Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My read on the Colts offseason player moves

Superman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not have thought twice about taking Konz and his 4.5 sacks allowed according to Pro Football Weekly over Tannehills 12 td passes and 13 picks , The Dolphins needed a Right Guard not a 3rd or 4th round QB. the other players were far better then Tannehill

Why are we down on Ryan Tannehill? Because he's not Luck, Griffin, Wilson or Kaepernick? He was a rookie quarterback. I think he did a pretty good job, given the state of the roster. I'm more bullish on Tannehill than you are.

Perhaps he was overdrafted, but that happens, especially with quarterbacks. Sanchez went fifth, Locker went 8th, Ponder with 12th.

Super write-up... however I would like substantiation on one point that could be construed as a contradiction.

You say you would like another pass-rusher, but you would have preferred us to pick up Rhodes over Werner. Now I know the BPA approach has been driven home at this point, but I would say a pass-rusher offers more value (which is a component of BPA) at #24 than a cornerback. If Werner has been identified as a potential scheme-fit we may have a 10-year double digit sacker on our hands. There was not many pass rushers of Werner's pedigree after the first round, in hindsight, I think it was an obvious choice.

I agree with you here, which is why I'm fine with the Werner pick. It is a higher valued position, especially in our defense, and it makes sense that we went that way.

I just really like Rhodes. Not a lot of corners I would have wanted in the first round, to be honest. But he stands out to me as a guy that should take to the pros very easily. I'm not really second guessing the Werner pick, just saying how much I wanted Rhodes.

Also, we need pass rushers, but that doesn't mean we need to dedicate first round resources to the position. Even after drafting Werner, I was hoping we'd grab Sam Montgomery or Corey Lemonier. Not only did we not add another one, we got rid of one when we traded Jerry Hughes. It's just a little concerning to me. We only have one highly regarded pass rusher in Mathis. Hopefully Werner fits in and does well, and hopefully the linemen (Hughes, RJF, Redding, etc.) help make life miserable for opposing quarterbacks. And I keep forgetting about Sidbury, but he might have an impact also. I just feel like we're still kind of thin at the position.

Not worried about Cherilus.  He's missed 5 games in 5 years, and he's been participating in OTAs fully.  He's probably my biggest impact FA.  I would consider Hugh Thornton our top rookie, whereas I expect Montori to be a rotational guy this year.  I'm excited about the depth of the front-seven, since injuries on the DL kind of killed us last year. 

I prefer Werner over Floyd. Just wasn't all that impressed with Floyd's potential to be a difference maker in our defensive front. At least not right away. Seems more like a three tech than anything else, to me.

I agree Werner was a better fit for our team but Floyd was the highest rated player on my board at 3, then Werner at 16 and Rhodes at 23.Floyd was  considered a top 5 pick by many analyst, just surprised he fell that far.

Who would you choose instead of Hughes? What I've seen of him I wouldn't call "explosive," more of a combination of swift and powerful. He gets wherever he wants along the line, and he can close well for a guy his size. 

I get your concern on Toler. I'm not worried about his ability when he's on the field, but he's had some injury issues as well. The fact that his contract is "pay as you go" makes me more comfortable.

RJF got a nice deal, also. In our multiple front, I think he'll fit in just fine, whether he's rotated often or is a mainstay on the field. He and Redding should make a nice tandem, I think. His contract isn't that concerning to me, as it's also "pay as you go." 

Another poster wrote an excellent summary of the way Grigson structured most of our free agent contracts this offseason. Most of them are very balanced and leave the team with a lot of flexibility moving forward. The only one that's not is Cherilus.

1 of a few players

Brandon Jenkins-can never have enough pass rushers

Andre Ellington-RB

Kenjon Barner-RB

Baccari Rambo-S (would have nullified the Boyett pick I know)

Braden Wilson-FB

Tommy Bohanon-FB

Cooper Taylor-S

Chris Thompson-RB

Quanterus Smith-DE/OLB

Quinton Dial-DE/NT

Overall I think we had a solid draft-Just I might of done a couple different things not that I am complaining, I think most people had there own ideas of what they would do

Free agent addition that I'm most concerned about: Gosder Cherilus

As a firm believer that everything on offense hinges on the play of your front, I am most concerned about this guy’s ability to stay upright. We all watched Andrew scramble for his life last season. And more painfully, we watched our offense the year before that. A rock solid Oline is a must if we’re going to get everything out of our offensive skill players. If this guy goes down…they all take a small step back.

