Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If DHB signs...

MrNLM

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ColtsInsiders: For those asking... Yes, it seems as though DHB will be suiting up for tge #Colts this season. Grigson seemed to elude to it in conference call

Eluding is avoiding... Alluding to is hinting at...

So is this tweet suggesting Grigson was avoiding any implication that DHB will play for the Colts, or hinting that he will?

Eluding is avoiding... Alluding to is hinting at...

So is this tweet suggesting Grigson was avoiding any implication that DHB will play for the Colts, or hinting that he will?

Somebody had corrected him on twitter, he meant alluding lol

In today's league, unless you are drafting in the top 10 and have an absolute freak like AP, drafting early running backs is pointless.  Value can be found in MANY rounds and most dont last more than two contracts.  I would prefer we find valus in the draft and free agency.  I am not sure that Ballard can't be 1/2 of our running tandem.  I say take our time and don't force an early pick on a position that can be filled by multiple picks.

Also, someone mentioned picking a pick 24 WR wouldnt make sense because he wouldn't start right away.... That is entirely ok.  As much as we would love a stud impact player this year, we ultimately are hoping to find a player that can be groomed to replace Reggie.  If it is a developmental project who isn't on the field every snap that is OK if he can become "that guy".  DHB could easily take the back burner to let another guy get on the field some. 

Synopsis: We are looking to build a team that can contend every year, not just a one year wonder of a team.

Grigson has already stated that he doesn't like going with guards early, you can get good ones like Frederick or Brian Winters in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If DHB does sign then i think we go with ILB or CB. We have addressed every position on defense in free agency except ILB. Angerer and Conner just doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme Freeman is the only starter we have. If Alec Ogletree or Arthur Brown is there we should draft them.

Grigson has already stated that he doesn't like going with guards early, you can get good ones like Frederick or Brian Winters in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If DHB does sign then i think we go with ILB or CB. We have addressed every position on defense in free agency except ILB. Angerer and Conner just doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme Freeman is the only starter we have. If Alec Ogletree or Arthur Brown is there we should draft them.

When did he say that?

When did he say that?

He didn't. Every since Grigson said that he would rather start rookie CB's rather than rookie O-lineman, people have put their own spin on his actual comment. Essentially, he would prefer to start O-lineman with experience, he didn't mean that he wouldn't pick o-lineman early or that he would never start rookies on the O-line. All GM's/coaches I've ever heard, say that it takes 2-3 yrs. for O-lineman to completely adjust to the pro game. I'm sure there are exceptions to that for those o-lineman that have off the charts talent.

He didn't. Every since Grigson said that he would rather start rookie CB's rather than rookie O-lineman, people have put their own spin on his actual comment. Essentially, he would prefer to start O-lineman with experience, he didn't mean that he wouldn't pick o-lineman early or that he would never start rookies on the O-line. All GM's/coaches I've ever heard, say that it takes 2-3 yrs. for O-lineman to completely adjust to the pro game. I'm sure there are exceptions to that for those o-lineman that have off the charts talent.

That's a far cry from not wanting to draft a guard early on, so I figured the other poster was referencing an entirely different comment from Grigson.

That's a far cry from not wanting to draft a guard early on, so I figured the other poster was referencing an entirely different comment from Grigson.

As far as I know he's never said anything even remotely close to that. Any GM that would say something like that should be fired.

As far as I know he's never said anything even remotely close to that. Any GM that would say something like that should be fired.

What?    Why?

It's a philosophy.   A personal view.    It's about establishing value and priorities.

Now, I might not agree with it.    You might not agree with it.    But why fire a guy over like that??   

I don't think this is out of the mainstream of thinking.........

What?    Why?

It's a philosophy.   A personal view.    It's about establishing value and priorities.

Now, I might not agree with it.    You might not agree with it.    But why fire a guy over like that??   

I don't think this is out of the mainstream of thinking.........

