Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Jim Irsay's twitter use negatively affect the Colts?

Tony Sullivan

Does Jim Irsay's twitter use negatively affect the Colts?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jim Irsay's twitter use negatively affect the Colts?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw the big issue.  Irsay KNEW the contract would be what it was and, in all honesty, he realized that Manning was this franchise.  Manning deserved the contract he received and I am sure there were some pre-set ideas on both sides as to how the negotiations woudl progress.  No big deal

Agreed...and he never did it with anyone else that I can remember, it just surprised me that he said it publicly and beforehand.

I'll bet Condon never had to work less for his 5%...that's for sure. :)

coltsb_logo.gif Indianapolis Colts: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas Arkansas_logo.gif
Jim Irsay seemed drunk when he spent a weekend night posting song lyrics about acquiring a receiver. Unfortunately, nothing happened. Irsay might have to get a wideout in the draft instead.

heeh.ee   This is from the outstanding online site Walter Football...       This is how "some" view Indy's owner.

Irsay's silly use of Twitter doesn't hurt or help his football team.    I does however ofter portray him often times as a drunk 16 year old with a brand new laptop.   

Sometimes I think he embarrasses himself. 

EDIT...   the pick by the way was in the 4th round...   they had Indy taking

1  Tank Carradine      Kinda like this one

3  T Fredrick...   NO...  

4  Cobi H...        Could do worse..

No but it looks like he has some serious mental issues or drinking problems. The man is either a genius or just incredibly lucky.

He inherited the team from his dad - a golden egg dropped in his lap.  Does that help answer your question?

He inherited the team from his dad - a golden egg dropped in his lap.  Does that help answer your question?

Just curious, how does his success compare with those who acquired their team by earning all their own money without inheriting it?

Just curious, how does his success compare with those who acquired their team by earning all their own money without inheriting it?

I have no idea - that's not the topic we were discussing.

To get back to the original question - it was "is Jim a genius or lucky"?  My answer was lucky.  Doesn't mean I think he's stupid, or hasn't done a good job managing the asset he inherited. 

1.  It is my understanding that he does not drink.....  yet people still connect his tweets to drinking...

2.  Although at times  I think they're a bit strange,   His tweets don't bother me nearly as much as some of the stuff I read on the Forum...

3.  It may affect some people's perception of the Colts organization, but it doesn't affect the performance of the Colts..    

and they are at times, very entertaining  ;)

To get back to the original question - it was "is Jim a genius or lucky"? My answer was lucky. Doesn't mean I think he's stupid, or hasn't done a good job managing the asset he inherited.

No doubt anyone who inherits an NFL team is lucky. But I'd say both. This team was a bottom feeder until Jim showed Indy what winning football looks like.

No doubt anyone who inherits an NFL team is lucky. But I'd say both. This team was a bottom feeder until Jim showed Indy what winning football looks like.

and it happened almost to the moment Jim Irsay started running the team.  While he wasn't the official owner till later Jim pretty took over as owner in 1995 because his dad had a stroke and was unable to run the team.  Up to that season the Colts had gone to the playoffs once since they moved to Indianapolis.  From that point on they have missed the playoffs a total of four times.  Anyone who doesn't think Jim Irsay is a good owner either just flat out doesn't like the man and lets their hate distort their view or has crazy expectations for what makes a good owner. 

and it happened almost to the moment Jim Irsay started running the team.  While he wasn't the official owner till later Jim pretty took over as owner in 1995 because his dad had a stroke and was unable to run the team.  Up to that season the Colts had gone to the playoffs once since they moved to Indianapolis.  From that point on they have missed the playoffs a total of four times.  Anyone who doesn't think Jim Irsay is a good owner either just flat out doesn't like the man and lets their hate distort their view or has crazy expectations for what makes a good owner. 

Very, very well said....    Really....    Seriously.     Well said!      :thmup:

I agree with you generally - Jim was lucky and has then done a fine job (I think I already said exactly this a few posts ago).  It's really the word "genius" that I can't swallow - we have very few of them in the world.

How in the world does the fact that I don't think Jim is a "genius" lead you to leap to that statement?       Geez ... look up the word genius in a dictionary.

Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein, Leonardo di Vinci are considered geniuses.

I consider Irsay a great owner, but not a genius.

How does that negatively impact the Colts?  Maybe personal pride but having the owner being made fun of on a national TV really has no impact on the team.  I don't take much stock in those TV shows when they make fun of things either.  Most of the time it's them making something news that isn't really news just because they need something to talk about on the TV show. 

they may make fun of him....but they also follow him

just sayin

I agree

At times, it takes my breath away, the things people say..the level of hate......says more about the hater than anything else

To get back to the original question - it was "is Jim a genius or lucky"?  My answer was lucky.  Doesn't mean I think he's stupid, or hasn't done a good job managing the asset he inherited. 

Actually, the topic was whether his actions had a negative effect on the franchise, as far as the original question. Since posters.... had since veered off into genius/lucky, I asked a legitimate question about the reasoning behind your choice between those two. Having no idea is a legit answer.

Actually, the topic was whether his actions had a negative effect on the franchise, as far as the original question. Since posters.... had since veered off into genius/lucky, I asked a legitimate question about the reasoning behind your choice between those two. Having no idea is a legit answer.

My post was in response to the tangential topic "genius or lucky?" and I was answering that specific question, not the OP.  Again, I believe I was quite clear when I said that Jim was lucky and not a genius (those were the only 2 choices), and explained my rationale by reminding people that genius is a very specific term reserved for people like Einstein and Hawking. 

