Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts looking at Jennings

bobourret

I know this will make a lot of people mad on this forum because they hate when we talk about adding WR's 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport mentions the Rams, Colts, Vikings, and Dolphins as potential landing spots for free agent Greg Jennings.

The Rams, Colts, and Vikings are new teams to be linked to Jennings, but the Dolphins have long been associated with the 29-year-old. "All other 31 teams are an option," Jennings said Wednesday. Jennings won't approach Vincent Jackson money (five years, $55 million), but he could command $7-9 million a year from a receiver-needy club. He can also play in the slot and outside, making Jennings more appealing to teams that like "move" receivers.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get mad.  You can never have too many good receivers.  Remember Peyton's last season playing for us?  We thought we were set at receiver and everyone got injured.  Our practice squad became our receiving core.  If he could be gotten for $7-9, I would take him. 

Earlier I thought we are set at WR, but Avery isn't sure-handed, and I'm not sure he would be resigned. Jannings could be a good fit, however I would rather see a physical, tall WR who is able to make catches even if passing routes are flooded (I think that's the reason why Andrew's passes were high at times).

So at the right price he could add talent to our wideout corps.

I know this will make a lot of people mad on this forum because they hate when we talk about adding WR's 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport mentions the Rams, Colts, Vikings, and Dolphins as potential landing spots for free agent Greg Jennings.

The Rams, Colts, and Vikings are new teams to be linked to Jennings, but the Dolphins have long been associated with the 29-year-old. "All other 31 teams are an option," Jennings said Wednesday. Jennings won't approach Vincent Jackson money (five years, $55 million), but he could command $7-9 million a year from a receiver-needy club. He can also play in the slot and outside, making Jennings more appealing to teams that like "move" receivers.

Lol id say we"re anything but reciever needy,especially at that price

I'd actually like Jennings on the team.  Maybe he's expensive, but we have the money, and he's not a head case like a lot of WRs.  It would take pressure off us in terms of drafting WRs, because he's younger than Wayne we could afford to take more project WRs late in the draft or as UDFAs instead of spending first or second round picks on WRs, because even if it doesn't pan out right away we know Jennings can be a #1.  And he'd be an improvement over Avery, certainly.

This is pure speculation IMO. Aren't teams even restricted about talking about other players until they officially become free agents in March. This would be considered tampering and I know teams do it, but letting it out to the media would be pretty stupid. 

IMO  offensive lineman are a much higher priority,if this offense is to reach its potential,and you also need to look at our new OCs style to see if a player fits

I agree. We already have several guys on the roster just like Jennings and they are all much younger. This doesn't make sense IMO and is the reason why I think this is just a media guy putting out false information and as I already said....pure speculation.

First off we dont have "many" wrs like him. We have one great wr and one solid in ty. Other than that we have nothing that shouldnt be replaced. Brazill? Average. Whalen? Hasnt played a down yet. So we are not "set" at wr. And this fascination with big physical guys. Ask reggie and mavin how big you gotta be to set offensive records.

I agree. We already have several guys on the roster just like Jennings and they are all much younger. This doesn't make sense IMO and is the reason why I think this is just a media guy putting out false information and as I already said....pure speculation.

Exactly my Freind cant see them spending that kinda money,when we have the core we do,IMO its some sports guru trying to draw attention to themselves

There is nothing concrete to support that the "Colts are interested in Jennings" other than some person . Ian Rapport, concluding that it's a possibility. 

Yep, sounds like a way to drive up his price. I doubt the Colts want to spend big money on an older WR who was recently injured.

Yep, sounds like a way to drive up his price. I doubt the Colts want to spend big money on an older WR who was recently injured.

They already invested a 4 draft picks in receivers for Luck in the 2012 draft. Plus we have Whalen and possibly Collie to add to the 2013 mix. Even without resigning Avery , I just don't think WR warrents a big portion of our free agent money. Taking it one step further , if we do need to add a WR of note to the mix , I would hope for a far bigger WR than Jennings.

