Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did lack of faith in Jerry Hughes and inability to get deal with Avril lead to Walden signing?

chad72

One, the amount of the signing. Two, the timing of the signing. It was not like Walden would not have been around if we waited around a few days more.  So, the timing of the signing perplexes me. Was Walden more of an insurance policy signing should nothing get done with Avril? Or was it more of a testament to their lack of faith in Jerry Hughes or BOTH?

Yes, Grigson unearthed Jerrell Freeman and got Darius Butler motivated enough to play again. Yes, I believe in Grigson and the coaching staff too but the timing of this seems odd to me. No, please, I am not freaking out, just trying to make sense of this.

I remember Chargers fans saying "VJax who" when they signed Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem only to see VJax outproduce both of these guys single handedly. In certain cases, you do get what you pay for and quantity is not a substitute for quality. I am hoping this one is not one of those.

Thoughts???

I don't think the Colts were that close to getting a deal with Avril.

It seemed like it today, but it turns out they weren't that close.

How do you know? They could still be taking to him, or they never talked to him at all.. Impossible toknow

My guess is we're out with Avril.    I don't think we've got the money.

I think Walden and Sudbery are our attempts to replace Freeney.

Hughes maybe stays on for a year or two more and backs-up Mathis.

I think we were close for Avril but perhaps the player was hoping we'd sweeten our offer if he held out.   We didn't.   We went Plan-B.     Too bad.

Hope I'm wrong on that.   Perhaps we've still got the money for Avril.    But at this point,  I don't think we do.

I find this signing curious, but am not up in arms like a lot of posters. One option is that they DO have faith in Jerry Hughes and they feel Walden, Hughes, and Mathis are a solid combo. Is Walden more of a run stopper than pass rusher? If so, another option is that they view him as the run-stopping compliment to Hughes/Mathis/Avril or a pass-rusher in the draft...

You don't have this type of cap space often.  Toler, Thomas and Cherilous were solid signings, but with this type of money, you would like to get one true game changer. 

Exactly. i hope if we don't get Avril we at least try to land Revis and over him some of this cap space we still have.

I think we were close for Avril but perhaps the player was hoping we'd sweeten our offer if he held out.   We didn't.   We went

Plan-B.     Too bad.

Hope I'm wrong on that.   Perhaps we've still got the money for Avril.    But at this point,  I don't think we do.

Scared to say it, you make a lot of sense and I do believe Walden was Plan B.

You don't have this type of cap space often.  Toler, Thomas and Cherilous were solid signings, but with this type of money, you would like to get one true game changer. 

I hope we can grab asoughma. Then we could draft a safety in the draft instead of signing Landry. This draft isnsupposento be loaded with safties

One, the amount of the signing. Two, the timing of the signing. It was not like Walden would not have been around if we waited around a few days more.  So, the timing of the signing perplexes me. Was Walden more of an insurance policy signing should nothing get done with Avril? Or was it more of a testament to their lack of faith in Jerry Hughes or BOTH?

Yes, Grigson unearthed Jerrell Freeman and got Darius Butler motivated enough to play again. Yes, I believe in Grigson and the coaching staff too but the timing of this seems odd to me. No, please, I am not freaking out, just trying to make sense of this.

I remember Chargers fans saying "VJax who" when they signed Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem only to see VJax outproduce both of these guys single handedly. In certain cases, you do get what you pay for and quantity is not a substitute for quality. I am hoping this one is not one of those.

Thoughts???

I said earlier, there is no way we offered Walden that type of money unless somebody was bidding against us. Could be  that the people that actually know what they are talking about, think this kid has real potential. Let's just wait and see what happens, were only a few hours into free agency.

I think we were close for Avril but perhaps the player was hoping we'd sweeten our offer if he held out.   We didn't.   We went Plan-B.     Too bad.

You honestly think we've spent 30 mil. on the signings we've made today. Not even close IMO.

You honestly think we've spent 30 mil. on the signings we've made today. Not even close IMO.

In a post on another thread I did the rough math.    I think we've spent about $19 MIll.    But I don't think we'll spend more than $26 Mill on FA's from other teams.    The rest will be used on our own roster and draft picks and the rest kept in reserve.

So,  by my rough math,  we've got about $7 mill left to spend.     Avril I'm sure wants $10 Mill.   He turned that down from Detroit a year ago.    Hopefully I'm wrong.    I'm not hoping I'm right.   I think we've got perhaps 2 mid-level signings left.

