Colts select montori Hughes -- traded 2014 4th rounder

trueblueblood

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

his weaknesses:

rocky past, didnt play tough competition, dont have great technique , and his work ethic and stamina is questionable. 

Strengths:

prototypical size, solid balance and vision hitting holes, explodes off the line, full-body strength hard to move. 

apparently he is better suited for a 4-3 defense and was not even projected to go in the draft until the 6th round.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1615689-montori-hughes-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-tennessee-martin-dt

Not at all, especially in a 3-4. Athletic guys at his size  can certainly play DE. Ngata did under Pagano, Red Bryant does in a 4-3 in Seattle. 

He's a combo lineman, in the mold of RJF. Can play nose, but has the athleticism, motor and moves to play end in our front. Nice addition.

Why did Ngata play DE for Balt. then??? He's 6'4" 335lbs. 5 tech DE's are huge because they are meant to contain 2 gaps and not rush the passer.

Ngata rarely was at 5 tech, he was more the DT 3tech in pagano's base 3-4 like Redding was in more this year than 5tech. And Ngata is a freak, Hughes isn't built like Ngata

his weaknesses:

rocky past, didnt play tough competition, dont have great technique , and his work ethic and stamina is questionable. 

Strengths:

prototypical size, solid balance and vision hitting holes, explodes off the line, full-body strength hard to move. 

apparently he is better suited for a 4-3 defense and was not even projected to go in the draft until the 6th round.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1615689-montori-hughes-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-tennessee-martin-dt

I could write for Bleacher Report... 

I don't think we drafted him to play the middle. I think we drafted him to play DE in our scheme. I think he could be a good block eater, run stopper end in Chuck's scheme. 

Seems like a good pick, just hope he puts the work in. 

I like the fact he'll be getting some mentoring by Corey Redding before we could potentially need him as a starter.

Be interesting to see what we gave up for him.

and how many NT do we got?

I got no faith in any corners not named davis butler or toler. vaughan has to be the worst of the bunch. gordy....pretty bad to.

they would play dime so who cares. they'll almost never see the field. hughes could play DE too.

Ngata rarely was at 5 tech, he was more the DT 3tech in pagano's base 3-4 like Redding was in more this year than 5tech. And Ngata is a freak, Hughes isn't built like Ngata

Ngata played all three spots for the Ravens, and well. You're right, he's a freak, but Hughes has the athleticism and the moves to play five tech, even at his size.

they would play dime so who cares. they'll almost never see the field. hughes could play DE too.

what if davis or toler goes down....in comes vaughan who got roasted every play. DL was one of our deeper spots bc we signed alot in FA. Safety was one of our biggest needs. im surprised we havent taken one in 1-4. 

Now, this is a GREAT pick. He's one of the guy's I wanted all along. Can't believe we got him in the 5th rd.. He is going to be a STEAL!!! He's huge 6'4" 329 lbs and plays with good speed for such a big guy. He'll play DE in our system and slide inside on passing downs. Awesome pick!

You left out the important part....

You know....   the part where we gave up a 4th round pick next year!   

That is exactly what I did NOT want to do -- for any player,  Hughes or anyone else....

His write-ups for performance are OK....   his write-ups for character and off field stuff are very, very poor.

I'm surprised this was the pick, and even more surprised that we spent next year's 4 on him.   We must LOVE this kid.

We must know something others do not.

Weird, strange draft......

He projects to a 5-tech lineman.  Hopefully the Colts get a 4th next year for compensatory loss of Freeney.   So not that bad.

We signed a boat load of UFS's this year , so forget any compensatory picks for next year's draft. The system basically gives picks to teams with a net loss in free agency.

what if davis or toler goes down....in comes vaughan who got roasted every play. DL was one of our deeper spots bc we signed alot in FA. Safety was one of our biggest needs. im surprised we havent taken one in 1-4. 

we signed landry and still have joe who played well and I trust vaughn more then a 5th round CB

You left out the important part....

You know....   the part where we gave up a 4th round pick next year!   

That is exactly what I did NOT want to do -- for any player,  Hughes or anyone else....

His write-ups for performance are OK....   his write-ups for character and off field stuff are very, very poor.

I'm surprised this was the pick, and even more surprised that we spent next year's 4 on him.   We must LOVE this kid.

We must know something others do not.

Weird, strange draft......

Assume we pick at #24 next year again, this is essentially 13 spots up for us, just a year earlier. And into a draft that's deep in defensive linemen. I know people are down on this draft, but these are the value spots, and if Hughes can contribute right now, he's more valuable than a late 4th next year.

I like the move, and I like the player.