Excellent point. If Cherilus is as advertised, he makes life easier on the right guard. There's a trickle down effect down the entire line. 

Most exciting draft pick:Bjoern Werner

Gotta be. "I can't promise you I'll be the next Dwight Freeney. I promise you I'll work hard every day and just try to be the best I can be." He’ll be hunting the best in nickel and dime situations. And that quick burst will shine through….helping us forget about DFree.

Great quote. I really like Werner's attitude and enthusiasm. I wasn't that thrilled with the pick at the time, and had kind of written him off prior to the draft. But he's saying all the right things, that's for sure.

Player I most wish we had drafted: Margus Hunt

We really did not have the chance to get him considering where he was rated and the selections we had. However, I was chomping at the bit to get this guy. I am of the opinion that if you can have a NT who commands double teams, a guy like Margus Hunt turns into a monster. As it is Werner will play that role.

Like you say, he wasn't really in range for us. Maybe if we had a second rounder. And I think I like Werner more.

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time.

Why are we down on Ryan Tannehill? Because he's not Luck, Griffin, Wilson or Kaepernick? He was a rookie quarterback. I think he did a pretty good job, given the state of the roster. I'm more bullish on Tannehill than you are.

Perhaps he was overdrafted, but that happens, especially with quarterbacks. Sanchez went fifth, Locker went 8th, Ponder with 12th.

I just dont think he has the poise in the pocket or the ability to consistently pick apart NFL defenses

I agree Werner was a better fit for our team but Floyd was the highest rated player on my board at 3, then Werner at 16 and Rhodes at 23.Floyd was  considered a top 5 pick by many analyst, just surprised he fell that far.

Floyd did drop. Weird draft all around this year. Rhodes dropped as well, he was up in the top ten at one point. I just think he's a better fit for a traditional four down front. 

1 of a few players

Brandon Jenkins-can never have enough pass rushers

Andre Ellington-RB

Kenjon Barner-RB

Baccari Rambo-S (would have nullified the Boyett pick I know)

Braden Wilson-FB

Tommy Bohanon-FB

Cooper Taylor-S

Chris Thompson-RB

Quanterus Smith-DE/OLB

Quinton Dial-DE/NT

Overall I think we had a solid draft-Just I might of done a couple different things not that I am complaining, I think most people had there own ideas of what they would do

Give me Smith or Dial, as I think they could have the impact on our team that Hughes is expected to have. The others, I don't think so, especially the backs.

It's a fifth round pick, so you could go a hundred different ways there. But Grigson moved up for Hughes, suggesting that he had his eye on him specifically going into the draft. 

"As for not following the heard mentality.... good for you. But at some point you might want to take some stock in your educated opinions.... Do we have to go through the list? Jones, Okafur, Jenkins, feels like I'm forgetting someone... and now Bishop". 

What do those guys have to do with anything? they haven't played a down yet? I was talking about Tannehill....The starting QB for the Dolphons who had 12 TD's and 13 picks all season long...For even a rookie those numbers aren't good whos started 16 games. Did I say he was a bust? No but you better believe I expected a little more from a QB that was drafted with the 8th overall pick into a west coast offense....Perhaps I should have worked out for Miami through year 1, I didn't say anything of Okafor/Jenkins or Jones either in that post either (The Jones I was referring to was Chandler Jones). Do I consider any of this personal? No but you write as if heaven forbid someone has a different opinion then a scout/coach/GM/analysts then that person must be wrong because that proffessional said so when there are seriously countless examples proving just how wrong they can be as well, None of this is an exact science but I dont just give an opinion on what I think of a players ability without thought or just to regurgitate what someone else said

Gavin....

You're getting fixed on one year.   Tannehill's rookie year.    If he turns out to be a bust -- fine.   But the front office and coaches view him as someone to build their franchise around for 10-12 years.    So, you see one year and pronounce him a failure because other players were better.   If he turns into what the Dolphins expect him to, Miami won't give a rip about his rookie year, which they thought was pretty good anyway.  I think the worst you can say about Tannehill is that he's not Luck or RG3 or Wilson or Kaepernick.    That still leaves plenty of room to be pretty darn good.

This is the same type of analysis you offered when you said you'd want no part of Ansah or Jordan anywhere in the first round.   What happens?   They both go in the top-5.   You said you want to see proven performance on tape.   Scouts want to see physical and mental tools they can build with.    