My answer to the OP is "no, doesn't hurt the team".

And again, I think Jim is a fine owner, and would be fun to hang with!

My post was in response to the tangential topic "genius or lucky?" and I was answering that specific question, not the OP. Again, I believe I was quite clear when I said that Jim was lucky and not a genius (those were the only 2 choices), and explained my rationale by reminding people that genius is a very specific term reserved for people like Einstein and Hawking.

My answer to the OP is "no, doesn't hurt the team".

And again, I think Jim is a fine owner, and would be fun to hang with!

The word genius actually isn't specific to just those who posses monstrous intellect.

You can be a genius at many things and have a very average, or below average IQ.

Though I do know what your saying.

The word genius actually isn't specific to just those who posses monstrous intellect.

You can be a genius at many things and have a very average, or below average IQ.

Though I do know what your saying.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/genius

gen·ius (jemacr.gifnprime.gifyschwa.gifs)

n. pl. gen·ius·es
a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius" (Simone de Beauvoir).
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/genius

gen·ius (jemacr.gifnprime.gifyschwa.gifs)

n. pl. gen·ius·es

a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.

b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius" (Simone de Beauvoir).

c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

Noun

Exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.

A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect: "musical genius".

;)

Like I said I got your overall point, but being a genius is much more than intellect alone.

I sincerely doubt that his tweets impact his actual business, although one could easily imagine a player/agent holding out for more money when they learn that Irsay is hinting at that player's signing to his fans before the deal is signed.

I know many, many non-Colt fans, fans of various teams, who are thankful that their own owners do not act like he does online. I also know many Colt fans who face-palm when they read his latest tweets.

I'd say that, from what I've seen, Colt fans tend to be 50-50 when it comes to Irsay's tweets; half are embarrassed by them, the other half couldn't care less.

No doubt anyone who inherits an NFL team is lucky. But I'd say both. This team was a bottom feeder until Jim hired Bill Polian who showed Indy what winning football looks like.

Fixed for accuracy. No longer the case, of course, as Polian's gone, but Polian was the one who fixed the Colts.

Fans of other teams seem to despise Irsay. Out of jealousy? Some of it. The growing consensus is that he is the next Jerry Jones, an attention hog. That is the only negative I have about his tweets. I don't think he is drunk, just the creative musician type.

Noun

Exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.

A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect: "musical genius".

;)

Like I said I got your overall point, but being a genius is much more than intellect alone.

Peace.

Einstein's school teachers thought he was "slow" ! :)

Fixed for accuracy. No longer the case, of course, as Polian's gone, but Polian was the one who fixed the Colts.

That is very true. The Colts became good/great after Jim was smart enough to fire himself as GM and hire a football expert.

Fans of other teams seem to despise Irsay. Out of jealousy? Some of it. The growing consensus is that he is the next Jerry Jones, an attention hog. That is the only negative I have about his tweets. I don't think he is drunk, just the creative musician type.

I have never heard him compared to Jones. Link? Source?

He certainly likes attention, but he is not a meddling micro-manager, and he has a competent GM who is not himself.

Most fans  also believe the Colts threw games to land Luck, the NBA is rigged,etc.....

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

So lets fix it a step further... Jim hired Bill who drafted Peyton who showed Indy what winning football is... Except it all starts with Jim, and the winning is continuing despite Bill and Peyton departing.

people like to forget the colts run started with tobin and harbaugh who Irsay brought in to replace himself. Tobin got the Colts to the payoffs twice including an AFC Title game ad before people dismiss it because of the Cots record keep in mind Tobin's two payoff teams were twice as many playoff trips as the Colts had had since they moved here till that time. When that team feel apart Irsay showed the courage to go in a new direction with Polian and Manning. While that is a no brainier now it was not at the time. Harbaugh was the most popular ad successful Indianapolis Colts QB to that point in time. They could have tried to reload around him and people in Indy would have been fine with it at the tie. However Irsay either saw something special in Peyton or listened to Polian who saw it. Either way if he didn't sign off on it that move doesn't happen. Also the Colts didn't just start winning with Manning. The three years Irsay owned the team or was acting owner before Manning got here they were in the playoffs twice and the one year they have had since Manning they were in the playoffs. So of the four years Irsay has been the man in charge without Peyton on the roster they have been in the playoffs three of them. I think it's safe to say Irsay has a pretty solid track record without Peyton so you can't just demiss his success as owner as a product of Manning and Polian like some try to do.

I have never heard him compared to Jones. Link? Source?He certainly likes attention, but he is not a meddling micro-manager, and he has a competent GM who is not himself.

No, I didn't mean he is a micro manager, just the attention thing. I think Jim is crazy like a fox and I like him. His twitter account has a picture of him in a white tuxedo with a circle of his guitar collection around him. He is dressed as if he is a big top circus announcer. Lol. ,that's all you need to know about irsays modus operandi. He is a showman...an entertainer...and football is entertainment lest we all forget. Jones otoh, is a needy self centered .......never mind, I will take the high road.

Most fans also believe the Colts threw games to land Luck, the NBA is rigged,etc.....

i want to say first I know the NBA isn't rigged but when you have an official in jail who admitted to gambling on games I can see why some might feel it is.

I also don't think "most" fans think the Colts threw games to land Luck. I think a minority think that or some say it to be funny. I think most people who are fans understand just how important Peyton was to that team and how bad the QB play was without him.