Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gavins 1st roster Cuts (down to 75 by late August)

Gavin

Got bored thought I would take a stab at the 1st 15 players to be cut

1.Lee Ziemba-T

2.Domique Jones-TE

3.Davin Meggett-RB

4.Nathan Palmer-WR

5.Bradley Sowell-T

6.Marshay Green-CB

7.Sergio Brown-S

8.Lutrus Scott-ILB

9.Jeremy Kelley-WR

10.Robert Griffin-G

11.Teddy Wiliams-CB

12.Delone Carter-RB

13.Delano Howell-S

14.Jake Killeen-ILB

15.Larry Asante-S

I doubt Palmer is cut the coaches seem to be really high on him

But Whalen is teh ahhhhwesomenest EVAH... so there couldn't possibly be room on the roster for Palmer, regardless of what the coaches think.

And one big blown assignment against the Jags.  If one of the young guys step up on ST Sergio will be gone.

You make a good point. Don't think he should ever really be on the field when we are on D... Just special teams because I think he is one of our best there.

However, like you said, if one of the young guys shows the same or more.. And can contribute in other areas, he could very well be gone

Justin Snow might be cut as well because Khaled Holmes can longsnap.

Like jskinnz said, Snow is gone.

The question about Holmes isn't whether he can long snap, but rather, can he contribute on punt coverage. Overton did a pretty good job of that last season, and I think that's part of the reason he beat out Snow for the job.

He didn't get much of a chance to last year, his problem is he is just like Ballard only not as good. would rather have change of pace backs.

The last time I saw Carter play was vs the Rams preseason game when he dove over the pile on that TD run. Idk if he fell off the earth or what but that was the last time I saw him in action

The last time I saw Carter play was vs the Rams preseason game when he dove over the pile on that TD run. Idk if he fell off the earth or what but that was the last time I saw him in action

Do you mean the Game where Ballard dove and twisted over the pile to win it with time winding down?  That play was all effort by Vick.....  Don't remember Carter having a similar play....?

Got bored thought I would take a stab at the 1st 15 players to be cut

1.Lee Ziemba-T

2.Domique Jones-TE

3.Davin Meggett-RB

4.Nathan Palmer-WR

5.Bradley Sowell-T

6.Marshay Green-CB

7.Sergio Brown-S

8.Lutrus Scott-ILB

9.Jeremy Kelley-WR

10.Robert Griffin-G

11.Teddy Wiliams-CB

12.Delone Carter-RB

13.Delano Howell-S

14.Jake Killeen-ILB

15.Larry Asante-S

I think Palmer is the early favorite to make the final roster as the #5 WR and no way do I see him leaving in the first 15 cuts. What leads you to believe he will get cut so early? Everything points to the opposite. While he didn't see the field much as a WR last year (the #5 shouldn't without injuries), he was really solid on ST. The coaches and Grigs really like his ceiling. Grigs said at the end of the season "he's as explosive of a WR we got." I know many, who I have debated with here, are high on Whalen, but have a really hard time seeing him make the team over the other WRs in competition for that last spot... particularly thinking in terms of ST impact and explosiveness. Barring a major surprise, RW, TY, DHB, LB are the top 4 WR. That means #5 is really going to come down to impact on ST and potential as a big play maker. I agree Kelley is out because he is more in line with the size of our TE's...we don't need a WR/TE with all the TE talent on the roster.

Do you mean the Game where Ballard dove and twisted over the pile to win it with time winding down? That play was all effort by Vick..... Don't remember Carter having a similar play....?

No, I remember that play. The play I'm talking about was in pre-season. The last drive of Andrew's first preseason game. After that big plat to Crosby when he fell at the one, next play Carter came in and jumped over the pile.