You can decry the 'heard mentality' all you want,  but part of the reason there is one is because more times than not,  the heard is right.    Of course there are plenty of times they're wrong,  that's part of the business.

And as for my mentioning your list of favorites,  what they have to do with anything is this....   you thought Jones and Okafor were 1st rounders (they went in the 4th)  you thought Jenkins was a 2nd rounder (he went in the 5th)   you thought Bishop should have been our pick in the 6th round (he goes undrafted)....    If you had followed the heard,  you might've realized how off you were....   now maybe they turn out to be great players who should've been drafted higher...    but maybe not.

And if you think all I do is repeat what I read on ESPN or NFL.com or some other website,  let me remind you that when guys like Stepfan Taylor and Chase Thomas were being talked about as 2nd and 3rd rounders,  I was saying I didn't want them that high.   That they weren't that good.    That I didn't want Taylor before the 4th or 5th round.    He went in the 5th.   That I didn't want Thomas before the 5th or 6th round,  he went undrafted.   So, I've got my own opinions that don't conform to the heard and I'm not afraid to share them.     

But at some point.....   you gotta let go and move on....    if Bishop turns into something and Boyett flames out,  then you can take credit....     by the way,  you think Bishop is better because he can help this year and Boyett may not be able to.   Again,  you're focused on one year.    Grigson took Chapman not because of what he could do in 2012,  but because of 2013 and beyond.  Looks like a very smart move.     He takes Boyett not because of 2013,  but because of what he can give in 2014 and beyond.  Again, likely a very smart move.

A fan thinks this year -- right now.    A GM thinks Big Picture -- this year, plus beyond.   Big, big difference.

Sorry this went so long.....  wanted to address all the issues you raised.....

I'm your friend -- always -- even though sometimes it may not feel like it!       :thmup:

I just dont think he has the poise in the pocket or the ability to consistently pick apart NFL defenses

Poise in the pocket isn't a common trait for rookie quarterbacks, especially when they have hardly no receivers to throw to. I'm willing to give Tannehill the customary two or three years in the NFL to show his stuff. I think we're getting a little spoiled by these young guys who come in and light the world on fire.

I agree with Superman regarding Tennehill. If you go back and look at first round rookie QBs that started in their first year and look at their passer rating (I know this isn't the best rating system, and neither is QBR) you will notice that he is in line with many of them. In other words, he's not an outlier either way-- good or bad. He did what's expected from a rookie QB chosen in the first round. The outliers would be RGIII and Wilson, who as rookies have a passer rating at or above 100. The main influence for this is the introduction of the spread read offenses in the NFL. That's what makes comparing Tannehill to the other rookies this past year so difficult. Overall, he's done just fine.

"You're getting fixed on one year. Tannehill's rookie year. If he turns out to be a bust -- fine. But the front office and coaches view him as someone to build their franchise around for 10-12 years. So, you see one year and pronounce him a failure because other players were better. If he turns into what the Dolphins expect him to, Miami won't give a rip about his rookie year, which they thought was pretty good anyway. I think the worst you can say about Tannehill is that he's not Luck or RG3 or Wilson or Kaepernick. That still leaves plenty of room to be pretty darn good".

He was a top 10 pick...If Luck would have put up similar numbers this forum would have rioted, I just think Tannehills ceiling is Micheal Vick like passing numbers.......and no its not because both players are athletic.......Its because neither player drafted was talked about for being able to pick a defense apart with there arm, Both had/have alot to learn at there position

This is the same type of analysis you offered when you said you'd want no part of Ansah or Jordan anywhere in the first round. What happens? They both go in the top-5. You said you want to see proven performance on tape. Scouts want to see physical and mental tools they can build with.   

different position entirely, different skill sets besides those players have yet to play a down, what they do in the league has yet to be determined, a few of those players were injured there senior year and were still recovering anyway. Bishop-a 6th round pick, worth the risk at that point.

"And if you think all I do is repeat what I read on ESPN or NFL.com or some other website, let me remind you that when guys like Stepfan Taylor and Chase Thomas were being talked about as 2nd and 3rd rounders, I was saying I didn't want them that high. That they weren't that good".

I was saying the same thing

This is the same type of analysis you offered when you said you'd want no part of Ansah or Jordan anywhere in the first round. What happens? They both go in the top-5. You said you want to see proven performance on tape. Scouts want to see physical and mental tools they can build with.

