Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fixing The Offensive Line

dw49

I would bet there is hardly a 2013 free aget thread on this board where this guy is not included. Seems like it would be a surprise if he didn't end up in Indy. But maybe Grigson doesn't believe in paying 7.5 - 8 million a year for guards ? Nicks , the best guard in football , averaged around 9 mill per year with 24 million guaranteed in the first two years. So that was a contract that truley averaged the 9 mill. There is no huge money at the end of his deal that he won't see. Anyway.. here's something from Roto News. 

mpending free agent LG Andy Levitre made it clear while cleaning out his locker on Monday that he intends to shop for the best offer on the market this offseason.

The Bills opened preliminary talks in the offseason, but they went nowhere. A picture of durability on an oft-injured offensive line, Levitre has started 64 consecutive games since entering the league as the 51st overall pick in the 2009 draft. Levitre is Rotoworld's No. 1 ranked guard on the market this year. He should attract plenty of suitors if the Bills don't re-sign him before free agency kicks off.

He would make a great addition IF he fits the scheme we employ. Man that would make a pretty good left side though. We have to get a bonofide legit starter at both guard spots for next year there for certian. We can work with AQ at center and justice isn't the worst on the line but he is upgradable too. Have to watch overspending out of need though.

We'd be better served to build with youth through the draft than to gamble on high-priced FA's.

It's a much bigger gamble drafting a guy.  Just look at our O-linemen drafted the last 5 years.  Take away Castonzo and what do we have?

The FAs are at least proven.  I'd stay away from any of the injury prone guys.  

We'd be better served to build with youth through the draft than to gamble on high-priced FA's.

We have tons of money to spend this off season. You either use it or loose it. We need to protect Luck now. we need so much that waiting to build through the draft could take years and this year we don't even have a 2nd round pick.

If we can sign a top Guard Like Levitre and some mock drafts have us taking Cooper out of North Carolina who is a agile prospect in the first. Our oline looks leaps and bounds better than the last few seasons. I know most on here want to see D drafted and i think we will mostly go d but a OG  draft class that goes about 5-6 deep in quality talent we have a chance to improve up the middle where we have issues.

Our O line is going to get Luck killed, so it has to be a priority. I think two very good, not necessarily elite O linemen would go a long way towards fixing the problem. I think D line and safety would be the best help for our defense and can be partially handled in the draft. I believe our Davis and Butler have improved our corners, but we still need help there.

One thing we have to remember, a significant number of the players that have given us the great results this year contracts expire this year and there are a number of them that we will want to re-sign. The approximately $45 million in cap space can disappear pretty quickly.

Our O line is going to get Luck killed, so it has to be a priority. I think two very good, not necessarily elite O linemen would go a long way towards fixing the problem. I think D line and safety would be the best help for our defense and can be partially handled in the draft. I believe our Davis and Butler have improved our corners, but we still need help there.

One thing we have to remember, a significant number of the players that have given us the great results this year contracts expire this year and there are a number of them that we will want to re-sign. The approximately $45 million in cap space can disappear pretty quickly.

The O Line didn't play too bad the last couple weeks.  Part of it is Andrew's fault for not getting rid of the ball.  He'll learn, I won't be surprised if he's got that down by the start of next season.  We had worse O Lines with Peyton, but he rarely got sacked.  I used to love it when teams tried to blitz us.

We're in good shape as far as the cap, and Grigs has shown he knows how to evaluate talent.  I'd prefer a bunch of lower paid guys that provide quality depth than blowing it all on one big FA too.  But good O linemen aren't going to be cheap.  If they were, the Bears would be in the SuperBowl.

If there's anywhere I wouldn't mind seeing us splurge this offseason, it's offensive line. And maybe corner.

Agreed. I don't think we should break the bank on a corner though. They don't come cheap. We'll have to re-up Vontae at some point, anyways. I'd rather we focus on the trenches (on both sides of the ball) in free agency. Our cornerbacks definitely need to be upgraded, but I feel our lack of a pass rush was just as much a part of the problem as the secondary. Freeney and Mathis are 32 and 31, respectively. Maybe we can use the draft to get some pass rushers and free agency to get linemen on offense and defense. I'd like to see a low-key, upside pickups at corner in free agency. Just my opinion 

The O Line didn't play too bad the last couple weeks.  Part of it is Andrew's fault for not getting rid of the ball.  He'll learn, I won't be surprised if he's got that down by the start of next season.  We had worse O Lines with Peyton, but he rarely got sacked.  I used to love it when teams tried to blitz us.

We're in good shape as far as the cap, and Grigs has shown he knows how to evaluate talent.  I'd prefer a bunch of lower paid guys that provide quality depth than blowing it all on one big FA too.  But good O linemen aren't going to be cheap.  If they were, the Bears would be in the SuperBowl.

I tend to agree with your thinking.  In most sports, overpaying for a player is a bad thing.  Talented, up and coming, hungry players are the way to go and we have just the GM to spot those guys.   

Agreed. I don't think we should break the bank on a corner though. They don't come cheap. We'll have to re-up Vontae at some point, anyways. I'd rather we focus on the trenches (on both sides of the ball) in free agency. Our cornerbacks definitely need to be upgraded, but I feel our lack of a pass rush was just as much a part of the problem as the secondary. Freeney and Mathis are 32 and 31, respectively. Maybe we can use the draft to get some pass rushers and free agency to get linemen on offense and defense. I'd like to see a low-key, upside pickups at corner in free agency. Just my opinion 

Yep.  We can stockpile talent at every position, but if one of them doesn't rush the QB, then we will fail miserably.  Getting to the QB may not be a priority against Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez, but it's imperative against Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and the likes.

