Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper and McShay offer Mock 2.0

And, interestingly enough, by the both have the Colts taking the same player!

Mississippi State CB Johnathon Banks

It's Kiper that acknowledges that the Colts could go various ways, including taking an OL to protect Luck.    And it's Kiper who notes the Colts might be the team to trade back into the 2nd round.

If we did take Banks,  I'd be OK with it, assuming the Colts feel there's a DL or OLB they like that will be there in the 3rd round when they pick (unless they have to trade up in the 3rd to get him)

Need help on the Defensive side.    Must get help there.    Must.   Get.   Help.

By they way,  that Kiper and McShaw agree on this (for now) it should be noted they don't compare.  They're like and respect each other,  but they only find out what the other does when each Mock is posted.    They don't compare notes as they put their mocks together....

I like Banks alot but think he is a high to mid 2nd round pick, he got good size and good Man Cover skills, dont know if he has shut down potential but that would be a solid pick if we traded down

He is the second best CB in the draft. I'd love to get him,

Is Xavier Rhodes considered more of a zone coverage guy? Cause Kiper has him rated as the 2nd best corner, yet he has the Colts selecting Banks ahead of him.

I would have a hard time selecting a cb with John Hankins still on the board which is what Kiper did....but I value up front much more than guys in the secondary.

Interesting....Kiper has John Cooper going to the Chargers ahead of Warmack

Is Xavier Rhodes considered more of a zone coverage guy? Cause Kiper has him rated as the 2nd best corner, yet he has the Colts selecting Banks ahead of him.

I would have a hard time selecting a cb with John Hankins still on the board which is what Kiper did....but I value up front much more than guys in the secondary.

from all i have been reading, rhodes is a man coverage guy and i have heard hes the best coverage corner in the draft, plus hes got size, i would like rhodes as our pick, but dont know how he compares to the other top 2 CBs, but i think millner and banks will both be gone

The only thing that I don't like about Banks is how similar he is to Davis. They're both physical, great tacklers but neither possess great hip flexibility. Either way it would be a great duo but I would prefer two guys with different skill sets.

I like Banks but we need to address the front 7 first. There's plenty of cbs in free agency Mike Jenkins,Talib,DRC,Grimes.  Alex Okafor,Sam Montgomery,or Jonathan Hankins would be better options.

I agree. I actually think if all else fails (Richardson, Ansah, maybe Hankins) we should take Sharrif Floyd from Florida. He played DT AND DE in a 4-3 defense, which evens out to a DE in a 3-4. He's got a high motor and great burst, not to mention bull strength along with quick feet and good recognition. The only thing he needs to work on is some technique, mainly his pad level. But I believe he is a great mid to late 1st round prospect who Pagano's gonna try to talk GM Grigson into grabbing.

Rhodes was almost always in man coverage in the FSU defense. FSU has always been man heavy.

I have 2 things to say about the comments I've been reading on here.

First, yes obviously the Colts need to upgrade their pass rush and if they would improve their pass rush it would automatically make their secondary better, I get that.  But another way to look at it is this, if we have a better secondary that will make our pass rush better, think about it, the QB would have to hold on to the ball a split second longer because he has no one to throw to, allowing our pass rushers to get to him.

And the second thing is the Rhodes vs Banks debate, I am really high on Rhodes and I also like Banks.  But obviously Kiper and Mcshay BOTH think that Banks fits our scheme better and atleast one of them has eluded that he is the second best corner in the draft.  So as much as I like Rhodes (and I know he is a favorite on here), I'm gonna trust the guys who live and breath the draft far more than the rest of us.  So if they think Banks is the better corner and they both like him to come here, I'm going to trust their opinions.

Obviously this is my opinion and you're free to think whatever you want, but theres my two cents.

from all i have been reading, rhodes is a man coverage guy and i have heard hes the best coverage corner in the draft, plus hes got size, i would like rhodes as our pick, but dont know how he compares to the other top 2 CBs, but i think millner and banks will both be gone

Watching our DBs and Safeties over the past few decades...If we go DB/S, then which is LESS injury prone.  We need our players on the field.  

Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks makes most of opportunity, wins Thorpe Award

This is the headline from the Washington Post.  Just think, he has played against college football's National Champion every year he played football.  Florida, Alabama and Auburn.  He is like Ballard, who also went to Miss State, in that he is battle tested.  He is listed at some sites as 6'1" and some as 6'2".  I'm sure Rhodes is good, but I doubt he is as ready for the pros as Banks is.   

I have 2 things to say about the comments I've been reading on here.

First, yes obviously the Colts need to upgrade their pass rush and if they would improve their pass rush it would automatically make their secondary better, I get that.  But another way to look at it is this, if we have a better secondary that will make our pass rush better, think about it, the QB would have to hold on to the ball a split second longer because he has no one to throw to, allowing our pass rushers to get to him.

And the second thing is the Rhodes vs Banks debate, I am really high on Rhodes and I also like Banks.  But obviously Kiper and Mcshay BOTH think that Banks fits our scheme better and atleast one of them has eluded that he is the second best corner in the draft.  So as much as I like Rhodes (and I know he is a favorite on here), I'm gonna trust the guys who live and breath the draft far more than the rest of us.  So if they think Banks is the better corner and they both like him to come here, I'm going to trust their opinions.

Obviously this is my opinion and you're free to think whatever you want, but theres my two cents.

I would rather have a guy getting in the QB's face and hitting him.

And, interestingly enough, by the both have the Colts taking the same player!