I cut Palmer because with his speed you better be a good run after the catch guy and he showed he wasn't when he ran the wrong way for a 4 yard loss on his only catch of the year. I cut Kelley because he is 6'6" played 2 years at college and had a total of 8 receptions to show for it, In other words something is definitly off about this guys talent and thats that he dont have elite speed (he ran a 4.57 at his pro day) nor is he a good run after the catch guy. I cut Carter not because of lack of talent, I think he is much more of a power Back then Ballard is  and almost as shifty......But that dont matter if you dont run with the ball in your hands

Projects have to be cut if they can't win a job after awhile.

Have Palmer or Kelley had a legit chance to win a job?

Palmer was brought in after the season started last year, & Kelley was brought in after the season was over

If they go through an entire off season schedule & don't make the cut then I'd agree, I'm just not sure it's fair to say they've had a legit shot to win a job...

just saying...

Only big disagreement is Sergio Brown. He is one of the few I can actually remember doing anything helpful on Special Teams

He had 11 tackles in 16 games last year, thats not much of an impact, If that would have been Hughes and he put up them numbers people would have been calling for his head on a stick (although people have been doing that since he was drafted) besides the thing about special teams players (backups) most will get cut at some point unless they have potential to be a starter and Sergio Brown dont

Mine, in no particular order:

WR Roderick Rumble

WR Jeremy Kelley

RB Denodus O’Bryant

RB Davin Meggett

OG Robert Griffin

OG Ben Ijalana

OT Lee Ziemba

DL Kellen Heard

LB Quinton Spears

LB C.O. Prime

LB Monte Simmons

LB Josh McNary

CB Sheldon Price

CB Marshay Green

S Larry Assante

No, I remember that play. The play I'm talking about was in pre-season. The last drive of Andrew's first preseason game. After that big plat to Crosby when he fell at the one, next play Carter came in and jumped over the pile.

Ah, I must have missed that one... not a great sign of Carter endearing himself to the coaching staff if his last memorable play was last preseason.... hope he makes more of an impact this season!

Mine, in no particular order:

WR Roderick Rumble

WR Jeremy Kelley

RB Denodus O’Bryant

RB Davin Meggett

OG Robert Griffin

OG Ben Ijalana

OT Lee Ziemba

DL Kellen Heard

LB Quinton Spears

LB C.O. Prime

LB Monte Simmons

LB Josh McNary

CB Sheldon Price

CB Marshay Green

S Larry Assante

Why Rumble, Prime and O'Bryant?

I hate that Delone Carter has had the fumbles issues and injuries.  Because he really can run.  He is one of the few Colts RBs I have seen over the years that almost always gets positive yardage and moves the pile when he hits it.  Addai aka Pat Pat would get dropped in the backfield so often it drove me crazy.  If Carter would improve his pass blocking and catching, he would be a good fullback.

Have Palmer or Kelley had a legit chance to win a job?

Palmer was brought in after the season started last year, & Kelley was brought in after the season was over

If they go through an entire off season schedule & don't make the cut then I'd agree, I'm just not sure it's fair to say they've had a legit shot to win a job...

just saying...

They get a chance to win the job at practice, if they can't out produce players who regularly see the field at practice, they're not going to get playing time. I really doubt Pags and Grigs just sign players without giving them some opportunities. They have to earn gametime opportunities by succeeding in practice. But if they sign players they don't see as projects, well they gotta do what's best for the team and make cuts. Often these project players will go to the practice squad.

They get a chance to win the job at practice, if they can't out produce players who regularly see the field at practice, they're not going to get playing time. I really doubt Pags and Grigs just sign players without giving them some opportunities. They have to earn gametime opportunities by succeeding in practice. But if they sign players they don't see as projects, well they gotta do what's best for the team and make cuts. Often these project players will go to the practice squad.

Oh I fully understand & agree, I was just sorta taking the spin that Palmer & Kelley haven't completed a full off season to legitamately compete for a roster spot...

Had high hopes for Palmer as I remember hearing he had some serious wheels, & like many on the board I liked the prospect of adding a tall WR in Kelley...

Hope they impress, but am fully expecting them to end up on the PS...