I think any GM that would outright say that he would never draft a guard in the 1st rd. should be fired. That is an extremely shortsighted point of view and doing a disservice to the team he works for. Bill Polian never came out and said that, but he never would value guards highly and we seen how it affected us. Yes, it's possible to get decent guards later in the draft, but if a team can get much better talent higher and fix a weak area on their team, then they should do it. One of the main reasons I couldn't stand Polian is because of his ho hum attitude towards the O-line. I've always been a big believer in building the trenches and if that is taken care of, the rest of the team will benefit greatly from it. Polian done just the opposite, he built the team from the outside in and even though I know some disagree, I think he killed our chances of more super bowls because of it.

Or they have yet to make an offer. I think the general consensus is DHB is going to ask for a lot more than he is "worth". I hope we sign him, but we can't break the bank either.

Realistically, he shouldn't get anymore than 1.5 or 2 mil. for a 1 yr. contract.

I think any GM that would outright say that he would never draft a guard in the 1st rd. should be fired. That is an extremely shortsighted point of view and doing a disservice to the team he works for. Bill Polian never came out and said that, but he never would value guards highly and we seen how it affected us. Yes, it's possible to get decent guards later in the draft, but if a team can get much better talent higher and fix a weak area on their team, then they should do it. One of the main reasons I couldn't stand Polian is because of his ho hum attitude towards the O-line. I've always been a big believer in building the trenches and if that is taken care of, the rest of the team will benefit greatly from it. Polian done just the opposite, he built the team from the outside in and even though I know some disagree, I think he killed our chances of more super bowls because of it.

Boy.....

We see this very, very differently.....

But,  that's what makes the world go around.....

Boy.....

We see this very, very differently.....

But,  that's what makes the world go around.....

You honestly think it's a good idea for any GM to basically throw away a certain position early in the draft before he ever even gives the player a chance? IMO that is a terrible strategy for a GM to have. Or are you talking about what I said about Polian? 

You honestly think it's a good idea for any GM to basically throw away a certain position early in the draft before he ever even gives the player a chance? IMO that is a terrible strategy for a GM to have. Or are you talking about what I said about Polian? 

Like I said before,  I do not agree with that strategy. 

I just don't think it's a firing offense.   And I think there are many General Managers who agree with that view as well.

That's how guys like DeCastro fell to 24.    That's how people here think there's a chance that Warmack and Cooper might somehow slide to the Colts.     Many teams will pass on Guards and Inside Linebackers.     They think they are not premium positions and that the teams can fill those positions with lower level draft picks.

That's their view.     Sorry, but I don't see it as a fireable offense.

I think we need another pass rusher, and probably a guard (would be nice to have someone with some pedigree at right guard, rather than a conglomerate of castoffs and misfits). And I'd take a corner at #24 also, depending on who's still left, but would prefer a pass rusher for sure.

I haven't looked at what the trade value should be for #24, but if we could get a mid to high second rounder and an additional fourth or high fifth rounder, then it would be worthwhile to trade down. There's not a lot of difference between the 24th guy and the 44th guy in this draft, I don't think. But I bet Grigson just takes whoever he likes there, and I'm cool with that as well. 

Well, moving Mathis to rush side I think helps quell that need quite a bit, and you gotta believe Hughes will continue to back him up, so that helps, too. Hughes has shown some flashes, I think he's just missing out on playing experience, as in playing a majority of a game, and just adjusting to that. So if Mathis goes down, I would be fine with putting Hughes in there and seeing if he's worth keeping or not, once and for all.

What pass rushers would you consider with #24?

I'm just not in love with this draft. Sure, there will be some great talent come out of it, that's how it works, but this year is more a game of "maybe, maybe not" than any year I can remember. If we can find a team willing to give us a good package of future picks for #24, I think we should take it. Like I said, I'd love to see a team expecting to be picking 25th or after next year offer us their 1st next year for the pick, much like we did with the 49ers some years back in the trade that got us Tony Ugoh,

Like I said before,  I do not agree with that strategy. 

I just don't think it's a firing offense.   And I think there are many General Managers who agree with that view as well.

