Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean Smith

Peytonparker

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew someone was going to say that, but he still has a lot to prove in my mind. He did ok late in the season.

Late in this season when he became healthy (including the playoff game), he was as close to a shut down corner as you can get.

He played at an elite level. Yes, at the beginning of the year he struggled, but part of that could have been because of injury. Who knows, we'll find out next year...

I think we need to forget Smith. He's seeking 8-10 million per season and he isn't worth that at all. Not even close IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/sean-smith-wants-a-brandon-carr-or-jason-mccourty-contract/

Int the words of our forum friend Princeton Tiger..."Agreed"

I was even going to say "Not Even Close..." but you already did Balzer...spot on!! :thmup:

Lol i want a secondary that is feared,not just secondary but the whole D

I have longed for that for many yrs.. We haven't ever had a defense here that would be feared by anybody. The younger Indy fans all want to keep adding weapons for Luck, but I want the trenches to be feared on both sides of the ball. An o-line that knocks ya 5 yds. past the line of scrimmage and a d-line that punishes the opponents o-line. Man, I hope one day we have have that here.

I have longed for that for many yrs.. We haven't ever had a defense here that would be feared by anybody. The younger Indy fans all want to keep adding weapons for Luck, but I want the trenches to be feared on both sides of the ball. An o-line that knocks ya 5 yds. behind the line of scrimmage and a d-line that punishes the opponents o-line. Man, I hope one day we have have that here.

Lol your preachin to the chior Brother :worthy:  :spit:

I think we need to forget Smith. He's seeking 8-10 million per season and he isn't worth that at all. Not even close IMO.

I have to disagree. His size and coverage skills are very good. He just needs to be put back into system he's familiar with and that's as a press corner. He and Vontae are both worth that a year. Give him time with Pagano and he will prove that much like Vontae did towards the end of the year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/sean-smith-wants-a-brandon-carr-or-jason-mccourty-contract/

I have to disagree. His size and coverage skills are very good. He just needs to be put back into system he's familiar with and that's as a press corner. He and Vontae are both worth that a year. Give him time with Pagano and he will prove that much like Vontae did towards the end of the year.

I think the guy is a good CB, but I do not believe he's worth close to 8 million a year.  5-6 million would be OK.

I think the guy is a good CB, but I do not believe he's worth close to 8 million a year. 5-6 million would be OK.

8mil is a bargain for him. Cary Williams wants 8mil a year and to me he's no where near the talent of Smith plus he's ~4 years older. We need a GOOD corner opposite Vontae, not an average or Vaughn type DB who QB's are going to look at and pick on. We'd actually have a corner who could match up with Andre Johnson and other big receivers. 6'3 210 DB's, who are actually good, are very few and far between.

Superman did a contract for Kruger at 8mil/yr that was very cap friendly. One similar could be easily done for Smith as well.

8mil is a bargain for him. Cary Williams wants 8mil a year and to me he's no where near the talent of Smith plus he's ~4 years older. We need a GOOD corner opposite Vontae, not an average or Vaughn type DB who QB's are going to look at and pick on. We'd actually have a corner who could match up with Andre Johnson and other big receivers. 6'3 210 DB's, who are actually good, are very few and far between.

Superman did a contract for Kruger at 8mil/yr that was very cap friendly. One similar could be easily done for Smith as well.

I wouldn't say there is that much difference in talent between Williams and Smith. Plus Williams just turned 28 less than 2 months ago and Smith will be 26 in July so their age difference isn't 4 yrs. Even the article I posted said smith would be lucky to get that type of money so I don't think 8 million would be a bargain. If we spent 8 mil on Smith and 8 mil on Kruger then we spent 16 mil and haven't even began to address our biggest need(O-line) to protect our franchise QB. Yeah we have a bunch of money, but if we start throwing out that kind of money for guys it won't last long. I would like to have the guy, but I think he'll be lucky to get that kind of money from anybody.

BTW, here's an article you ought to read. Here's part of the article.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21675854/how-much-will-dolphins-cb-sean-smith-command-on-the-market

But here's the problem: Smith ranked as the 76th-best cornerback in the league this year, according to Pro Football Focus (he was even worse in 2011, ranking 105th out of 109 cornerbacks). Salguero points out that Smith performed admirably on Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald and Cincinnati's A.J. Green early in the season, but after that, Smith had nothing.

