Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your ideal team needs?

NewEra

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the O line have to do with Vaughn getting burned all over the field? What did the O line have to do with Butler getting burned in the end zone? What did the O line have to do with Ray Rice, and Pierce gashing us on run plays? What did the O line have to do with Ray Rice running for a 40 plus yard screen play on us? Defense, Defense, Defense is our main priority people! I think it is higher than the O line. I say we win that game with a decent to very good defense.

They scored 9 points.  It better be a dominant defense.

They could use help throughout the defense, yes, but the O-line is the top priority, and you can't do it all in 1-2 years.  Obviously, you will strive to improve the defense, but as far as spending goes, I would spend on a quick upgrade to the O-line.

If Avery stays or goes, I'm not too concerned.  I'd rather round out the offense with a crafty-type slot receiver.

Also, Vick is a good all-around workhorse, but I would like to pair him with a potential big play guy.  Big plays in the running game are nonexistent. 

Ideally Id like to get Warmack but doubt he falls past Dallas at 18 I'd just stick with<br /><br />1.Montgomery or Mingo or Rhodes or Barrett Jones or Okafor<br />3.Travis Frederick, Ricky Wagner, Brandon Jenkins<br />4.Joe Vellano, Margus Hunt, Brandan Bishop<br /><br /><br />Starters<br /><br />QB-Luck<br /><br />RB-1.Brown<br />2.Ballard (3rd Down Back as well)<br /><br />WR1-Wayne<br />WR2-Hilton<br />WR3-Griff Whalen/Avery (We need some size somewhere along the line tohough<br /><br />TE1-Allen<br />TE2-Fleener<br /><br />LT-Castonzo<br />LG-Reitz (Although he cant handle the position in this scheme very well at all)<br />C-Shipley<br />RG-Travis Frederick<br />RT-Winston Justice (Better as a backup but dont think there will be any Tackles willing to come over that are FA that are an upgrade)<br /><br />RDE-Joe Vellano/Moala<br />NT-Chapman/Mookie rotate<br />LE-Redding<br /><br />3/4 DE/3-4 OLB-Okafor<br />ILB1-Freeman<br />ILB-Angerer<br />OLB-Mathis/Hughes rotate<br /><br />CB1-Tracey Porter<br />CB2-Vontae Davis<br />CB3-Darius Butler<br /><br />SS-Brandan Bishop<br /><br />FS-Antoine Bethea

1.) OG - Our interior is the worst in the NFL in pass protection IMO.

2.) RT - Justice is inconsistent and we have no one behind him.

3.) OLB - Freeney simply doesnt fit this defense. He is still horrible against the run and doesnt get the pressure he used to.

6.) S - Zibs isnt very good and Joe is a backup.

7.) WR - Just not a fan of Avery personally. He has inconsistent hands and is generally a soft player. I love Hilton for the future but we dont have alot behind Hilton and Wayne and Wayne is getting up there.

both ot's are big pass protection problems.

i completely agree about freeney!

i completely agree about zibs!

i agree about the wr's, but they are pretty easy to find. i wouldn't spend much money or top picks on this.

I think it was exposed today:

O-line

a number 2 corner.

We will need to address OLB either by re-signing Freeney or replacing him some how (don't be shocked if this is our first round pick)

We could also still use a true 3/4 NT and maybe that's Chapman and I'll say this we still need a big tall WR that Luck can throw the ball up too.  We have a couple of nice speed guys in Brazil and Hilton and maybe the best possession WR in the game in Wayne but the one thing we could use is another big tall threat and it would not shock me to see the Colts let Avery walk and try to replace him with a taller WR. 

O-LINE

I think Louis Vasquez and Khalif Barnes or Branden Albert would be good in FA. I personally like Larry Warford more than Johnathon Cooper in the Draft. Both are great, Cooper can "pull" a lot better than Warford, but both are exceptional. I think we should keep Justice as a backup.

DEFENSE

We NEED another CB. I think FA will tell us in which Rd of the Draft we get that CB. Xavier Rhodes possibly in the 1st or Adrian Bushell in the 3rd. If the Eagles let Asomugha go, i think we should pick him up. We could possibly trade down into the second to get more picks also, ??? hard to say. I think we should keep Butler as a backup. We need another SS b/c Zibs isn't good. Kenny Phillips. I also like Cornelius Washington,DE/OLB, Georgia in the Draft.

SPECIAL TEAMS

New Coach perhaps. I haven't seen the turn around in ST that i think should have happened. ST to me comes down to proper blocking or staying in your gap to not allow the run back. That comes down on the Coach. I think Mario Harvey has been really good in ST this year.

