Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DC Council may push Washington Redskins into 'Washington Redtails'

bap1331

He doesn't get high marks for originality

True but it is an easy enough transition to make.  Change it to Warriors, go back to the helmets with the spear on it, and call it a day.  Although,, if memory serves, I think the supposed justification for trademarking Warriors had to do with Snyder's interest in bringing an Arena League team to DC as almost a D-league kind of set up.

Sounds like he is being held hostage by the tyranny of stupidity.

Eh, I am agree with him.

DC Indians

I'm actually a little bit surprised that indians isn't considered even more offensive given the fact that it's a complete misidentification of a group of people and hearkens to the incredibly insensitive early 20th century cowboys vs. indians archetype.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington Warriors. Snyder already has that trademarked in case he was forced to change their names.

If I were Snyder I would just take the initiative and change it so it'd be done & over with. Why wait until you are "forced" to do something...

If he already has Warriors TM'd, why not just go ahead & change it. Keep the color scheme &  hire a graphic designer to create a new logo that integrates some aspect of the original not to totally alienate a storied franchise, but to keep in line with current political correctness...

In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness

— Robert Griffin III (@RGIII) April 30, 2013

^^^^^

I like what he said!!!!!

I wonder if it was a name that hit closer to home for him offensively, if he would feel the same?

I'm guessing no.

I wonder if it was a name that hit closer to home for him offensively, if he would feel the same?

I'm guessing no.

Do I really have to point out that it wasn't an explicit reference to the name thing?  There are actually several different events right now he could be referring to or it could be tied to something out of the public view right now.

Do I really have to point out that it wasn't an explicit reference to the name thing? There are actually several different events right now he could be referring to or it could be tied to something out of the public view right now.

Go right ahead. I follow nothing of what Griffin does. So when that is posted in the context of this thread, that's where I associated it to and responded.

What is he talking about then?

Also doesn't answer my question on if he is referencing this though.

True but it is an easy enough transition to make.  Change it to Warriors, go back to the helmets with the spear on it, and call it a day.  Although,, if memory serves, I think the supposed justification for trademarking Warriors had to do with Snyder's interest in bringing an Arena League team to DC as almost a D-league kind of set up.

Eh, I am agree with him.

I'm actually a little bit surprised that indians isn't considered even more offensive given the fact that it's a complete misidentification of a group of people and hearkens to the incredibly insensitive early 20th century cowboys vs. indians archetype.

The term "Indian"is just a reminder of the stupidity of the early settlers.

This is complete stupid and ignorant because of a small group of people are offend. If i was Washington Redskins owner i was would threaten to move to another state if the DC board was trying to force their new name on my team. RGIII is right everybody getting offended and people are force to change so it wont offend somebody I sometimes think of this country as a bunch of wimps at time. Grow a pair and freaking deal with it. If you don't like the name of the team because it offends you. DON'T LOOK AT IT OR DONT WATCH IT. FREAKING *.

This is complete stupid and ignorant because of a small group of people are offend. If i was Washington Redskins owner i was would threaten to move to another state if the DC board was trying to force their new name on my team. RGIII is right everybody getting offended and people are force to change so it wont offend somebody I sometimes think of this country as a bunch of wimps at time. Grow a pair and freaking deal with it. If you don't like the name of the team because it offends you. DON'T LOOK AT IT OR DONT WATCH IT. FREAKING >.

Spoken like a true humanitarian.

This is complete stupid and ignorant because of a small group of people are offend. If i was Washington Redskins owner i was would threaten to move to another state if the DC board was trying to force their new name on my team.

They don't actually have the power to change anything.  Redskins HQ is in Virginia and the team plays in Maryland.  They'll have their opportunity the next time we try to build a new stadium in DC but I think at this point the team would be more willing to build in Maryland or Virginia than be hamstrung by DC politics.

Go right ahead. I follow nothing of what Griffin does. So when that is posted in the context of this thread, that's where I associated it to and responded.

What is he talking about then?

Also doesn't answer my question on if he is referencing this though.

Hard to say.  Kid is smart enough to avoid becoming completely embroiled in controversy.  He stuck to making a point that was entirely reasonable on its own and could apply to any number of things.

We all know by now that he's a fan of putting out inspirational and philosophical platitudes.  Just one of his many quirks.

They don't actually have the power to change anything.  Redskins HQ is in Virginia and the team plays in Maryland.  They'll have their opportunity the next time we try to build a new stadium in DC but I think at this point the team would be more willing to build in Maryland or Virginia than be hamstrung by DC politics.

Hard to say.  Kid is smart enough to avoid becoming completely embroiled in controversy.  He stuck to making a point that was entirely reasonable on its own and could apply to any number of things.

We all know by now that he's a fan of putting out inspirational and philosophical platitudes.  Just one of his many quirks.

