Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Last-Minute Predictions for Colts' Free Agency

HarassedOffTheSite

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1560672-last-minute-predictions-for-colts-free-agency

The Colts Will Overpay

The Colts will overpay in free agency. 

Why? 

Because everybody is overpaid in free agency. 

In short, veterans tend to be overpaid, rookies who make it into the league and get playing time tend to be underpaid.

Colts Lose Bidding War for Paul Kruger

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I don't see Ryan Grigson spending $11-12 million per season on Kruger

Louis Vasquez Signs with the Colts

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Vasquez will be the one that ends up in Colts blue.

Colts Sign a Veteran Tackle

The Colts could sign a left tackle and move Anthony Castonzo to the right side, where his run-blocking skills and lack of lateral quickness would be better served.

If this is the option the Colts choose to go with, they could sign Jake Long, Sam Baker (if Atlanta lets him go) or Sebastian Vollmer (who has played both right and left tackle).

The Biggest Cornerback Signing Is Darius Butler

They had a chance to clean out the position completely, but they didn't, issuing tenders to Josh Gordy and Cassius Vaughn. It seems the team is going to be content with keeping some of their veterans from last season, improving with more experience in the new defense.

avril

levitre or vasquez

jake long 

drc or cary williams

I agree, not that I completely agree with this.

Looks like Avril is a distinct possibility.

Want Vasquez over Levitre everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. I like Levitre, but not for our system.

I keep hearing rumors that Long could indeed be on his way to Indy.

Either DRC or Williams would be fine with me.

Also would like to add another 2nd tier guard.

The titles of the two stories on the front of Colts.com are......

"Ready, Set,  Smart"

"Dollar Wise"

This would suggest a strong level of caution by Grigson.    But all this Avril talk may mean it's a smoke screen.

Very had to read these tea leaves.....

If we can get Avril without going too crazy, I think it would be great!    The question becomes,  how high is up??     How much are we willing to pay??

This is high stakes poker...!

I saw the Redskins just had to release DeAngelo Hall in an unexpected cap move.  I see him as a viable veteran that still has quite a bit of gas in the tank.  He'd be expensive, but probably not as much as Reed/Revis.  Would more than fill the Powers hole likely to be left.

Also, I see that Tennessee is now in the market for a guard to replace Hutchinson after a recent retirement announcement.  They don't have as much cap space, but will likely be another team fighting for players the we want/need.

Also, I see that Tennessee is now in the market for a guard to replace Hutchinson after a recent retirement announcement.  They don't have as much cap space, but will likely be another team fighting for players the we want/need.

Levitre will end up in Tenn..

Who I think Colts WILL sign:

LT Jake Long

OG Louis Vasquez

CB Darius Butler

OLB Cliff Avril

Who I want the Colts to sign:

OG Louis Vasquez

OG Andy Levitre

CB Darius Butler

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

OLB Cliff Avril

You're really set in on DRC aren't you? haha

Colts sign:

OG Louis Vasquez

OLB Cliff Avril

CB Mike Jenkins

CB Darius Butler

WR Donnie Avery

I'm conflicted on this list.  Got some solid players but the exception is Donnie Avery.  He was straight awful last year.  Dropped to many balls in key situations and almost cost us games.. Could argue that he did cost us points in the playoff game with all of his drops.  No absolutely not donnie avery.  My list however is Vasquez, Avril, DRC, Long, outside shot at jennings.

In a Perfect World:

Louis Vasquez - OG

Sebastien Vollmer - RT

Brandon Moore - OG

Sean Smith - CB

Mike DeVito - DE

I would also take Avery and Butler back.

Draft Barkevious Mingo, Shamarko Thomas and William Gholston.

I think that, coupled with the years experience of our offensive rookies and another year with the 3-4 scheme, gives us a top-8 football team and one more than capable of competing in the play-offs. I would love a top up-and-coming WR as well, but not everything can be done this off-season, and that can wait until next year.

In a Perfect World:

Louis Vasquez - OG

Sebastien Vollmer - RT

Brandon Moore - OG

Sean Smith - CB

Mike DeVito - DE

I would also take Avery and Butler back.

Draft Barkevious Mingo, Shamarko Thomas and William Gholston.

I think that, coupled with the years experience of our offensive rookies and another year with the 3-4 scheme, gives us a top-8 football team and one more than capable of competing in the play-offs. I would love a top up-and-coming WR as well, but not everything can be done this off-season, and that can wait until next year.

Like your list.  Not a huge Devito fan though.  I also doubt Mingo will be there at 24 and I've heard Thomas is shooting up the draft boards.  We'll see but I agree with you on the fact that if we land some solid players in FA and the Draft we are a top 8 team and competing for the super bowl!  I'll take Butler back but not Avery.  Don't like him at all..

Like your list.  Not a huge Devito fan though.  I also doubt Mingo will be there at 24 and I've heard Thomas is shooting up the draft boards.  We'll see but I agree with you on the fact that if we land some solid players in FA and the Draft we are a top 8 team and competing for the super bowl!  I'll take Butler back but not Avery.  Don't like him at all..

Hence the caveat "In a Perfect World." Mingo could fall to 24, not beyond the realms of possibility, I think the most unlikely thing to happen is William Gholston falling to the fourth, but still an outside chance. I think he would be a great long-term replacement for Redding. DeVito is a decent player, Jets fans like him a lot. Avery is serviceable and was not as bad as many made out last year, though I see him playing a smaller role anyway.

If I didn't have my optimism, I wouldn't have much.

Avril

Vasquez

Long

Butler

2nd tier defensive end - FA

2nd tier wr - FA

Trufant (cb) - draft 1st pick

Safety - ???  draft or FA

Yep!

The only 'second-tier' FA WRs are slot guys unfortunately, and I don't see us going for a slot guy when Hilton is so well suited to that role. I think re-signing Avery is the most likely route we go down.