Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Kraft: "I don't answer to Tom Brady,"

Fx Stryker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean he's absolutely right. But wow.. If the reports were true that Brady specifically restructured his contract for this purpose and was strung along he has every right to be mad. Overvalued? He was their best most consistent receiver for years.

I love our Colts. Just remembering that interview with Reggie where he talks about the time Chuck calls him and says hey man, we really need you.

Edited by 21isSuperman

He doesn't. He's the owner and can say/do what he wants"

Yup, signing all those checks means that Kraft calls all the shots even Bill Belichick knows that. Although, if Bill said "Robert can we keep him at this number?" Robert wouldn't exactly argue with the Grey Hoodie either IMO. 

Now this is the thing the media has been waiting to talk about...they'll play with this and talk about "dissention" for the next four months... haha

My, my, my, how I do love revenge games...The Broncos vs Patriots game will be Welker's best regular season performance of the year. I will book that statement right here, right now. 1,000 Welker reasons why dumping me was a colossal mistake Robert Kraft & Bill Belichick. Watch this...

Welker has more to prove than the Pats do. Namely, that Wes can flourish outside of the Foxboro system. Can Wes succeed outside of the Belichick brain trust? I think he can easily. 

My, my, my, how I do love revenge games...The Broncos vs Patriots game will be Welker's best regular season performance of the year. I will book that statement right here, right now. 1,000 Welker reasons why dumping me was a colossal mistake Robert Kraft & Bill Belichick. Watch this...

So what does that mean for PM when the Broncos face the Colts at Lucas Oil next year? Hmmm. haha Jk man, you may be on to something. Though Welker really fudged things over a "mere" 2 million dollar difference if I'm not mistaken. He must believe that the Broncos are a better contender right now, but I'm not going to claim to know his thought process...

This is what is called PR control. Kraft is making sure everyone knows that they offered a fair market deal that Wes turned down. I think most fans can't accept the fact that Wes didn't want to come back. I mean isn't that obvious? He signed for 2mil more. That's it. Lost in all this is the fact that the Pats got Talib on a one year 5mil deal which was the more important signing IMO. Now they can hopefully get a solid year out of him and then look to sign him long term. I truly believe that if Brady said anything in the meeting about his contract to Kraft, it was improve our secondary.

This is what is called PR control. Kraft is making sure everyone knows that they offered a fair market deal that Wes turned down. I think most fans can't accept the fact that Wes didn't want to come back. I mean isn't that obvious? He signed for 2mil more. That's it. Lost in all this is the fact that the Pats got Talib on a one year 5mil deal which was the more important signing IMO. Now they can hopefully get a solid year out of him and then look to sign him long term. I truly believe that if Brady said anything in the meeting about his contract to Kraft, it was improve our secondary.

No, my friend. What fans will remember is that NE was too cheap to pay Welker $2 million dollars more. Players in the locker rooms notice which proven veterans this front office takes care of & which ones they don't. Yes, Talib is important, but so was Welker. He deserved too retire in NE & everybody knows it. 

No, my friend. What fans will remember is that NE was too cheap to pay Welker $2 million dollars more. Players in the locker rooms notice which proven veterans this front office takes care of & which ones they don't. Yes, Talib is important, but so was Welker. He deserved too retire in NE & everybody knows it. 

I truly expected Welker to retire as a Patriot but if they really wanted to keep him it wouldn't have come to this. I know it's a business but it's always hard to see the good ones get away, especially to a rival.

So what does that mean for PM when the Broncos face the Colts at Lucas Oil next year? Hmmm. haha Jk man, you may be on to something. Though Welker really fudged things over a "mere" 2 million dollar difference if I'm not mistaken. He must believe that the Broncos are a better contender right now, but I'm not going to claim to know his thought process...

I don't think #18 is too upset at Irsay per say. After all, Jim paid Peyton's full salary when he was sidelined for an entire year. Besides, Peyton is comfortable now in his new city, new franchise, & new team mates. But, I do agree QuizBoy, you always want to show your old fan base, stomping grounds that you haven't regressed in any way, shape, or form. Always leave your former boss with doubts...Did I make the right decision? Hmmm...Always leave them 2nd guessing & wanting more...