Of course they do but my personal opinion is I want the numbers to back up there "freakish" athleticism........Many athletic freaks have not panned out in the NFL who were drafted early do to them being athletic freaks. Some have, many have not its not because they dont have the skills, its because they are not polished at there position...Ill take the guy thats the more polished player whos got some athleticism but by no means an athletic freak...I dont think there is anything wrong with that.......you win with your brain and outsmarting your opponent

As others have mentioned, an exceedingly well thought out and well written topic Superman!!!!  I like ALL of your comments....especially Butler!!!  He earned his contract for sure!!  Some thoughts:

Free agent addition that should make the most immediate impact: LaRon Landry:  I am at a cross between Landry and DHB....and a dash of Bradshaw now :)  So decisive I am today ...

I love the comments on Shaun Phillips and Montori Hughes.  I thought with Jimmy Ray coming in Phillips made sense based on their past, and I had mentioned Hughes as a 'small school possibility in and earlier thread.  I too hope he has overcome some of those UT issues that led him to Tennessee Martin.  A truly great athlete for his size.

I liked Rhodes if we took a CB.  I was thinking bigs all along...Werner was not one of them....but I love his energy.

Again...nice job here.  Grigson went against some of the league's thought processes as they relate to FA signings, but I like them.  I hope to see some hungry guys out there....in fact I know Pags has them hungry.  I for one cannot wait!!  :) :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!!!

So since 21 is some random player in this new era..... you ever given any thought of changing your username to "30issuperman" ?

I think Laron will live up to that for you haha

I was hoping Vontae would take 21 and live up to my username haha

But I'll keep it as is for Bob Sanders

Personally I see John Boyett as being primarily a special teamer (when he's ready to play). The guy is tough as nails and knows how to tackle.

It wouldn't surprise me if he leads the team in ST tackles this year or next year.

1. We've made substantial (potentially) improvements to the O-line. This is the key to a successful offense, especially in the red zone.

2. We've made substantial (potentially) improvements to the D-line. This helps in both run support and pass defense if we're able to create more pressure on opposing QBs.

3. Our defensive backfield is much more improved with the addition of Landry and Toler playing alongside Davis, Bethea, and Butler.

4. Our run game has improved with the stronger O-line, the addition of a fullback, and adding Ahmad Bradshaw to carry the load along with Ballard and Brown.

5. We've improved our receiving corps with the addition of DHB.

6. We've changed our offensive scheme to focus on a more balanced attack, benefiting both the offense and defense with ball control, and longer & more sustained drives.

7. Our special teams will be improved by having a more competitive and deeper roster.

Overall, we've made improvements to every facet of our team. I can't wait for the season to start!

I'd add #8...

The Colts had a bunch of rookies who got significant playing time and experience last year. This team has a lot of youth, but youth with critical experience that will help them develop as players. I think even before many of the changes made, this team was going to improve.

"You're getting fixed on one year. Tannehill's rookie year. If he turns out to be a bust -- fine. But the front office and coaches view him as someone to build their franchise around for 10-12 years. So, you see one year and pronounce him a failure because other players were better. If he turns into what the Dolphins expect him to, Miami won't give a rip about his rookie year, which they thought was pretty good anyway. I think the worst you can say about Tannehill is that he's not Luck or RG3 or Wilson or Kaepernick. That still leaves plenty of room to be pretty darn good".

He was a top 10 pick...If Luck would have put up similar numbers this forum would have rioted, I just think Tannehills ceiling is Micheal Vick like passing numbers.......and no its not because both players are athletic.......Its because neither player drafted was talked about for being able to pick a defense apart with there arm, Both had/have alot to learn at there position

different position entirely, different skill sets besides those players have yet to play a down, what they do in the league has yet to be determined, a few of those players were injured there senior year and were still recovering anyway. Bishop-a 6th round pick, worth the risk at that point.

"And if you think all I do is repeat what I read on ESPN or NFL.com or some other website, let me remind you that when guys like Stepfan Taylor and Chase Thomas were being talked about as 2nd and 3rd rounders, I was saying I didn't want them that high. That they weren't that good".

