The one player I worry about it is Hilton, simply because it sounds like there will not be nearly as much deep stuff or even medium yardage passes coming out of this offense, which is what Hilton thrived on last season. I am not sure how he will perform in this new offense because I really did not get to see the Stanford offense very much when Luck was at the helm in his college days. Will a speedy receiver like Hilton be a good fit in such a offense? Or are possession guys a better fit?

I hope that some deep plays are kept in the playbook that will utilize Hilton's speed. Of course I know that the Stanford playbook contains some deep plays, but I hope that the Colts aren't so conservative that they completely abandon taking the deep shot to Hilton here and there throughout games, which is what kept so many defenses off balance last season. How do others feel Hilton will perform this coming season?

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I have been away for the forums for some time. I was wondering how others felt T.Y. Hilton would perform in this new offense. I think we will see improvement out of the RBs, TEs, and especially Luck in this new offense. From what I hear it will utilize the RBs and TEs much more so than last year. Obviously, Luck being back in a familiar system should strengthen his confidence, as will many more easy, short completions that were lacking last year. I look for a breakout season for Luck.

I don't worry about Reggie Wayne, simply because the man is a professional and can adapt his talent to any system. He will do well in this new offense. The one player I worry about it is Hilton, simply because it sounds like there will not be nearly as much deep stuff or even medium yardage passes coming out of this offense, which is what Hilton thrived on last season. I am not sure how he will perform in this new offense because I really did not get to see the Stanford offense very much when Luck was at the helm in his college days. Will a speedy receiver like Hilton be a good fit in such a offense? Or are possession guys a better fit?

I hope that some deep plays are kept in the playbook that will utilize Hilton's speed. Of course I know that the Stanford playbook contains some deep plays, but I hope that the Colts aren't so conservative that they completely abandon taking the deep shot to Hilton here and there throughout games, which is what kept so many defenses off balance last season. How do others feel Hilton will perform this coming season?

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/4/17/4234530/offensive-coordinator-pep-hamilton-touts-colts-no-coast-offense

I think this will help you some in understanding what one of ideas of our offensive philosophy will be

Stanford had speedy receivers like Ty Montgomery and Chris Owusu when Luck played. They ran short, intermediate, and deep routes, keeping the DB's on their heels. Stanford ran the ball very effectively and pulled the defense close to the line of scrimmage. When this happened, Stanford took shots deep. I expect that Hilton will have his chances at some deep passes.

In addition, from all of the reports from fans and media that attended OTA's, they were all saying that we will still be a team that throws downfield quite a bit.

Don't buy that 'no deep stuff' we've been hearing about.  It's from people making guesses.  Pep isn't going to describe his offense, it's up to the opposing D coordinators to figure that out.

You can bet that TY or DHB (or even Fleener) will be stretching the D's.  And if they don't use double coverage, Luck will be getting the deep balls to them.

There's no way Pep is going to let the D's stack the box or play only for the short game.  TY will be just fine.

They will still throw in some of Arians plays from last year offense, opposing DB's with the fear of RB runs and the thought of QB running will open up deep, that's how a lot of BobbyG long throws to wide open receivers, confusion in the opponents backfield from the Skins zone read option offense..... And seriously Colts need to use 1 ZRO offense out of a pistol formation just to make the DB's honest, just don't let either the QB or RB go past the line of scrimmage just stop and who ever the RB is blocks and there would be at least 1 receiver open down field after 1 DB bites on the roll out. Trust me it'll work, well for the first 1/2 of the season till it's pointed out on the game film of the next team that will be facing the Colts new Juggernaut offense, which it will be :}

Don't buy that 'no deep stuff' we've been hearing about.  It's from people making guesses.  Pep isn't going to describe his offense, it's up to the opposing D coordinators to figure that out.

You can bet that TY or DHB (or even Fleener) will be stretching the D's.  And if they don't use double coverage, Luck will be getting the deep balls to them.

There's no way Pep is going to let the D's stack the box or play only for the short game.  TY will be just fine.

"Don't buy that 'no deep stuff' we've been hearing about. It's from people making guesses. Pep isn't going to describe his offense, it's up to the opposing D coordinators to figure that out"

Well said

I think what the Colts do on offense depends entirely on what the defense they face does. Each week will be a different game plan. Wayne will get his but I think his numbers will go down because of Luck getting more comfortable with other receivers and backs. I know there are a lot of fans that want to see Luck put up big numbers but I hope he don't have to. We all were witness to the QB putting up huge numbers but I would take total ball control over that anyday. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball plus keeping our defense rested will go along way as far as wins.                   

I am the one of the biggest Hilton fans, but there is something about the new offense that makes me worried that TY is going to see a lot less balls. We have Reggie at #1, and from all the reports and posts I have read, DHB will be inserted into the #2 spot. It seems that we are going to run a lot more 2 TE sets, and also more 2 back sets. TY could play some #2, but he is way more suited to the #3 slot. But, if we are running more 2 TE and 2 back sets, there is no room for a slot WR. I think Fleener is going to take a lot of action away from Hilton. To me, unless Hilton can beat out DHB for the 2 spot, he is going to see less balls come his way. And, if we keep Williams in the backfield, I think he'll end up being the return man, instead of TY.

If it brings us a playoff and Super Bowl, then I'm ok with it. Its just a shame to me that our most explosive player might not get the touches he deserves, due to the above. I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

I am the one of the biggest Hilton fans, but there is something about the new offense that makes me worried that TY is going to see a lot less balls. We have Reggie at #1, and from all the reports and posts I have read, DHB will be inserted into the #2 spot. It seems that we are going to run a lot more 2 TE sets, and also more 2 back sets. TY could play some #2, but he is way more suited to the #3 slot. But, if we are running more 2 TE and 2 back sets, there is no room for a slot WR. I think Fleener is going to take a lot of action away from Hilton. To me, unless Hilton can beat out DHB for the 2 spot, he is going to see less balls come his way. And, if we keep Williams in the backfield, I think he'll end up being the return man, instead of TY.

If it brings us a playoff and Super Bowl, then I'm ok with it. Its just a shame to me that our most explosive player might not get the touches he deserves, due to the above. I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

He'll still see the field as I'm sure Pep understands that TY is the most explosive player on the roster. We'll see a few formations that let TY get in the game

Andy Reid still had plenty of explosive aspects to his variant of the WCO, and used Desean Jackson in every bit the way Arians used TY in our system last year. TY will still get his deep looks, and I expect him to see a lot of plays where he's able to work in space. He'll be fine. People get too caught up on the whole "WCO" label.