Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Ideal Offseason

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Let me just say I am glad I can finally post new topics. I had to like comment a certain amount of times on posts before I could. 

So this is my ideal offseason: 

1) Get Armond Armstead from the CFL. Guy has 1st round talent and his heart condition is steady. Very cheap. 

2) Jake Long, Clady, or Smith. Yes, I know they will be expensive but good O-lineman are hard to come by. Having either one alongside Constanzo for the next 5-10 years would be great for Luck and Co. Either one would be fine and getting 2 of those 3 would be paradise. 

3) Re-sign Mcafee, Miola, Avery. Great punter, There's potential in Miola, and Avery has great speed. If he can get better hands, him and Hilton would be an amazing duo of slot receivers. He's always had potential.

4) If there's enough money, get a stud WR like Wallace or Bowe. Both are young and explosive, and Wayne could teach them. They could be his successor in 2 or 3 years.

5) Finally, I've been hearing a lot of raves about Kruger so I guess I have to mention him.

Also, let BA go. I love what he did while Pagano was gone but he runs too risky of an offense. Put Luck in a certain offense that fits him, and he'll be unstoppable. We have to find that offense. Not an offense that is prone to picks.

What are your opinions and what is your ideal offseason? 

Don't know much about Armstead, agree that FA OLinemen would be great, trust Grigson to determine who stays or goes (for now, at least), don't want anything to do with Bowe or Wallace (would much rather see Greg Jennings in speed blue), and would be intrigued by the idea of Kruger playing for the Colts.

I'm looking forward to a fun ride, but I'd need to spend some time looking more into who's available before I could add much more.

I Agree with 1 and 2

3).Resign Mcafee and Miola, but Avery has got to go I think he's to inconsistent and maybe instead of Avery get Collie back???

4). I want Bowe. Need a big WR since our WR Core is mostly smaller guys.

5). We need another CB

Yes let BA WALK

Let me just say I am glad I can finally post new topics. I had to like comment a certain amount of times on posts before I could. 

1) Get Armond Armstead from the CFL. Guy has 1st round talent and his heart condition is steady. Very cheap. 

2) Jake Long, Clady, or Smith. Yes, I know they will be expensive but good O-lineman are hard to come by. Having either one alongside Constanzo for the next 5-10 years would be great for Luck and Co. Either one would be fine and getting 2 of those 3 would be paradise. 

3) Re-sign Mcafee, Miola, Avery. Great punter, There's potential in Miola, and Avery has great speed. If he can get better hands, him and Hilton would be an amazing duo of slot receivers. He's always had potential.

4) If there's enough money, get a stud WR like Wallace or Bowe. Both are young and explosive, and Wayne could teach them. They could be his successor in 2 or 3 years.

5) Finally, I've been hearing a lot of raves about Kruger so I guess I have to mention him.

Also, let BA go. I love what he did while Pagano was gone but he runs too risky of an offense. Put Luck in a certain offense that fits him, and he'll be unstoppable. We have to find that offense. Not an offense that is prone to picks.

Rather draft an OT than sign one (too expensive). Sign 1 guard, draft the other. Rather not get a guy like Wallace (Hilton plays the role he played in Pittsburgh). Rather draft a big WR (Buckner, Coleman seem to come to mind. Kruger is a good idea but if we can get him for $7Mill/year or less. Not a fan of paying him $8 Mill. 

Vertical is king. WCO is kind of overrated. But I agree that Arians needs to create more timing patterns and some short passes than consistently 10 yards+ every play. A little creativity would be nice (roll-outs etc). 

Not a fan of any WRs this free agency. Plus our TEs will be one year better along with Hilton and Brazill. Id rather get another young talent through the draft to grow with Luck and the offense.

Basically, in free agency we need to bolster the OL by getting a OG and OT, and then in the draft get impact defensive players.

1. Armstead would be a nice camp addition

2. We need help with the O-line, but I would rather sine 2 or 3 above average (good) guys than 1 outstanding guy. Wish Reitz could stay healthy....may be out. 

3. Shaky on Avery, but wouldn't mind having him back. Agree on the other re-signs.

4. I like the Bowe idea as long as he doesn't break the bank. I would hate the Mike Wallace pickup as we already have a few guys to cover his niche. I would rather have a big, physical guy.

5. Kruger would be a nice addition, but it depends on what kind of contract he commands. Wouldn't break the bank on him.

The secondary has to be addressed. We either need a nickel or a #2 so Butler can play the nickel (Butler re-signing is a must). We also need an upgrade as Safety. Lefeged was decent, but I would prefer him as a backup.

I would like to see Fokou, Ricardo Mathews, and Karim on the roster next year. I also hope that Donald's contract does not get terminated. O-Line, and Defense are the top priorities this offseason. 

Not a fan of any WRs this free agency.

This is as good as a WR free agent class is gonna get man. The premier deep threat in the league who also can be a #1 in most offenses, a guy who will be elite with a decent QB, a couple great reliable veterans (Welker and Jennings), etc.

