Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Havili the reason Colts feel good at RB?

jshipp23

It's not a secret how I feel about the running back situation here, but a few weeks ago another poster put up some Havili highlights and I was pretty impressed...He seems to have nimble feet for a man his size and is very good at receiving out of the backfield as well as blocking....Maybe he can be our short yardage back and give us a Brandon Jacobs kind of dimension...Also, Payton Hillis is still out there and may be worth a look...

If you could load a roster full of all running backs Im sure you would

I'm just looking for the answer behind Ballard...Hoping it's Havili or Williams...You would carry 10 cornerbacks if you could...Not having 2 quality  RB cost us a few games last year....

I'm just looking for the answer behind Ballard...Hoping it's Havili or Williams...You would carry 10 cornerbacks if you could...Not having 2 quality  RB cost us a few games last year....

What game(s) can you definitively say was a loss solely due to the RB position?

I'm just looking for the answer behind Ballard...Hoping it's Havili or Williams...You would carry 10 cornerbacks if you could...Not having 2 quality RB cost us a few games last year....

You could argue 2 quality RBs didn't help KC out against us last season.

But in answer to your question I believe Havali will be quite a boon in both the running and passing game, but that might well prove to be wishful thinking. Time will tell, he certainly has the raw attributes.

To answer your question,   no.    Or at best,  doubtful.

I think the reason the team feels better about the RB's is because of the improved OL.

Now, you can consider a good blocking FB as part of that group -- fine.    But I'd say the OL get the largest share of the optimism.

Lineman block every play.    It's not clear if Havili will be on the field every play.   Odds are he won't be.   

Another factor to consider....  Ballard got better as the season went on.   He's now in his 2nd year, and he's behind a better OL, and a team that is committed to making the running game better.    It's win-win-win all the way around.

What cost us a couple games last year was a bad O Line and a pour completion percentage, As for me carrying 10 Corners, Nah just 5-6 good ones who have potential to be more, Also do not overlook Denodus O'Bryant and Dan Moore........I think Moore has the edge to make the team over O' Bryant once you take into consideration he is a power Back that could be used at the goal line and Carters history of not running with the ball, Kerwynn is a lock I think which gives us another change of pace Back if Brown goes down again

The games we lost due to lack of good second rb are texans game due to moore fumble which crushed our comeback hopes. Ill even say the ravens game because ballard was too tired to catch passes be games end

The Moore fumble isn't a lack of a good run game Stephen, that's lack of FUNDAMENTALS

What game(s) can you definitively say was a loss solely due to the RB position?

I was going to say the same thing. O line, porous run D, horrible DB play, even some dropped passes. I'll buy that.

But I don't recall losing any games because of the RBs.

I'm ok with Ballard as our RB even before we signed Havili. We don't need a Pro Bowl RB to be a great team as long as were balanced on offense. As great as Edgerrin James was we never got to the superbowl with him as our RB. It will come down to the o-line and how well they block to open up holes for Ballard to run through.

I just think counting on a 7th rounder to be your backup RB is a bit of a stretch at this given moment. 

I dont think they are counting on him to be our backup or counting on him at all, He is a 7th round pick as you say, He still has to jump Brown for the backup role and I dont think thats gonna happen for a while

I dont think they are counting on him to be our backup or counting on him at all, He is a 7th round pick as you say, He still has to jump Brown for the backup role and I dont think thats gonna happen for a while

Backup RB? Wasn't the whole point of drafting K Willy was to be our KR/PR?

Backup RB? Wasn't the whole point of drafting K Willy was to be our KR/PR?

Mostly, yes....

But, as the season unfolds, don't be surprised to see him in as a 3rd down, or passing down receiver out of the backfield...

There have been a number of references to him as a Darren Sproles type....     that'd be nice!      :thmup:

Mostly, yes....

But, as the season unfolds, don't be surprised to see him in as a 3rd down, or passing down receiver out of the backfield...

There have been a number of references to him as a Darren Sproles type.... that'd be nice! :thmup:

I mean if he gets more PT then hey, more power to him. I just want him at KR/PR so guys like TY & Brazill don't have to do it and that will increase their chances of staying healthy throughout the year

Mostly, yes....

There have been a number of references to him as a Darren Sproles type....     that'd be nice!      :thmup:

Lets hope he becomes our own little Sproles. I am excited to see his quickness in the backfield and return game

I mean if he gets more PT then hey, more power to him. I just want him at KR/PR so guys like TY & Brazill don't have to do it and that will increase their chances of staying healthy throughout the year

My hunch is he'll be a kick returner first....   I think the team feels fine with TY as a punt returner.   Whether that changes I'd guess is up to Williams and what he shows as a punt returner in the pre-season games....

But that's just my guess for now....

I dont think that Havili is the reason. Like a couple of the other posters here, its all the new muscle up front on the Oline.

The entire premise is a hoot. We signed two offensive linemen in free agency, presumably both of them will start for us. We drafted two offensive linemen, and an inline blocking tight end. We also switched offensive coordinators, and now have someone to intends to emphasize the run game a little more.

