Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boldin must take pay cut or he will be cut.

Indyfan4life

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Ravens want Anquan Boldin to take a pay cut, or he will be released before Tuesday’s start of the free-agent period.

Boldin is owed a $6 million base salary, and the Ravens have seemingly deemed that too costly for a possession receiver. ILB Dannell Ellerbe is believed to be the Ravens' top priority in the wake of Joe Flacco's contract extension, and a pay cut for Boldin would free up even more cap space. Boldin quipped after the Ravens' Super Bowl win that he'd retire if the Ravens cut him. We're inclined to think that he might be reconsidering that stance.

Source: FOX Sports

Mar 9 - 9:16 AM

Flacco shouldn't have been the highest paid player.

Take a page out of Brady's book and take a pay cut to keep players on your team. 

Why must you have to be the highest paid player in the NFL? Instead of gutting your team of money, take a pay cut of 30 or 40 million dollars so your team can make another run to the Super Bowl.

Boldin shouldn't retire, the guy has a lot left in the tank, unless he wants to end his career on a high note and just retire a champion.

Say one of your work colleagues decides to move to another company, as the pay was better. Would you got to your boss and tell him to match his salary he was getting by taking the money from you? 

I don't think you would somehow....

Take a page out of Brady's book and take a pay cut to keep players on your team. 

Why must you have to be the highest paid player in the NFL? Instead of gutting your team of money, take a pay cut of 30 or 40 million dollars so your team can make another run to the Super Bowl.

Boldin shouldn't retire, the guy has a lot left in the tank, unless he wants to end his career on a high note and just retire a champion.

Say one of your work colleagues decides to move to another company, as the pay was better. Would you got to your boss and tell him to match his salary he was getting by taking the money from you? 

Well I am not getting paid 80 or 120 million dollars. 

I am more of a let's win some rings and make up for the lost money in endorsement deals kind of guy.

I just won't be surprised if I don't see Baltimore back in the Super Bowl.

Yes or go to your boss and say Joe got a raise and you need to give Dan a raise so I'll take a pay cut so you'll have the money for them.

Thats comparing apples to oranges. Most people aren't going to make even a small percentage of that kind of money in their entire life; let alone in a career where they retire between 35-40, and than often proceed on to a second lucrative career in media etc....

]

Sorry, but that's a very dumb comparison! There is a big difference between normal guys like us who make a couple of thousand bucks a year and depend on every cent and multiple millionairs! Flacco would just be fine with a few millions less. Guys like us would be in huge trouble with a few thousands less... 

No way he will retire. Still has too much to offer and can help any team.

That's what happens when you give Flacco far too much money than he deserves.  I'm curious to see what Boldin does if he is cut.  He said he will retire, but I don't think he will

Update: Anquan Boldin rejects Ravens’ pay cut offer, will test open market if released
f USA Today writes that Boldin has indeed rejected the Ravens' offer, and is bracing to test the open market.

Update: Anquan Boldin rejects Ravens’ pay cut offer, will test open market if released

f USA Today writes that Boldin has indeed rejected the Ravens' offer, and is bracing to test the open market.

I still think he can go to a team and still be a number 1 or 2 guy somewhere. 

Maybe a team like Cincinatti or 49ers that could use another reliable receiver.

I still think he can go to a team and still be a number 1 or 2 guy somewhere. 

Maybe a team like Cincinatti or 49ers that could use another reliable receiver.

Good physical, receiver that fights for and gets that ball , Definitely an asset to have

It was the Ravens' OL, guys. No one got close to Flacco consistently, and the ones that did the closest ounce of damage were the Broncos' pass rushers.  If Bryant McKinnie gets out of shape again and that OL, with Matt Birk retired, loses continuity again, dont be surprised the Steelers are in control of that division again.

So, if your OL can be stout, Fleener and Allen can be those kinds of "contested ball" pass catchers too, IMO. Every team goes on a run at some point in the season. The Ravens had their run at the best point of the season, IMO. Fitzgerald had his best playoff season with Kurt Warner too, and they paid him 8 years $120 mil. following that and now with their OL and QB issues, they cant even get him the ball enough times.

