Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hopkins or Warford or Jenkins

Looking at the upcoming draft and looking at our needs, I would be happy with any of these 3 picks for our first pick

My first choice is Hopkins...... The kid was a great player last year, and would start immediately for the Colts. He has enough speed to go deep and can catch the ball with players draped all over him

He was constantly double teamed and found a way to get the football. He also made some good CBs look silly. (Check out the LSU bowl game) his 18 touchdowns prove that he has a nose for the end zone.

If I couldn't pull this deal , I would seek a trade 5-8 picks later and get this massive guard...... He owned people on a very bad football team

Lastly, if the OTHER two deals didn't happen, I would go after Jenkins...... The guy is a mauler.... What we have NEVER have had at a DT or NT position

I do view the last scenario as the least favorite as with Chapman and our new FA, we may already have our rotation set

Warford only if there is a trade down. Otherwise Justin Hunter or Hopkins would be my choice. I prefer Hunter because he can be that large fast receiver the Colts have never had. Hopkins is a more of a Reggie Wayne type Wr. Great hands, but not game breaking speed.

Ide like to see us wait on WR. This is a loaded class. We could probably wait til our 3rd round pick and end up with Patton, Bailey, Terrence Williams, Kenny Stills (I really like was overshadowed by Broyles for 2 years).

I want us to go BDPA in round 1, maybe OL if someone is there worth it or a trade down.

We need to trade out of the first round IMO. Get in at the beginning of the 2nd round and net ourselves another pick later.

I agree that simply drafting Hopkins with a first round pick is not the way to go for us... maybe for other teams but, not us. If we can trade down and draft Hopkins in the 2nd round I would be ECSTATIC!!!

Grigson will make our later picks into solid additions of rookies who are hungry and ready to compete.

I have a feeling that with our current WR corps... Hopkins could put up numbers similar to AJ Green in his rookie season.

I don't want another NG but NFLnetwork had him on a couple weeks ago and this guy looked like he is working out.   Said he was around 330 lbs and wanted to get lower.   

Good for him,  he has talent.     If he can keep the weight off he will be a very good NT/DT.    

But Indy doesn't need him.

John Jenkins? Please no.
1. A reach

2. Weight problems, could be out of the league fast

3. Don't need a NT in the first at all.

We need to trade out of the first round IMO. Get in at the beginning of the 2nd round and net ourselves another pick later.

I agree that simply drafting Hopkins with a first round pick is not the way to go for us... maybe for other teams but, not us. If we can trade down and draft Hopkins in the 2nd round I would be ECSTATIC!!!

Grigson will make our later picks into solid additions of rookies who are hungry and ready to compete.

I have a feeling that with our current WR corps... Hopkins could put up numbers similar to AJ Green in his rookie season.

Slow down.......  

Slow down.......  

Sure he is a couple inches smaller but what is there to slow down about? If he truly would be a starter week 1... 60-70 catches and something near 1,000 yards is achievable. That would be 3-4 catches a game on average and factor in a couple long bombs or break away plays...

Warford only if there is a trade down. Otherwise Justin Hunter or Hopkins would be my choice. I prefer Hunter because he can be that large fast receiver the Colts have never had. Hopkins is a more of a Reggie Wayne type Wr. Great hands, but not game breaking speed.

Compare stats, durability, and game tape and you'll fall in love with Hopkins real quick...You got two game breakers, TY and Brazill. Hopkins had 18 tds, what is your criteria for being a "game breaker" haha He's not like reggie wayne, like a blogger posted earlier, he's more like Roddy White. Justin Hunter is like Stephen Hill of last year's draft.

John Jenkins? Please no.

1. A reach

2. Weight problems, could be out of the league fast

3. Don't need a NT in the first at all.

Thank you.

I hate be the only guy saying the same thing over and over and over again....

It's nice to be able to pass the 'baton' to someone else and have them do some of the heavy lifting....