Yep.  We can stockpile talent at every position, but if one of them doesn't rush the QB, then we will fail miserably.  Getting to the QB may not be a priority against Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez, but it's imperative against Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and the likes.

There's a FA coming on the market that we should look at.  He's older but could still be a great situational pass rusher.  Former first round draft pick, out of Syracuse I think...

There's a FA coming on the market that we should look at.  He's older but could still be a great situational pass rusher.  Former first round draft pick, out of Syracuse I think...

Yea, i know about him. pretty good i actually think we get him too.

There's a FA coming on the market that we should look at. He's older but could still be a great situational pass rusher. Former first round draft pick, out of Syracuse I think...

I'm not sure he will want to play olb again. I also think he will get bigger offers than we are willing to pay.. I would like to see him back though

Playing out of position and will be overpriced, given his age and level of production. I love Freeney but I doubt he's re-signed

If there's anywhere I wouldn't mind seeing us splurge this offseason, it's offensive line. And maybe corner.

Unless you go for the secondary guys , you are going to get raped with whomever you sign in free agency. But I agree that you may as well do it on the O Line.

Agree in some ways but how is it a "gamble" with a FA if they are already NFL proven and ready? I hear this alot and always think to myself isn`t it a bigger gamble drafting a college player to play in the pro`s than to sign a proven FA? Just thinking in "dollar for dollar" terms

Playing out of position and will be overpriced, given his age and level of production. I love Freeney but I doubt he's re-signed

I think both Freeney and the Colts would like to do another deal but I think you have it right.

I'm not sure he will want to play olb again. I also think he will get bigger offers than we are willing to pay.. I would like to see him back though

Right now we're in the 4-3 at least as often as we're in the 3-4.  For the right price (and I have no idea how much he'll be offered by other teams), he's still a great pass rusher.  We don't need him to play OLB.

Like you said though, I'm sure there are going to be some teams willing to overpay him.  

Agree in some ways but how is it a "gamble" with a FA if they are already NFL proven and ready? I hear this alot and always think to myself isn`t it a bigger gamble drafting a college player to play in the pro`s than to sign a proven FA? Just thinking in "dollar for dollar" terms

Plus the fact that we have way too many needs to fill with picks in the 1st , 3rd , 4th , 6th and 7th. Plus as we all know , we have the money to spend.

Right now we're in the 4-3 at least as often as we're in the 3-4.  For the right price (and I have no idea how much he'll be offered by other teams), he's still a great pass rusher.  We don't need him to play OLB.

Like you said though, I'm sure there are going to be some teams willing to overpay him.  

I would guess 2 years for around 14 mill.

Agree in some ways but how is it a "gamble" with a FA if they are already NFL proven and ready? I hear this alot and always think to myself isn`t it a bigger gamble drafting a college player to play in the pro`s than to sign a proven FA? Just thinking in "dollar for dollar" terms

I think we'll be okay even if we spend a little more than we should in free agency. Just so long as we get players that fill holes, and aren't bums.

As for the draft, it's much more hit and miss than free agency is, but mistakes cost less.

Plus the fact that we have way too many needs to fill with picks in the 1st , 3rd , 4th , 6th and 7th. Plus as we all know , we have the money to spend.

I don't think the Colts have a sixth rounder - wasn't Davis had for a 2nd and conditional 6th?  I don't know what the conditions were, but that pick may belong to the Dolphins too. 

And the 7th was conditionally included in the Fokou/Lloyd/Thomas deal with the Eagles.  Again, don't know what the conditions were, or if they were met.  Fokou has been active, which concerns me, as playing time, on the roster at the end of the season, those kinds of things are usually the conditions of a late round pick. 

With the existing FAs on our own roster, and limited draft picks, and plenty of positions still to improve, I don't know how far that $40 million actually goes.  I do hope there is at least one top level OL in FA though.  The FA shopping in 2013 might have to be spread out amongst many middle grade players as opposed to big splashes. 

I don't think the Colts have a sixth rounder - wasn't Davis had for a 2nd and conditional 6th?  I don't know what the conditions were, but that pick may belong to the Dolphins too. 

And the 7th was conditionally included in the Fokou/Lloyd/Thomas deal with the Eagles.  Again, don't know what the conditions were, or if they were met.  Fokou has been active, which concerns me, as playing time, on the roster at the end of the season, those kinds of things are usually the conditions of a late round pick. 

With the existing FAs on our own roster, and limited draft picks, and plenty of positions still to improve, I don't know how far that $40 million actually goes.  I do hope there is at least one top level OL in FA though.  The FA shopping in 2013 might have to be spread out amongst many middle grade players as opposed to big splashes. 

It was a condition that was not met so we retain the pick. i think it pertained to games played.

I agree the o-line has played better the last couple of weeks, and Luck holds the ball to long sometimes, but we never had o-lines this bad when Peyton was here.

I agree the o-line has played better the last couple of weeks, and Luck holds the ball to long sometimes, but we never had o-lines this bad when Peyton was here.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  2010 was pathetic.  2009 wasn't much better.  We didn't have a LT.  Except for Jeff, I don't think we had a guy that could start for any other team.

This line is heads and tails better than 2010.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  2010 was pathetic.  2009 wasn't much better.  We didn't have a LT.  Except for Jeff, I don't think we had a guy that could start for any other team.

This line is heads and tails better than 2010.

Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Ryan Lilga and even Charlie Johson would start for this team right now, you can't be serious

Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Ryan Lilga and even Charlie Johson would start for this team right now, you can't be serious

We didn't have Lilja, Diem was a shadow of his former self, remember they had to move him to G.  CJ was a decent utility player but he was no LT.  He was horrible at Minn last year but is doing okay at G this year.

Yes, I'm serious.