Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin score an 11 and 7 (respectively) on the Wonderlic Test

That's pretty bad, but there are a few things to consider.

1. Sometimes, guys don't care (or at least that's what they say).  These guys know they are going to be high draft picks and can pick up an NFL playbook pretty easily.  They don't put much effort into performing well on the Wonderlic

2. The Wonderlic has been getting a lot of criticism because a high Wonderlic score doesn't always mean a good or smart football player

3. The Wonderlic doesn't test football knowledge.  It tests things like logic and reasoning, but they don't test how well a WR can read a coverage or change his route based on what the defense does

4. I believe they are looking to change the Wonderlic with a new aptitude test in the future.  They already tried it out this year (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139911/article/wonderlic-to-be-supplemented-by-new-aptitude-test-at-combine)

That's awful, but it won't make a difference.

Claiborne got a 4 last year and it didn't affect anything. He was just the butt of the joke.

Again though, 7 is freagin awful. I mean, I think I can get a couple of 8th graders that can get better than that. 

This from Rotoword:

Scouts question Patterson's mental makeup

Scouts from 10 different teams have reportedly expressed reservations regarding Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson's mental acuity.
It's a fancy way of saying the scouts don't think Patterson is smart. He reportedly wasn't impressive during team interviews at the Combine and scored an 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic test. "Mentally, it's going to be a project," one personnel man told the Journal-Sentinel. "Running routes, he doesn't know how to do any of that stuff. You may have to keep it simple for him, but this is football. It's not building a super glider or anything."
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Apr 18 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sure i would want to give millions of my dollars to a guy with the intelligence of a rock. but teams do it every year

I guess if I were running the team and there was a player I liked I would look into his schoolastic history. Maybe take a look at how he did in an actual class room. Take a look at his ACT or SAT. I realize classroom grades can be tainted but I agree with a number of other people, standardized tests don't tell the whole story.

Who cares? Morris Claiborne scored a 4 on the wonderlic. He was drafted with the 6th overall pick. 

This changes nothing. Austin will still go top 25. Patterson likely will too, although his poor interviews could drop him a bit.

Claiborne said he just answered anything because he felt the test was pointless. That's probably what a lot of players are doing now a days

He didn't really try? That's what I said when my girlfriend beat me at Halo.

This from Rotoword:

Scouts question Patterson's mental makeup

Scouts from 10 different teams have reportedly expressed reservations regarding Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson's mental acuity.

It's a fancy way of saying the scouts don't think Patterson is smart. He reportedly wasn't impressive during team interviews at the Combine and scored an 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic test. "Mentally, it's going to be a project," one personnel man told the Journal-Sentinel. "Running routes, he doesn't know how to do any of that stuff. You may have to keep it simple for him, but this is football. It's not building a super glider or anything."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Apr 18 - 11:13 AM

I'm more concerned about the bad interviews than the Wonderlic.. I still think he would be a steal at the bottom of the first round... he has real #1 potential and would have a whole season to learn the playbook before anything was really asked of him... I'd rather have him than Allen or Hopkins despite the thick-headedness...

I'm more concerned about the bad interviews than the Wonderlic.. I still think he would be a steal at the bottom of the first round... he has real #1 potential and would have a whole season to learn the playbook before anything was really asked of him... I'd rather have him than Allen or Hopkins despite the thick-headedness...

I'll take Allen or Hopkins and I might even say I'd Consider Robert Woods before him too. All of them are just as reliable if not more and just more polished. I think they have also proven themselves more. I mean Patterson could be great don't get more wrong but I think its a bigger risk. You know more what your getting with these other guys.

I coached Patterson for two years in Rec football. He played TB his first year and QB his second year. Patterson is my third athlete in the last 10 years to make it to the NFL. He was the best athlete of the 3 players but he was a slacker in the class room. He loves football and will probably take 3 years to be a star WR but he will become a star at WR.

Claiborne said he just answered anything because he felt the test was pointless. That's probably what a lot of players are doing now a days

Using Claiborne's reasoning, wouldn't players slack off when running the 40, measuring vertical, the shuttle drill, etc? They all don't really correlate well with football skill and how well you will perform.

Using Claiborne's reasoning, wouldn't players slack off when running the 40, measuring vertical, the shuttle drill, etc? They all don't really correlate well with football skill and how well you will perform.

No because those determine where you're drafted. The wonderlic doesn't.

I'm not sure i would want to give millions of my dollars to a guy with the intelligence of a rock. but teams do it every year

To declare a player to have the intelligence of a rock we would have to figure out the types of questions that are on the tests

I wouldn't draft a QB if he scored low on the wonderlic .....unless he was highly impressive in the interview process.

QB maybe, but I don't think it matter much for any other position. O-lineman maybe. Possibly linebackers.