One of my least favorite players in the draft  (though, in the interest of fairness, I did hear a nice review of him recently)

Compare stats, durability, and game tape and you'll fall in love with Hopkins real quick...You got two game breakers, TY and Brazill. Hopkins had 18 tds, what is your criteria for being a "game breaker" haha He's not like reggie wayne, like a blogger posted earlier, he's more like Roddy White. Justin Hunter is like Stephen Hill of last year's draft.

I think if Grigson was comfortable with TY and Brazill as our 'game breakers' he would not be pursuing DHB and whoever was the "whale" a few weeks back.....

I think the Front Office wants another difference maker outside.....

Ide like to see us wait on WR. This is a loaded class. We could probably wait til our 3rd round pick and end up with Patton, Bailey, Terrence Williams, Kenny Stills (I really like was overshadowed by Broyles for 2 years).

I want us to go BDPA in round 1, maybe OL if someone is there worth it or a trade down.

Why not get the best 1 though?

As I said, the first 2 options are probably most logical with our recent NT pickup.

Option 1...,,,,,,, Luck has an immediate game changer and target that will draw constant double teams

This makes the whole offense much more effective as one or more othe receivers will get single coverage

Currently, We have no one on the roster that would get consistent double teams...... At WR

Option 2

Watching some tape of this guy Warford, he reminds me of a young Steve Hutchinson or even a Larry Allen

If you want to run the ball......... He is one of 2 in this draft can really push the pile from a guard position

Our running attack would immediately get better........

If we go option 2 We STILL need a solid WR............... I am not sold that its Bobo Brazile

Maybe we get the head case DuhRick........

I have a crappy feeling if we trade out of the first round our rivals, the houston texans, will scoop up deandre Hopkins. And I don't wanna be facing that man for the next 5 years.

Couldn't agree more. I want him on our side rather than facing him twice a year

As I said, the first 2 options are probably most logical with our recent NT pickup.

Option 1...,,,,,,, Luck has an immediate game changer and target that will draw constant double teams

This makes the whole offense much more effective as one or more othe receivers will get single coverage

Currently, We have no one on the roster that would get consistent double teams...... At WR

Option 2

Watching some tape of this guy Warford, he reminds me of a young Steve Hutchinson or even a Larry Allen

If you want to run the ball......... He is one of 2 in this draft can really push the pile from a guard position

Our running attack would immediately get better........

If we go option 2 We STILL need a solid WR............... I am not sold that its Bobo Brazile

Maybe we get the head case DuhRick........

Reggie Wayne was double teamed almost every play last year .

You cant even compare Hunter to Hill at all.  Hill barely even had any tape because of the Offense he was in during college.  Hunters style of play and Hills are completely different in the size, stride, how they catch, style of play, etc.

Also all the people comparing Hopkins to White are Comparing Hunter to AJ Green.....

I just hope we don't get in that same rut as before were we just pick offense offense trying to give Luck weapons and load the d with late round or udfa talent. Luckily this new regime is not polian, we won't do that. But I still see a lot of posters/fans wanting to go down that road again.

I just hope we don't get in that same rut as before were we just pick offense offense trying to give Luck weapons and load the d with late round or udfa talent. Luckily this new regime is not polian, we won't do that. But I still see a lot of posters/fans wanting to go down that road again.

I couldnt agree with you more. i mean last years draft was mostly offensive picks to mold around Luck and this year build the defense to pagano's liking through the draft. and alot of posters on here want to go WR with our first pick, and i have even seen in other topics where Lacey's name even came up. Guess some people are still living in the polian Era. 

Last year drafted mostly offense and i believe 2 defensive players in the later rounds.

This year should be the opposite- Draft defense with our first two picks (1st and 3rd) maybe then get a WR in the 4th round and 6th  or one of our 7th round picks an offensive player and the rest of the picks use on defense. because honestly im not sold on toller. and drafting Trufant, Rhodes or Banks with our first pick would be nice. 