That's another reason I love the NFL. The mental, mind games. Always prove your worth, always attack, & always make them regret letting you go...Just because you can do something, it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I truly expected Welker to retire as a Patriot but if they really wanted to keep him it wouldn't have come to this. I know it's a business but it's always hard to see the good ones get away, especially to a rival.

FE you can take some solace in the fact that Welker will finish his career on a strong note with a Playoff bound club & SB contender. I am confident that Wes will retire as a Patriot. However, if he wins a ring in Denver that makes for a fascinating dilemma once you name becomes eligible for HOF consideration. Look, if Dwight Freeney lands in NE, I might be temporarily shocked, perhaps even disappointed, but once I think about it it I would be happy for Freeney because NE is a top tier NFL franchise that can put Freeney on the path to Lombardi Greatness once again. That's why I feel so sorry for RB Steven Jackson. He's never gonna win Championship hardware in Atlanta. Not even close.

When I respect a guy, I want him on a SB contender plain & simple. Wes Welker deserves that, Dwight Freeney deserves that, & Steven Jackson deserves that...

I don't think #18 is too upset at Irsay per say. After all, Jim paid Peyton's full salary when he was sidelined for an entire year. Besides, Peyton is comfortable now in his new city, new franchise, & new team mates. But, I do agree QuizBoy, you always want to show your old fan base, stomping grounds that you haven't regressed in any way, shape, or form. Always leave your former boss with doubts...Did I make the right decision? Hmmm...Always leave them 2nd guessing & wanting more...

That's another reason I love the NFL. The mental, mind games. Always prove your worth, always attack, & always make them regret letting you go...Just because you can do something, it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Yep, what was it PM told Polian? If you don't pick me I'm going to kick your * the next 20 years...now that he's somewhere else it'll be interesting to see if he holds up on this promise, albeit due to different circumstances.

FE you can take some solace in the fact that Welker will finish his career on a strong note with a Playoff bound club & SB contender. I am confident that Wes will retire as a Patriot. However, if he wins a ring in Denver that makes for a fascinating dilemma once you name becomes eligible for HOF consideration. Look, if Dwight Freeney lands in NE, I might be temporarily shocked, perhaps even disappointed, but once I think about it it I would be happy for Freeney because NE is a top tier NFL franchise that can put Freeney on the path to Lombardi Greatness once again. That's why I feel so sorry for RB Steven Jackson. He's never gonna win Championship hardware in Atlanta. Not even close.

When I respect a guy, I want him on a SB contender plain & simple. Wes Welker deserves that, Dwight Freeney deserves that, & Steven Jackson deserves that...

I think Jackson is putting himself in great position to win a championship. The only real challengers I see to Atlanta would be San Fran or maybe Green Bay, but at this point, that's about it.

Welker has more to prove than the Pats do. Namely, that Wes can flourish outside of the Foxboro system. Can Wes succeed outside of the Belichick brain trust? I think he can easily. 

Especially who his QB is Brother!Might see a bigger monster than he was in NE

I think Jackson is putting himself in great position to win a championship. The only real challengers I see to Atlanta would be San Fran or maybe Green Bay, but at this point, that's about it.

I don't doubt that Steven Jackson is a great addition to that squad. He truly is. I just have serious reservations about Atlanta's toughness, especially defensively. Add the Saints to that NFC list. Rob Ryan is going kick caboose on that defense & Sean Payton is hungry man. Defense wins championships baby! "Everybody's got a plan until you get punched in the mouth." Heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. Mike Nolan is darn good, but San Fran & Rob Ryan are coming for a QB's head...Even the crowd in Atlanta was convinced they would lose to Seattle in the playoffs...No confidence in that city, that stadium, or that team IMO except for their HOF TE. 

Getting to the big dance & winning it are 2 entirely different things...

I don't doubt that Steven Jackson is a great addition to that squad. He truly is. I just have serious reservations about Atlanta's toughness, especially defensively. Add the Saints to that NFC list. Rob Ryan is going kick caboose on that defense & Sean Payton is hungry man. Defense wins championships baby! "Everybody's got a plan until you get punched in the mouth." Heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. Mike Nolan is darn good, but San Fran & Rob Ryan are coming for a QB's head...Even the crowd in Atlanta was convinced they would lose to Seattle in the playoffs...No confidence in that city, that stadium, or that team IMO except for their HOF TE.

