Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Jim Irsay's twitter use negatively affect the Colts?

Tony Sullivan

Does Jim Irsay's twitter use negatively affect the Colts?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jim Irsay's twitter use negatively affect the Colts?

• Yes
    • No

In light of the recent potential fall-out with a "wopper," of a receiver, I've read some people say they think his twitter postings effected the negotiations.

Irsay is the owner of the Colts, and as such any public action he makes reflects the Colts.

Do you think he hurts the Colts image with his postings, and furthermore do you think it effects how players, agents, and other football personnel interact with the Colts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not. Like I've said before, if his tweeting really bothers you, you probably shouldn't be on the fan forum he operates. It's 2013, social media is here to stay. There's something really ironic about complaining about twitter on an online social media platform which is kept up to date by posters using twitter as a tool. It's not like he's divulging important info anyways, and the media would eventually find out from a "source." Really, Irsay is just his own source who controls what fans and media know. The cool thing about tweeting is the fans know at the same time the media does...

I'll make one last comment on this 37th thread of the year on this topic.

His tweets, riddled with spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, present him as a very genuine, but uneducated man.  But they are fun - I especially liked his contests and rock lyrics since we're about the same age.  I get a kick out of people trying to discern deep meaning from them - some of them remind me of tonal poems from the prog rock group Yes; the words sound really cool next to each other, but really don't mean anything.

Anyway, I do appreciate owners like Jim Irsay and Mark Cuban (a very smart guy) who do not care what others think of them.  But, I suppose that serious  money does that!  :)

Edited by Nadine
masked profanity

Affect the Colts? NO. We landed Vontae just fine

Affect this forum? YES

Affects forum:

1. Loss of Sleep

2. Forum becomes edgy

3. Forum becomes hostile

4. Threads like these get created

5. If the player doesn't live up to the hype it receives (i.e. the WR thing) things get divided on here & gets a bit chaotic

Just my opinion on it

i think it could cause them to lose a bit of leverage. think about it if an owner is tweeting about how long they have been working on a guy or how bad they want him, his agent is going to reach out to other teams to drive up the price. for example if we were trying to sign wes welker, i am sure his agent would show denver and whatever other teams how badly the colts wanted him and drove up more interest. maybe denver didn't need him but just didn't want to see him go to the colts.... lose of leverage by the colts and puts a lot of power into the player's agents hands... just a thought. ps before people freak out i know wes wasn't the wr irsay was talking about... just used him as an example.

I'll make one last comment on this 37th thread of the year on this topic.

His tweets, riddled with spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, present him as a very genuine, but uneducated man.  But they are fun - I especially liked his contests and rock lyrics since we're about the same age.  I get a kick out of people trying to discern deep meaning from them - some of them remind me of tonal poems from the prog rock group Yes; the words sound really cool next to each other, but really don't mean anything.

Anyway, I do appreciate owners like Jim Irsay and Mark Cuban (a very smart guy) who do not care what others think of them.  But, I suppose that serious money does that!  :)

You're really judging the education level of someone by their twitter grammar???

I get what people are saying.......if you don't like what he (Irsay)says then don't read it or post about it. I must say though, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people that I was disappointed about not getting this so called great FA WR. I mean it's kind of like when you were a little kid in July and you go to bed that night and you have that dream that it's Christmas morning and then wake up and figure out its not. I don't care that Irsay tweets, I think it's great that we can stay so connected to sports stars, owners or whom ever but I think that he should think before he starts tweeting about certain topics IMO.

You're really judging the education level of someone by their twitter grammar???

Well, of course - certainly I am.  In only 2 recent tweets, Jim said:

past instead of passed

it's instead of its

buy instead of by

wopper instead of whopper.

Jim and I are about the same age and I learned all the above in grade school.

Question for you - if you can't judge someone's education and literacy by their ability to properly write and speak (I haven't mentioned oral repetitions of "and, uhm"), what alternative methods would  you propose?

I like Jim a lot - just saying he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (as W. Edwards Deming, noted quality guru said, "everybody can't be above average").  Would love to play golf with Jim and discuss 60's and 70's rock.  He'd be a way cool guy to hang out with.

Sometimes, yes. Irsay is made fun of a lot for his twitter on ESPN shows.

How does that negatively impact the Colts?  Maybe personal pride but having the owner being made fun of on a national TV really has no impact on the team.  I don't take much stock in those TV shows when they make fun of things either.  Most of the time it's them making something news that isn't really news just because they need something to talk about on the TV show. 

past instead of passed

it's instead of its

buy instead of by

Question for you - if you can't judge someone's education and literacy by their ability to properly write and speak (I haven't mentioned oral repetitions of "and, uhm"), what alternative methods would  you propose?

I like Jim a lot - just saying he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (as W. Edwards Deming, noted quality guru said, "everybody can't be above average").  Would love to play golf with him and discuss 60's and 70's rock.  He'd be a way cool guy to hang with.

Writing on something like twitter is hardly a good way to gage someone's education and literacy.  Twitter is designed for short hand and grammar mistakes and with it's 140 character limit sometimes it must be done.  If we were talking about Irsay writing an open letter or some kind of professional document then I would say it's a fair gage but I am not gaging anyone's education or literacy based on their grammar use on twitter. 