They already invested a 4 draft picks in receivers for Luck in the 2012 draft. Plus we have Whalen and possibly Collie to add to the 2013 mix. Even without resigning Avery , I just don't think WR warrents a big portion of our free agent money. Taking it one step further , if we do need to add a WR of note to the mix , I would hope for a far bigger WR than Jennings.

Agree. I won't complain if we sign Bowe, as long as we address the Oline and DB needs too. But I'm happy with the guys on our roster. Whalen, Palmer, and maybe Collie can fill out the roster just fine.

Unfortunately, there's not much on the FA market in terms of a tall, physical WR. Honestly, IF the colts are going to spend 7-9 mil for any of the WR's available, I would like it to be Harvin. I know he's had his issues with Frazier, but that guy is finally starting to live up to his potential as a WR, rather than just an athlete. I know he's all Minnesota had, but his ability to get open is impressive. He's not exactly a "small" guy either....If he could stay healthy and had someone better than "Ponder" throwing him the ball, I can see him being a top WR in the league. Whereas, I feel Jennings is good, but somewhat a product of Rodgers and that offense....

This is pure speculation IMO. Aren't teams even restricted about talking about other players until they officially become free agents in March. This would be considered tampering and I know teams do it, but letting it out to the media would be pretty stupid. 

This hardly even qualifies for speculation. When a guy from ESPN says "possible landing spots" and lists 5-6 teams that pretty much for sure means these are teams that would make sense. Sometimes it can be pretty stupid stuff . IMO , even stuff from a "beat writter" has more to it than something like this. At least there you have the possibility that somone on the staff leaked a little info to a writter he's friendly with. You probably know more about the Colts than Ian Rapport does , so draw your own conclusions on the Colts going after Jennings. I would say they will spend their money on Offensive Line , CB , Safety , DE and DT. Now is they still have bucks left over (LOL) , they will opt for a big WR. 

Of course he would be a great pickup. But strictly speaking WR, for 7-9 mil who else could you get instead? Harvin? Bowe? Wallace?

Just curious what the forum thinks these other guys will go for....

Bowe and Wallace would probably go for more than that, probably in the 10-12 range at least.  Harvin is an unknown at this point because of the Vikings situation, and I wouldn't trade for him, because we would have to give up too much relative to what we know we can find in free agency.

Besides, we have a solid receiving corps, and we're essentially looking to supplement it and provide a bridge between Wayne and the future at the position.  Jennings fits that need.  I can guarantee that a couple of teams with downright bad receiving corps are going to shell out a LOT of money for Bowe and Wallace with the idea that doing so will solve all their problems at receiver.  Jennings may not be as electrifying as those guys, but he's got his head on straight, he'd fit with our team, he's at an age where he has experience but should still be productive for years to come, and he'll probably be decent value relative to the other top guys on the market.  Basically, I don't think the short term difference between Jennings and those other guys is very significant, certainly not in the 3-5 million range, and in terms of the long-term difference, I think there will be better options down the line in the next few years than the somewhat unreliable (from a mental perspective) Wallace and Bowe.  So, signing Jennings would help us not only next year, but it would alleviate any immediate need to find Wayne's successor, allowing us to look for value at WR and perhaps find a diamond in the rough, rather than overpaying the first guy who comes along who looks like he can be a #1 WR because of the fear Wayne will retire and leave us with Hilton, Whalen, and Brazill as our 1-3 WRs.

This hardly even qualifies for speculation. When a guy from ESPN says "possible landing spots" and lists 5-6 teams that pretty much for sure means these are teams that would make sense. Sometimes it can be pretty stupid stuff . IMO , even stuff from a "beat writter" has more to it than something like this. At least there you have the possibility that somone on the staff leaked a little info to a writter he's friendly with. You probably know more about the Colts than Ian Rapport does , so draw your own conclusions on the Colts going after Jennings. I would say they will spend their money on Offensive Line , CB , Safety , DE and DT. Now is they still have bucks left over (LOL) , they will opt for a big WR. 

