Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Schlereth Tapes Surfaces.....

NewColtsFan

Yet another guy who correctly identified that the Colts were "Lucky" to be 11-5 last year, and then ended his analysis there.  After all, the Colts were outscored by 20 points or so by opponents last year, and still won 11 games.  Really, Luck needed to play perfectly in at least four game-winning drives for some "Lucky" wins.  However, the next part of the analysis would be to recognize the off-season improvement in the OL, young offensive skill positions, secondary, and front-seven depth.  (We finally had a lot of FA dollars to spend!)  Whether you believe the Colts' spending to be wise or not, you have to recognize that there are a lot of elements now that were not there last year.  And who have the Colts lost?  Freeney?  Justice?  It's hard to find an area that isn't looking up...but the "analysts" are just seeing what they want to see...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#1 Defense + 8-8 Record + No Postseason = Failure Season

Stats mean nothing if you're not playing in January. Well actually they still mean nothing in January cause as they say, the playoffs are basically a whole new season

Excellent point TK85! Plus, Big Ben's ailments/injuries are becoming more common place now too. 

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/with_pittsburgh_steelers_qb_be.html

When your precious Steelers get annihilated by the Bengals again, what will your excuse be then Mark? Oh BTW, DC Mike Zimmer is just as good as DC Dick LeBeau IMHO.

Yet another guy who correctly identified that the Colts were "Lucky" to be 11-5 last year, and then ended his analysis there. After all, the Colts were outscored by 20 points or so by opponents last year, and still won 11 games. Really, Luck needed to play perfectly in at least four game-winning drives for some "Lucky" wins. However, the next part of the analysis would be to recognize the off-season improvement in the OL, young offensive skill positions, secondary, and front-seven depth. (We finally had a lot of FA dollars to spend!) Whether you believe the Colts' spending to be wise or not, you have to recognize that there are a lot of elements now that were not there last year. And who have the Colts lost? Freeney? Justice? It's hard to find an area that isn't looking up...but the "analysts" are just seeing what they want to see...

I agree with Archer

Cause imo, we gained much more than we lost

I don't know. Maybe ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth wants to be part of his on video segment called "Off The Mark."

He's actually a smart lineman from his days with the Redskins & Broncos. I like the guy normally. He's just way off base on the 2013 Colts season. What's his colleague Tedy Bruschi think about our chances this year? Mark & Tedy are the only 2 experts worth listening to at ESPN in my book. Trent Dilfer & Steve Young are okay too I guess. 

I can handle constructive criticism of my team just not an easy cop out answer like since Bruce Arians is gone INDY's postseason hopes are over. Yeah right...Bang up research there ESPN Einstein's.  haha

=

I don't know. Maybe ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth wants to be part of his on video segment called "Off The Mark."

He's actually a smart lineman from his days with the Redskins & Broncos. I like the guy normally. He's just way off base on the 2013 Colts season. What's his colleague Tedy Bruschi think about our chances this year? Mark & Tedy are the only 2 experts worth listening to at ESPN in my book. Trent Dilfer & Steve Young are okay too I guess. 

I can handle constructive criticism of my team just not an easy cop out answer like since Bruce Arians is gone INDY's postseason hopes are over. Yeah right...Bang up research there ESPN Einstein's.  haha

I don't know how 'way off base' Schlereth is....

If you listen to the full tape, he says the Colts will still have a good year, just not playoff good.

So, I interpret that to mean 9-7.

I'm predicting 10-6 and a spot in the playoffs.      But how far off is 9-7 from 10-6?    I mean, really?    Is it that far off base?

I don't think so.

He also predicted the Ravens won't even make it to the playoffs this year. 

I don't care if someone predicts we'll miss the playoffs, as much as I'm curious as to WHY they think that.    As I noted in my original post, Schlereth says we'll miss Arians and he still questions our OL.     I don't think that's unreasonable.     I don't agree with him,  but I don't think it's unreasonable.

Just a different perspective.....

#1 Defense + 8-8 Record + No Postseason = Failure Season

Stats mean nothing if you're not playing in January. Well actually they still mean nothing in January cause as they say, the playoffs are basically a whole new season

A 8-8 record results from a total team effort not just the defense. Being rated #1 tells us that the defense did there job and did it well. The lack of offense and turnovers was the cause of the Steelers going 8-8. Don't get me wrong as I am no Steeler fan but lay blame where it should be. Example on the other side: The Saints. They had the 2nd highest output on offense last season and went 7-9. 

Can we play the exact same way we did last year and win 11 games? Probably not.

Did we lose a couple big names (on paper)? Yes.