But the real reason the team is optimistic about the running game -- the reason they aren't out grabbing up new running backs -- is because we swung a trade for a fullback in the heat of the offseason.

The entire premise is a hoot. We signed two offensive linemen in free agency, presumably both of them will start for us. We drafted two offensive linemen, and an inline blocking tight end. We also switched offensive coordinators, and now have someone to intends to emphasize the run game a little more.

But the real reason the team is optimistic about the running game -- the reason they aren't out grabbing up new running backs -- is because we swung a trade for a fullback in the heat of the offseason.

Is that your opinion or is that the real reason? Thats my opinion that you quoted and only my opinion, but if there is a link that backs up what you say then feel free to share. I am not as excited as some about Havili but time will tell.

I'm glad we focused on the oline this offseason, but we still need help at the RB position. Ballard is a good starter but after him I don't have much faith in Brown or Carter and with the new running schemes we should be using this year judging by what coaches are telling us I cant understand why so many posters still feel as if we are good at the RB position, I understand the importance of taking care of the oline first but I'm so tired of other making up reason why Brown stays hurt, what will we say this year when he gets hurt the oline just isn't there yet? I'm not trying to bash anyone just stating what we all have seen in he past which is, Carter has been a none factor since being drafted, Brown is hurt every year and every offseason someone is up here making up reasons why he is hurt and every year its due to the line. I'm sorry but if our line was a top 10 in the NFL Brown would be hurt that year aswell. I just don't want to see us fall short due to depth at that position. If you look close at the loss to the Ravens, Ballard was gased and there was no one to come in and give him a breake, and untill we address the backup position I expect the same thing out of Brown. Luck will carrie the team to the playoff, but without a strong running game I'm not sure how far we will go, but if we go all the way I'll eat my words. If you take a close look at every team in the playoffs last year read the names of the RBs on each team, and if you still fell that those backs were only successful due to the strangths of their olines your crazy!!!! SO Happy Its A Contract Year For DB. 

I'm glad we focused on the oline this offseason, but we still need help at the RB position. Ballard is a good starter but after him I don't have much faith in Brown or Carter and with the new running schemes we should be using this year judging by what coaches are telling us I cant understand why so many posters still feel as if we are good at the RB position, I understand the importance of taking care of the oline first but I'm so tired of other making up reason why Brown stays hurt, what will we say this year when he gets hurt the oline just isn't there yet? I'm not trying to bash anyone just stating what we all have seen in he past which is, Carter has been a none factor since being drafted, Brown is hurt every year and every offseason someone is up here making up reasons why he is hurt and every year its due to the line. I'm sorry but if our line was a top 10 in the NFL Brown would be hurt that year aswell. I just don't want to see us fall short due to depth at that position. If you look close at the loss to the Ravens, Ballard was gased and there was no one to come in and give him a breake, and untill we address the backup position I expect the same thing out of Brown. Luck will carrie the team to the playoff, but without a strong running game I'm not sure how far we will go, but if we go all the way I'll eat my words. If you take a close look at every team in the playoffs last year read the names of the RBs on each team, and if you still fell that those backs were only successful due to the strangths of their olines your crazy!!!! SO Happy Its A Contract Year For DB. 

We also have Dan Moore, Denodus O'Bryant and Kerwynn Williams(2 of those will probably make the team)...Were covered if Brown goes down......I dont see Carter being on the roster come week 1

Well said...

Not having quality O-linemen cost us a few games. ;)

Is that your opinion or is that the real reason? Thats my opinion that you quoted and only my opinion, but if there is a link that backs up what you say then feel free to share. I am not as excited as some about Havili but time will tell.

I didn't do a good job of conveying my sarcasm. Apologies. I was agreeing with you.

I like Havili, and I think he'll make an impact for us. But even without him, I'd be optimistic about our run game because of the players we've added and the changes to the offensive scheme. Those are the bigger changes, in my mind.

I didn't do a good job of conveying my sarcasm. Apologies. I was agreeing with you.

I like Havili, and I think he'll make an impact for us. But even without him, I'd be optimistic about our run game because of the players we've added and the changes to the offensive scheme. Those are the bigger changes, in my mind.

Sorry I missed the sarcasm, a little slow here. :headspin:

We also have Dan Moore, Denodus O'Bryant and Kerwynn Williams(2 of those will probably make the team)...Were covered if Brown goes down......I dont see Carter being on the roster come week 1

Yes you are correct, we do have 3 camp body's at the RB position Moore, O'Bryant and Carter we would'nt be looking at RBs in free agency if they felt good about our depth behind Ballard..

Yes you are correct, we do have 3 camp body's at the RB position Moore, O'Bryant and Carter we would'nt be looking at RBs in free agency if they felt good about our depth behind Ballard..

Bradshaw is a better pass blocker then all of them and we all know he can run.......if healthy.........Instant upgrade, If we sign Bradshaw I think my early favorites to make the roster are

Bradshaw of course

Ballard of course

Dan Moore

Kerwynn Williams

Havili to play FB