Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The term world champions?

Kirie89

Where does the term world champions come from when we talk about the NFL?

I always think it is funny to hear people around the NFL call the Super Bowl champions for world champions, when all the teams and probably more than 99 percent of the players are from the US.

I have no doubt that the best team in the NFL is the best in the world, since it is a game as far as I know (I’m not sure of this) that is only played on a professional level in the US and Canada. But it is kind of silly to call themselves world champions when they haven’t even played anybody from another country, not even the best team from the CFL (a game they of course would have won).

I don’t mean to offend anybody, but I come from a small country where all the best athletes compete internationally, and most of the national championships are not regarded that high. So I was just curious when and why they started using the term world champions.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one else plays it, so therefore we are the best in the world. USA. USA. USA

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=irish%20american%20football&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americanfootball.ie%2F&ei=8ydHUbjgFeSQ7Ab0-ICoAw&usg=AFQjCNGWS6-rJFIioCAMEUH_1_MeQmvAFg&bvm=bv.43828540,d.ZG4

WRONG.... in saying that even the nfls worst team would hammer any team in the Irish league but ye aint the only ones who play it 

it's an american thing.. so called superiority complex..

although you could make a case (cause it's 99% sure thing) the best nfl team would beat any other team in the world, since they DO NOT play any team outside of US&A and they say anything is possible in sports i really don't like the "world champions" term..

where it bothers me even more is "world series" in mlb, where probably half of players come outside of the states (Central America and Japan come to mind)..

it's also interesting that a starter of this topic is not an american :)

only ones who play it well. 

although you could make a case (cause it's 99% sure thing) the best nfl team would beat any other team in the world, since they DO NOT play any team outside of US&A and they say anything is possible in sports i really don't like the "world champions" term..

where it bothers me even more is "world series" in mlb, where probably half of players come outside of the states (Central America and Japan come to mind)..

Oh god, I knew superiority complex remark was coming. Fans don't say world champions...they just call them Super Bowl champions. World champions is used on tv because I assume they think it sounds more prestigious.....that and it looks good on t-shirts.

I have been told that referring to ourselves as americans is also a sign of our superiority complex...yet everybody refers to us as americans, just as you did.

You do have a point when it comes to the World Series...not sure how or why they came up with that. Maybe they had grand plans to take the game international at the time and the name just stuck.

SB champions, NBA champions, Major League champions, call it what it is. Like CroatianColtsFan said, if it is not a world tournament, dont use the term world champion.

To me, it sounds distorted and a bit cheesy to say "World Champions". The true world champion term can be used when Team USA wins the World Basketball tournament or the Olympic Gold medal, it is more apt there.

Even in baseball, if the best professional players in the US went against the best in Japan or the best from Puerto Rico, it would not be one sided whatsoever, and the results may surprise you.

Even if it is just two handfuls of countries participating, if it is a world tournament, then the term world champions apply. For example, cricket is a sport played by the English, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, West Indies (Carribean) and a good chunk of Asia in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. So, when you have good competitive local leagues in Australia, England, and India that have people from different countries playing in them, and then have a world tournament (much like World Basketball that can have about 12-16 teams playing), the term World Champion can definitely be used.

The worst team in the NFL would hammer any team in the Irish league. I guess you're point is that other countries do play?

where it bothers me even more is "world series" in mlb, where probably half of players come outside of the states (Central America and Japan come to mind)..

*Inferiority complex

SB champions, NBA champions, Major League champions, call it what it is. Like CroatianColtsFan said, if it is not a world tournament, dont use the term world champion.

To me, it sounds distorted and a bit cheesy to say "World Champions". The true world champion term can be used when Team USA wins the World Basketball tournament or the Olympic Gold medal, it is more apt there.

Even in baseball, if the best professional players in the US went against the best in Japan or the best from Puerto Rico, it would not be one sided whatsoever, and the results may surprise you.

Even if it is just two handfuls of countries participating, if it is a world tournament, then the term world champions apply. For example, cricket is a sport played by the English, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, West Indies (Carribean) and a good chunk of Asia in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. So, when you have good competitive local leagues in Australia, England, and India that have people from different countries playing in them, and then have a world tournament (much like World Basketball that can have about 12-16 teams playing), the term World Champion can definitely be used.

Super Bowl Champions is the preferred title. Does anyone really use world champions when referring to the nfl....besides the marketing guys at the nfl/networks?

Super Bowl Champions is the preferred title. Does anyone really use world champions when referring to the nfl....besides the marketing guys at the nfl/networks?

I don’t know how widely it is used, but I have heard it a lot from players, coaches, commentators and alike after a Super Bowl win.

An American thing .. So called superiority complex ??

