Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please Help Me Remember, Why Was Tommie Harris Cut?

cmgww

sorry if this has been discussed before, but why was Tommie Harris cut? With Fili and Foster possible no-goes on Sunday, a guy like Harris would be nice to have right about now...The only thing I remember hearing is that he wasn't a good fit in the locker room. But from what brief glimpses I saw of him on the field, he looked really solid. Can anyone help shed some light on the subject? Maybe he didn't have anything left like people said; I don't think any other team picked him up (as far as I know...)

Paul Kuharsky said:

"Tommie Harris seemed to play well enough to stick, but the former first-round defensive tackle apparently wanted to be treated like the team’s top defensive linemen and the team didn’t like the attitude."

http://espn.go.com/b...down-analysis-2

Why would ESPN know this? My take is that the Colts released the information so that fans wouldn't jump to the wrong conclusion.

A) With his health issues, my guess is that the Colts wanted Harris on the field mostly in obvious passing situations. He apparently had other ideas.

B) With Freeny and Mathis amongst others on the roster, Harris isn't remotely the teams top defensive lineman. He apparently had other ideas.

C) The Colts don't strike me as the type of team who crowns certain players and treats them like prima donnas. He apparently had other ideas.

Combine that with things I read about him from when he was cut by Chicago, and he sounds like a locker room cancer to me. He was lucky to get a try-out, suddenly he wants special treatment? We don't need knuckleheads like that. Good riddance.

probably had something to do with the fact that in 3 preseason games he made exactly 2 plays. When I first watched the Bengals preseason game live, I thought he was a lock to make the team because the Colts didn't have him playing. Then when I watched it a second time to focus more on the individual players and what they did, I saw that not only did Harris play in the game but he played a lot. He did absolutely nothing except get blown off the LOS and manhandled by a single blocker.

Then on top of that he wanted to be treated like a starter (which is exactly the situation that happened in Chicago... he got mad because Chicago was treating him like a starting DT).

Lastly, why even bring this up? In both games the dline, for the most part, has been playing well.

Based on reports I saw and on what Pat McAfee said on Tuesday on WNDE he was released because the coaches did not like his attitude so pretty much one of those many things we never get to see. From what I can tell it had nothing to do with his play. Remember he was benched by the Bears and let go largely because of a poor attitude as well as injuries.

Did Tommie Harris beat out the other DT's for the starting position? If so, treat him like a starter. I understand it's team first but there is also a thing called "leadership" and "stepping up". Maybe him wanting to be treated like a starter was to show his leadership skills. Now, if he wanted to be treated like a star and had a snobbish attitude, then yeah, give him the boot. But if he wanted recognition and he earned it, give it to him. If we were to sign a good veteran DB and he out performed the guys on the team, give the guy some recognition.

Did Tommie Harris beat out the other DT's for the starting position? If so, treat him like a starter. I understand it's team first but there is also a thing called "leadership" and "stepping up". Maybe him wanting to be treated like a starter was to show his leadership skills. Now, if he wanted to be treated like a star and had a snobbish attitude, then yeah, give him the boot. But if he wanted recognition and he earned it, give it to him. If we were to sign a good veteran DB and he out performed the guys on the team, give the guy some recognition.

i think because we have to many run stoppers, but just a thought.

I am guessing it was the latter I highly doubt the Colts would have cut him if he just wanted to be treated like a starter and provding leadership and was stepping up. In fact I am sure they would have welcomed him with open arms.

I dont see why his attitude should be a issue, i would have welcomed his attiude in the locker room... He was a good player for the colts thats what he was brought in there to do and he did... so far the colts dont seem like they need him but he was a good player.

I dont see why his attitude should be a issue, i would have welcomed his attiude in the locker room... He was a good player for the colts thats what he was brought in there to do and he did... so far the colts dont seem like they need him but he was a good player.

i remember them saying it was like his work ethic and attitude to not being an out right starter dont quote me on that

Not if he's wanting to be treated like a super star and is more interested in him than the team. That's the kinda thing that causes problems in the lockerroom and the kinda player the Colts avoid and tend to end up casuing more problems than they solve.

lmao, I feel he was the only respectable DT we had that could stop the run. But I since some sarcasm here.

