Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which FA(s) will the Colts "Overpay"?

Smonroe

So, it's safe to say that after re-signing our FAs that we want to keep, and allow for rookie contracts, we'll have at least $30 - 35M to spend on FAs.  

We know that there are several teams with as much or more.  Most have a lot of the same primary needs - O line and DBs.

It's reasonable to assume that teams will overpay for players.  What position or player do you think Grigs will "overpay"?

Ed Reed seems to be the leading candidate.

EDIT: With names for OP

I am a strong believer in the idea of us paying top dollar for one of the bigger names of CBs. Not sure who we would land but I would put money on it! Davis paired up with a big name FA CB would help redefine this team as a contender. Since Grigs is from Philly I would put my money on DRC. That is my name for now.

We are playing some tough divisions next season so CB and O-line have got to be taken care of.

How nice would it be to get a FA CB and draft one of the top CB coming in this season. Not saying that is the course of action we are going to take but... if Grigs likes to make trades this would be an easy way to create some leverage... I would only try this if the O-line gets what it needs in FA.

If San Diego lets Vasquez get away, the Colts will probably get into a bidding war. Part of his early appeal was that he would have been a cheaper option than Levitre, but looking at the FA guard group, he might have some leverage...

I think that there is a good chance that the F.O. overpays for a corner, even though there are a lot of decent guys that probably be available, there are injury and/or character concerns with most of them... examples of guys that we shouldn't overpay include: Namdi, Williams, and DRC...

So we're only going to get the players that no one else wants?

Overpay only relates to value returned to the team.

If your circumstance leads a player to have more value to your team than another team, you can pay that player more and not overpay.  I don't believe a player has the same value to every team.

Considering Need, talent, age, I would not miss out on Vasquez.

And I really like Krugers versatilty, size, talent, age.

Both those guys should be Rock steady if you have to pay them for 5 years.

William Moore at Safety sounds like a winner for us. He actually intercepts passes!! If Mathis is worth $6M?????

Overpay only relates to value returned to the team.

If your circumstance leads a player to have more value to your team than another team, you can pay that player more and not overpay.  I don't believe a player has the same value to every team.

Well said, but I have to disagree.  For example, Andre Smith would have the same value to the Bengals as to any other team looking for an OT.  The Bengals have the cap space, but are notorious for not "overpaying" for a player.

BTW, thanks for the quote.  I think...

With all the Bengal history of LOSING, I would propose that they are More notorious for not Paying their players.

Though not really following them these last many years, I don`t have an example. A Frugal organization?

Their current Cap space seems to shock most. I know it did/does me. lol

Who cares tho, WE are now in Position to really advance ourselves. Glad they drafted Zeitler last year! haha!

I don`t think we will sign Reed either.

It wouldn`t cause ANY problem signing longer term players that you want because you WOULD sign such a player if you could get him, BEFORE you would sign Reed, as a NICE Improvement & a Short Term fix. We might actually get an Interception from a Safety!!!

I don`t think we will sign Reed either.

It wouldn`t cause ANY problem signing longer term players that you want because you WOULD sign such a player if you could get him, BEFORE you would sign Reed, as a NICE Improvement & a Short Term fix. We might actually get an Interception from a Safety!!!

See, this is what I don't get. Of course it will cause problems from signing others. Reed isn't going to play for the vet min. or anything even remotely close to it. He's going to want a big chunk of change and that prevents the team from signing players that can actually contribute for much longer than Reed will. If we sign a safety, it should be one that is much younger.

Who even knows? We haven't even signed anyone yet. Even if they sign Ed Reed it will only be for a one or two year deal. They are not going to break the bank for his services. It's possible we'll get Kruger, but who knows because there are teams like the Browns looking for his services as well. They could offer him a sweeter deal than we are willing too. Too early to tell on this stuff.

If we are going to overpay then I feel 4 things at the very least should be required

1.Player must 30 or younger (I dont want it to be any short term overpaid deals)

2.Must have a history of production and not just 1 year 

3.He must not have any history of drama and if he does it must clearly be behind him and he must show he has matured ALOT since then

4.The signing must add a dimension to the team that was not there before

Based on the criteria above I'd go with Laron Landry or William Moore 

Well said, but I have to disagree.  For example, Andre Smith would have the same value to the Bengals as to any other team looking for an OT.  The Bengals have the cap space, but are notorious for not "overpaying" for a player.

BTW, thanks for the quote.  I think...

So if the Saints release Drew Brees, he's have the same value to us as the Browns and we're going to offer the same amount?

And to your point about the Bengals, I would disagree; they're notorious for not "paying" for a player rather than not "overpaying" for a player (or simply put, they are "cheap").

I did not say that, I said we are not going to over pay for a FA.

Admittedly it's a subjective question, but one that will be answered in less than a month.

Here's my definition, and I'm not saying it's the only one: You overpay for a FA if his team offers him less and his cost is near the franchise tag number.

For example, if we pay Ed Reed $6.5m I think we're over paying for him. I also think he'll get that from somebody.

