Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The best and worst draft picks in Colts history

21isSuperman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Sanders (Had two great years with us but largely did not work out for us so in my opinion busted for us, he was our first round pick in 2004 after all, certainly not a talent bust, but the pick itself)

Idrees Bashir

Cory Bird

Marcus Washington (Still bitter we did not make an offer for him before he went to Washington)

Jerome Pathon

E.G. Green

Bertrand Berry (Bust for us but not for the Cardinals or Broncos)

Rob Morris (I was never high on him)

The entire 2007 draft class outside of Clint Session (Its to bad he cant stay healthy, he has alot of potential, Makes things happen when he is on on the field, a real shame, he is only 28 so hopefully things are not to late for him)

Brown being on the list is to early to tell 

I'm really getting sick of the Donald Brown bashing. Of course he didn't start many games, they put him behind Addai!

I hope Brown breaks out this year to make everyone who doubted him look dumb

Thee Joe Addai? I like Brown, but he wasn't worth a first....and neither was Addai.

Bob Sanders

Idrees Bashir

Cory Bird

Marcus Washington (Still bitter we did not make an offer for him before he went to Washington)

Jerome Pathon

E.G. Green

Bertrand Berry (Bust for us but not for the Cardinals or Broncos)

Rob Morris (I was never high on him)

The entire 2007 draft class outside of Clint Session (Its to bad he cant stay healthy, he has alot of potential, Makes things happen when he is on on the field, a real shame, he is only 28 so hopefully things are not to late for him)

Brown being on the list is to early to tell

Please tell me you're joking about Bob Sanders being a bust.

Please tell me you're joking about Bob Sanders being a bust.

Talent wise he obviously was not a bust, but for being a 1st round pick who played only two full seasons for us thats borderline bust territory for me, Talent wise like I said obviously not a bust 

Thee Joe Addai? I like Brown, but he wasn't worth a first....and neither was Addai.

That's the problem. Everyone blames Brown like it's his fault he was taken in the 1st. Same with Jerry Hughes. They can't help where they're drafted. I knew Hughes went wayy too high & I'm a TCU fan he shouldn't have gone until the 4th or 5th. Why spend a 1st rounder on someone who's just getting drafted to sit behind the two of the best pass rushers the nfl has seen. That's just dumb

Talent wise he obviously was not a bust, but for being a 1st round pick who played only two full seasons for us thats borderline bust territory for me, Talent wise like I said obviously not a bust

2 all pros, 1 DPOY, and the catalyst for a Super Bowl win. If I could go back in time I'd still take him 10 times out of 10.

2 all pros, 1 DPOY, and the catalyst for a Super Bowl win. If I could go back in time I'd still take him 10 times out of 10.

I'd take a bigger Safety every time that plays like Sanders, nothing to do with his ability, He was a great player but 1st round pick, got to stay on the field more then he did, I loved his style of play but being the size that he is it was never a smart idea, thats why I am not high at all on Shamarko Thomas, Hey I like him to but if we draft him or have a chance to, I want him to play with more control then Sanders did but I dont see it happening

I'd take a bigger Safety every time that plays like Sanders, nothing to do with his ability, He was a great player but 1st round pick, got to stay on the field more then he did, I loved his style of play but being the size that he is it was never a smart idea, thats why I am not high at all on Shamarko Thomas, Hey I like him to but if we draft him or have a chance to, I want him to play with more control then Sanders did but I dont see it happening

He wasn't a first round pick....think Polian traded down into the 2nd

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160737/article/indianapolis-colts-best-and-worst-draft-picks

Best: Peyton, Luck, Marvin, Mathis, Reg

Worst: Elway (because he didn't play for the Colts), Jeff George, Trev Alberts, Donald Brown, Anthony Gonzalez

Ugoh hurt them in three different drafts.  I think that's far worse than Gonzo or Brown.  Ugoh hurt them in the draft they took him becuase he was a bust, he hurt them the next year because it cost them their first in that draft and then again in 2011 draft when we had to draft Castonzo because Ugoh had not panned out. 