More from the Herald:

I didn't know what to make of Smith after the season so I asked two former Dolphins receivers about him. I asked them to compare Smith to former Miami cornerback Vontae Davis. Both players said the same thing.

"I'd much rather go against Sean than Vontae," one said. "Vontae is a pain in the [butt]. He gets his hands on you, he holds, he grabs, he gets away with stuff that nobody sees. Sean is just easier. He's fast as hell. But he guesses a lot and a lot of time he guesses wrong."

I may have been giving too much credit to Smith in the 1st place. He may not be in Cary Williams zip code.

I wouldn't say there is that much difference in talent between Williams and Smith. Plus Williams just turned 28 less than 2 months ago and Smith will be 26 in July so their age difference isn't 4 yrs. Even the article I posted said smith would be lucky to get that type of money so I don't think 8 million would be a bargain. If we spent 8 mil on Smith and 8 mil on Kruger then we spent 16 mil and haven't even began to address our biggest need(O-line) to protect our franchise QB. Yeah we have a bunch of money, but if we start throwing out that kind of money for guys it won't last long. I would like to have the guy, but I think he'll be lucky to get that kind of money from anybody.

I misread Williams' age then I thought he was 29. I also won't put much merit into what was said about Smith this year based off that article. Miami changed defensive schemes and went away from a heavy man coverage scheme to more of a zone scheme. That's one of the main reasons why the Dolphins are letting Smith go to FA and much of the reason why the Dolphins were willing to trade Vontae. Neither really fit the scheme Miami is wanting to run. Its similar to what happened to Asmougha in that he was a stud as a man corner but completely lost playing zone coverages.

As a press corner, you're right, Williams isn't close to the talent that Smith is and Smith is only going to get better, especially if he gets time with Pagano like Williams did.

The whole O-line doesn't need to be replaced. 46mil can go a LONG ways if contracts are structured right. There is a good chance that either DJ Fluker or Lane Johnson fall to the Colts in the first round. Add in a decent mid-high level guard in FA and the Colts are golden.

I'd much rather see our defense give up ~16-18pts/g and win than see our offense having to put up 30pts/g in order to win. We seen where that got us with the last regime. I want better and less stress put on both the offense and defense.

From an ESPN Insider story on 'over-rated' Free Agents.    Both Williams and Smith make the over-rated cut.   Neither had a very good year in 2012.     Read on and see for yourself.....

Cary Williams, cornerback

2012 team: Baltimore Ravens

But watching the tape a little closer doesn't leave you quite as impressed. Williams gave up 39 first downs in the regular season and six more in the postseason, meaning his combined 45 first downs surrendered were the second highest of all cornerbacks. He wasn't a shutdown corner but rather someone teams moved the chains on. He may be looking for top cornerback money, but teams shouldn't be fooled into thinking he is one.If reports are to be believed, Williams bet on himself by turning down a three-year, $15 million contract from the Ravens last year. Two postseason interceptions, to go with four in the regular season (along with 11 pass deflections), might suggest that was a wise move from Williams.

Sean Smith, cornerback

2012 team: Miami Dolphins

Smith started the season playing well but finished poorly, reminding us how badly he played in 2011 where he had the second-lowest coverage grade of all cornerbacks. Smith is as talented as he is inconsistent, and for that reason teams should be hesitant to part with the big bucks for him.

There are times when I watch Smith and think he can be an elite cornerback; there are other times when I watch him and think he shouldn't even be on the field. For proof, no cornerback gave up more combined first downs and touchdowns than Smith's 46.

ravens fans arent to big on cary williams either ...so you have that also lol

but i think we need to remember, dolphins didnt want vontae we didnt want tim jennings... i guess a new coaching staff/city/scheme can bennefit some guys, but thjey need to have talent.

both sean and cary have ...lets see who grigs likes better

I misread Williams' age then I thought he was 29. I also won't put much merit into what was said about Smith this year based off that article. Miami changed defensive schemes and went away from a heavy man coverage scheme to more of a zone scheme. That's one of the main reasons why the Dolphins are letting Smith go to FA and much of the reason why the Dolphins were willing to trade Vontae. Neither really fit the scheme Miami is wanting to run. Its similar to what happened to Asmougha in that he was a stud as a man corner but completely lost playing zone coverages.

As a press corner, you're right, Williams isn't close to the talent that Smith is and Smith is only going to get better, especially if he gets time with Pagano like Williams did.