An American thing yes . I agree   As a Californian growing up in L.A  I'm very aware of people who consider there selves special in our opinion California is by far the best state in the U.S , We have the mountains desert ocean its a special place people from everywhere want to visit & live there . And I'm sure these feeling's of superiority are shared by people around the world , The problem is Americans & self promotion go hand in hand . And we force feed it to the world .

As lil kids we grow up very competitive . Some one coined the phrase "World Champion or Champions "  Long ago for a variety of sports by people who's world was American sports . Harmlessly, I would say, by newspapers & sports writers - NBC - CBS - ABC  , It creates a buzz its a catch phrase that only makes Americans seem Cocky & full of themselves . Which I plead guilty , The truth is everyone every where feels the same way no matter what part of the globe you reside , We are all homers .

I had an apprentice bricklayer from Lithuainia working with me several years ago & he pointed out to me the rest of the world does not see us Americans in a very favorable light , Our actions around the world by our government & the phrases like " World Champion's " Feed a not so favorable impression of Americans .This is something very few have control over .

IMO the ability to converse & exchange views around the world with other sports fans will act as a bridge to bring all sports fans togeather to find common ground .

The Olympics IMO are the World Championships  all others are just pretenders to the crown . The phrase is all about the Money IMO more than it is individual countries .

Really why so ?  IMO if you have'nt spoken with folks outside the U.S you would'nt realize that it matters to those folks & I'm glad the man had the stones to bring it up . It is a valid point . We should always welcome debate not squash it . We here don't realize that words do harm ? On the contrary we here at  a message board  do realize that words misspoken or carelessly written can do harm . " World Champion "   in that context creates the impression of Superiority . Kinda like in elementary school " My dad can whip your dad "  Silly stuff that leads to conflict instead of understanding .

Oh god, I knew superiority complex remark was coming. Fans don't say world champions...they just call them Super Bowl champions. World champions is used on tv because I assume they think it sounds more prestigious.....that and it looks good on t-shirts.

I have been told that referring to ourselves as americans is also a sign of our superiority complex...yet everybody refers to us as americans, just as you did.

You do have a point when it comes to the World Series...not sure how or why they came up with that. Maybe they had grand plans to take the game international at the time and the name just stuck.

Yep. And with the WS, there are many more foreign players in the MLB than the NFL.

where it bothers me even more is "world series" in mlb, where probably half of players come outside of the states (Central America and Japan come to mind)..

Wouldn't that make it better? Because it's not all Americans?

As for the superiority bit, people who insist on bringing that up every time the US is mentioned often have an inferiority complex.

Wouldn't that make it better? Because it's not all Americans?

As for the superiority bit, people who insist on bringing that up every time the US is mentioned often have an inferiority complex.

To be fair like in the U.S . People are bombarded from every direction with opinions laced with facts in the news - News channels & the printed word are manipulated to convey propaganda & nationalism around the world , miss information & promotion of 1 group over another is a everyday occurance . If your view of the world is limited to local news or national news then your understanding will be biased the best way to combat ignorance is to seek out the truth the best that you can . In a world where lies & miss information are spread at will it is best to keep a open mind & to learn from each other . Superiority was the downfall of a midget in the 2'nd world war & Will be for any following such logic IMO . The World is full of Champions no country has the market cornered .

Well because the NFL is by far the best football league in the world, so it's champion is also the world champion. The NFL teams never face an AFL team, but we dont have to beat them to know we're better than them in that sport.

It might be different for other sports, but for football, the NFL is king.

While U.S. athletes might want to win some international event like the Basketball Olympics, we really dont care that much. For us, participating in that type of tourney is similar to the conference championships in college basketball.

Well because the NFL is by far the best football league in the world, so it's champion is also the world champion. The NFL teams never face an AFL team, but we dont have to beat them to know we're better than them in that sport.

While U.S. athletes might want to win some international event like the Basketball Olympics, we really dont care that much. For us, participating in that type of tourney is similar to the conference championships in college basketball.

Well i agree with that if a team win the SuperBowl, that team is the World Champion. BUT...i don't think that any european or asian team will ever have the chance to play in the NFL therefore they can't win SuperBowl = Can never become the world champions:) So no offense guys but this whole "World Champion" thing is comming from the "There are no other countries outside the US". I've spent nearly a year in the US and i've met some people who were really mean because they've realized i am from europe:)

Go Colts!

Actually I liked watching the World Basketball Championship . Kevin Durant was a beast . & the U.S did Win so this championship is a valid World Champion just like in the Olympics with competition from around the world . The superior team won . No complex or denying . A world stage if you missed it was just awesome .

Actually the NFL is only 1 league in a world with many football leagues - A poor choice of words IMO .  The Mongolian football league is just 1 in a world of football leagues . After all football in most countries is Soccer ..

Our National Football League is King .   Key Word being football ?  Compared to viewer ship & attendance with other leagues to be honest I doubt it .