Mississippi State CB Johnathon Banks

It's Kiper that acknowledges that the Colts could go various ways, including taking an OL to protect Luck.    And it's Kiper who notes the Colts might be the team to trade back into the 2nd round.

If we did take Banks,  I'd be OK with it, assuming the Colts feel there's a DL or OLB they like that will be there in the 3rd round when they pick (unless they have to trade up in the 3rd to get him)

Need help on the Defensive side.    Must get help there.    Must.   Get.   Help.

By they way,  that Kiper and McShaw agree on this (for now) it should be noted they don't compare.  They're like and respect each other,  but they only find out what the other does when each Mock is posted.    They don't compare notes as they put their mocks together....

This guy is more polished, and more physical than Jonathan Banks. Better pick to me!

Some of the things he does remind me of Vontae. May even be better in man coverage than Davis.

http://youtu.be/4Jdhu0wefeA

This guy is more polished, and more physical than Jonathan Banks. Better pick to me!

Some of the things he does remind me of Vontae. May even be better in man coverage than Davis.

http://youtu.be/4Jdhu0wefeA

First tape that I have seen of Rhodes also.  He gets his head around well and lays out to get a hand on the ball.  NFL receivers will not be so easy to detect when the ball is getting close but good coaching will help this.  I like what I see.

First tape that I have seen of Rhodes also.  He gets his head around well and lays out to get a hand on the ball.  NFL receivers will not be so easy to detect when the ball is getting close but good coaching will help this.  I like what I see.

Trust me! He'll transition to the NFL with not much problem. He's faced many of the top receivers in college football and done well. He's been on Michael Floyd, Sammy Watkins from Clemson, Alshon Jeffrey, and several others. Kid is big, great speed and a heck of a cover corner.

Trust me! He'll transition to the NFL with not much problem. He's faced many of the top receivers in college football and done well. He's been on Michael Floyd, Sammy Watkins from Clemson, Alshon Jeffrey, and several others. Kid is big, great speed and a heck of a cover corner.

Banks is a senior.  He has playing so long that he had a pick six against Tim Tebow.  Think about how many great SEC teams there have been in the last 4 years and Banks has faced them.  For him to win the Jim Thorpe Award while playing against the BEST competition in the country says a lot about him.  So, Trust me, BAnks will transition to the NFL with even less problems.  

He hasn't faced as many as Banks though so that is not good enough a reason to pick him over banks.

What did Banks do against those players? Off the top of my head I know banks didn't do too well against Quinton Patton form La. Tech. Alshon Jeffrey did well against Banks as well. Rhodes is better than Banks in man coverage, bigger than Banks(6'2" and 215 pounds), and more physical. Rhodes is playing at Florida State, he's certainly had his fair share of top level competition.

I wouldn't be upset if we picked Banks because there are things about him I do like, but I think Rhodes is the better prospect.

"Tight ends Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz are always a legitimate option, too, but one player intrigues me a bit more: cornerback Xavier Rhodes. Mocking the Draft has him going 28th overall, and in their scouting report they compare him to Ladarius Webb

Conclusion: Xavier Rhodes should come off the board in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He's going to be best suited lining up in press-man coverage. He's got all of the physical tools to be a very effective cornerback in the NFL. If he can continue to stay healthy and improve his play recognition, Rhodes could end up being the best cornerback in this class. He has true shutdown potential."

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/21/3899268/nfl-mock-draft-2013-johnthan-banks-or-xavier-rhodes

What I think will be interesting is that we will have that coveted mid 20's draft pick. That is the spot I think where you see other teams trade back into the first rd for that qb prospect like Barkley or Glennon or Wilson. There really isn't that big qb class here that has stand out talent but somebody will jump back into the first rd and it would be nice for the Colts to trade back. Not only did we lose some draft picks with our trades and last yrs draft but there is always some great players that fall into the second rd like Upshaw and Jenkins last yr. We made hay last year in rounds 3-5 if you ask me and I wouldn't mind getting some more of those picks.

What I think will be interesting is that we will have that coveted mid 20's draft pick. That is the spot I think where you see other teams trade back into the first rd for that qb prospect like Barkley or Glennon or Wilson. There really isn't that big qb class here that has stand out talent but somebody will jump back into the first rd and it would be nice for the Colts to trade back. Not only did we lose some draft picks with our trades and last yrs draft but there is always some great players that fall into the second rd like Upshaw and Jenkins last yr. We made hay last year in rounds 3-5 if you ask me and I wouldn't mind getting some more of those picks.

Great post!

I'm hoping and praying that teams pass on QB's in the first.    I'd expect one to go before us, but I hope not more.   That will put a premium on teams that want to trade back into the first round.   KC, Philly, Ari, Buffalo and I'm sure others as well.

I think the Colts would be a prime target/partner for trading up and down.   A perfect fit.

If QB's fall in the first round,  that's good for Indy.   The more that fall,  the better it is for the Colts!    

Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks makes most of opportunity, wins Thorpe Award

This is the headline from the Washington Post.  Just think, he has played against college football's National Champion every year he played football.  Florida, Alabama and Auburn.  He is like Ballard, who also went to Miss State, in that he is battle tested.  He is listed at some sites as 6'1" and some as 6'2".  I'm sure Rhodes is good, but I doubt he is as ready for the pros as Banks is.   

Regardless of which CB we select, it would be great to get one who could give us two high quality starters at the position.  Much fewer possibilities of mismatches that way.  We need an upgrade at safety as well.