Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which FA(s) will the Colts "Overpay"?

Smonroe

Yea, I agree let's get this started off by resigning McAfee and some of our other free agents, then they can concentrate on other teams free agents.  

Offensive line, Corner back or Defensive line, I would not break the bank on one guy but if I had to it would be for O line as we need to protect our franchise QB.

I think the Colts will get into a bidding war with other teams for Collie :headspin:

Of course the bidding war won't be over "signing" him....it will be a gambling bet on how many minutes he's on the field before he's injured again this coming year.

This little "smiley face" dude makes me think of Austin Collie after a catch :excited:

I understood the thread as we're guesstimating who Grigson will overpay, not our preference. My guess is Kruger, though I don't like it. 

You're correct about the thread.  But I don't mean it to be a put down of our management.  We WILL have to over pay to get the better talent.  Simple supply and demand.

I'd rather pay more money for Kruger than Reed because of their ages.  However, I prefer spending more money on the O line.

All of them. Cause we are signing everyone. :cheer2:

We are gonna win not one.....not two, not three championships........ :number1:

Just kidding. I don't know.

It does seem like the stars are aligning to sign someone from Baltimore though. Maybe....... :applause:  :highfive:We don't know who the Colts have "serious" interest in.

I dont think Grigson will overpay for any player. If he does not see solid value for a particular FA, he will spend the money on our players, even renegotiating contracts for future benefits in a better FA/draft market.

I am not sure where this opinion that over 35 large is going to be spent on FA's this off-season. I will be totally shocked if it is.

I dont think Grigson will overpay for any player. If he does not see solid value for a particular FA, he will spend the money on our players, even renegotiating contracts for future benefits in a better FA/draft market.

I am not sure where this opinion that over 35 large is going to be spent on FA's this off-season. I will be totally shocked if it is.

If he spends what's required by the CBA on our players then he's WAY overpaying.

All of them. Cause we are signing everyone. :cheer2:

We are gonna win not one.....not two, not three championships........ :number1:

Just kidding. I don't know.

It does seem like the stars are aligning to sign someone from Baltimore though. Maybe....... :applause: :highfive:We don't know who the Colts have "serious" interest in.

sssh don't tell them but we are stealing their team again just one peace at time this time to make it less suspicious this time...

That a joke just for the record.

That is the problem with free agency. To sign other teams good young players you are going to end up over paying somewhat because you are more or less in a bidding war with other teams. The trick is to not turn a five million a year guy into a ten million a year guy and to know when it gets too rich for your blood and resist the temptation to bid higher. Generally speaking good GMs have a back up plan if the first option gets too expensive and will just go that rout. The guys tat tend to over spend in a big way normally get stuck on I have to have this guy. I think last year Grigson proved to be more of the first kind of GM when Garçon priced out of what Grigson was comfortable with so then he re-signed Reggie rather than over pay for Garçon.

2 positions i see us "overpaying" for is a #93 replacement, whether that be Kruger, Barwin or Spencer, or a #2 CB again either DRC, I like Antoine Cason from SD as well. Or Nnamdi, im still a big believer in reuniting him with Pagano, for a justifiable contract.

If he spends what's required by the CBA on our players then he's WAY overpaying.

That would be a Polian mistake, overpaying for homegrown talent.

I am certain we get a top or middle tier CB, OG and OLB in free agency. Then, there might be utility pickups from there onwards, IMO.

That would be a Polian mistake, overpaying for homegrown talent.

I am certain we get a top or middle tier CB, OG and OLB in free agency. Then, there might be utility pickups from there onwards, IMO.

I think Warhorse was kidding about paying our guys with the cap space. Supply and demand overrule sentiment.

Yes, you named the three positions of need, add a S too. I hate to use "if", but if Iljalana or Anderson can get healthy we may have some depth on the Oline.

We should get barwin and move Mathis to the rush backer barwin is much more present in the ruin game than Spencer and Kruger heck Mathis for that matter.. Just my take, that way Mathis who is the superior pass rusher is playing that position and barwin who is the better run stopper is in a position to do that a well as rush the passer which he can do as well

If we are going to overpay then I feel 4 things at the very least should be required

1.Player must 30 or younger (I dont want it to be any short term overpaid deals)

2.Must have a history of production and not just 1 year 

3.He must not have any history of drama and if he does it must clearly be behind him and he must show he has matured ALOT since then

4.The signing must add a dimension to the team that was not there before

Based on the criteria above I'd go with Laron Landry or William Moore 

landry is a FA? we should get him the definately! bethea and landry would be awesome!! but we do need another cb also. but if we can get landry we should get him.

We should get barwin and move Mathis to the rush backer barwin is much more present in the ruin game than Spencer and Kruger heck Mathis for that matter.. Just my take, that way Mathis who is the superior pass rusher is playing that position and barwin who is the better run stopper is in a position to do that a well as rush the passer which he can do as well

Interesting thought. Did he have a bad year in 12, or was 11 unusually good for him? From what I read the Texans aren't going to pay him what he wants. How much is too much?

He's the perfect example of what I was talking about when I started this thread. Someone WILL overpay for him. Maybe us?

Interesting thought. Did he have a bad year in 12, or was 11 unusually good for him? From what I read the Texans aren't going to pay him what he wants. How much is too much?