I am guessing it was the latter I highly doubt the Colts would have cut him if he just wanted to be treated like a starter and provding leadership and was stepping up. In fact I am sure they would have welcomed him with open arms.

I know, it's just that I hate when the Colts have these "mysterious cuts" and no one knows why the person got until later in the year. I was really looking forward to him playing also. :(

lmao, I feel he was the only respectable DT we had that could stop the run. But I since some sarcasm here.

I know, it's just that I hate when the Colts have these "mysterious cuts" and no one knows why the person got until later in the year. I was really looking forward to him playing also. :(

Well this wasn't much of a mystery the day he was cut there was a story reporting this was the reason. It stinks because he seemed like he was really going to help the D-line out but he's not worth it if he was going to cause issues in the lockerroom that's the last thing we need right now.

Not if he's wanting to be treated like a super star and is more interested in him than the team. That's the kinda thing that causes problems in the lockerroom and the kinda player the Colts avoid and tend to end up casuing more problems than they solve.

I say treat him like a superstar, the guy use to be a force and if he proved to be anything but he would know and the colts themselves would as well and release him. We dont really know what was going on, i think the fact that the colts didnt really feel like they needed him was the reason they let him go, i wouldnt be surprised if a DT got injured they bring him back in.

I say treat him like a superstar, the guy use to be a force and if he proved to be anything but he would know and the colts themselves would as well and release him. We dont really know what was going on, i think the fact that the colts didnt really feel like they needed him was the reason they let him go, i wouldnt be surprised if a DT got injured they bring him back in.

No, real super stars don't ask to be treated like superstars and sure as heck don't expect it in the lockerroom. In fact they are normally the first ones to say no one is bigger than the team. A guy who doesn't say those things tends to be a guy who thinks he is bigger than the team and those are exactly the guys that cause issues in the lockerroom that the Colts have avoided for years. Corey Simon was cut from the same cloth how did that work out for us in the long run?

No, real super stars don't ask to be treated like superstars and sure as heck don't expect it in the lockerroom. In fact they are normally the first ones to say no one is bigger than the team. A guy who doesn't say those things tends to be a guy who thinks he is bigger than the team and those are exactly the guys that cause issues in the lockerroom that the Colts have avoided for years. Corey Simon was cut from the same cloth how did that work out for us in the long run?

Ochocinco, T.O... there are players like that out there. And first off i dont think fans should be going around talking about the guys attitude ppl need to be careful when they say that it wasnt his manners cause i can tell you the guy is respectful BUT what he is is really confident in what he can do, when they said his attitude they were talking about him wanting to start, and if you think there are some players who dont think they deserve that spotlight you dont know WR's lol... corey simon is not tommie harris either not even close, the guy turned down a job by the pats for the colts which shows he believe that he would have gotten a chance to start and he knows and i believe that he is better than moala thats for sure, i guess he was only settling for that starting job thats why he was let go.

Plus i dont think there is any player that believes they are bigger than their team, they may believe they are better than anyone on the team but really, what really good player doesnt think that.

He was a duplicate of two other players we have on the roster that we have considerably more invested in. I liked what he did in the preseason, but no more than Nevis or Moala, two significant recent draft picks. If I had to choose based on on-field production only, I'd have chosen Harris over Foster, but if it came down to intangibles like attitude and locker room chemistry, then I understand why he was cut. And, as mentioned, he wouldn't have made that big of a difference. The defensive line has played well so far this season, despite all the nonsense being spewed around. I think the line play has been the best unit of the defense so far.

Why? He has not been a superstar for years. The guy has not proved anything over the past few years because of his injuries. Now if he was dominate like Suh then you would have an argument, but the guy has not played up to his talent in years.

At least with guy like TO he produces year in and year out no matter his circumstances. I much rather deal with a guy like TO who knows he still has it and produces then deal with a guy who thinks he is a top tier DT, but cannot produce at that level.