Free Agency:

OL - as much help as we can get

OLB/pass rusher - Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger or Conner Barwin would be great

CB - getting DRC would be nice

SS - Jairus Byrd or Dashon Gholdson would be great

DE/DT - I like Gavin's suggestion of Ropati Pitoitua

My ideal draft:

1. Xavier Rhodes (if Rhodes is gone then I'd like Alex Okafor if he's still there.  If not then Best OL available)

3. Brandon Jenkins (if first round pick was Okafor, then here I'd want best CB/OL available

4. BPA leaning towards OL, or best Safety here if we don't get one of the guys above in FA.  I like Robert Lester a lot, but also like Bacarri Rambo or TJ McDonald (though he's probably gone here)

6. BPA leaning towards OL or DE/DT

7. BPA 

IMO NT does not need to be addressed at all so long as AJ is re-signed and Chapman and McKinney will be 100% healthy by the start of training camp.  Tevaseu is still under contract as well so we could take these 4 into TC and, unless Tevaseu develops to the point he surpasses AJ or McKinney then Tevaseu would be cut prior to start of regular season.

O-LINE

I think Louis Vasquez and Khalif Barnes or Branden Albert would be good in FA. I personally like Larry Warford more than Johnathon Cooper in the Draft. Both are great, Cooper can "pull" a lot better than Warford, but both are exceptional. I think we should keep Justice as a backup.

DEFENSE

We NEED another CB. I think FA will tell us in which Rd of the Draft we get that CB. Xavier Rhodes possibly in the 1st or Adrian Bushell in the 3rd. If the Eagles let Asomugha go, i think we should pick him up. We could possibly trade down into the second to get more picks also, ??? hard to say. I think we should keep Butler as a backup. We need another SS b/c Zibs isn't good. Kenny Phillips. I also like Cornelius Washington,DE/OLB, Georgia in the Draft.

SPECIAL TEAMS

New Coach perhaps. I haven't seen the turn around in ST that i think should have happened. ST to me comes down to proper blocking or staying in your gap to not allow the run back. That comes down on the Coach. I think Mario Harvey has been really good in ST this year.

The special teams really hasn't played as bad as years past. Joe, Sergio, and Mario have all made good plays. Pat went from being a straight forward kicker to being able to kick directional very well. Our ST has only allowed one TD all season. That is pretty darn good. The only other thing I'd add to your list though is we might need another RB. 

Free Agency:

OL - as much help as we can get

OLB/pass rusher - Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger or Conner Barwin would be great

CB - getting DRC would be nice

SS - Jairus Byrd or Dashon Gholdson would be great

DE/DT - I like Gavin's suggestion of Ropati Pitoitua

My ideal draft:

1. Xavier Rhodes (if Rhodes is gone then I'd like Alex Okafor if he's still there. If not then Best OL available)

3. Brandon Jenkins (if first round pick was Okafor, then here I'd want best CB/OL available

4. BPA leaning towards OL, or best Safety here if we don't get one of the guys above in FA. I like Robert Lester a lot, but also like Bacarri Rambo or TJ McDonald (though he's probably gone here)

6. BPA leaning towards OL or DE/DT

7. BPA

IMO NT does not need to be addressed at all so long as AJ is re-signed and Chapman and McKinney will be 100% healthy by the start of training camp. Tevaseu is still under contract as well so we could take these 4 into TC and, unless Tevaseu develops to the point he surpasses AJ or McKinney then Tevaseu would be cut prior to start of regular season.

Nice, good ideas indeed.

Were they serviceable today, or in any of the losses we had this year? It's easy to say serviceable when you are playing lower tier teams, or good teams with Offensive problems like the Texans. When it came to playoff caliber teams, our defense was the main issue for the loss. The bad offensive line did not keep us from moving the ball or scoring in most cases.

Are you serious? Of course the o-line stopped us moving the ball AND scoring. We didn't score any touch downs, we couldn't get the ball down field like our offense is built to do, because Luck was under constant pressure. We have the makings of an elite offense, and a vertical scheme is dependent on great pass protection. It is without question priority, we haven't put big numbers on the scoreboard all year despite the fact that we have the players to do so. 

The defense is far from perfect, but pressure was decent today, we held Rice and stripped him twice, the secondary outside on Davis was very poor and that will be fixed, but with a quality offensive line and a wide-out that isn't Avery we can outgun any team in this league.