Regardless, there are American Football World Championships every four years, and the U.S. was actually barred from them at first. Since then, they've won both times they've been involved, even under restricted rules that only allow US players to be one year removed from colllege and having to represent the gamut of college experience (FBS, FCS, DII, DIII, NAIA). The first time they played into overtime in the championship. The last time they wound up beating Canada by like 43 points. Only Richie Brockel is still in the league.

A

Really why so ?  IMO if you have'nt spoken with folks outside the U.S you would'nt realize that it matters to those folks & I'm glad the man had the stones to bring it up . It is a valid point . We should always welcome debate not squash it . We here don't realize that words do harm ? On the contrary we here at  a message board  do realize that words misspoken or carelessly written can do harm . " World Champion "   in that context creates the impression of Superiority . Kinda like in elementary school " My dad can whip your dad "  Silly stuff that leads to conflict instead of understanding .

This argument might have had more impact if it wasn't in response to a Croatian. :haha: I suspect that he's "spoken with folks outside the US".

Actually I liked watching the World Basketball Championship . Kevin Durant was a beast . & the U.S did Win so this championship is a valid World Champion just like in the Olympics with competition from around the world . The superior team won . No complex or denying . A world stage if you missed it was just awesome .

Actually the NFL is only 1 league in a world with many football leagues - A poor choice of words IMO .  The Mongolian football league is just 1 in a world of football leagues . After all football in most countries is Soccer ..

Our National Football League is King .   Key Word being football ?  Compared to viewer ship & attendance with other leagues to be honest I doubt it .

The Basketball Olympics was not the main event for us Americans. Would Durant rather win the Olypmic gold or the NBA title? What about Lebron? Both cared more about the NBA finals that year then the Olympics. Us, American fans, did as well. Would we have felt embarrassed if we didnt win the gold? Absolutely. We're supposed to win that event even if we're playing a playground-type of style of basketball.  While other countries might view the Olympics and the international equivalent as an enormous event, Americans do not, at least for certain sports, specifically the big three (baseball, basketball, and football).

And when I say football, like almost every other American, I mean American football (especially when I'm saying it in the U.S. lol).  While there are other "American" football leagues, the NFL is by far and away the best one.  Players that can't play in the NFL go to the CFL, AFL, etc. to earn their living.  The SuperBowl captures 1/3 of the country every year, no other "american" football league does that.

The Basketball Olympics was not the main event for us Americans. Would Durant rather win the Olypmic gold or the NBA title? What about Lebron? Both cared more about the NBA finals that year then the Olympics. Us, American fans, did as well. Who we have felt embarrassed if we didnt win the gold? Absolutely. We're supposed to win that event even if we're playong a playground-type of

I saw an interview with Coach K in which he stated winning Olympic gold was extremely important to LeBron. Reportedly LB's demeanor throughout the London games was intense.

I saw an interview with Coach K in which he stated winning Olympic gold was extremely important to LeBron. Reportedly LB's demeanor throughout the London games was intense.

I didn't say it was important to James, but if he had to pick one over the other, he would choose the NBA title every time.  If he had remained the "ringless King", his legacy would have been strongly diminished.  You don't get to be a great athlete by accepting anything other than victory.  All the NBA players representing the USA should have been and most likely were of the the mindset that they needed to win the gold.  However, all those players would trade in the gold for an NBA ring.

Also excelling in the Olympics is good for your marketability and it helps with comparisons to other greats (Jordan won the gold with the Dream Team, shouldn't Kobe and Lebron be able to do that too if they're so amazing? extra motivation to do well in the Olympics).

Well i agree with that if a team win the SuperBowl, that team is the World Champion. BUT...i don't think that any european or asian team will ever have the chance to play in the NFL therefore they can't win SuperBowl = Can never become the world champions:) So no offense guys but this whole "World Champion" thing is comming from the "There are no other countries outside the US". I've spent nearly a year in the US and i've met some people who were really mean because they've realized i am from europe:)

Go Colts!

I don't think the "World Champion" thing is coming from "there are not other countries outside the US" like you say.  You admitted that if a team wins the SB, that team is the World Champion. That's my point and the point of many other posters.  As it stands now, for football, the NFL champion is also the World Champion.  Not for every sport/event.  But for football, I don't know how anyone could argue that isn't true. 

And how other people have treated you b/c of where you are from has nothing to do with this conversation.  In the US, we have a term, actually a lot of terms, for those type of people that treat you in that manner (terms that I know I couldn't post here) lol :)

I'd imagine too that not everyone in other countries always treat Americans nicely either.

If you take offense to world champions, you better have a team or league that offers proof to the contrary lol.

It would be crazy for me to say "How can you be world champs when you didn't even play against me and my buddies who play two hand touch?"

lmao