Did we upgrade our talent base? Yes, and by a sizable margin.

Is it reasonable to expect our rookies from last year to be better? Yes.

Add it all up, and we really should have a season similar record-wise to what we had last year, give or take a game or two. It does require projected improvement because of all the breaks we got last year, but we're in the right position to make them. We're a more dangerous team to the upper echelon teams in the league than we were last year, and that will matter more in the playoffs.

=

If you listen to the full tape, he says the Colts will still have a good year, just not playoff good.

I'm predicting 10-6 and a spot in the playoffs.      But how far off is 9-7 from 10-6?    I mean, really?    Is it that far off base?

I don't think so.

I don't care if someone predicts we'll miss the playoffs, as much as I'm curious as to WHY they think that.    As I noted in my original post, Schlereth says we'll miss Arians and he still questions our OL.     I don't think that's unreasonable.     I don't agree with him,  but I don't think it's unreasonable.

Add in the fact that these so called experts have to make comments to keep the interest up for their shows.  If all of the 'experts' agreed it would be too boring. Is there any other excuse on why Bayless and Smith have a following?  Their show is up front with the point counter point comments. 

Add in the fact that these so called experts have to make comments to keep the interest up for their shows.  If all of the 'experts' agreed it would be too boring. Is there any other excuse on why Bayless and Smith have a following?  Their show is up front with the point counter point comments. 

I think there's a big difference between media commentators who are journalists like Bayless and Stephen A,   versus experts who are former players,  like Schlereth or Brusci...

It's former players who catch my ear....    rarely with the media types.    Some players are better than others.   Some do more homework than others.   But I try not to react in such a way as to say.... "  I don't agree with someone therefor he doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's lazy and didn't do enough homework."     I think too many Colts' fans here are too quick to jump to that conclusion.    Wish it wasn't so.    But sometimes a difference of opinion is just that and only that.   Nothing more.

The one media type I pay attention to is Colin Cowherd.  He's an outside the box thinker who is exceptionally bright and approaches things from different perspectives.    I don't always agree with him,  but he's refreshingly different from the pack...

I think we should criticise predictions once we know how they panned out, rather than crucify someone before we know just how inaccurate they were. That said, if we had a shaky o-line last year, we would have won about 10 more games than we actually did. Shaky is a vast improvement.

=

I don't think so.

A nice perspective it is too NCF. I just don't know why Mark thinks that just because we won't sneak up on teams this season we won't make the Playoffs? Who is to say we won't leap forward? Regression isn't automatic you know. When Mark won the SB in 1997, did the Broncos regress in 1998 when the won a 2nd SB? Nope. Yes, there are questions about how quickly our offense will solidify & execute Pep's Playbook, but we gelled quickly as an offense & defense when Pagano contracted Cancer & this year we get Pagano the entire year on the sideline. Plus, I want to see how well Pagano makes game site adjustments too. 

10-6 is good enough to make the Playoffs in some seasons even if the Colts back into the post season. I'm cool with it.

I think we should criticise predictions once we know how they panned out, rather than crucify someone before we know just how inaccurate they were. That said, if we had a shaky o-line last year, we would have won about 10 more games than we actually did. Shaky is a vast improvement.

Good point BHC. It's kind of like when someone says your wife or girlfriend is heavy or not attractive. You get a little defensive and angry initially & then you calm down, count to 10 silently, & then you really think about what the person is saying. Is the person trying to tick you off, joke with you, or offer legitimate advice after they get your attention? Yes, there is something to be said for waiting for a prediction to come to fruition or not prior to pulling out the pitchforks & torches. But, if an analyst is completely wrong please let me select the Medieval torture device that compels the reporter in question to recant their projection. Thank you. 

Lets see...hot tar, the rack, the knee splitter,  the iron maiden, can a witch float? Just Kidding! 

Here's Mark Schlereth's tape where he predicts the Colts will have a good season,  but not a playoff caliber season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50864/video-schlereth-on-afc-playoff-field

Also,  today, he was on SportsCenter and the topic was which of the Big 3 Rookie QB's will have a Sophomore slump...   RG3/Wilson/Luck...

He said Luck because he'll miss Arians and because Schlereth doesn't believe in our offensive line. 

Doesn't believe in our offensive line? Nice to see someone scouting a team and really paying attention to details. I mean the holes our O line blew open for the running backs last year. I didn't even realize it, even though I watched every game. Replayed portions of it. However, if you slow the tape down and really pay attention you realize...........This guy has all the brains of a dead bullfrog.