The special teams really hasn't played as bad as years past. Joe, Sergio, and Mario have all made good plays. Pat went from being a straight forward kicker to being able to kick directional very well. Our ST has only allowed one TD all season. That is pretty darn good. The only other thing I'd add to your list though is we might need another RB. 

I was going to say outside of today and the New England game Special Teams has really gone in our favor in most games or has been a push. 

1. o-line priority one. 

Would like to keep luck longer than it loooks like washington will have RG3.

Guard play and LT play when Justice is out has been poor. Curious to see if  ijalana will be a good guard he looked ok at tackle last year but could be better at guard

2. SS - Don't have any quality starters that can make this defense special.  Betha is getting old but should be ok for a year or two  but that's it

3. OLB - did ok today but setting the edge has been the problem with this team all year and that is the responsibility of the OLB in the 3-4

4. CB - Davis is good, curious to see if butler or powers could step up next year.  but if other issues are addressed a corner would be nice

5. DE - Redding is solid and looked like Moala and Nevis were playing well before they went down for the year.  So not a priority

6. WR - Hade too many drops today.  Overall good young group and if whelan can play in a real game like he did in pre-season we might have even a better group... great hands seems to catch everything.

Don't need a NT.  Johnson has played well and with Chapman as a young stud and McKinney who played well before his trip to the IR we should only look at this if something falls in our lap we can't pass on.

we should take it easy on the cb's, they aren't that bad. top safeties should have been there to intercept those high hanging passes today. ed reed would have had a field day with passes like that. fans have been screaming to play more press coverage, but you have to have capable safeties to take away the deep passes. the colts don't. also, sometimes top wr's make great plays.

Guard play and LT play when Justice is out has been poor. Curious to see if  ijalana will be a good guard he looked ok at tackle last year but could be better at guard

2. SS - Don't have any quality starters that can make this defense special.  Betha is getting old but should be ok for a year or two  but that's it

3. OLB - did ok today but setting the edge has been the problem with this team all year and that is the responsibility of the OLB in the 3-4

4. CB - Davis is good, curious to see if butler or powers could step up next year.  but if other issues are addressed a corner would be nice

5. DE - Redding is solid and looked like Moala and Nevis were playing well before they went down for the year.  So not a priority

6. WR - Hade too many drops today.  Overall good young group and if whelan can play in a real game like he did in pre-season we might have even a better group... great hands seems to catch everything.

Don't need a NT.  Johnson has played well and with Chapman as a young stud and McKinney who played well before his trip to the IR we should only look at this if something falls in our lap we can't pass on.

i agree, and welcome to the forum.

They scored 9 points.  It better be a dominant defense.

They could use help throughout the defense, yes, but the O-line is the top priority, and you can't do it all in 1-2 years.  Obviously, you will strive to improve the defense, but as far as spending goes, I would spend on a quick upgrade to the O-line.

If Avery stays or goes, I'm not too concerned.  I'd rather round out the offense with a crafty-type slot receiver.

Also, Vick is a good all-around workhorse, but I would like to pair him with a potential big play guy.  Big plays in the running game are nonexistent. 

Did we only score 9 solely because of the O line? How many drives stalled out due to dropped passes?

I think we only need about 2 more quality lineman to have a fairly good O line next year. They may not even needto be draft picks. This year we didn't have the money to pay any decent free agents. All we could get were stopgaps. Next year we'll have money. I say we grab two quality lineman maybe one in FA and one in the draft, and the rest can be defense.

I think there are more holes to fill on defense

On defense I think we need a #2 corner. I would even say draft one high.

I think both safeties need to be replaced. At minimum we need a SS

We need a quality starting MLB to go along with Freeman. Angerer and Conner are stop gap at best

Probably need a quality rush OLB to replace Freeney

It probably wouldn't hurt to add to the DE position. We maybe could get away with this one, but Redding isn't getting any younger and the rest are back ups at best.

To me there is are more holes to fill on this D to make them playoff caliber. There's more to be replaced than on the OL to me. Again I am not saying we do not have to address the OL, I just think the D has more areas to address.

Offensive line: flat out terrible today and their inability to provide Luck time is why this offense was stagnant. Everyone bashes RG3 for being hurt, but if Grigson does not get fixed this offseason Luck will be hanging out with RG3 on the injured list.

Corner: Davis is our only legitimate corner on this roster. Powers was awful before he got hurt and nobody behind him is good enough to step in.

Safety: Zibs is just a stop gap and nobody else other than Bethe is stater material

outside linebacker: we need help in pass rushing outside of Mathis. Freeney is gone and Hughes is not good enough to be a full time starter.