Also worth noting sometimes people can be very smart and have poor grammar or what not.  Personally I have a dyslexia that causes me to make grammar mistakes all the time.  Yes I work on it and try to do my best to correct it but it does not reflect my education level.  I have a degree from Ball State and graduated on the dean's list.  I will also admit I pay much more attention to my grammar skills when I was writing something like a paper or something formal than when I am say on the forum here. 

I am not saying Irsay has dyslexia or anything I have no way of knowing I am just saying I would be careful about judging someone's education or literacy skills based solely on something that is relaxed state like twitter. 

Also remember twitter is often done from a phone now a days and how many mistake do we see on things generated from a phone rather it be because of auto correct or a simple typo from hitting the wrong button or not wanting to hit the extra button to make it perfect. 

Just some food for thought. 

past instead of passed

it's instead of its

buy instead of by

Jim and I are about the same age and I learned all the above in grade school.

I like Jim a lot - just saying he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (as W. Edwards Deming, noted quality guru said, "everybody can't be above average").  Would love to play golf with Jim and discuss 60's and 70's rock.  He'd be a way cool guy to hang out with.

It's twitter...people often write hastily from a phone. I would be hesitant to judge the intelligence of a man from afar.

How does that negatively impact the Colts?  Maybe personal pride but having the owner being made fun of on a national TV really has no impact on the team.  I don't take much stock in those TV shows when they make fun of things either.  Most of the time it's them making something news that isn't really news just because they need something to talk about on the TV show. 

I'm just stating a fact that he is openly mocked on National TV. You've got to think it somewhat affects the team with his incoherent ramblings sometimes.

I don't think it affects the Colts at all. But some of his tweets I think are misleading, which can be annoying to Colts fans.

I think you hit the nail on the head here at the end.  Fans get annoyed at times with Irsay's twitter usage and because of that they have a problem with Irsay's tweeting and want it to stop so like most people when they see something they don't like they try to make it into a bigger deal than it really is. 

I said the other day about this subject Irsay uses twitter to try to keep the fan base excited about the team.  However, always remember it's up to us how we react to the information Irsay puts out there on twitter.  If people over react to what he says on twitter and get their hopes up that's on them.  They control their emotions not Irsay.  This seems to all relate back to the "wopper" tweet Irsay put out there.  Right from the start I've always took it with a grain of salt because we've already seen this off-season what the Colts deem as a big move doesn't always equal what fans expectations of a big move. 

I'm just stating a fact that he is openly mocked on National TV. You've got to think it somewhat affects the team with his incoherent ramblings sometimes.

I really doubt the team pays attention to what the media says about their owner.  I think fans get worked up over that and thus think the players should too.  I really doubt the players really care.  They are more focused on trying to win games and their own personal lives than what the media says about their owner. 

who cares.  there's too many people making a huge deal out of nothing here.  everyone has their opinion.  my is who cares.  i didn't lose any sleep over it.  i didn't lose any health over it.  the only thing idid lose was time from reading through 80 pages on the forum about who we might get.  personally i love having an owner that keeps us in the loop on things.  i think its as excitig for him as it is for us.  you can just tell a difference between him and most other owners.

Writing on something like twitter is hardly a good way to gage someone's education and literacy.  Twitter is designed for short hand and grammar mistakes and with it's 140 character limit sometimes it must be done.  If we were talking about Irsay writing an open letter or some kind of professional document then I would say it's a fair gage but I am not gaging anyone's education or literacy based on their grammar use on twitter. 

Also worth noting sometimes people can be very smart and have poor grammar or what not.  Personally I have a dyslexia that causes me to make grammar mistakes all the time.  Yes I work on it and try to do my best to correct it but it does not reflect my education level.  I have a degree from Ball State and graduated on the dean's list.  I will also admit I pay much more attention to my grammar skills when I was writing something like a paper or something formal than when I am say on the forum here. 

I am not saying Irsay has dyslexia or anything I have no way of knowing I am just saying I would be careful about judging someone's education or literacy skills based solely on something that is relaxed state like twitter. 

Also remember twitter is often done from a phone now a days and how many mistake do we see on things generated from a phone rather it be because of auto correct or a simple typo from hitting the wrong button or not wanting to hit the extra button to make it perfect. 

Just some food for thought. 

Thanks for the detailed reponse - I appreciate it.

But, since Jim and I are about the same age, I can tell you that execs of our age are typically pretty anal about proper grammar, etc.  But as I said, Jim doesn't have to be especially smart to be a good owner and a cool guy.

It's twitter...people often write hastily from a phone. I would be hesitant to judge the intelligence of a man from afar.

A regular person - sure.

A 50-ish billionaire CEO - no.  He has PR people to help him with spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Grade school stuff.

Jim appears to enjoy playing the fool - e.g. the Willy Wonka outfit.   I'm sure there were a lot of jokes at his expense at the owner's meeting.

I'm sure it doesn't affect the players, but I bet Grigs gets a lot of teasing about Jim!

