Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The term world champions?

Kirie89

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Bowl Champions is the preferred title. Does anyone really use world champions when referring to the nfl....besides the marketing guys at the nfl/networks?

Yes. The players themselves. "We are the world champions"

why do so many refer to the united states as america. america consists of two continents with a whole lot of countries

meh... whatever

I've never heard of anyone refer to the entire region as "America", more typically it's "The Americas". 

"America" is as valid a shorthand for "United States of America" as is the phrase "United States" that you used. Just different ends of the same name. I've never taken our use of it as our arrogantly dismissing the rest of the hemisphere, it's just a label.

There are other "united" entities in the world. When you say "United States", are you concerned that people won't know which United States you are referring to, or that they might be insulted by your assumption that they should know what you meant? :P

The Basketball Olympics was not the main event for us Americans. Would Durant rather win the Olypmic gold or the NBA title? What about Lebron? Both cared more about the NBA finals that year then the Olympics. Us, American fans, did as well. Would we have felt embarrassed if we didnt win the gold? Absolutely. We're supposed to win that event even if we're playing a playground-type of style of basketball.  While other countries might view the Olympics and the international equivalent as an enormous event, Americans do not, at least for certain sports, specifically the big three (baseball, basketball, and football).

You miss the point the OP is World Champions   so for the point of this debate the NBA is irrelevant . Whether Olympic Gold or World Basketball Championship  Gold . Countries playing countries with Fiba rules on a level playing field makes the Americans a World Champion .

Regardless of its meaning to some it not being a NBA title , Winning the NBA Championship means just that & Only that to be World Champions you gotta play the world . I had'nt realized football was a Olympic sport or are you referring to Soccer ??

Where does the term world champions come from when we talk about the NFL?

I always think it is funny to hear people around the NFL call the Super Bowl champions for world champions, when all the teams and probably more than 99 percent of the players are from the US.

I have no doubt that the best team in the NFL is the best in the world, since it is a game as far as I know (I’m not sure of this) that is only played on a professional level in the US and Canada. But it is kind of silly to call themselves world champions when they haven’t even played anybody from another country, not even the best team from the CFL (a game they of course would have won).

I don’t mean to offend anybody, but I come from a small country where all the best athletes compete internationally, and most of the national championships are not regarded that high. So I was just curious when and why they started using the term world champions.

As others have suggested, it's just a phrase meaning that by winning the Super Bowl (or the World Series, or the NBA championship) you've reached the pinnacle of the sport - which in the case of football, baseball, and basketball, is the incontrovertible reality. It's also meaningless hyperbole that's rarely used.

While silly (particularly in football - considering the lack of international leagues) I don't think that it's entirely inaccurate. Let me know if anyone starts calling the winner of Major League Soccer the "world champion", and I'll go smack them myself. THAT would be ignorant and arrogant. But as long as the best foreign players in those three sports still consider it their ultimate professional goal to play in the US, then the term has some merit. I'm sure there's a world champion cricket team somewhere. Probably for darts and billards as well  (activities that in the US are only undertaken when very bored or very drunk - or both). The fact that those designations (and others) are considered so without the participation of a blessed soul in the US doesn't bother me in the slightest. I happily consider F1 the pinnacle of motor sports and revere the "World Champion" - but few drivers from the US have ever even attempted to participate. Who cares, it's just a label. 

It is open to people throughout the world......

??  WBC  = People from all nations

People yes they also must represent all nations that wish to compete to be a world champion , If your only competing amongst yourself then its like going to a family reunion to pick up a date . The results would be nothing to brag IMO ..

?? WBC = People from all nations

People yes they also must represent all nations that wish to compete to be a world champion , If your only competing amongst yourself then its like going to a family reunion to pick up a date . The results would be nothing to brag IMO ..

Any people of these countries CAN compete in the NFL, they just choose not to heavily, if at all.

And that also means they have no league of their own to compete with the NFL for world superiority. But they could if they wanted to.

Wouldn't that make it better? Because it's not all Americans?