The only WR that I would like us to sign is Greg Jennings. When at full health he is a solid WR. He's a physical receiver and has good hands. He is also a great team player along with a great guy outside of football. I don't care for Wallace because of his attitude on the field and he seems like a diva sometimes. JMO

The only WR that I would like us to sign is Greg Jennings. When at full health he is a solid WR. He's a physical receiver and has good hands. He is also a great team player along with a great guy outside of football. I don't care for Wallace because of his attitude on the field and he seems like a diva sometimes. JMO

Idk I think I would like Bowe better. He's bigger (3 inches taller), a little younger, and he has more potential than Jennings I believe. Think about it. He's never even had a serviceable QB, and he's still put up good to great numbers. Jennings has had Favre and Rodgers throwing him the ball and I feel like we've already seen his ceiling. I don't know but just a gut feeling tells me Bowe is the better choice of the 3. Wallace isn't the big receiver I would like. But guys, think about this receiving core (Wayne for a couple years, Hilton, Bowe, Fleener, Allen, maybe Avery as another slot receiver). Pretty solid if you ask me. 

I'm really intrigued by Bowe. Not sure what he would do attitude wise if he gets a nice contract...other than that he has monster potential with a QB like Luck and mentor like Reggie. We do need some OL, DL, DB, OLB through FA since we don't have a ton of draft pics but they don't need to be block buster players. I'd like to see one big name and a nice mix of solid players...

I like Chad's Amendola suggestion - reasonably priced player who would help round out the offense. 

For a year or two he is good but I would like a premier WR to go along with Wayne and then succeed RW. I'm not sure who the big name wideouts are next season but if there are a couple big names maybe waiting for the big name WR can wait until next season. If not, Bowe or Jennings are the way to go. 

Oh heck we dont need a big time receiver, look what our wr's did this year, we can get a tall receiver that has speed in the late rounds 

Totally agree Gavin. I do not understand this obsession Colts fans have with wasting money on a high priced WR. People seem to think that Bowe or Wallace or whoever will take much less money to play for the Colts for some reason. These guys are going to get paid from somebody and most likely it will not be us and I, for one am glad.

No, that's not "Just Your Opinion".... that's my opinion on him too lol

You said tall receivers that have speed. Those guys don't often fall to the later rounds

Tommy Streeter has 4.4 speed and fell to the 6th but do to mainly poor route running skills. I look for Dan Buckner to be this years Tommy Streeter, undeveloped talent that will be a late rounder with alot of potential

Oh heck we dont need a big time receiver, look what our wr's did this year, we can get a tall receiver that has speed in the late rounds 
I agree. Watching the Colts this year, I did not find myself thinking "yes, our O-line is horrible, and our D-line is not getting pressure on the opposing QB, and our secondary is our weakest link, but what would make us a complete team is having more receivers."

It's like the SNL skit-- I gotta have more cowbell!!

Tommy Streeter has 4.4 speed and fell to the 6th but do to mainly poor route running skills. I look for Dan Buckner to be this years Tommy Streeter, undeveloped talent that will be a late rounder with alot of potential

Tommy Streeter? Thanks for proving my point.....

I agree. Watching the Colts this year, I did not find myself thinking "yes, our O-line is horrible, and our D-line is not getting pressure on the opposing QB, and our secondary is our weakest link, but what would make us a complete team is having more receivers."

It's like the SNL skit-- I gotta have more cowbell!!

We have $46m in cap space, and five(?) draft picks. Why can't we upgrade the lines and the pass rush, augment the secondary, AND add a high caliber receiver prospect?

I get that we have more pressing needs, and unless we have a shot at a potentially transcendent receiver, I doubt we spend significant resources on one. I just disagree with that attitude that we shouldn't even consider upgrading at receiver because we have other needs. I can't count how many times I've seen someone say "We don't X, we need Y and Z," as if we are limited in the areas we can explore roster upgrades.

I think that's narrow-minded. We should be open to improving the roster at virtually every position, up and down the depth chart. We have a quarterback, a punter and (probably) a kicker. Everything else is fair game.

We have $46m in cap space, and five(?) draft picks. Why can't we upgrade the lines and the pass rush, augment the secondary, AND add a high caliber receiver prospect?

I get that we have more pressing needs, and unless we have a shot at a potentially transcendent receiver, I doubt we spend significant resources on one. I just disagree with that attitude that we shouldn't even consider upgrading at receiver because we have other needs. I can't count how many times I've seen someone say "We don't X, we need Y and Z," as if we are limited in the areas we can explore roster upgrades.

I think that's narrow-minded. We should be open to improving the roster at virtually every position, up and down the depth chart. We have a quarterback, a punter and (probably) a kicker. Everything else is fair game.

Agree, I'd like to improve the wr corp as well but feel it can be done in the later rounds

I am in agreement with what you've said. In fact, my post specifically refered to the other areas that we are lacking. I am not opposed to upgrading the receiving corps. I think it's not an area that needs urgent attention-- the attention that some on this forum are giving it. I have no problem if we address the receiving corps, as long as the other "more pressing" (of course in my opinion) areas of need are met first, mainly the O-line, pass rush and secondary.