Absolutely not. Like I've said before, if his tweeting really bothers you, you probably shouldn't be on the fan forum he operates. It's 2013, social media is here to stay. There's something really ironic about complaining about twitter on an online social media platform which is kept up to date by posters using twitter as a tool. It's not like he's divulging important info anyways, and the media would eventually find out from a "source." Really, Irsay is just his own source who controls what fans and media know. The cool thing about tweeting is the fans know at the same time the media does...

I've been a Colts fan far longer than twitter and this fan forum have been around. If Jim was saying these remarks on this forum as opposed to twitter I'd still have this poll up asking the commuinity's opinion on his remarks. I'm not going to stop loving the Colts because our Bob Dylan wannabe owner says stupid things online. Social media is more than definitely here to say but that's why most franchises have specific, experienced, people to handle public relations.

Then again maybe old Jim is a mastermind scheming what teams believe we'll do in the draft ahead of time, who knows. I still wish he didn't make the Colts image seem so goofy/whacked out from time to time.

Personally, I like Jim's tweets when he's engaging with the fans, but not when he's airing out our potential personnel moves.

Thanks for the detailed reponse - I appreciate it.

But, since Jim and I are about the same age, I can tell you that execs of our age are typically pretty anal about proper grammar, etc.  But as I said, Jim doesn't have to be especially smart to be a good owner and a cool guy.

I think it's safe to say what we know about Irsay he's not exactly like all other execs his age.  How many other NFL owners have a twitter account to start with for example?

A regular person - sure.

A 50-ish billionaire CEO - no.  He has PR people to help him with spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Grade school stuff.

Yes, I am sure the pr people are huddled around his phone on a late night in Arizona. If you don't find Irsay intelligent, fine, but don't base it off his twitter account.

I think it's safe to say what we know about Irsay he's not exactly like all other execs his age.  How many other NFL owners have a twitter account to start with for example?

I think we're mostly on the same page - he marches to a different drummer, which I like.

Prior Post:  "But as I said, Jim doesn't have to be especially smart to be a good owner and a cool guy."

I think we're mostly on the same page - he marches to a different drummer, which I like.

Prior Post:  "But as I said, Jim doesn't have to be especially smart to be a good owner and a cool guy."

I agree with the idea he marches to a different drummer but I would dispute the idea you have floated that he's not especially smart.  I've said in other threads about this that I think Irsay is crazy like a fox and that the crazy owner bit is a bit of a front.  I am also saying if you want to judge how smart Irsay is then twitter probably isn't the best gage for that. 

Don't get me wrong I don't think Irsay would have ever been a Rhodes Scholar or anything so if that's what you mean by especially smart then we probably agree but at least the way I've been reading your posts it kinda comes across like you think he's less smart than most owners. 

I would not be to worried about ESPN mocking anyone given the crap they put on TV most of the time.  Outside of Grantland ESPN is pretty much worthless.

I am sure his tweeting does affect some things especially if the agent of the player they are negotiating sees him tweeting about how bad they want a guy. I am sure plenty of agencies monitor the social network sites to just have as much information as they possible can during negotiations.

The rest of his stuff is just fun and his fan interaction is great.  His games that he plays and giveaways he has is an awesome thing and he should be applauded.  

I am sure his tweeting does affect some things especially if the agent of the player they are negotiating sees him tweeting about how bad they want a guy. I am sure plenty of agencies monitor the social network sites to just have as much information as they possible can during negotiations.

The rest of his stuff is just fun and his fan interaction is great.  His games that he plays and giveaways he has is an awesome thing and he should be applauded.  

This.

The only issue I ever had with Irsay was him publicly stating that we were going to make Peyton Manning the highest paid player in NFL history before Tom Condon's Gulfstream 650 even landed in Indy....but I'm not sure if Twitter was even around yet.

There wasn't much mystery to Manning's salary situation at the time...but as a rule public declarations about salary numbers are generally a bad idea.

to me, it is almost comical to think that a billionair who has developed one of the greatest dynasties in football during the Manning era and seems to already be well on the way to creating another great squad would be TRULY questioned in the NFL.  NFL personelle, players and coaches question guys like Al Davis who make bad personelle decisions and thus don't win.  They don't question guys who have a track record of truly winning. 

I honestly believe the only reason he acts the way he does on Twitter is because we Colts fans and general NFL fans love a little suspense and fun.  He has had a team that stays out of the limelight and he supplies a bit of stuff for pundits and fans to talk about it.

Don't over think this, people.

Wish I had a few threads form the past that were littered with complaints about how we never hear anything about what the Colts are doing in the offseason.

It was best said by late night TV personality about why anything centrist never gains momentum. It is always the strong opinions away from the center that are fueled by the most emotion.

There wasn't much mystery to Manning's salary situation at the time...but as a rule public declarations about salary numbers are generally a bad idea.

I never saw the big issue.  Irsay KNEW the contract would be what it was and, in all honesty, he realized that Manning was this franchise.  Manning deserved the contract he received and I am sure there were some pre-set ideas on both sides as to how the negotiations woudl progress.  No big deal