I was saying the same thing

Of course they do but my personal opinion is I want the numbers to back up there "freakish" athleticism........Many athletic freaks have not panned out in the NFL who were drafted early do to them being athletic freaks. Some have, many have not its not because they dont have the skills, its because they are not polished at there position...Ill take the guy thats the more polished player whos got some athleticism but by no means an athletic freak...I dont think there is anything wrong with that.......you win with your brain and outsmarting your opponent

There was concern Micheal Vick couldn't pick apart defenses....legit concerns because Vick is dumb as a box of rocks. Tannehill, on the other hand, was a biology major and had plans for med school.

Personally I see John Boyett as being primarily a special teamer (when he's ready to play). The guy is tough as nails and knows how to tackle.

It wouldn't surprise me if he leads the team in ST tackles this year or next year.

I have high hopes for Boyett, but I also hope Lefeged keeps up his streak of making plays on ST's...

There was concern Micheal Vick couldn't pick apart defenses....legit concerns because Vick is dumb as a box of rocks. Tannehill, on the other hand, was a biology major and had plans for med school.

He couldn't even name the teams in his own division on national tv, Often times picking apart defenses doesn't come down to finding throwing to an exact spot but remaining calm under pressure and finding the open man, I think just like Vick, Tannehill will crack frequently when under pressure

He couldn't even name the teams in his own division on national tv, Often times picking apart defenses doesn't come down to finding throwing to an exact spot but remaining calm under pressure and finding the open man, I think just like Vick, Tannehill will crack frequently when under pressure

What I like about Tannehill is that he's been at the position only a short time, but has progressed to the point he's already a starter in the NFL. He's a smart guy with great physical tools, so I think he can continue to develop and improve his game. It wouldn't surprise me to see him really flourish in a few years.

What I like about Tannehill is that he's been at the position only a short time, but has progressed to the point he's already a starter in the NFL. He's a smart guy with great physical tools, so I think he can continue to develop and improve his game. It wouldn't surprise me to see him really flourish in a few years.

I think he was a reach for a desperate team but I agree that maybe in a few years he could be one of the better quarterbacks in the AFC.

He could name the afc east, just not the other divisions. Who cares?

I think he was a reach for a desperate team but I agree that maybe in a few years he could be one of the better quarterbacks in the AFC.

IMO, teams should never draft solely based on anticipated first year performance... so if he becomes one of the better QBs, by definition he wasn't a reach. If he follows the path Gavin imagines, then "reach" and "bust" are labels that will certainly apply.

IMO, teams should never draft solely based on anticipated first year performance... so if he becomes one of the better QBs, by definition he wasn't a reach. If he follows the path Gavin imagines, then "reach" and "bust" are labels that will certainly apply.

Yeah, but Andy Dalton is expected to be pretty good and was solid his first year as a starter as well, and he wasn't taken till the second. And he had a pretty good career as a college QB. I just think Tannehill was taken too high. I think the Dolphins could have looked at several other positions there and still gotten their guy later on. And if he does follow that path then certainly bust would be applicable, but I don't use the term after a player's first year. We have to see at least two or three more years before we can come to that conclusion for sure.

Yeah, but Andy Dalton is expected to be pretty good and was solid his first year as a starter as well, and he wasn't taken till the second. And he had a pretty good career as a college QB. I just think Tannehill was taken too high. I think the Dolphins could have looked at several other positions there and still gotten their guy later on. And if he does follow that path then certainly bust would be applicable, but I don't use the term after a player's first year. We have to see at least two or three more years before we can come to that conclusion for sure.

3 things... We need 2 or 3 years to determine if he is a reach too. And we can come up with a list of QBs taken earlier in the first who didn't play their first year, or for a half season, or whatever. And I'd argue (based on my opinion only) that Dalton's ceiling is a fair bit lower than Tannehill's.

I don't think it's that much of a long shot.  I would expect to see him starting over McGlynn by mid-season, if not sooner, honestly.

Oh, I agree with you... I worded my post too ambiguously... I wasn't saying that Thornton is a long shot to become the starter. I mean't that it is a long shot for him to have the biggest impact of all the rookies.. I still think that it is very possible, but Werner will definitely get some numbers... I am only now realizing that the OP was writing about the FA that will have the biggest impact..

I agree with the OP that Landry will be our biggest impact FA. As long as he stays healthy, we should see some one dimensional offenses after a few hits from Landry and our big boys stopping the run... I think that Cherilus will have more of an effect on W's and L's, but RTs don't often show up in highlights, so.....

He could name the afc east, just not the other divisions. Who cares?