As for the superiority bit, people who insist on bringing that up every time the US is mentioned often have an inferiority complex.

you didn't get what i meant to say, maybe i didn't explain it good enough.. it's even worse in mlb, where many talented players come from outside of usa.. so if every player played for their homeland and they competed in a WORLD tournament (usa vs cuba/puertorico/dominicanrepublic/.../japan/) the outcome wouldn't be a sure thing..

but just as i wrote this, i realized we are not arguing about the national teams but a league teams made from international players.. so not the same thing.. ok, sorry..

but still, no mlb team plays any other team outside usa (ok, toronto, i know) and therefore the mlb champion should be calld only that - a mlb champion..

it's also interesting that a starter of this topic is not an american :)

Really why so ?  IMO if you have'nt spoken with folks outside the U.S you would'nt realize that it matters to those folks & I'm glad the man had the stones to bring it up . It is a valid point . We should always welcome debate not squash it . We here don't realize that words do harm ? On the contrary we here at  a message board  do realize that words misspoken or carelessly written can do harm . " World Champion "   in that context creates the impression of Superiority . Kinda like in elementary school " My dad can whip your dad "  Silly stuff that leads to conflict instead of understanding .

i pointed that out cause i wanted to commend him on posting a question that i've also been thinking about, but haven't seen a discussion started by americans (or anyone for that matter)..

p.s. in case you didn't notice, i am from outside of usa ;)

you didn't get what i meant to say, maybe i didn't explain it good enough.. it's even worse in mlb, where many talented players come from outside of usa.. so if every player played for their homeland and they competed in a WORLD tournament (usa vs cuba/puertorico/dominicanrepublic/.../japan/) the outcome wouldn't be a sure thing..

but just as i wrote this, i realized we are not arguing about the national teams but a league teams made from international players.. so not the same thing.. ok, sorry..

but still, no mlb team plays any other team outside usa (ok, toronto, i know) and therefore the mlb champion should be calld only that - a mlb champion..

Probably because "world series" was coined when the US was the only place baseball was played. Now it's just too late to change the name...

As for MLB, there is a legend that the original series pitting the champions of the two leagues was sponsored by a newspaper of the time called the New York World, hence the World Series name. Not sure how true that is.

I've heard that one too, but it's not true.

i pointed that out cause i wanted to commend him on posting a question that i've also been thinking about, but haven't seen a discussion started by americans (or anyone for that matter)..

p.s. in case you didn't notice, i am from outside of usa ;)

IMO if you have'nt spoken with folks outside the U.S you would'nt realize that it matters to those folks & I'm glad the man had the stones to bring it up . It is a valid point .

I did notice your a fan from another area who's opinion  matters just as much as anyone elses  IMO , Were all football fans here & thats all i care about ,  My Lithuanian friend pointed out to me several years back that our American ways tend to rub others the wrong way & we should recognize that & Welcome the opportunity to exchange our views on sports & to learn about others whose opinion although different are equally important . The World Champion thread is a good topic that allows us to be civil respectful  & to appreciate fans from all around the world , How awesome is that . :thmup:  :blueshoe:

Where does the term world champions come from when we talk about the NFL?

I always think it is funny to hear people around the NFL call the Super Bowl champions for world champions, when all the teams and probably more than 99 percent of the players are from the US.

I have no doubt that the best team in the NFL is the best in the world, since it is a game as far as I know (I’m not sure of this) that is only played on a professional level in the US and Canada. But it is kind of silly to call themselves world champions when they haven’t even played anybody from another country, not even the best team from the CFL (a game they of course would have won).

I don’t mean to offend anybody, but I come from a small country where all the best athletes compete internationally, and most of the national championships are not regarded that high. So I was just curious when and why they started using the term world champions.

I have always said the same thing. I think they say it that way because it sounds more grandiose. A more accurate title would be "national champions". Or, we could just keep it simple and call them what they really are, Super Bowl champions.