I think Walden and Sudbery were our Plan-B's after Avril.    Again,  I hope I'm wrong.

In a post on another thread I did the rough math. I think we've spent about $19 MIll. But I don't think we'll spend more than $26 Mill on FA's from other teams. The rest will be used on our own roster and draft picks and the rest kept in reserve.

So, by my rough math, we've got about $7 mill left to spend. Avril I'm sure wants $10 Mill. He turned that down from Detroit a year ago. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm not hoping I'm right. I think we've got perhaps 2 mid-level signings left.

I think Walden and Sudbery were our Plan-B's after Avril. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

You don't take the total contact and divide it by the years and posy the guy evenly throughout the contract. These contracts could be back loaded with little guaranteed money. No one knows

How do you know? They could still be taking to him, or they never talked to him at all.. Impossible toknow

That's what the reports indicate.

They could still be in talks. From what I read from Grigs' comments, Avril won't be coming to the Colts. He doesn't fill the bill for the Colts. He's not a player that really loves football and plays whistle to whistle. Avril isn't that type of guy.

I didn't expect Avril to come, and he probably won't now. 

They could still be in talks. From what I read from Grigs' comments, Avril won't be coming to the Colts. He doesn't fill the bill for the Colts. He's not a player that really loves football and plays whistle to whistle. Avril isn't that type of guy.

And you base this on.....

You don't take the total contact and divide it by the years and posy the guy evenly throughout the contract. These contracts could be back loaded with little guaranteed money. No one knows

I know that....   but since none of us has access to the details of the contract yet and everyone is speculating,  so did I.

I clearly said over and over again that this was my rough calculations.   My guessing.    I didn't say this was fact or even accurate. 

But I've put it out there.   I've stated repeatedly that I hope I'm wrong.    I have no interest in being right in this case.

I'm just trying to give a rough idea of what we may or may not be doing in the days ahead. 

In a post on another thread I did the rough math.    I think we've spent about $19 MIll.    But I don't think we'll spend more than $26 Mill on FA's from other teams.    The rest will be used on our own roster and draft picks and the rest kept in reserve.

So,  by my rough math,  we've got about $7 mill left to spend.     Avril I'm sure wants $10 Mill.   He turned that down from Detroit a year ago.    Hopefully I'm wrong.    I'm not hoping I'm right.   I think we've got perhaps 2 mid-level signings left.

I think Walden and Sudbery were our Plan-B's after Avril.    Again,  I hope I'm wrong.

I think and its just my opinion, but you are seriously over valuing the deals we made today. Contracts are structured in many different ways. I also think we'll only sign maybe 2 more guys from our FA's and we'll be done. Draft picks will roughly be 5 mi and I think we'll leave no more than 8 million in the tank for the season. IMO we still have a boatload of cash to spend and I just seen a tweet somebody posted that said the Colts are still focused on getting a deal done with Avril.

Where did grigs say any of those things about Avril? Where did grigs say he even talked to or ever even considered him too come here

Where did grigs say any of those things about Avril? Where did grigs say he even talked to or ever even considered him too come here

Grigs made those comments today. He said that he wants guys that love to play, and play whistle to whistle and so on. He never said anything about Avril. 

Grigs hasn't said anything about anyone.   That's tampering.    So, an absence of him saying anything about a player is meaningless.

The reports on Avril have been coming from all over the NFL.    You can accept them or reject them.   Up to you....

Grigs hasn't said anything about anyone. That's tapering. So, an absence of him saying anything about a player is meaningless.

The reports on Avril have been coming from all over the NFL. You can accept them or reject them. Up to you....

It's not tampering now

It's not tampering now

Well....   Grigson hasn't made a single comment today.   At least,  none that I'm aware of.

The only comments are from Irsay and they're mostly generic about being happy and thrilled with the signings.   But no comment about any specific player.

Thomas and Walden, from the articles people have posted on other threads, are very hungry backups who are ready to start.  I don't know if they are plan B or not, but I don't think it's a reactionary move on Grigson's part.  I think he believes in these guys.

You said in the post above that avril doesn't fit the bill according to grigs

Yeah, based on his comments, Avril would not be a good fit on the team.

Avril is not a guy that will play whistle to whistle. 

I said earlier, there is no way we offered Walden that type of money unless somebody was bidding against us. Could be  that the people that actually know what they are talking about, think this kid has real potential. Let's just wait and see what happens, were only a few hours into free agency.

Agreed.

I think we lost out to Avril, and Plan B was Walden and we had to bid higher than the next team in order to secure him.