Last year our O line had more issues then sports illustrated magazine. Clearly a warm body with any sort of cerebral cortex function is an upgrade, right? 

Good point BHC. It's kind of like when someone says your wife or girlfriend is heavy or not attractive. You get a little defensive and angry initially & then you calm down, count to 10 silently, & then you really think about what the person is saying. Is the person trying to tick you off, joke with you, or offer legitimate advice after they get your attention? Yes, there is something to be said for waiting for a prediction to come to fruition or not prior to pulling out the pitchforks & torches. But, if an analyst is completely wrong please let me select the Medieval torture device that compels the reporter in question to recant their projection. Thank you. 

Lets see...hot tar, the rack, the knee splitter,  the iron maiden, can a witch float? Just Kidding! 

You missed a season ticket for the Jets there SW1. Come on, wake up!

Of course we know your kidding, I mean seriously everyone knows a only a witch floats. My vote goes for "Drawn and Quartered". Good old fashion American torture device.

I think there's a big difference between media commentators who are journalists like Bayless and Stephen A,   versus experts who are former players,  like Schlereth or Brusci...

It's former players who catch my ear....    rarely with the media types.    Some players are better than others.   Some do more homework than others.   But I try not to react in such a way as to say.... "  I don't agree with someone therefor he doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's lazy and didn't do enough homework."     I think too many Colts' fans here are too quick to jump to that conclusion.    Wish it wasn't so.    But sometimes a difference of opinion is just that and only that.   Nothing more.

The one media type I pay attention to is Colin Cowherd.  He's an outside the box thinker who is exceptionally bright and approaches things from different perspectives.    I don't always agree with him,  but he's refreshingly different from the pack...

I have heard good things about Mr. Cowherd. I will have to check him out.

Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayless always get a bum rap, but their Roman gladiator atmosphere appeals to me, especially when they argue. Defend your position & prove to me that your passion has merit. People just think Stephen & Skip are the Jerry Springer duo on ESPN they're not. They tackle subjects about race, sex, Championship pedigree, Jerry Sandusky & University politics that few other media outlets dare tread, & Brett Favre arrogance & pre madonna elitism status. I love controversy & I wanna see some serious heat, conviction, & tension. No PG for me let's at least go for an R rating thank you. 2 adversaries sparing with their tongues as swords & their minds & wit as shields. 

You missed a season ticket for the Jets there SW1. Come on, wake up!

The NY Jets are too easy. There's no sport in killing an already wounded animal BHC. I can be cruel, but not sadistic i.e. deriving direct pleasure from someone else's pain & misery unless it's the Cowboys that is.  haha

I have heard good things about Mr. Cowherd. I will have to check him out.

Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayless always get a bum rap, but their Roman gladiator atmosphere appeals to me, especially when they argue. Defend your position & prove to me that your passion has merit. People just think Stephen & Skip are the Jerry Springer duo on ESPN they're not. They tackle subjects about race, sex, Championship pedigree, Jerry Sandusky & University politics that few other media outlets dare tread, & Brett Favre arrogance & pre madonna elitism status. I love controversy & I wanna see some serious heat, conviction, & tension. No PG for me let's at least go for an R rating thank you. 2 adversaries sparing with their tongues as swords & their minds & wit as shields. 

You have to have ESPNU,  which stands for ESPN-University to get his TV show...  East Coast it's 10a-1p.

Otherwise, you have to get him on radio.   Again, the same time frame,  but on your local ESPN radio channel if you have one where you live....

Hope that helps...

Of course we know your kidding, I mean seriously everyone knows a only a witch floats. My vote goes for "Drawn and Quartered". Good old fashion American torture device.

A good & effective method cranium cramp, but truthfully my preferred method of coerced persuasion is Black Metal in a foreign language at full blast for 72 hours straight accompanied with brilliant, flashing strobe lights. Trust me, the reporter will realize the error of their ways...

You have to have ESPNU,  which stands for ESPN-University to get his TV show...  East Coast it's 10a-1p.

Otherwise, you have to get him on radio.   Again, the same time frame,  but on your local ESPN radio channel if you have one where you live....

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the heads up NCF. BrentMc11 listens to him as well & thinks I would like him too. So, I need to watch him now for a few episodes at least. Thanks for the recommendation.  :thmup:

And where did that motivation get those coaches?

Fisher: No Playoffs

Carroll: Exit from Playoffs

Harbaugh #1: SB Loss

Harbaugh #2: SB Win because his PLAYERS made the plays necessary to WIN.