I did notice your a fan from another area who's opinion  matters just as much as anyone elses  IMO , Were all football fans here & thats all i care about ,  My Lithuanian friend pointed out to me several years back that our American ways tend to rub others the wrong way & we should recognize that & Welcome the opportunity to exchange our views on sports & to learn about others whose opinion although different are equally important . The World Champion thread is a good topic that allows us to be civil respectful  & to appreciate fans from all around the world , How awesome is that . :thmup:  :blueshoe:

i wasn't trying to offend anybody,or bash on americans, but that term is just something that ticks me off..

and i'm kinda new on this forum, so i'm not really sure if you're being sarcastic with the well written pacifistic opinions or really genuine :)

p.s. slightly off-topic, what do you guys think, why do You in english language write first person pronoun with a capital letter? :D  :stir:

i wasn't trying to offend anybody,or bash on americans, but that term is just something that ticks me off..

and i'm kinda new on this forum, so i'm not really sure if you're being sarcastic with the well written pacifistic opinions or really genuine :)

p.s. slightly off-topic, what do you guys think, why do You in english language write first person pronoun with a capital letter? :D  :stir:

First I did'nt feel that you were trying to offend anyone or bash anyone -  I understand  it ticks people off as I stated I have a very good friend who went back to Lithuania he was my apprentice bricklayer as we became friends working togeather our conversations would led to the worlds view of Americans .

I'm not being sarcastic  - well written pacifistic opinion  ?  Makes me scratch my head a lil . I'm the most genuine person you would ever meet .

I'm a white dude who was born & raised in East L.A  went to school there & Watts & Compton , I'm far from a pacifist  & as a student of the L.A unified school district my use of the english language is terrible . As a Bricklayer I never learned about computers until the Colts were on there way to the Superbowl I just did'nt care . I'm still trying to type with more than my middle finger & just spell stuff right .

I actually liked the topic because it gives me & others an opportunity to discuss a topic that might not occur to us as Americans .

Although I had talked about it with my friend the opportunity to discuss this with others has never presented itself & I for one saw it as a very valid question . A simple question .

I'm what I would call a straight shooter . I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box in a world of very sharp people trying to keep it real .

:banana::colts:

Who cares who started it? It is a valid topic for discussion, IMO.

The world's view of Americans can be as myopic as Americans' view of the outside world. It does not help when CNN Headline news devotes 1 or 2 minutes to what is happening in Asia only in the case of a catastrophe. BBC America does a much better job. I want my kid to know what is going on outside the US as well, and knowledge is powerful.

This is how I explain myopic perception:

Person A brought up in certain conditions goes outside their comfort zone and starts expecting a few things that they are used to in their comfort zone (insert burgers, air conditioning/heat, and even cubes of ice Americans expect overseas :)). Person B living outside that comfort zone is used to those surroundings and cannot understand why Person A acts a certain way and thinks Person A is spoiled or elitist. But Person A does not know anything different for most of their life, neither does Person B.

Half the battle is bridging the gap by knowing more about the other person's surroundings. It applies to both Person A and Person B. It starts with knowing more about the others, and it applies to all walks of life, all countries, races etc.

You know who, in addition to America, everyone thinks is arrogant and carrying around a superiority complex?

The Patriots!

We are to football what America is to the rest of the world. People don't like winners I guess.  ;)

Anyway, I digress. Never been a fan of the "world champions" phrase. While it may be a formality for the Super Bowl winner to take on any American-football league champs from around the world, that's not what it really is, not at all. And I agree that the "World Series" name may have made sense 100 years ago, but today it's not quite that.

First I did'nt feel that you were trying to offend anyone or bash anyone -  I understand  it ticks people off as I stated I have a very good friend who went back to Lithuania he was my apprentice bricklayer as we became friends working togeather our conversations would led to the worlds view of Americans .

I'm not being sarcastic  - well written pacifistic opinion  ?  Makes me scratch my head a lil . I'm the most genuine person you would ever meet .

I'm a white dude who was born & raised in East L.A  went to school there & Watts & Compton , I'm far from a pacifist   I'm still trying to type with more than my middle finger & just spell stuff right .

Hey, watch what you're doing with that middle finger. :P

You sound like you're insulted. He called you a pacifist, not a racist. I'd consider it a compliment.

