Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Paul Kruger

IndyColtScout

Jake Long (MIA) - OT - A year ago, Joe Thomas set a new standard for offensive tackles with a 7-year, $84 million contract. The Dolphins are not expected to allow one of the best tackles in the league walk, but with a franchise tag number 120% of his cap number this year, $15.4 million will give Jake Long some leverage in negotiations.

Ryan Clady (DEN) - OT - After several seasons as one of the better left tackles in the league, Clady's is on his expiring rookie contract. After turning down a 5-year, $50 million offer from the Broncos prior to this season, there is some indication that he's looking for something more in the Joe Thomas ballpark. It's unlikely the Broncos, or any other team, will be willing to go that high, but if his demands persist, it brings the franchise tag into play.

Branden Albert (KC) - OT - Albert is among the best all-around left tackles in the league today. With the Chiefs emphasis on the run game and returning to the dominant offensive line that made them offensive powerhouses early last decade, even an offseason with other key free agents ready to hit the market, Albert should get his payday in red.

Sebastian Vollmer (NE) - OT - After a back injury that cost him most of the 2011 season, Vollmer returns to the starting lineup in 2012. He'll be 29 prior to the start of the next season and just coming off his rookie contract. When healthy, Vollmer has been among the league's best right tackles. If they can trust him to remain healthy, they will make a play for him.

Brandon Moore (NYJ) - OG - Though Moore will be 33 when the 2013 season begins, he may also be the best offensive guard on the market. With a Jets offensive line that was not too long ago the best in the league, they are now a unit that has felt pain attempting to replace former starters. Losing a player of Moore's caliber on the line could be devastating to an offense that has struggled to form an identity and develop even a sign of consistency.

Andy Levitre (BUF) - OG - Starting every game of his career so far, Levitre's versatility and consistency has brought tremendous value to the organization over the past couple years. With a healthy offensive line the Bills have found terrific success in running the ball with Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, and even Tashard Choice. Keeping this unit intact will be important for the Bills offense.

Andre Smith (CIN) - OT - Though the former 6th overall pick probably hasn't lived up to his expectations, Smith has developed into an effective right tackle for the Bengals. Though Cincinnati would probably have to search for another right tackle if he moves on, but generally these high draft picks have a way of not staying with their original team if they don't pan out all the way. Weight is a concern, but Smith could be one of the more realistic possible options in free agency.

Sam Baker (ATL) - OT - Over the last year or two, Sam Baker has been battling a chronic injury and Will Svitek for a starting job. At full health, Baker has been an effective left tackle for the Falcons. At less than full health, he's been a borderline liability. Baker is an example of the type of player every year where his own team has the best injury read on him. If the Falcons can trust his health, they will trust signing him to a solid second contract.

id add will beaty and phil loadholt and Slauson G from the Jets

me personally i would go all in for either Brandon Albert/Phil Loadholt and Slauson/Lous Vazquez for G.

then go for a cb, like cary williams or keenan from Pitts...and if we can end up with a anthony spence or kruger that would be an ideal FA for me

We don't need a center, we need to start AQ Shipley next season, we need 2 guards and 2 tackles, maybe try moving joe reitz to right tackle, I'm not sold on castonzo being a longtime solution to b our LT, he needs to improve next season. Maybe we get Ben ijalana back, either way, we need at least 3 offensive linemen next season who play better then reitz,mcglynn and justice.

I have said before that we should go after OLB Paul Kruger. But I dont think we will need to pay him a ton of money. Something in the ballpark of 4 years 24 million or so. I would like hiim to start alongside Mathis with mixing in Hughes.

I think if Kruger goes that cheap, he'll stay with Baltimore.  Good pass rushers go for a hefty price nowadays.

EDIT: Also - I would be a little skeptical of Kruger's ability by himself.  We have Suggs on the other side + Ngata in the middle.  That prevents any double-teaming on Kruger.  Keep in mind, 7.5 of Paul's sacks occurred after Suggs came back from his injury - prior to that, he only had 1.5 sacks on the year.

id add will beaty and phil loadholt and Slauson G from the Jets

me personally i would go all in for either Brandon Albert/Phil Loadholt and Slauson/Lous Vazquez for G.

then go for a cb, like cary williams or keenan from Pitts...and if we can end up with a anthony spence or kruger that would be an ideal FA for me

Cary will likely be on the market after this year.  If you guys want to pick him up, best of luck to you.  If he learns how to actually cover guys and not get burnt, and also how to turn his head around, he could actually be a good CB.  Right now, he's not worth much at all.

I think if Kruger goes that cheap, he'll stay with Baltimore.  Good pass rushers go for a hefty price nowadays.