I think the residents of Va (myself not included for obvious reasons :blueshoe: ) claim the Redskins as their own anyways. I think the state would jump at the opportunity to have the stadium located in Va. I wouldn't be against them dropping Washington for Virginia if they did move, but that's a completely different debate.

They don't actually have the power to change anything. Redskins HQ is in Virginia and the team plays in Maryland. They'll have their opportunity the next time we try to build a new stadium in DC but I think at this point the team would be more willing to build in Maryland or Virginia than be hamstrung by DC politics.

Hard to say. Kid is smart enough to avoid becoming completely embroiled in controversy. He stuck to making a point that was entirely reasonable on its own and could apply to any number of things.

We all know by now that he's a fan of putting out inspirational and philosophical platitudes. Just one of his many quirks.

Lol so it's likely he was making a little quip about this situation.

But your willing to say say it applied to many things. Which your not wrong about, but my first post you quoted isn't any less valid.

Lol so it's likely he was making a little quip about this situation.

But your willing to say say it applied to many things. Which your not wrong about, but my first post you quoted isn't any less valid.

Actually, it's fairly unlikely.  Claims have been made by other people that he was talking about the Redskins name, the Jason Collins thing, and a few other concurrent events.  What he had been talking about on twitter leading up to that comment was actually backlash from comments he made about the Skins making Cowboys Stadium home.

I'm not a huge Twitter guy, so I can't vouch for the sequence of events and am thus willing to accept the tweet's origins as pretty open-ended but the people who do follow him seem fairly certain it was related to that (there was an NFL.com article on it the other day).

Actually, it's fairly unlikely. Claims have been made by other people that he was talking about the Redskins name, the Jason Collins thing, and a few other concurrent events. What he had been talking about on twitter leading up to that comment was actually backlash from comments he made about the Skins making Cowboys Stadium home.

I'm not a huge Twitter guy, so I can't vouch for the sequence of events and am thus willing to accept the tweet's origins as pretty open-ended but the people who do follow him seem fairly certain it was related to that (there was an NFL.com article on it the other day).

I know you just said all that lol.

Again it being about this is just as likely as anything else. Who knows. If its not, no harm no foul, but within the context of this thread I don't see the question I posed as a big deal.

I am a humanitarian.  I am a humanitarian of common sense. It really stupid that these people get offended. That way to much time on there hands. The DC politician are doing this to take away the distraction of crappy job numbers.

All due respect but telling someone else what they should or shouldn't take as offensive just shows that you've managed to totally miss the point here.

I'm German by descent, second generation American, and the term "*" doesn't bother me even in the slightest. If you happened to mistakenly say that word in front of my grandmother, though, you would have heard about it, and/or gotten smacked, lol...

Point being, what is "no big deal" to you or me can be a very big deal to others, for various reasons. And telling them to "get over it" will never, ever actually help matters. Not even a little.

I'm guessing no.

Nah, I'm sure he wouldn't be offended if they were renamed The DC Colored Folk

To those that call themselves Native Americans and are offended by the name Redskins.. get over it. I'm Shawnee and could care less. Everyone is so dang sensitive these days..  :facepalm:

WHO CARES!!!

So by your logic if one member of a minority isn't offended by a hurtful word or term that applies to their group, then it's okay to say it even if it offends other members of the group?

So by your logic if one member of a minority isn't offended by a hurtful word or term that applies to their group, then it's okay to say it even if it offends other members of the group?

I'm not someone who is overly PC, but its not like people have to try to get offended by the name Redskins. If your of Native American decent you have every right to be upset about it, given that at points of history call someone a "redskin" didn't mean something nice.

If someone was trying to say the Colts should change their name because they raise horses then we could all yell at them to shut up lol.

They do need to change the name. Not some 50/50 crud with the whole redtails thing just get rid of it all together. They can come up with a team name that isn't racist or have any remnants of it either.

50/50 crud?

Naming the team "red tails" would be done to honor the "tuskegee airmen" of WWII.

Not sure why you feel like that would still be racist, just because they left the word "red"....

Appears to me that they did just come up with a team name that is not only "not racist" but honors minorities in the process.... Not sure what more you could possibly want from them.

All due respect but telling someone else what they should or shouldn't take as offensive just shows that you've managed to totally miss the point here.

I'm German by descent, second generation American, and the term "*" doesn't bother me even in the slightest. If you happened to mistakenly say that word in front of my grandmother, though, you would have heard about it, and/or gotten smacked, lol...

Point being, what is "no big deal" to you or me can be a very big deal to others, for various reasons. And telling them to "get over it" will never, ever actually help matters. Not even a little.

you can't please everyone. some complain for the sake of complaining. my great grandmother was born on a cherokee reservation and was a redskins fan till the day she died

50/50 crud?