Like I said, it comes down to the players at the end of it all. Motivation only goes but so far. You ever listen to Rex Ryan's pregame speeches? Some of them are pretty good, but if you watched a Jets game you'd think they got right outta bed and went to the field

If you believe a coach cannot transform a team then you have either never played or never played under a good coach.

A good & effective method cranium cramp, but truthfully my preferred method of coerced persuasion is Black Metal in a foreign language at full blast for 72 hours straight accompanied with brilliant, flashing strobe lights. Trust me, the reporter will realize the error of their ways...

In all seriousness, I am well versed in the principles of this document & would never mistreat anyone. I just needed to state that fact publicly. Thank you.

Geneva-Convention-2.jpg

The colts are a small market team. They will always get the doubts from the media. Year in and year out, there's always something wrong with the colts... I remember when our window was "closed" not too long ago too... It's weird. We've been underdogs every season for so long I honestly like it that way better.

Has nothing to do with being a small market team

Can we play the exact same way we did last year and win 11 games? Probably not.

Did we lose a couple big names (on paper)? Yes.

Did we upgrade our talent base? Yes, and by a sizable margin.

Is it reasonable to expect our rookies from last year to be better? Yes.

Add it all up, and we really should have a season similar record-wise to what we had last year, give or take a game or two. It does require projected improvement because of all the breaks we got last year, but we're in the right position to make them. We're a more dangerous team to the upper echelon teams in the league than we were last year, and that will matter more in the playoffs.

We played a LOT of bad football last year with all new faces and all that youth.

Andrew was a rather amazing in big moments because he has IT!

Thou it is year one of a New Offense, I expect us to play considerably better, more consistent football with our new talent and a year of experience. Average teams beware the Colts.

Teddy is very knowledgable about the Colts and praises the Colts FO for the moves were making.

Here's Mark Schlereth's tape where he predicts the Colts will have a good season,  but not a playoff caliber season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50864/video-schlereth-on-afc-playoff-field

Also,  today, he was on SportsCenter and the topic was which of the Big 3 Rookie QB's will have a Sophomore slump...   RG3/Wilson/Luck...

He said Luck because he'll miss Arians and because Schlereth doesn't believe in our offensive line. 

Luck may miss Bruce Arians but I think he's more than good enough to excel under any of a number of offensive coordinators..

Mark Schlereth doesnt believe in our offensive line NOW.......as compared to last year? 

Playoff-caliber is a vauge phrase......we coild be 10-6 and miss the playoffs like the Bears did...

But barring injury, there wont be any offemnsive slump. We werent that good on offense last year.

Rebuit line....Darius Heyward Bey replacing Doinnie Avery.. Ahmad Bradshaw ADDED to Ballard and Brown.

3 or 4 free agent acquisitions on defense.....starters?

We may not be as lucky. We may not win 11 times.....

But we'll be better than 2012......

I agree with Commissioner  D.....These guys just dont study all 32 teams..and they always know much more about the Jets and Giants, Patriots and Cowboys than they do Indy, Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee.....

Luck may miss Bruce Arians but I think he's more than good enough to excel under any of a number of offensive coordinators..

Mark Schlereth doesnt believe in our offensive line NOW.......as compared to last year? 

Playoff-caliber is a vauge phrase......we coild be 10-6 and miss the playoffs like the Bears did...

But barring injury, there wont be any offemnsive slump. We werent that good on offense last year.

Rebuit line....Darius Heyward Bey replacing Doinnie Avery.. Ahmad Bradshaw ADDED to Ballard and Brown.

3 or 4 free agent acquisitions on defense.....starters?

We may not be as lucky. We may not win 11 times.....

But we'll be better than 2012......

I agree with Commissioner  D.....These guys just dont study all 32 teams..and they always know much more about the Jets and Giants, Patriots and Cowboys than they do Indy, Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee.....

Good post, OUM....

I think one of your better ones....    Hope lots of Colts fans will take the time to read it...

Really good post....!      :thmup:

Preeeeetty sure analysts like Mel Kiper never had real jobs in the NFL. I wasn't talking about people like Polian. Really isn't that hard to figure out.

so presumably you also weren't talking about Mark Schlereth?  You know, the retired NFL player turned analyst?  The retired NFL player turned NFL analyst that this thread is about?  

Well Done!   :clap:

Teddy is very knowledgable about the Colts and praises the Colts FO for the moves were making.

No argument there Joker. I have always respected Tedy Bruschi as a LB & a darn good NFL analyst. Even if I disagree with him, which is rare but it does happen on occasion, I respect that he tells me his thought process or what drew him to reach that conclusion & he is very fair.

If Tedy thinks that INDY is building a dynasty through wise decision making, that carries considerable weight with me personally.