Getting to the big dance & winning it are 2 entirely different things...

Eh I'll believe it when I see it with the Saints lol. I still think Atlanta has one of if not the best offense in the league and it just got even better playcalling wise with the ram Steven Jackson in the line-up. Gonzalez will be back as well. The NFC will, of course, be very fun to keep up with this year.

Especially who his QB is Brother!Might see a bigger monster than he was in NE

Good point Jay! Wes Welker still has great hands, speed, sharp football I.Q., & he so small that defenders have a hard time finding him, let alone stopping him. Especially, if Manning experiences fatigue, Welker can run comeback routes, move the chains, & pick up 1st downs. Brady perfected this tactic to an artform. Why not Manning right? I just really appreciate Wes's intelligence when it comes to situational football. His greatest asset.  

Eh I'll believe it when I see it with the Saints lol. I still think Atlanta has one of if not the best offense in the league and it just got even better playcalling wise with the ram Steven Jackson in the line-up. Gonzalez will be back as well. The NFC will, of course, be very fun to keep up with this year.

Steven Jackson gets injured more & more frequently now. His body is beginning to breakdown & age is catching up with him. A great back, but father time eludes no NFL athlete. The cloud of bounty gate is gone now & I have always liked Rob Ryan's multiple front schemes. Confusion= controlled chaos. It depends on how quickly his players digest his new playbook. Drew Brees is heathy & if their secondary can generate turnovers & give Drew Brees the ball back frequently. New Orleans is deadly. 

Yes, Gonzales is back & that is good news for Atlanta fans. But, toughness, mental toughness, doesn't just fall out of the sky. Look, if I'm wrong about Atlanta, I will eat crow. I promise you. I can admit when I really mess up a prediction. Seattle showed me toughness & resiliency. Atlanta just got lucky. 

Steven Jackson gets injured more & more frequently now. His body is beginning to breakdown & age is catching up with him. A great back, but father time eludes no NFL athlete. The cloud of bounty gate is gone now & I have always liked Rob Ryan's multiple front schemes. Confusion= controlled chaos. It depends on how quickly his players digest his new playbook. Drew Brees is heathy & if their secondary can generate turnovers & give Drew Brees the ball back frequently. New Orleans is deadly. 

Yes, Gonzales is back & that is good news for Atlanta fans. But, toughness, mental toughness, doesn't just fall out of the sky. Look, if I'm wrong about Atlanta, I will eat crow. I promise you. I can admit when I really mess up a prediction. Seattle showed me toughness & resiliency. Atlanta just got lucky. 

I'm not sure about Jackson's injury history but the guy is still going strong at his age, which is great for a RB in the NFL. You are right, father time eludes no one, but as we see with Favre/Brady, sometimes age is nothing but a number. I don't think the whole bountygate thing will fade for at least a few more years and I also don't think Rob Ryan is as good as some make him out to be but then again, the Saints are at least taking the right steps to fix that defense. They were horrible this year. As far as Atlanta goes...they went 13-3. I think that they are very talented and have a Manning-like QB. There was no luck at all as far as that's concerned. Ryan also got the monkey off his back and won a playoff game, so who knows what he'll accomplish in the postseason this upcoming season. I can definitely see the Falcons making the big game at least once in the next four years. Steven Jackson could be an integral part of that as well.

I'm not sure about Jackson's injury history but the guy is still going strong at his age, which is great for a RB in the NFL. You are right, father time eludes no one, but as we see with Favre/Brady, sometimes age is nothing but a number. I don't think the whole bountygate thing will fade for at least a few more years and I also don't think Rob Ryan is as good as some make him out to be but then again, the Saints are at least taking the right steps to fix that defense. They were horrible this year. As far as Atlanta goes...they went 13-3. I think that they are very talented and have a Manning-like QB. There was no luck at all as far as that's concerned. Ryan also got the monkey off his back and won a playoff game, so who knows what he'll accomplish in the postseason this upcoming season. I can definitely see the Falcons making the big game at least once in the next four years. Steven Jackson could be an integral part of that as well.