No one else plays it, so therefore we are the best in the world. USA. USA. USA

Andrew Luck's father, Oliver Luck, played in NFL Europe. Also called the World League Of American Football. WLAF existed from 1991-2007.  There were six teams in the league: five based in Germany and one in the Netherlands. Andrew Luck himself grew up in Germany. Clearly, the USA is not the only one who plays this fantastic game VF4. The NFL officially cut all ties with the WLAF on June 29, 2007. 

http://www.nfl.com/nfl-europa-closes

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/2012/10/24/nfl-europa/

http://www.footballdb.com/nfl-europe/index.html

Andrew Luck's father, Oliver Luck, played in NFL Europe. Also called the World League Of American Football. WLAF existed from 1991-2007.  There were six teams in the league: five based in Germany and one in the Netherlands. Andrew Luck himself grew up in Germany. Clearly, the USA is not the only one who plays this fantastic game VF4. The NFL officially cut all ties with the WLAF on June 29, 2007. 

http://www.nfl.com/nfl-europa-closes

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/2012/10/24/nfl-europa/

http://www.footballdb.com/nfl-europe/index.html

Obviously there is an execption to every rule. Oliver Luck was a back up quarter back, Andrew looks to be great, but he also played highschool ball in America. 

Obviously there is an execption to every rule. Oliver Luck was a back up quarter back, Andrew looks to be great, but he also played highschool ball in America. 

There is an American football league in Norway, and the winner of that league has played in a competition with the best teams from other European leagues. So there are probably several leagues, but they are small and probably not that good.

If they played CFL rules the NFL team could struggle from lack of experience with a much larger field, larger end-zone, 12 players, and 3 downs.Given time to adjust it would be a different story, but for their first game I might put my money on the CFL in that circumstance. Maybe not.

If they played CFL rules the NFL team could struggle from lack of experience with a much larger field, larger end-zone, 12 players, and 3 downs.Given time to adjust it would be a different story, but for their first game I might put my money on the CFL in that circumstance. Maybe not.

There will be a small adjustment period but NFL teams are used to going nickel all the time and DCs like Rex Ryan even play 6 or 7 DBs on the field at a single time. However, the trenches will not be a match for NFL D-lines or O-lines, it will get one sided pretty fast.

Yes, there indeed are exceptions to nearly every rule I agree 100% VF4. I only replied to your statement because it conveyed the false impression that only the U.S. played NFL football. Perhaps, that wasn't your original intent, but nevertheless it is the message you clearly stated. "No one else plays it, so therefore we are the best in the world. USA. USA. USA"

Hey, we all miscommunicate every now & then even me. No harm done. 

There is an American football league in Norway, and the winner of that league has played in a competition with the best teams from other European leagues. So there are probably several leagues, but they are small and probably not that good.

My impression of exists in Europe is mostly an amateur sport that only a select few care about.  

Soccer (Association football) is obviously the most popular thing there, but basketball has a degree of popularity.  I did see basketball courts in France in 2000, and obviously they are improving basketball wise from back in '92 where teams where just completely unable to even compete with the US "Dream Team".  

Hey, watch what you're doing with that middle finger. :P

You sound like you're insulted. He called you a pacifist, not a racist. I'd consider it a compliment.

Not insulted , I was trying in my cavemanish way to explain that there are differences in the way people look at things -  That countries have differing opinions based on locations Even here in the U.S-. East - Mid west - or South Central Los Angeles  ,

My view of the world is much different than most based on my experiences .

As a skinny boy riding those buses walking those streets in the heart of gang territory I survived what few would . In person most people won't approach me my size & way i carry my self makes people nervous . I like the opportunity to use what lil mind I have to learn from others . Most outside of L.A will never know anyone like me & there are no pacifist where I come from . My world view is very simple I believe in right & wrong  & I like the underdogs .

In the OP  World Champions   is the term was coined  innocently many years ago & has be promoted since not to demean others but for promotion purposes because its always about the money . The ability to exchange views with Americans & non Americans on the subject is a great  opportunity  " Point of view is made easier if a person takes a minute to explain there reasonings "  A city boy such as my self growing up in Cali has opinions based on where I grew up . For instance views concerning guns . Growing up the only people I knew who had them were gangbangers & cops . I never met a hunter until I left the state . My opinions will & do bother people . Its a gift . Compliments of the west coast . :blueshoe:

The two sports in question, baseball and football in their present forms originated in the USA and as no other countries participated in them, the winner here was titled "World Champion."  Changing it now would be closing the barn door after the cows get out and if another country wishes to participate they should ante up and form a team to challenge for the title.