That's how guys like DeCastro fell to 24.    That's how people here think there's a chance that Warmack and Cooper might somehow slide to the Colts.     Many teams will pass on Guards and Inside Linebackers.     They think they are not premium positions and that the teams can fill those positions with lower level draft picks.

That's their view.     Sorry, but I don't see it as a fireable offense.

I agree that guard isn't a high value pick and personally I would NEVER draft a RB in the 1st rd., but thats why I'm not a GM. All I'm saying is that, if there are guards available that are extremely talented I.E. Warmack, Cooper, and the GM says he wouldn't even consider them because they are guards, then yes, that GM should get his walking papers. Even if that is how he truly feels, it's smarter to keep that nonsense to himself than to come out and say it publicly.

Well, moving Mathis to rush side I think helps quell that need quite a bit, and you gotta believe Hughes will continue to back him up, so that helps, too. Hughes has shown some flashes, I think he's just missing out on playing experience, as in playing a majority of a game, and just adjusting to that. So if Mathis goes down, I would be fine with putting Hughes in there and seeing if he's worth keeping or not, once and for all.

What pass rushers would you consider with #24?

I'm just not in love with this draft. Sure, there will be some great talent come out of it, that's how it works, but this year is more a game of "maybe, maybe not" than any year I can remember. If we can find a team willing to give us a good package of future picks for #24, I think we should take it. Like I said, I'd love to see a team expecting to be picking 25th or after next year offer us their 1st next year for the pick, much like we did with the 49ers some years back in the trade that got us Tony Ugoh,

I'm good with Hughes, but wouldn't want to hang my hat on him. Outside of Mathis, we don't have any proven pure pass rushers. Hughes might be that second guy, but he's a backup at this point. Having another guy who can rotate with those two and Walden at OLB would help a lot.

I'm not a draft master, but some of the guys that could be there at #24 would be Werner, Moore, Ogletree, Okafor, Lemonier, etc. If we traded out, Sam Montgomery will probably be available in the middle of the second.

What I like about this draft is that, while it's not stocked with recognizable games, I think the players have higher floors than other years. Not a lot of bust potential in this draft. And there are a lot of prospects at the utility positions: guards, tackles, defensive tackles, corners, safeties, etc. A guy like DJ Fluker could easily be a starting tackle on opening day, and have a long and successful career, and he's like the 6th rated tackle and 11th rated lineman in the draft, probably won't go until the middle of the second round. Not a lot of big name quarterbacks and receivers, running back is being downgraded as a draft priority... And I think that's what leaves people sort of underwhelmed about this draft. But there's a ton of value at the foundational positions.

Why?? Ballard Dosent cut it for you ?

I jest,

OP asked "If DHB signs..." so i filled in the blank

I like Ballard & I think with a good O-line even D. Brown can be an above average, dare I say even a good back...

I just know how drafts go down for the Colts (at least in the Polian era)

and now seeing how Grigson worked free-agency (lots of under the radar players, addressed alot of positions),

I will not be surprised if Colts go ANY direction in this draft...

So saying I fully expect a RB to be drafted is my way of saying I expect the unexpected...

sometimes humor gets lost on the interwebs...

I jest,

OP asked "If DHB signs..." so i filled in the blank

I like Ballard & I think with a good O-line even D. Brown can be an above average, dare I say even a good back...

I just know how drafts go down for the Colts (at least in the Polian era)

and now seeing how Grigson worked free-agency (lots of under the radar players, addressed alot of positions),

I will not be surprised if Colts go ANY direction in this draft...

So saying I fully expect a RB to be drafted is my way of saying I expect the unexpected...

sometimes humor gets lost on the interwebs...

I get it now ! Sorry I didn't quite grasp it at first ! Thought you really wanted a RB 1st

well sir, i must disagree; the whole nfl would shutter in fear of the colts offense with a qb of lucks' caliber and a rb of APs' caliber....

Sorry, but running backs don't mean that much. Hell, the Vikings had their best season was when AP had his worst