I couldnt agree with you more. i mean last years draft was mostly offensive picks to mold around Luck and this year build the defense to pagano's liking through the draft. and alot of posters on here want to go WR with our first pick, and i have even seen in other topics where Lacey's name even came up. Guess some people are still living in the polian Era. 

Last year drafted mostly offense and i believe 2 defensive players in the later rounds.

This year should be the opposite- Draft defense with our first two picks (1st and 3rd) maybe then get a WR in the 4th round and 6th  or one of our 7th round picks an offensive player and the rest of the picks use on defense. because honestly im not sold on toller. and drafting Trufant, Rhodes or Banks with our first pick would be nice. 

I'm just glad you don't run the team.

A receiver in the 4th, 6th or 7th? Yeah, I'm sure he'll replace Reggie.  :facepalm:

It's an offensive league now. If you can't keep up in scoring, you lose. I'm not against taking defense, but I'd like to see a WR in the first, then go all defense for the rest of the draft. What's wrong with that?

I think we need a DT/NT. Sorry to say it, but we have players at the position who are coming back from injuries. You never know what is going to happen. But I'll be happy with whatever move we make at 24 or trading for more picks.

I'm just glad you don't run the team.

A receiver in the 4th, 6th or 7th? Yeah, I'm sure he'll replace Reggie. :facepalm:

It's an offensive league now. If you can't keep up in scoring, you lose. I'm not against taking defense, but I'd like to see a WR in the first, then go all defense for the rest of the draft. What's wrong with that?

Nothing if one is there without reaching. We have some pretty damn good Wr's and te's as it is. I don't think we NEED one this year. Maybe next for sure but then again what Wr's are on the market next year? And we may still sign one this year. But we sure don't need anymore te's as I've seen some suggest. Think we are good at rb also.

I have no problem drafting defense if a great cb or olb falls to us but honestly we just spent an entire offseason signing Toler, Landry, Francis, Walden, Franklin, and a couple others. We spent our 2nd rd pick on Davis....our 5th last year on Chapman...picked up Redding last offseason and made several moves for CB, S, and LB. Where are you getting this idea that we are over-looking the defense for our offense? This has been perhaps the most level handed approach I've ever seen in building a team. 

We actually are doing it the way I like. Building the skilled positions through the draft and those other harder to evaluate positions (OL, CB, DL) through FA where you get a better idea of the players skills vs bigger, stronger competition. I like taking young qb and wrs because they can grow together....and have a long career together and build that chemistry. I would be all for taking a WR rd 1 if the right one is there....if not I hope we get more OL help. I think we could use some CB and LB help in this draft too to build depth and our special teams.

Hopkins might be fair market value at pick #24, but I don't think he's that much better than Keenan Allen. Both these receivers offer better value in the early 2nd round. Warford is a reach in the 1st round, and Jenkins a bigger reach.

Barring a mad run on mediocre QBs that pushes an elite prospect like Rhodes/Cooper/Jones/Patterson down to the Colts, the only remaining players worth taking in the first round are Desmond Trufant and Damontre Moore. If both are gone, I hope Grigson trades down into the early 2nd round, acquiring an extra 3rd round pick. This year's draft is stacked so deep with talented receivers that the Colts can grab its future #1 WR in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Only if no other team wants to trade up should the Colts consider drafting Banks or a top WR in the 1st round.

By trading down, all kinds of wonderful possibilities open up.  In the early 2nd round, the Colts can scoop whoever is available among Banks, Warford, Hopkins, or Allen.

If the Colts don't grab a WR in the 2nd round, they can use their early 3rd round pick (acquired from the trade down) to select any receiver remaining among Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, Terrance Williams, Markus Wheaton, Stedman Bailey, or Da'Rick Rogers.  These young receivers are already talented enough to start as #2 wideout while learning from Reggie Wayne and eventually replace him when he retires.