The World Cup in soccer (called football everywhere but here) is truly a world championship and every team desiring to compete must qualify and compete so bring it on!  Baseball has serious competition world wide and would definitely be more interesting with a world playoff series but (American) football still has a while before anyone else could compete on the same level.

As an aside, when in the Navy in South America we were corrected many times referring to the USA as "America" when they reminded us that they were in America too, South America so I don't make that mistake very often any more.  It's the United States of America.....

Size or sophistication of these programs American Football Leagues really doesn't matter kirie89. Geography or jurisidiction located primarily on the North American Continent really is insignificant. What's really cool to see is how far & wide American Football really stretches on a global, international scale defying time zones, language barriers, & bringing people of diverse backgrounds together with similar recreational & occupational pursuits. 

There will be a small adjustment period but NFL teams are used to going nickel all the time and DCs like Rex Ryan even play 6 or 7 DBs on the field at a single time. However, the trenches will not be a match for NFL D-lines or O-lines, it will get one sided pretty fast.

Yes I would expect the trenches to have a serious drop-off for the CFL side, but at the same time I would expect the pass-coverage of the NFL defenders to have a serious drop-off as well. It's more than an extra receiver, CFL also has lots of motion rules and pre-snap movements that NFL defenders probably have never seen. Even the coaching staff, without preparation, would probably have no clue the best plays to call for certain situations.

A couple of recent examples of players making the switch are Cameron Wake coming up from the CFL to the NFL. He hasn't had much of a drop off in success and terrorizes NFL OL almost as much as he did CFL OL. Ricky Williams also went down to the CFL where he was at-best mediocre (I would say bad because a 4.8 YPC in the CFL is like a 3 YPC in the NFL), it wasn't just the end of his career either, he put up over 1000 yards and a solid YPC when he returned to the NFL.

If you put a NFL playoff team in against the CFL I think they would adjust, but put a team like the Browns in and it may be a different story.

That said, if a CFL team played any NFL team with NFL rules, they'd be no match.

My impression of exists in Europe is mostly an amateur sport that only a select few care about.  

Soccer (Association football) is obviously the most popular thing there, but basketball has a degree of popularity.  I did see basketball courts in France in 2000, and obviously they are improving basketball wise from back in '92 where teams where just completely unable to even compete with the US "Dream Team".  

Good point Valpo2004! There is always a period of adjustment when athletes from different countries try to learn the sport of another nation, region, continent, or hemisphere. Sometimes, the new sport takes off like wildfire & sometimes it never really become mainstream in a distant location. Just like soccer star David Beckham here. In Ireland, Soccer matches are extremely popular whereas in the States [uSA] not so much on the professional team level.  

Good point Valpo2004! There is always a period of adjustment when athletes from different countries try to learn the sport of another nation, region, continent, or hemisphere. Sometimes, the new sport takes off like wildfire & sometimes it never really become mainstream in a distant location. Just like soccer star David Beckham here. In Ireland, Soccer matches are extremely popular whereas in the States [uSA] not so much on the professional team level.  

Soccer is gaining in popularity.  Trust me I was a fan of soccer before people made much of a big deal out of it.  I watched the '98 World Cup and I hardly recall any advertising of it or talk of it.  You could see the matches on TV but not many people talked about it.  And it just sort has grown since then.

If nothing else the immigration of people from Latin America into the US will give soccer a degree of popularity here.  

The thing I always wonder though is how American football fans and players from overseas actually got into it.  Because I just can't see American football being much more popular there then something like curling here.  I tend to think soccer is far more popular in the US then American football is in Europe.  

But I could be wrong, the international series games seemed well attended.  The question to me though is how many of those who where attending that game where actually American ex-pats as opposed to actual born and raised Brits.  