The whole O-line doesn't need to be replaced. 46mil can go a LONG ways if contracts are structured right. There is a good chance that either DJ Fluker or Lane Johnson fall to the Colts in the first round. Add in a decent mid-high level guard in FA and the Colts are golden.

I'd much rather see our defense give up ~16-18pts/g and win than see our offense having to put up 30pts/g in order to win. We seen where that got us with the last regime. I want better and less stress put on both the offense and defense.

I think based on what I have seen from Smith and also what I've read, I would be inclined to pass on him unless he agreed to take much less money. He's young enough and has the talent to put it all together eventually, but as of right now, he just doesn't get it IMO. I would rather focus much of our money on the O-line, OLBer, and possibly saftey. That way we could draft one of the good CB's in the draft. I would like to get Xavier Rhodes or Johnthan Banks. Both have good size and are physical, Rhodes being the better of the 2 IMO and I think both could be available when we pick.

How is Williams a total punk? I don't get that one

Pushed a ref in the Super Bowl to continue participation in a scrum. That type of behavior is unacceptable and can cost you a game. And to do it in the Super Bowl? That's one of two things, either dumb, or uncontrollable. Neither are words I want associated with the horseshoe.

I will take mouthy any day...when looking at number 32 Cassius......burn me again Vaughn...... :blah:  :)

I agree. I like a little attitude and self confidence. It baffles me how some fans are against a guy like Williams because he's "mouthy" or whatever, but then turn around and want a guy like Percy Harvin, who has been nothing but trouble since he was in high school.

I agree. I like a little attitude and self confidence. It baffles me how some fans are against a guy like Williams because he's "mouthy" or whatever, but then turn around and want a guy like Percy Harvin, who has been nothing but trouble since he was in high school.

some folks are just still not used to some players with attitude around here I guess

I do agree with coltsfan1828 above that pushing a ref is unacceptable.  I was surprised he was not kicked out/fined after...but HMMMM!  I do not mind the mean streak on the field.....off the field issues are a big deal to me.

Pushed a ref in the Super Bowl to continue participation in a scrum. That type of behavior is unacceptable and can cost you a game. And to do it in the Super Bowl? That's one of two things, either dumb, or uncontrollable. Neither are words I want associated with the horseshoe.

maybe its the coach in me but after the SB I don't want Williams to be a Colt

I do agree with coltsfan1828 above that pushing a ref is unacceptable.  I was surprised he was not kicked out/fined after...but HMMMM!  I do not mind the mean streak on the field.....off the field issues are a big deal to me.

Yes, pushing the referee was unacceptable, but I do wonder if he even realized who he was pushing at the time. Not that that is an excuse, but it could have been one of those "in the heat of the moment" type things. I do not think Williams is a "punk" though. I believe he is very confident in his abilities and that may be misconstrued as arrogant to some.

Could've sworn 20 out of the total 22 players on the field was involved in that scrum but Williams gets singled out for some reason. Somebody yanked his helmet off and he pushed the first person in front of him when he got up and it just so happened to be a ref

Could've sworn 20 out of the total 22 players on the field was involved in that scrum but Williams gets singled out for some reason. Somebody yanked his helmet off and he pushed the first person in front of him when he got up and it just so happened to be a ref

I get that, but heat of the moment is no excuse when you are in the game of a life time. And if he can't stay level-headed enough to at least push someone other than a ref I don't want him. It could be argued that some of the stuff Suh does is heat of the moment, but everyone hates him and comparatively he is a much better player

I never said we should get Percy Harvin either.

Attitude/Confidence is one thing. I think Vontae Davis (for instance) has alot of each, but he's not smack talking and pushing refs and getting in fights regularly like Williams. I just don't like him, and I think he's in la la land with how much he thinks he should be paid.

I never said we should get Percy Harvin either.

Attitude/Confidence is one thing. I think Vontae Davis (for instance) has alot of each, but he's not smack talking and pushing refs and getting in fights regularly like Williams. I just don't like him, and I think he's in la la land with how much he thinks he should be paid.

I didn't mean you specifically on the Harvin thing, but there are others that have said they didn't want Williams because of his attitude, but then turned around and said they would love to have Harvin. Harvin is a complete tool IMO and has had trouble everywhere he's been. I don't think a change of scenery is going to do anything for him as others have suggested. He's a repeat offender over and over and change's of scenery has done nothing to change him before. Again, don't mean you, just hypocrisy seems to be OK as long as a guy plays a position that many fans are in love with.