Your exactly right in this statement,although I like Harvin real well i know its not happening,its really not a weakness IMO,OL on the other hand must be adressed,and we deffinately can use help in some of the other mentioned areas,and i really think they will be priority

Unfortunately, there's not much on the FA market in terms of a tall, physical WR. Honestly, IF the colts are going to spend 7-9 mil for any of the WR's available, I would like it to be Harvin. I know he's had his issues with Frazier, but that guy is finally starting to live up to his potential as a WR, rather than just an athlete. I know he's all Minnesota had, but his ability to get open is impressive. He's not exactly a "small" guy either....If he could stay healthy and had someone better than "Ponder" throwing him the ball, I can see him being a top WR in the league. Whereas, I feel Jennings is good, but somewhat a product of Rodgers and that offense....

I don't think WR will be a priority in free agency or the draft. I was just saying that if we did add one of any significance , I woud hope for a big , physical guy. Bowe would be a free agent that fits that mode. Your righ (IMO)  on liking Harvin better than Jennings , but I don't think the 7-9 mill price tag is right on him. The word is that he's looking for the 10-12 range.

I don't think WR will be a priority in free agency or the draft. I was just saying that if we did add one of any significance , I woud hope for a big , physical guy. Bowe would be a free agent that fits that mode. Your righ (IMO) on liking Harvin better than Jennings , but I don't think the 7-9 mill price tag is right on him. The word is that he's looking for the 10-12 range.

If you are talking about Harvin in your last sentence you better go higher than that. He was quoted as saying that he wants Megatron/Fitzgerald money. He's got a better shot at becoming president before he ever gets a deal similar to those two.

I feel the exact same way. I have said repeatably that IMO people should get over their WR obsession that seems to run rampant on this forum. I agree that IF we do sign a WR in free agency it will be a low level guy that won't require a huge contract. I think Grigson is fairly satisfied with the WR's on the roster and will spend our money much more efficiently and wisely than IMO throwing a ton of it away for a position that isn't a huge need. Yes, we can always use upgrade's but that is a luxury and Luxury spending shouldn't even be in our vocabulary this offseason. That is more for teams that are only a piece or 2 away from a complete roster and we are nowhere near a complete roster at this point in time.

I don't know if we get Jennings or not, but we are certainly NOT in great shape at WR.   Our #2 WR spot is wide open...

suggesting that Whalen, Palmer, or Collie will be our #2 is crazy.  The only WR I see with POSSIBLE potential to play #2 is Brazil.  I hope the 6'5 230lb guy from the arena league is a gem but don't bank on it.

If you are talking about Harvin in your last sentence you better go higher than that. He was quoted as saying that he wants Megatron/Fitzgerald money. He's got a better shot at becoming president before he ever gets a deal similar to those two.

Remember, you don't need everyone to agree that you're worth a ginormous contract.  You just need one team.

I'm sure some GM and/or owner out there will convince themselves he's worth that much money.  Which means he's almost certainly off the table for us.

Probably Bowe too.  Note that the Browns and Dolphins also have a LOT of cap room, and are in worse shape at WR than us.  Don't be surprised to see one of those teams overspend on Bowe to the tune of 12+/year.

I don't think WR will be a priority in free agency or the draft. I was just saying that if we did add one of any significance , I woud hope for a big , physical guy. Bowe would be a free agent that fits that mode. Your righ (IMO)  on liking Harvin better than Jennings , but I don't think the 7-9 mill price tag is right on him. The word is that he's looking for the 10-12 range.

No I agree, I would want a Guy like Bowe too. The problem is, he's pretty much the only significant FA that fits the bill as a tall, physicall WR. Which means he might be the most desired. I didn't know what kind of money Harvin was initially asking for. Thanks for the info. And honestly, he will probably get it. He is the definition of a game changer, and he is turning into a stud WR to boot.....

Dont get me wrong,I like him,but for the money being discussed think we could do better,and IMO we need the big strong type if its to improve our team that much

Oh you dont see TY as a good #2 ?Lol

kinda contradicting...   is TY our #2 or do we need a big strong type #2? 

Ok its your story,but lol he has something size doesnt bring,that would be world class speed not to mention he does have pretty good hands

I wasnt bashing TY in any way... I was just saying he is more of a slot WR.  You know, the kind who need speed and good hands lol