Here's the deal on that one, sure Flacco got 120.6 million, but only 30 million is really guaranteed. His salary cap hit is 6.8 million in 2013, 14.8 million is 2014, 14.5 million in 2016, and only in 2016 will it move to 28.5 million, which will never happen. So really, Flacco did work with the Ravens to keep as many players as possible. Golden boy Brady, who you referenced, got more guaranteed money for a 37 year old quarterback, and had already gotten two big paydays. Flacco is doing what he can to keep Boldin, but Ellerbe is a higher priority for the Ravens right now with Ray Lewis retiring. Also, Ozzie wrote Flacco's contract with the understanding when the cap will go up to match Flacco's cap hit. I guess Roethlisburger is a bad guy because Harrison wouldn't take a pay cut either. The one thing we do know is that only the sainted Brady is pure in his intentions. More NFL double standards, and pro-New England bias.

Well I am not getting paid 80 or 120 million dollars. 

I am more of a let's win some rings and make up for the lost money in endorsement deals kind of guy.

I just won't be surprised if I don't see Baltimore back in the Super Bowl.

Never doubt the Wizard of Oz. They now have two Super Bowls as the Ravens since 1996, and Flacco has five straight playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl win. You'll be a loser on your bets like many who have already bet against Flacco and the Ravens. The one smart guy to pick the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, was of all people, Bill Cowher !!

It was the Ravens' OL, guys. No one got close to Flacco consistently, and the ones that did the closest ounce of damage were the Broncos' pass rushers.  If Bryant McKinnie gets out of shape again and that OL, with Matt Birk retired, loses continuity again, dont be surprised the Steelers are in control of that division again.

So, if your OL can be stout, Fleener and Allen can be those kinds of "contested ball" pass catchers too, IMO. Every team goes on a run at some point in the season. The Ravens had their run at the best point of the season, IMO. Fitzgerald had his best playoff season with Kurt Warner too, and they paid him 8 years $120 mil. following that and now with their OL and QB issues, they cant even get him the ball enough times.

Gino Gradkowski is already penciled in for Birk at center, and has already performed well. The Ravens will only take McKinnie cheap, because of the conditioning issues. They will have Gradkowski at Center, Yanda and Osemeli at Guard, Oher at Right tackle, and that only leaves a hole at left tackle, which they can fill. They still have Flacco, Pierce, Rice, Leach, Tory Smith, and Pitta and Dixon. If the Ellerbe talks fall through, they may be able to resign Boldin. They will have most of their OL back, their running backs, and most of their recievers. The Raven's secondary on D will be strong, especially with the return of Webb, and Ngata and Suggs will be fully healed. They obviously need help at inside linebacker and defensive tackle. Count on the Wizard of Oz to fill those needs. I would fully expect the Ravens to be back in the thick of things next year. The Steelers are an absolute mess, both on the field, and in the locker room. The Bengals are a more formidible opponent right now.

The principle is far from dumb my friend. The only dumb thing here is your inability to understand the logic. Why would people like Brady and Manning even take a salary if they have 100 million bucks in the bank?

Sorry, but that's a very dumb comparison! There is a big difference between normal guys like us who make a couple of thousand bucks a year and depend on every cent and multiple millionairs! Flacco would just be fine with a few millions less. Guys like us would be in huge trouble with a few thousands less... 

Flacco doesn't have the same kind of star power as Brady does. Even when Brady/Manning/Brees is gone, Luck/RG3/Rodgers are still going to be getting all the attention. Flacco needs to get his money while he can, because he's not going to get it from endorsements like the aforementioned.

Brady also has a wife who makes A LOT more than any of the players above do.

It will be tough, and yes it effects the team, but the guy had to be paid. Brady and Manning have had multiple paydays, while this is Flacco's first. Flacco did try to structure it so we could retain some other players. The Ravens were pretty much over a barrel, but Ozzie made the best of it, and Flacco did deserve the payday.