Yes I would expect the trenches to have a serious drop-off for the CFL side, but at the same time I would expect the pass-coverage of the NFL defenders to have a serious drop-off as well. It's more than an extra receiver, CFL also has lots of motion rules and pre-snap movements that NFL defenders probably have never seen. Even the coaching staff, without preparation, would probably have no clue the best plays to call for certain situations.

A couple of recent examples of players making the switch are Cameron Wake coming up from the CFL to the NFL. He hasn't had much of a drop off in success and terrorizes NFL OL almost as much as he did CFL OL. Ricky Williams also went down to the CFL where he was at-best mediocre (I would say bad because a 4.8 YPC in the CFL is like a 3 YPC in the NFL), it wasn't just the end of his career either, he put up over 1000 yards and a solid YPC when he returned to the NFL.

If you put a NFL playoff team in against the CFL I think they would adjust, but put a team like the Browns in and it may be a different story.

That said, if a CFL team played any NFL team with NFL rules, they'd be no match.

It would probably be no match if the CFL all stars played the worst NFL team with CFL rules.  However I would argue a CFL team could probably beat most college teams, even with NCAA football rules. 

The two sports in question, baseball and football in their present forms originated in the USA and as no other countries participated in them, the winner here was titled "World Champion." Changing it now would be closing the barn door after the cows get out and if another country wishes to participate they should ante up and form a team to challenge for the title.

The World Cup in soccer (called football everywhere but here) is truly a world championship and every team desiring to compete must qualify and compete so bring it on! Baseball has serious competition world wide and would definitely be more interesting with a world playoff series but (American) football still has a while before anyone else could compete on the same level.

As an aside, when in the Navy in South America we were corrected many times referring to the USA as "America" when they reminded us that they were in America too, South America so I don't make that mistake very often any more. It's the United States of America.....

Brazil, Chile, & South America...Yes, there are indeed 2 distinct America's. Quite right subvet. Baseball prospects in U.S. 50 states of America often come from Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic too with several different Spanish dialects native to a specific region as well. That's what true diversity really is breaking out of your comfort zone. My dad encountered similar cultural experiences among villages in Korea & Viet Nam as well.

Soccer is gaining in popularity.  Trust me I was a fan of soccer before people made much of a big deal out of it.  I watched the '98 World Cup and I hardly recall any advertising of it or talk of it.  You could see the matches on TV but not many people talked about it.  And it just sort has grown since then.

If nothing else the immigration of people from Latin America into the US will give soccer a degree of popularity here.  

The thing I always wonder though is how American football fans and players from overseas actually got into it.  Because I just can't see American football being much more popular there then something like curling here.  I tend to think soccer is far more popular in the US then American football is in Europe.  

But I could be wrong, the international series games seemed well attended.  The question to me though is how many of those who where attending that game where actually American ex-pats as opposed to actual born and raised Brits.  

AS the Latin American population proliferates in the U.S. states, there will definitely be a huge shift in interest toward more soccer & baseball no question. Good question about the native born Brits. I have no idea. Roger Goodell, the NFL Commissioner, has only really hosted a regular season game in London. It would be cool to see a NFL regular season game played in say Scotland or Turkey IMO. Never gonna happen though. The US NFL needs to branch out more & cast a wider net of publicity & exposure going to more unknown & unfamiliar pockets of the globe. Just my 2 cents anyway. 

Yes, there indeed are exceptions to nearly every rule I agree 100% VF4. I only replied to your statement because it conveyed the false impression that only the U.S. played NFL football. Perhaps, that wasn't your original intent, but nevertheless it is the message you clearly stated. "No one else plays it, so therefore we are the best in the world. USA. USA. USA"

Hey, we all miscommunicate every now & then even me. No harm done. 

I'm not mad/angry. I was saying we are the only ones playing it, which I stand by that statement, because sure Canada plays, but no one pays attention to it. Every so often you'll hear of a player who makes it to the NFL from Canada. Like Freeman from the colts, but its not like he's a super star. Sure other countries play it, but it will never be as big as American football.  Obviously the NFL Europe failed, and CFL is pretty poor as well. So sure other countries do play, but no one can mimic the popularity and skill of the USA for years to come.