Best: Peyton, Edgerrin, Marvin, Reggie, Freeney, and Mathis

Worst: Ugoh, Painter, Roy Hall, Sweat Pea Burns, and Gilbert Gardner

Painter was a sixth round pick who frankly played like a sixth round pick.  I don't know if you can say he was a bad pick.  It's not like he was taken in an early round where they expected him to be good. 

i dont see how brown is made to be one of the worst draft picks the colts have made.... when he was drafted, we had a RB who won the superbowl on the team. plus our OLine was not built for running the ball, it was built to protect Peyton. i mean in his career he has 449 attempts for 1840 yards and avg 4.1 yards a carry and 11 TD's. but the most important stat in running the ball??? one fumble and zero fumbles lost in his 4 years so out of 449 attempts he never turned the ball over. 

not bad on the good side but I totally disagree with the bad side

Only one I would add to Good is Bethea.  They found a Pro-Bowl player in the sixth round of the draft.  There is probably more value in the Bethea pick than any other draft pick in Colts history in terms of starting expectations and what he turned into. 

Only one I would add to Good is Bethea.  They found a Pro-Bowl player in the sixth round of the draft.  There is probably more value in the Bethea pick than any other draft pick in Colts history in terms of starting expectations and what he turned into. 

I may have added Ken Dilger or even Dallas Clark to the Good  

he was a second round pick

Ouch, that was harsh on Brown.

Brown isn't horrible, he's a solid backup. I definitely do see how he's on the list and Tony Ugoh isn't.

Brown should not be on that list, but he's closer to that one than the "best picks" list. 

I'd put Robert Mathis, a 5th round pick, above Bethea but it would be hard to find anyone besides Bethea to be the #2 on that list. :)

I may have added Ken Dilger or even Dallas Clark to the Good  

i'd add too more.  Glenn and Diem.  Glenn was kinda the guy they started to turn the franchise around with (taken the year before Peyton) and Diem was a very good player for us for 11 years and was orginally a fourth round pick.  Both tend to get over looked a lot but were the anchors of our o-line for years along with Saturday. 

i dont see how brown is made to be one of the worst draft picks the colts have made.... when he was drafted, we had a RB who won the superbowl on the team. plus our OLine was not built for running the ball, it was built to protect Peyton. i mean in his career he has 449 attempts for 1840 yards and avg 4.1 yards a carry and 11 TD's. but the most important stat in running the ball??? one fumble and zero fumbles lost in his 4 years so out of 449 attempts he never turned the ball over.

It was built to protect Peyton? Or it was just poor drafting.....

i'd add too more.  Glenn and Diem.  Glenn was kinda the guy they started to turn the franchise around with (taken the year before Peyton) and Diem was a very good player for us for 11 years and was orginally a fourth round pick.  Both tend to get over looked a lot but were the anchors of our o-line for years along with Saturday. 

Saturday best draft pick ever, because he didnt cost a draft pick...

bwahahahaha...

unlucky maybe bad?  No way...     he was on his way until his knee popped....Same with Alberts...   just plain poor luck.

Coryatt was a worse pick and even he gave Indy some good years.

Heck the 92 draft was a dud all the way around in hindsight.       Leon Searcy and Bob Whitfield were the only really great players in the first round.     Sean Gilbert was good for few years.

Has Emtman been mentioned as a bad draft pick???

unlucky maybe bad?  No way...     he was on his way until his knee popped....Same with Alberts...   just plain poor luck.

Coryatt was a worse pick and even he gave Indy some good years.

Heck the 92 draft was a dud all the way around in hindsight.       Leon Searcy and Bob Whitfield were the only really great players in the first round.     Sean Gilbert was good for few years.

You could say the samething about Gonzo.  He was doing just fine till the injury bug got him. 

Rohn Stark was highly criticized for being drafted so high.  But he was a very, very good punter for a long time.  Bert Jones was a great draft pick.  They sent a Defensive tackle to the Saints for the pick that got him.  I know he got hurt, but for 7 years,  he was a very, very good QB.  It is odd how the deal with the Colts.  With the Rams, they always include St Louis.  With the Colts, the world seems to act like they came into operation in about 1990.

I'm really getting sick of the Donald Brown bashing. Of course he didn't start many games, they put him behind Addai!

I hope Brown breaks out this year to make everyone who doubted him look dumb

Brown wasn't worth a first, and seeing as we missed some players by drafting him, it makes it worse.  I guess they are counting players we actually drafted and not traded for, so I think that's why we don't see Ugoh.  But Brown was definitely a bad pick.  Really wasn't a need for RB and there were other players that were better.