EDIT: Also - I would be a little skeptical of Kruger's ability by himself.  We have Suggs on the other side + Ngata in the middle.  That prevents any double-teaming on Kruger.  Keep in mind, 7.5 of Paul's sacks occurred after Suggs came back from his injury - prior to that, he only had 1.5 sacks on the year.

Cary will likely be on the market after this year.  If you guys want to pick him up, best of luck to you.  If he learns how to actually cover guys and not get burnt, and also how to turn his head around, he could actually be a good CB.  Right now, he's not worth much at all.

as for Kruger thats true but he will have Robert Mathis on the other side, and I actually liked what Redding did this year.

on Cary...dude, you obviusly didnt pay attention to Vaughn last week...or all last year. I'd take Cary to be our #2 instead of Vaughn any day. then we could move him to the nickel package where he could probably be a little better, but our CB is screaming for someone

I don't doubt he's a good player and all but if big money is going to be thrown it better be at Olineman if they want Luck to live past next season.

We have the money for both and then some. Don't be surprised if we draft some of our oline upgrades either.

I like Kruger.. I doubt Jones makes it down to us and a big NO THANK YOU on Mike Wallace. We have Hilton and Avery and the Colts are already stacked at the skill positions.

Please no more Avery! We can do better, and we owe Luck better.

Kruger is dominant again today making a lot of money in these playoffs

I was going to say I doubt the Colts will be the only team interested in him this off-season.  The good news is Flacco is playing well as well which means that is probably where the Ravens money is going to go which means Kruger will probably see the open market. 

For what's it's worth, but in another thread elsewhere on the website, a poster said that Kruger is looking for a contract that is.........

$8 Mill x 5 years.   $40 Mill.    If we want a top pass rushing OLB to replace Freeney,  we may have to pay someone, whether it's Kruger or Spencer that kind of money.    If not that, pretty darn close.

Just sayin....

For what's it's worth, but in another thread elsewhere on the website, a poster said that Kruger is looking for a contract that is.........

$8 Mill x 5 years.   $40 Mill.    If we want a top pass rushing OLB to replace Freeney,  we may have to pay someone, whether it's Kruger or Spencer that kind of money.    If not that, pretty darn close.

Just sayin....

Yeah, on the CBS pregame they said he is looking for 8-9 mil per year.....ouch

Just sayin....

We have money to spend and I like this better than signing some slightly better than average CB for 9 mill per year. I'm guessing it's Kruger and an O lineman as the major free agent signings. What we have to realize is there are very few bargains in free agency when it coes to players that are finishing their 1st contracts. The bargains are found in the players that have a little more tread left on the tires than thought.

Just sayin....

Yeah good players don't come cheap but with 43 million and the draft picks the Colts could still swing a guy like this if they want him and still address other needs.  The key is to spend wisely and not go get three guys that make this kind of money.  You don't have to get pro-bowlers at every poistion.  I could easily see us signing a guy like Kruger, and then getting some solid vets at corner and an o-lineman or two and maybe one big star lineman and then using the draft to address other needs. 

8-9 mil a year is a lot for someone previously thought to be a situational type player up until this year..I'd have no problem if Grigson signed him but I also wouldn't mind if we drafted our pass rusher in the draft where there are at least 7 first sound talents in this year draft class..

This is an option too.  I think our first round pick will either be OLB or corner or WR if someone slips to us.  I think they are going to use the market to go after line help as a rookie is going to have to grow and adjust and that's not going to help protect Luck right now.  It wouldn't shock me at all if we use our first round pick to draft Freeney's replacement. 

8-9 mil a year is a lot for someone previously thought to be a situational type player up until this year..I'd have no problem if Grigson signed him but I also wouldn't mind if we drafted our pass rusher in the draft where there are at least 7 first sound talents in this year draft class..

This. Wouldn't mind the signing but i don't want the colts to sign the next Conner Barwin

I really like Kruger and before the game yesterday, I was big on bringing in Cary Williams, but he looked bad vs. Denver... bad penalties and so-so coverage... now I'm not so sure about him.... maybe K. Lewis from Pitt. is a better option, or M. Jenkins from Dallas or even Aquib Talib....

I wouldn't object to us targeting Kruger and/or Spencer, but (as everyone here knows) we need big time OL help and Olines are tricky to fix for a lot of reasons, so I will be uneasy until we address that

Ravens forum:

Yeah... that's all I think about when I hear about Kruger. I hope people realize that Kruger didn't start making plays until after Suggs was back and demanding double teams. Kruger is a great pass rusher but he doesn't deserve top money.

Speaking of Suggs.... HE HAD A MONSTER GAME TONIGHT!