Wide receiver: Reggie is not getting younger, Avery is not good, and we only have Hilton. So we need someone else to step in so when Reggie leaves we have that guy and Hilton.

Offensive line: flat out terrible today and their inability to provide Luck time is why this offense was stagnant. Everyone bashes RG3 for being hurt, but if Grigson does not get fixed this offseason Luck will be hanging out with RG3 on the injured list. Corner: Davis is our only legitimate corner on this roster. Powers was awful before he got hurt and nobody behind him is good enough to step in. Safety: Zibs is just a stop gap and nobody else other than Bethe is stater material outside linebacker: we need help in pass rushing outside of Mathis. Freeney is gone and Hughes is not good enough to be a full time starter. Wide receiver: Reggie is not getting younger, Avery is not good, and we only have Hilton. So we need someone else to step in so when Reggie leaves we have that guy and Hilton.

I have all the faith Grigson will.  He's not blind and has shown he's good at his job.  I think he did what he could do with limited resources to address the line this off-season.  This was never going to be a complete one year turnover. 

We don't get near enough pressure on other QBs.  I like Ezekiel Ansah.   He is able to play 4-3 or 3-4, is really tall (block passes) and has a high motor.  

We need multiple, high quality, guard/tackle combo players. We deal with injuries so much, everybody needs to play multiple positions.  Howard Mudd used to do that.

Another running back.  Too many injuries keep leaving us with Mewelde Moore and that's not good enough.

We need to emulate the Seahawk's secondary.  Whatever they did drafting those guys, do the same thing.  They are good.

Not in favor of a tall WR.  Brady uses his TE's as tall receivers and we can as well.  We need to develop what we have.  Make Avery battle with Hilton, Brazil and the likes for his spot.  They all did well but they all need to improve.

Offence- Right guard, left guard and a right or left tackle depending on who's available with AC slotting in the other spot but I like him at left tackle. A dependable reciever, no one special just another Avery type pick up but someone who can catch!

Outside linebacker, defensive end, cornerback and a safety on defence.

At least new starters at OLB, S, CB, RG, LG, RT and hopefully a upgrade at WR and RDE but Avery and Moala seem ok for now.

Are you serious? Of course the o-line stopped us moving the ball AND scoring. We didn't score any touch downs, we couldn't get the ball down field like our offense is built to do, because Luck was under constant pressure. We have the makings of an elite offense, and a vertical scheme is dependent on great pass protection. It is without question priority, we haven't put big numbers on the scoreboard all year despite the fact that we have the players to do so. 

The defense is far from perfect, but pressure was decent today, we held Rice and stripped him twice, the secondary outside on Davis was very poor and that will be fixed, but with a quality offensive line and a wide-out that isn't Avery we can outgun any team in this league.

I'm very serious! We were on at least the 30 yard line about 3 times today, and came up with no points. The drive did not stop due to sacks. They stopped due to drops

I was opposed to signing a WR before but this game confirmed what I felt all along that we need somebody that can make the tough catches besides Reggie..

Other than that spend on the O-line and just draft defense..

I don't disagree that we could use another WR but I still just don't see a team built on offense let their super star WR leave.  That would have been like us letting Marvin or Reggie Walk when we had Peyton.  I think Bowe will be on the market and if KC is starting over he might be the best WR out there we can get. 

The pressure caused Luck to go to his hot routes, which were dropped by the wideouts often times today. If those balls are caught, then you're not saying anything about the line. You're saying Luck beat the blitz.

The offensive line is a priority, but I don't think it has as many players to replace as the Defense. You can say what you want to, but we have had plenty of opportunity to score points this year even with a bad OL. Very few drives in the red zone we had this year failed due to sacks. The bigger case was badly thrown balls with the play wide open, or drops. If we make those throws, or catch the ball in many of those cases our rankings would have been much better. I don't think it will take any more than 2 quality lineman as far as the 2013 season is concerned to get Luck some decent protection. The defense has more things that need to be addressed.

I don't disagree that we could use another WR but I still just don't see a team built on offense let their super star WR leave.  That would have been like us letting Marvin or Reggie Walk when we had Peyton.  I think Bowe will be on the market and if KC is starting over he might be the best WR out there we can get. 

The Packers have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and James Jones..three terrific young receivers that are only going to keep getting better..to spend that extra money on Jennings would make so sense when they could use that money on the O-line since Rodgers was probably the most sacked and pressured qb in the league..