Yes, it is possible for Jackson to fly out the the Preseason gates & play like gang busters this year. 13-3 was a very impressive season, but every season takes on a new life of it's own. Post season performance is all that really matters. To be fair, both Luck & Manning got eliminated in the 1st round of the Playoffs. So, there are many teams that need to improve in the post season I will admit. Perhaps, I am putting too much faith in Rob Ryan. I just like how he turned around teams in Cleveland & Dallas on the defensive side of the ball. He's aggressive, blunt, rebellious, & loves to think outside the convention box just like me. I like guys that buck the system & rock the boat myself. They make no apologies for who they are & how they behave. This is who they are. What you see is what you get. Take it or leave it. An acquired taste I guess. 

Yes, Matt Ryan lucky or not won his 1st Playoff game & he does deserve credit for that. Good. Show me that you deserve to be called elite Matt. Stats mean nothing to me. Win 2 Playoff games now. 

Yes, it is possible for Jackson to fly out the the Preseason gates & play like gang busters this year. 13-3 was a very impressive season, but every season takes on a new life of it's own. Post season performance is all that really matters. To be fair, both Luck & Manning got eliminated in the 1st round of the Playoffs. So, there are many teams that need to improve in the post season I will admit. Perhaps, I am putting too much faith in Rob Ryan. I just like how he turned around teams in Cleveland & Dallas on the defensive side of the ball. He's aggressive, blunt, rebellious, & loves to think outside the convention box just like me. I like guys that buck the system & rock the boat myself. They make no apologies for who they are & how they behave. This is who they are. What you see is what you get. Take it or leave it. An acquired taste I guess. 

Yes, Matt Ryan lucky or not won his 1st Playoff game & he does deserve credit for that. Good. Show me that you deserve to be called elite Matt. Stats mean nothing to me. Win 2 Playoff games now. 

Yep. Very f. I still think Ryan is a better QB than Flacco despite the playoff difference but I will still be watching closely this year to see how each one responds to adversity as the season goes on. I don't know if I would call Ryan elite yet but if he gets a ting and continues to play at a high level then I won't hesitate to.

Again, I ask how many players retire with their first team? Very few and most don't because they want more money elsewhere. What you failt to recognize is that the Pats franchised Welker at 9.5 mil last year which was 3.5 mil more than his market value. So in reality their 2 year contract was above the Broncs when you factor that in. As I have said before, it was clear that Welker wanted to go. To leave over 2 mil tells you that. Remember too that the Pats had incentives where he could have earned up to $16mil so in the end it was his choice. The Pats nailed the market for him plain and simple. It was a fair offer and only the Broncs came to the table with basically a similar offer. I highly doubt anyone in the Pats locker room was effected just as I don't think anyone in the locker room was really effected by Brady's deal either. Every player knows it is up to them to maximize their value when they can. Just as they know every signle org with half a brain pays for future performance not past and knows when to cut a guy when his best years are behind him. 

In terms of Talib. He is in his prime. His best years are still ahead of him. To get him on a one year 5 mil deal was brilliant. A win/win as if he plays well than the Pats as a team benefit and then he can command a multi deal next year when there will be more money in FA. Right now the secondary is the main area of concern not WR. I mean they have Amendola, Endelman and Hernandez to replace Welkers receptions. I'll take that any day.

Kraft spoke out on the Welker situation as a means of PR/damage control. AM is spot on with this.

Mike Reiss, formerly of the Globe and now with ESPN Boston, tweeted that since he's covered the team going back to 1997, neither Kraft nor anyone in the organization has spoken about any contracts with this level of detail.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/313729995711344640

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Been covering Patriots since 1997 and have never heard team provide so much detail on contract situation.

I think Kraft wants Patriots fans who may be angry with the team to know that from his perspective, what they offered him was fair, and that the perception that it was "only" a $2M difference wasn't entirely accurate.

Reiss knows his stuff and is rarely off-base with his reporting and observations. I don't think it's any coincidence that Bob Kraft was willing to discuss in pretty granular detail a contract he offered to a player who is currently not on his team.

Just my two cents.

And the "I don't answer to Tom Brady" line was probably much more spontaneous and not premeditated.

I would seriously hope that Welker can succeed in Denver's system... He has Peyton Manning throwing him the ball and they have 2 outstanding WRs on the outside in Thomas and Decker. If Welker can't find success in that system, I would be totally shocked.