Here's the deal on that one, sure Flacco got 120.6 million, but only 30 million is really guaranteed. His salary cap hit is 6.8 million in 2013, 14.8 million is 2014, 14.5 million in 2016, and only in 2016 will it move to 28.5 million, which will never happen. So really, Flacco did work with the Ravens to keep as many players as possible. Golden boy Brady, who you referenced, got more guaranteed money for a 37 year old quarterback, and had already gotten two big paydays. Flacco is doing what he can to keep Boldin, but Ellerbe is a higher priority for the Ravens right now with Ray Lewis retiring. Also, Ozzie wrote Flacco's contract with the understanding when the cap will go up to match Flacco's cap hit. I guess Roethlisburger is a bad guy because Harrison wouldn't take a pay cut either. The one thing we do know is that only the sainted Brady is pure in his intentions. More NFL double standards, and pro-New England bias.

Are you trying to say that I have a New England bias over the Colts?

And I would love to believe that Flacco actually deserves to be paid one of the richest contracts in the NFL. Good for him, I was just making the note that I won't be surprised if they don't make it back because of his huge contract and letting key players go.

I put up the Brady observation because that is one of the bigger reasons why the guy has more rings than any other QB right now because of his cap friendly contracts, and more apt to taking pay cuts to help get the team in a better spot for more Super Bowls.

We can argue over bias and double standards, my observation is that I just won't be surprised if they don't make it back to the Super Bowl, I could care less if they did or didn't.

Flacco doesn't have the same kind of star power as Brady does. Even when Brady/Manning/Brees is gone, Luck/RG3/Rodgers are still going to be getting all the attention. Flacco needs to get his money while he can, because he's not going to get it from endorsements like the aforementioned.

Brady also has a wife who makes A LOT more than any of the players above do.

Flacco reminds me of Eli Manning with the same kind of cool demeanor, and very average looking guy.

Eli still had some endorsements after the Super Bowls. But the main thing is Flacco got his pay day, I don't agree with it, but I am glad he isn't on my team.

Never doubt the Wizard of Oz. They now have two Super Bowls as the Ravens since 1996, and Flacco has five straight playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl win. You'll be a loser on your bets like many who have already bet against Flacco and the Ravens. The one smart guy to pick the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, was of all people, Bill Cowher !!

No I never would have picked the Ravens to win and I am happy for them. But it is one super bowl win, let's wait and see who will be a winner or loser in about 5-10 years.

I never doubted Ozzie, he one of the best and respected GMs in the NFL.

And I would love to think that Flacco can lead this team now that he will get the big bucks. It should be interesting without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed gone and now he is the leader of the team.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Flacco, the guy had a good postseason but they could have easily lost in Denver and probably should have. 

And I would love to believe that Flacco actually deserves to be paid one of the richest contracts in the NFL. Good for him, I was just making the note that I won't be surprised if they don't make it back because of his huge contract and letting key players go.

I put up the Brady observation because that is one of the bigger reasons why the guy has more rings than any other QB right now because of his cap friendly contracts, and more apt to taking pay cuts to help get the team in a better spot for more Super Bowls.

We can argue over bias and double standards, my observation is that I just won't be surprised if they don't make it back to the Super Bowl, I could care less if they did or didn't.

The bias wasn't with you, I was talking about the national media, ESPN, in general. My point about Brady is he had two paydays, then basically restructured his at the end to get more guaranteed money, but at a lower rate. The media goes crazy lauding Brady, but says nothing about Flacco getting 6.8 million in 2013, 14.3 in 2014, and 14.5 in 2015. In all fairness, Joe did look out for the Ravens and his fellow players, but wanted to get the number he thought he deserved. It's debatable about the three super bowl rings with Brady, as he hasn't won since 2005 and the taping scandal. He actually won some of those rings when he was in the early part of his career before the first big payday he got, and maybe one afterward, I'm not sure. I do agree, they will be in contention again, as will the Ravens.

No I never would have picked the Ravens to win and I am happy for them. But it is one super bowl win, let's wait and see who will be a winner or loser in about 5-10 years.

I never doubted Ozzie, he one of the best and respected GMs in the NFL.

And I would love to think that Flacco can lead this team now that he will get the big bucks. It should be interesting without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed gone and now he is the leader of the team.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Flacco, the guy had a good postseason but they could have easily lost in Denver and probably should have. 