The Packers have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and James Jones..three terrific young receivers that are only going to keep getting better..to spend that extra money on Jennings would make so sense when they could use that money on the O-line since Rodgers was probably the most sacked and pressured qb in the league..

None of those guys are true number one guys though.  Jennings is.  Again I just don't see them letting him leave.  I could be wrong but I think they are going to keep him and work on addressing the line as well.  It's not like they have to let Jennings walk to address the line they can do both. 

Grigson better get really serious about strengthening the O line this coming year.  Luck will have to face the NFC west.  Seattle and San Francisco, especially,  and if the O-line isn't improved he could well end up seriously injured.  Those teams go after the QB very hard.  

We only have a few years to solidify the pass protection.  Think about it as if you're Andrew Luck. If we don't seriously commit to protecting the QB, why resign once your rookie contract is up.  And even IF he does, how is he supposed to have a long career taking a beating year after year?  

We don't get near enough pressure on other QBs.  I like Ezekiel Ansah.   He is able to play 4-3 or 3-4, is really tall (block passes) and has a high motor.  

We need multiple, high quality, guard/tackle combo players. We deal with injuries so much, everybody needs to play multiple positions.  Howard Mudd used to do that.

Another running back.  Too many injuries keep leaving us with Mewelde Moore and that's not good enough.

We need to emulate the Seahawk's secondary.  Whatever they did drafting those guys, do the same thing.  They are good.

Not in favor of a tall WR.  Brady uses his TE's as tall receivers and we can as well.  We need to develop what we have.  Make Avery battle with Hilton, Brazil and the likes for his spot.  They all did well but they all need to improve.

Guard/tackle combo players? That usually means a crappy tackle who is a pretty good guard

None of those guys are true number one guys though.  Jennings is.  Again I just don't see them letting him leave.  I could be wrong but I think they are going to keep him and work on addressing the line as well.  It's not like they have to let Jennings walk to address the line they can do both. 

According to Spotrac the Packers have 14 mil invested in the WR position alone..highest on the team..if they resign Jennings that number will increase significantly..makes no sense to spend close to 20 mil on 1 position alone..the numbers don't make sense..you're forgetting how good Aaron Rodgers is..he can make any decent receiver look good..trust me on this bro Jennings will not be back with the Pack..

anyway I don't want to derail the thread with this convo..if we can't get Jennings I would be happy if we can get Danny Amendola..cheaper option and he also has great hands..

Grigson better get really serious about strengthening the O line this coming year.  Luck will have to face the NFC west.  Seattle and San Francisco, especially,  and if the O-line isn't improved he could well end up seriously injured.  Those teams go after the QB very hard.  

We only have a few years to solidify the pass protection.  Think about it as if you're Andrew Luck. If we don't seriously commit to protecting the QB, why resign once your rookie contract is up.  And even IF he does, how is he supposed to have a long career taking a beating year after year?  

Great point..also don't forget about the Rams..

I'm very serious! We were on at least the 30 yard line about 3 times today, and came up with no points. The drive did not stop due to sacks. They stopped due to drops

the one avery dropped was terrible, but the others were in tight coverage or a little off target. luck's passes were rushed into tight coverage or off target because of the continuous quick pressure he was getting. watch other games yesterday and today, those qb's had time to scan the field and step into throws. luck has to step around and throw over linemen, sometimes while leaning backwards.

BPA...outside of QB obviously.

This team is full of holes.

but if we had a chance at multiple positions of equal talent...

1.) OG - Our interior is the worst in the NFL in pass protection IMO.

2.) RT - Justice is inconsistent and we have no one behind him.

3.) OLB - Freeney simply doesnt fit this defense. He is still horrible against the run and doesnt get the pressure he used to.

4.) CB - Davis has started to come on lately but we really dont have anyone really worth mentioning after that. Vaughn doesnt belong on the field and Butler just doesnt strike me as a true #2 in this league.

5.) NT - Johnson is a decent backup but not a starter IMO. Chapman might be good but we simply dont know.

6.) S - Zibs isnt very good and Joe is a backup.

7.) WR - Just not a fan of Avery personally. He has inconsistent hands and is generally a soft player. I love Hilton for the future but we dont have alot behind Hilton and Wayne and Wayne is getting up there.

This I think is the closest yet.  Our interior O-line is hot garbage and the RT position is almost a turnstyle.  Don't forget also we're the 4th worst run defense in the league.  We need some quality DT's or ILB that can also drop into pass protection...guys built for a 3-4, a real NT, and some better OLB play.  We're also short one corner who can play man-press.  Grigson has his hands full with a team that has all kinds of needs.