He's the perfect example of what I was talking about when I started this thread. Someone WILL overpay for him. Maybe us?

i look at it like this, he didn't have a bad year jj just had a highly incredible year. When watt want able to make a play he did but that was rare seeing that watt was everywhere. As far as fiscally we wouldn't pay him based off what he did (or didn't) do last year. Pretty sure Griggs would pay based off our need (which is apparent), and if it would hurt cap space. My opinion we would pay less to get him than Kruger and/ or Spencer and he brings more versatility and better skill set. Kruger and Spencer are great pass rushers but we would be just a ineffective against the run s last year if e had them.. Main point Conner would come cheaper and help our 2nd weakest on defense (pass coverage being #1 ofcourse) which is stopping the run

i look at it like this, he didn't have a bad year jj just had a highly incredible year. When watt want able to make a play he did but that was rare seeing that watt was everywhere. As far as fiscally we wouldn't pay him based off what he did (or didn't) do last year. Pretty sure Griggs would pay based off our need (which is apparent), and if it would hurt cap space. My opinion we would pay less to get him than Kruger and/ or Spencer and he brings more versatility and better skill set. Kruger and Spencer are great pass rushers but we would be just a ineffective against the run s last year if e had them.. Main point Conner would come cheaper and help our 2nd weakest on defense (pass coverage being #1 ofcourse) which is stopping the run

I don`t think you have looked at the records of these players. Spencer EXCELS as a RUN stopper, considerably better than Barwin. Spencer sacks the last 4 years are 6,5,6,11. So do you pay for the 11? Barwin in his 3 years. 3.5, 11.5, 3. Will he be a 5 or 6 guy?

Kruger had as many tackles as Barwin and more sacks & more Passes defended. MORE ROUNDED???

I don`t think you have looked at the records of these players. Spencer EXCELS as a RUN stopper, considerably better than Barwin. Spencer sacks the last 4 years are 6,5,6,11. So do you pay for the 11? Barwin in his 3 years. 3.5, 11.5, 3. Will he be a 5 or 6 guy?

Kruger had as many tackles as Barwin and more sacks & more Passes defended. MORE ROUNDED???

actually no im not a stat guy but i can appreciate the ones you provided just going of what i saw when i watched these three . So you have me on that but my personal opinion is Barwin is the best fit for us but i won't loose any sleep of we get any of the three

actually no im not a stat guy but i can appreciate the ones you provided just going of what i saw when i watched these three . So you have me on that but my personal opinion is Barwin is the best fit for us but i won't loose any sleep of we get any of the three

Barwin would definitely have the smallest price tag, but he's not as good as Anthony Spencer. And I think Kruger is a much better pass rusher, and better against the run.

Barwin would definitely have the smallest price tag, but he's not as good as Anthony Spencer. And I think Kruger is a much better pass rusher, and better against the run.

well i would want the player that would be more cap friendly so we could get more oline help or maybe secondary. I mean the guy is a beast so it isn't like were signing some camp fodder. Again not against those guys just Believe he's a better compliment to Mathis

well i would want the player that would be more cap friendly so we could get more oline help or maybe secondary. I mean the guy is a beast so it isn't like were signing some camp fodder. Again not against those guys just Believe he's a better compliment to Mathis

I would want the best player, and I don't think that's Barwin. I certainly wouldn't call him "a beast." He would be a welcome addition, but I think Spencer and Kruger are better.

We have plenty of cap space, and in pro sports, you pay for high quality players. If management thinks the talent gap between Barwin and Spencer or Kruger is negligible, then it makes a ton of sense to sign the less expensive player. But if they do see a significant gap between Barwin and the others, then I get the feeling that they'll pursue the better players and figure the cap ramifications out along the way. But you don't avoid good players because they cost more money.

I would want the best player, and I don't think that's Barwin. I certainly wouldn't call him "a beast." He would be a welcome addition, but I think Spencer and Kruger are better.

We have plenty of cap space, and in pro sports, you pay for high quality players. If management thinks the talent gap between Barwin and Spencer or Kruger is negligible, then it makes a ton of sense to sign the less expensive player. But if they do see a significant gap between Barwin and the others, then I get the feeling that they'll pursue the better players and figure the cap ramifications out along the way. But you don't avoid good players because they cost more money.

It's going to be very interesting, and things may happen pretty fast.  I'd love to see our FA value board.

I'm looking more forward to March 12 than April 25.  

They may now overpay for Sean Smith as he will not be franchise tagged by the Dolphins.

I can't see how they let him go.  They have plenty of money.  This is from the Phinsider:

"The team chose Smith over Vontae Davis last year, and now losing Smith would only compound the inability to cover wide receivers the team already has. Smith is inconsistent at best, being able to shut down some of the game's best wide outs one week, only to get torched repeatedly the next week. It is hard to see him as a "franchise" player, but the team could hit him with the tag, then try to negotiate a deal with a lower salary cap number."

It's going to be very interesting, and things may happen pretty fast.  I'd love to see our FA value board.

I'm looking more forward to March 12 than April 25.  

Absolutely. Last year's first round was anti-climatic for Colts fans, since we knew who the pick was going to be well in advance. And since there's only one round on the first day of the draft, we're really looking at a two hour wait just to know who we're taking. I like the draft, and I like pre-draft anticipation, but this year I'm not all that excited about it. Not yet, at least. Maybe that's because I expect us to do most of our damage in free agency for a change.