Does that definition make sense? If not, someone please correct me.

So if the Saints release Drew Brees, he's have the same value to us as the Browns and we're going to offer the same amount?

And to your point about the Bengals, I would disagree; they're notorious for not "paying" for a player rather than not "overpaying" for a player (or simply put, they are "cheap").

I'm having a hard time trying to follow your example. Obviously the Browns would value Brees more than us because we don't have the same need. But he'd have the same value to any team looking for a star QB.

BTW, I was just being polite in my description of the Bengals.

I don't know why you think we've got 30-35 million to spend on FA's.    I don't think we've got that kind of money at all.

Our current cap figure is $43 Mill, that's per NFL.com.

I figure we won't spend more than $40.    And that includes re-signing our own players,  signing our draft picks, and, of course, FA's.    

I'm not sure we'll spend more than roughly $26-28 Mill...   and that may be on the high side...

As to who?     I'd say the positions that are typically most in demand....

OL...  OLB...  CB...      or, positions where there may not be much depth (law of supply and demand)   so DB's...   DL's...

I don't know why you think we've got 30-35 million to spend on FA's.    I don't think we've got that kind of money at all.

Our current cap figure is $43 Mill, that's per NFL.com.

I figure we won't spend more than $40.    And that includes re-signing our own players,  signing our draft picks, and, of course, FA's.    

I'm not sure we'll spend more than roughly $26-28 Mill...   and that may be on the high side...

As to who?     I'd say the positions that are typically most in demand....

OL...  OLB...  CB...      or, positions where there may not be much depth (law of supply and demand)   so DB's...   DL's...

You could be right if we go on the low side, that's why I said between 30-35.

I know that the 90% floor is based over a four year period.  So it's possible we won't spend even 80% as long as we spend more in the next three years.  For the purposes of this thread, I don't want to get wrapped up in that numbers game.

For the sake of this discussion, I just wanted to know what FAs people think we'd 'overpay' for.  Personally, I'd rather outbid teams for O linemen.

bowe but people hear keep telling me to stop dreaming. LET ME DREAM!!!!!!!! haha

Im just going under the assumption that he will be resigned honestly because with what production they have got out of all of there other wr's not resigning Bowe when he is only 27 (especially when you consider there QB issue) then John Dorsey the Chiefs GM has both feet in the grave and all thats left is for Clark Hunt (The Chiefs Owner)  to bury him, It would be John Dorseys funeral

William Moore and Vasquez I'd go big for. That would help fix a lot of problems and still leave us with quite a bit of money left for people like Arthur Jones or someone like that.

There is good CB value in the draft in the late first or early second, Rhodes, Banks etc would be excellent #2 CBs opposite Davis.

If I'm overpaying I'm doing on guards and safety's where they're still relatively cheaper than overpaying a WR or CB. Overpay a guard and a safety and still have money left over for lower end FAs.

William Moore and Vasquez I'd go big for. That would help fix a lot of problems and still leave us with quite a bit of money left for people like Arthur Jones or someone like that.

There is good CB value in the draft in the late first or early second, Rhodes, Banks etc would be excellent #2 CBs opposite Davis.

If I'm overpaying I'm doing on guards and safety's where they're still relatively cheaper than overpaying a WR or CB. Overpay a guard and a safety and still have money left over for lower end FAs.

Yeah, I agree.  The draft has a lot of good defensive players and protecting the franchise should be the main objective in free agency IMHO.

Grigs is on record saying they won't break the bank unless everyone agrees that player is a must have.  I don't think there's any one player out there that fits that description.  

Yeah, I agree. The draft has a lot of good defensive players and protecting the franchise should be the main objective in free agency IMHO.

Grigs is on record saying they won't break the bank unless everyone agrees that player is a must have. I don't think there's any one player out there that fits that description.

The more expensive free agent positions (CBs, OLBs) are deep in the draft so I feel we would have more overall talent in our team to pick up a top level guard (or two) and top level safety and draft corners and OLBs.

Admittedly it's a subjective question, but one that will be answered in less than a month.

Here's my definition, and I'm not saying it's the only one: You overpay for a FA if his team offers him less and his cost is near the franchise tag number.

For example, if we pay Ed Reed $6.5m I think we're over paying for him. I also think he'll get that from somebody.

Does that definition make sense? If not, someone please correct me.

I agree with what you said and add this: do not what to pay elite or even good rates for a 1 year wonder.

That is also the problem with the draft.

If we are going to overpay then I feel 4 things at the very least should be required

1.Player must 30 or younger (I dont want it to be any short term overpaid deals)

2.Must have a history of production and not just 1 year 

3.He must not have any history of drama and if he does it must clearly be behind him and he must show he has matured ALOT since then

4.The signing must add a dimension to the team that was not there before

Based on the criteria above I'd go with Laron Landry or William

Excellent points!!!  With that said, I think we'll end up paying too much for Kruger just because I've only seen him produce 1 year.  Not saying he's not going to earn, just that he is a product of one good year so far