Naming the team "red tails" would be done to honor the "tuskegee airmen" of WWII.

Not sure why you feel like that would still be racist, just because they left the word "red"....

Appears to me that they did just come up with a team name that is not only "not racist" but honors minorities in the process.... Not sure what more you could possibly want from them.

A decent team name....Red tails for a football team just seem that great. Not telling them to come up with the greatest name in the history of team names, but at least take some time to come up with something that works better. You really believe a football team not even located in the state of where Tuskegee should name their team after them? It just doesn't fit that well.

I'm not someone who is overly PC, but its not like people have to try to get offended by the name Redskins. If your of Native American decent you have every right to be upset about it, given that at points of history call someone a "redskin" didn't mean something nice.

If someone was trying to say the Colts should change their name because they raise horses then we could all yell at them to shut up lol.

What if the horses were upset? lol :D kidding of course.

I have Native American heritage/ancestry and I don't find the term offensive at all. This is trivial, what's next, renaming the Kansas City Chiefs the Kansas City Arrowheads?

Chiefs isn't really a problem cause it don't have any thing to do with skin color the reason some ppl have a problem with redskins is mainly cause it refers to skin color and that makes it seem racist in this day and age

Chiefs isn't really a problem cause it don't have any thing to do with skin color the reason some ppl have a problem with redskins is mainly cause it refers to skin color and that makes it seem racist in this day and age

I've never seen a red human being but I know what you're saying lol. There are issues more pressing in the world than the non-ill-will name of a sports team for people to worry about. But if the Native Americans themselves are indeed getting offended (and I don't think that they are) then I agree that it should be considered for a change.

Wrong. 

What's sad is that the imagery of the Native American is done is reverence, out of respect. 

I'd ask my fellow Americans, in what other way do we ever show homage to the Native American? 

Hmmmm....? 

When does the subject, or even the thought of a Native American ever come up? Do people wish them forgotten, not revered? 

My great grandmother on my moms side was full blooded Wyandotte. I feel it is respectful and honorary in nature, this practice of remembering our heritage through sport . But our society is afraid of it's own skin. Shameful. 

Wrong. 

What's sad is that the imagery of the Native American is done is reverence, out of respect. 

I'd ask my fellow Americans, in what other way do we ever show homage to the Native American? 

Hmmmm....? 

When does the subject, or even the thought of a Native American ever come up? Do people wish them forgotten, not revered? 

My great grandmother on my moms side was full blooded Wyandotte. I feel it is respectful and honorary in nature, this practice of remembering our heritage through sport . But our society is afraid of it's own skin. Shameful.

So after committing genocide against a people, we honor them by calling a football teams the redskins? I think I would respond to that great honor with a double bird salute, but that's just me.

Oh, and it's ok for me to say this because my great great great grandfather was half Blackfoot.

Wrong.

Hmmmm....?

When does the subject, or even the thought of a Native American ever come up? Do people wish them forgotten, not revered?

My great grandmother on my moms side was full blooded Wyandotte. I feel it is respectful and honorary in nature, this practice of remembering our heritage through sport . But our society is afraid of it's own skin. Shameful.

I don't have a problem with it but even if the native Americans don't it won't matter cause the government does wat they want anyway and they think everything is racist

The term "Indian"is just a reminder of the stupidity of the early settlers.

Amen!  History is so screwed and stupid, once you get into it, you can't help but to think "How did stuff actually happen?".

This is complete stupid and ignorant because of a small group of people are offend. If i was Washington Redskins owner i was would threaten to move to another state if the DC board was trying to force their new name on my team. RGIII is right everybody getting offended and people are force to change so it wont offend somebody I sometimes think of this country as a bunch of wimps at time. Grow a pair and freaking deal with it. If you don't like the name of the team because it offends you. DON'T LOOK AT IT OR DONT WATCH IT. FREAKING >.

It's good to have your opinion, but to just call this stupid is disrespectful to the Native Americans (and whoever else) fighting this battle.  It is their heritage/culture and if they feel offended then they have all the right to use the means that America has given to try and get the name changed.  TBH, Native Americans don't have the cleanest history ya know?  Call it bitterness, pettyness, or whatever, but you have to respect it.  

What if it was flipped?  What if Britain drove the Irish to the brink of extinction, and then created a soccer team called the British Kilts or something of Irish heritage.  I don't think that would be taken too well.

As a man of Nordic descent, I am deeply offended by the use of the term 'Viking' being used so callously and trivially for entertainment purposes in the sport of American Football.

^^^Whiny, PC me

I missed Nordic as a race option when I was filling out my census form. If they rename the team the Minnesota Whiteskins and put Christian Ponder's face on the helmet, then you have a grievance on your hands.