Why? He has not been a superstar for years. The guy has not proved anything over the past few years because of his injuries. Now if he was dominate like Suh then you would have an argument, but the guy has not played up to his talent in years.

At least with guy like TO he produces year in and year out no matter his circumstances. I much rather deal with a guy like TO who knows he still has it and produces then deal with a guy who thinks he is a top tier DT, but cannot produce at that level.

Rather deal with TO? the guy is a disease in a locker room, either he's gonna produce or he's gonna poo in your locker room... It doesnt matter about Tommie's past injuries during this offseason he got a chance to really get better and he did that, he produced when he was on the field for the colts and with the limited time he saw he got a sack didnt he... the reason the guy was let go is cause they didnt have any need for him, i assure you if the colts were short on DT's despite his "attitude" he would have made this team.

Rather deal with TO? the guy is a disease in a locker room, either he's gonna produce or he's gonna poo in your locker room... It doesnt matter about Tommie's past injuries during this offseason he got a chance to really get better and he did that, he produced when he was on the field for the colts and with the limited time he saw he got a sack didnt he... the reason the guy was let go is cause they didnt have any need for him, i assure you if the colts were short on DT's despite his "attitude" he would have made this team.

He may be a disease, but at least he produces on the field. that is the difference between him and Harris. Harris has an attitude and hasn't produced on the field for years. Give me the guy that may be a pain in the neck and produces over the guy who is a pain in the neck and doesn't produce.

The Colts must have felt his play in practice and preseason did not warrant his attitude. The fact that Colts, who have been terrible at DT for years, let him go that tells you everything you need to know about the guy. The fact nobody has picked him up tells you something too.

I am also a life-long Bear fan and I can tell Harris had head issues in that one game he the man and the next game he was the statue. He just never got in the groove to stay there. I think the Colts knew that going in but thought it might be different under a different coach but expected very little.

He may be a disease, but at least he produces on the field. that is the difference between him and Harris. Harris has an attitude and hasn't produced on the field for years. Give me the guy that may be a pain in the neck and produces over the guy who is a pain in the neck and doesn't produce.

The Colts must have felt his play in practice and preseason did not warrant his attitude. The fact that Colts, who have been terrible at DT for years, let him go that tells you everything you need to know about the guy. The fact nobody has picked him up tells you something too.

The last season TO played did he produce? Harris does not have an attitude, what he has is a mentality that he should be the starter and rightly so, based on the guys stats in the preseason over Moala or johnson although i like johnson he should be the starter... the colts didnt see it that way so they let him go, im sure if he would have accepted anything other than that he would be on the team... its not because of the guys attitude he was let go because if it was his attitude tyler brayton would not be on this team. Harris wants to be a STARTER which is why i guess no team is interested in him because thats all he wants to be.

Harris has had a supposed history of attitude issues.

So why didn't Polian or one of our coaches (Nevermind, we know the coaches don't do their jobs...) Why didn't Polian tell him to leave his attitude at home or he wouldn't make it here? Maybe he would have taken it to heart and listened.

How do we know that no one had that conversation with him?

How do we know that no one had that conversation with him?

Yeah, it just makes perfect sense that someone told him what not to do to get and keep his job, and he turned around and did it anyways, knowing this very well could be his last chance...

He must also smash rocks together in his free time, I'm sure.

Yeah, it just makes perfect sense that someone told him what not to do to get and keep his job, and he turned around and did it anyways, knowing this very well could be his last chance...

He must also smash rocks together in his free time, I'm sure.

He's had attitude issues with other coaches as well. He's a grown man who makes his own decisions. If it were as simple as having a coach or a GM tell a player that he needs to correct his attitude, I'm pretty sure there would be no players with attitude issues in all of professional sports. It's not that simple.

Unless, of course, it's seen as an avenue to undermine the Colts front office. Then it's an open and shut case. We bring in a player, he is reportedly cut because of his attitude, and the problem is that our front office failed to put him on notice. If all else fails, blame the Colts front office and coaching staff. Very simple formula. I keep forgetting.