If he couldn't even do that how is he supposed to memorize 100's of football plays and be able to call them out word for word in the huddle while being on the clock, They are 2 different things entirely obviously so maybe Im making to big a stink about it but I think it is definitly eyebrow raising at least. Putting that aside however I dont think he has the poise in the pocket to consistently beat teams with his arm and brain

If he couldn't even do that how is he supposed to memorize 100's of football plays and be able to call them out word for word in the huddle while being on the clock, They are 2 different things entirely obviously so maybe Im making to big a stink about it but I think it is definitly eyebrow raising at least. Putting that aside however I dont think he has the poise in the pocket to consistently beat teams with his arm and brain

I think it means he didn't watch the NFL, not that he was unable to memorize divisions lol

"It will be hard to see Dwight Freeney in another uniform, but the divorce made plenty of sense for the Colts. I actually think we should have let him go last season, rather than paying him $14m." Yup. I was surprised that their wasn't a bigger fan backlash from cutting ties with #93, after all he is the human tornado on a football field, but I was pleasantly surprised to see fans realize that it was time to go in a different direction there. Letting go of a beloved pass rusher that played in 2 SBs & won one is never easy to do. Good analysis Superman!  :thmup:

Great point. And I think it really helps that we sort of drafted his replacement in the first round. So fans may feel upset that we're parting with Freeney, but they know he's getting old and spending a first rounder on his replacement doesn't seem like a bad investment.

Excellent write up Superman. I agree with most all of it.  

I agree with your Landry choice as "immediate impact", but I think Sheppard at MLB is my under the radar pick. With Angerer's injury history, he'll get a chance to shine and he'll steal the starting spot. 

And to those down on Tannehill, give it a rest. It's too early to tell anything yet. Need I remind you that many years ago the Colts drafted a quarterback number one overall and he didn't do to well his rookie year. He had mid 50% completion percentage, set and still holds the rookie interception record, and ended the season a measly 3-13. But he turned out to be The GOAT. Time will tell what Tannehill will evolve into.

Excellent write up Superman. I agree with most all of it.  

I agree with your Landry choice as "immediate impact", but I think Sheppard at MLB is my under the radar pick. With Angerer's injury history, he'll get a chance to shine and he'll steal the starting spot. 

I could have used that as a category, actually. The Jerrell Freeman Award...

I'm not sure what Sheppard is capable of. It seems like he's going to get a reasonable shot at a starting spot, so if he perform, he'll get reps. I've watched some old Bills games to get a feel for him. He'll be okay, but I'm not overly impressed. I think he'll be a rotational player. But if Angerer can't stay on the field, Sheppard will start.

My Jerrell Freeman Award candidate is Lawrence Sidbury. We don't have a lot of options for pass rushers, so I'm assuming he's going to get reps. And if he can get to the quarterback -- even without sacks -- he'll have an impact on our defense and earn more playing time. I'll be on the lookout for him from day one.

Gavin....

You're now comparing Tannehill,  whose been playing quarterback for all of two and a half years, with Michael Vick, whose been playing it for how long -- 15-20 years -- including high school and college?    Somehow this is a fair comparison?

And you comment on his poise in the pocket?!?    Really?   Seriously,  how long have you been studying Ryan Tannehill?   How many game films have you watched to make this conclusion?

Tannehill already has his degree in Biology and wants to be an orthopedic surgeon.    You think he's not smart enough?

You're so desperate to connect dots and justify your conclusion on Tannehill that your logic flies right out the window....

In your long response to me you commented that if Luck had put up the kind of numbers/performance that Tannehill had there would be rioting in the streets of Indy.    Well,  besides the Hyperbole,  I'd say,  of course there would be!    Andrew Luck was the most heralded college quarterback since Peyton,  some might say since Elway.     Ryan Tannehill was not.    Not even close.    Most thought he was a reach.    He went where he went because his college coach was now his pro offensive coordinator.    The transition would be smooth.    It made sense for Miami.    Perhaps not for another franchise,  but for Miami it worked.    Only you make the comparison to Luck -- no one else does.    

I'm not saying Tannehill is a slam dunk to succeed.   The jury is still out.   But most of the reviews are very encouraging.   I don't know why you're working so hard to trash the kid.    But those issues are yours....

Your reasoning remains a mystery.....

p.s. -- Tannehill's Wonderlic score.....   34....   3rd highest of all QB's in the 2012 draft...  Luck was first with a 37...    Average NFL wonderlic score is 25....