This is Ozzie's second Super Bowl win since 1996, and is right behind sainted New England with three, who have been around since the 1960's. I agree with you it's tough for anyone to win a Super bowl, and it is tough to project out 5-10 years. I agree with your observation about the Denver win, but all teams that win Super Bowls have some kind of luck like the tuck rule game, or the Colts coming from behind to beat the Patriots. Yes, the Ravens got lucky, but they were unlucky in 2011, when Evans dropped the ball, and Cundiff missed a gimmee against the Patriots. I think last year's Ravens team was stronger than the one that won the Super Bowl, and I think they matched up better against the Giants than NE, and would have won that Super Bowl.

I do believe the window closed this year on many of those Raven's players, and that particular core . You hope when you reach that stage, you at least get a Super Bowl. The Ravens offense is in much better shape than the defense. The defense has to get younger, and get better up the middle, or it will be back to the Testaverde days in the late 90's. They need another good tackle to help Ngata, and obviously need inside linebacker help. If they lose Ellerbe, they need to draft well. They have McClain, but he is coming off a dangerous spine bruise. With 13.9 million under the cap, Ozzie does have some wiggle room, but this draft is critical for the Ravens.

The bias wasn't with you, I was talking about the national media, ESPN, in general. My point about Brady is he had two paydays, then basically restructured his at the end to get more guaranteed money, but at a lower rate. The media goes crazy lauding Brady, but says nothing about Flacco getting 6.8 million in 2013, 14.3 in 2014, and 14.5 in 2015. In all fairness, Joe did look out for the Ravens and his fellow players, but wanted to get the number he thought he deserved. It's debatable about the three super bowl rings with Brady, as he hasn't won since 2005 and the taping scandal. He actually won some of those rings when he was in the early part of his career before the first big payday he got, and maybe one afterward, I'm not sure. I do agree, they will be in contention again, as will the Ravens.

I will give Joe Cool a lot of credit for standing up for Boldin in front of the media believing that he shouldn't have to take a pay cut and rightfully shouldn't with his huge role last year.

Correct, they haven't won since 2005 and the taping scandal, and I personally think that window has shut for the Pats, unless they can sign another big name or get another big name to help Brady. 

The Ravens will definitely be in contention for another Super Bowl, but it really does come down to luck. I see them as the 2007 Giants. They win the Super Bowl for their retiring franchise player and lose some players due to restrictions on salary cap and other contracts. 4 years later they are back and win another one, so it could very well happen with the Ravens.

This is Ozzie's second Super Bowl win since 1996, and is right behind sainted New England with three, who have been around since the 1960's. I agree with you it's tough for anyone to win a Super bowl, and it is tough to project out 5-10 years. I agree with your observation about the Denver win, but all teams that win Super Bowls have some kind of luck like the tuck rule game, or the Colts coming from behind to beat the Patriots. Yes, the Ravens got lucky, but they were unlucky in 2011, when Evans dropped the ball, and Cundiff missed a gimmee against the Patriots. I think last year's Ravens team was stronger than the one that won the Super Bowl, and I think they matched up better against the Giants than NE, and would have won that Super Bowl.

I do believe the window closed this year on many of those Raven's players, and that particular core . You hope when you reach that stage, you at least get a Super Bowl. The Ravens offense is in much better shape than the defense. The defense has to get younger, and get better up the middle, or it will be back to the Testaverde days in the late 90's. They need another good tackle to help Ngata, and obviously need inside linebacker help. If they lose Ellerbe, they need to draft well. They have McClain, but he is coming off a dangerous spine bruise. With 13.9 million under the cap, Ozzie does have some wiggle room, but this draft is critical for the Ravens.

I will give all the credit in the world to Ozzie, the guy is a genius and knows how to draft. He is also very loyal to his franchise players and will do whatever it takes to keep them. And yes they were unlucky in the past but they made up for it this past season thanks to big plays by Jacoby Jones (who I thought should have been Super Bowl MVP but that is a different discussion for a different time).

The team rallied around Lewis which as a Hurricane's fan was good to see him go out on top, and even with Reed having his injury concerns, I would take him over most safeties in the league. This draft is very critical for the Ravens and it will be interesting selecting from the 32nd spot to see who will rise and fall in that draft.

Bradys contract had Nothing to do with the super bowls. The patriots won their rings before Brady got his first big contract. They haven't won one since

double post