Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we need a much better offensive line please!

superrep1967

I know this is no news to anybody. But we need get a much better offensive line in the off-season. I know we will have the cap space for it. I mean Luck is under pressure every week on virtually every play. I'm not just talking about this week where JJ Watt should be considered for MVP. I mean the guy is almost unblock-able. But Luck is amazing considering the time he has to throw the ball which is usually no time at all. So I wouldn't trade Luck for any QB in the league no way. But if we don't find a really good o-line then we'll never really know his full potential. 

I honestly couldn't believe how bad Linkenbach and McGlynn were today.  JJ Watt is a monster but he just went through them like they weren't on the field.

I really wouldn't mind if Grigson followed the Patriot formula.  Just make sure, more than anything, you have a good offensive line.  If a good QB has a line, the running attack and passing attack will do well regardless of who you have in those positions.  So I hope all the Free Agency money that is left over goes to the offensive line.

Oh, and I am one who hopes Bruce Arians somehow gets a HC job.  I really don't like his offense.  It doesn't fit Luck

Thinking of FA OT Jake Long who would be playing opposite of Costanzo and the Colts trade up to get OG Jonathan Cooper in the draft and then get FA OG Andy Levitre, and get a couple undrafted centers and keep Statele as well just in case and also I want FA Safety Jairus Byrd and with the 3rd and 4th pick try and get a new DE/OLB if Freeney doesn't want to go to 4 mil a year, just tell him flat out this is what we offer right before the draft and get a signature and if not then say we are VERY gratefull for you playing for the Colts and wish you much more success and then draft best DE/OLB with 3rd pick and the next pick find a stud WR or a FS and Colts getting back 2 condional picks from trades and then picking the best player available and the Colts will be ready to dominate the AFC for years to come...

Go Colts...

Yes, it's no secret we need a better O line.  25 teams can also make the same claim.  Finding that talent is going to be Grigs big test.  He'll have the money.

Making use of what we have and not getting Andrew killed is Arians job.  I'd love to see more quick screens and less empty backfield sets.  Also, use Fleener's size more in the redzone.

But I have to assume BA knows a little more about how to use his personnel than I do.

I know we are rebuilding this team, but we did not hire in rookies for the job of linemen. We hired supposedly veterans for this job.Then how is it the right side of our line is more like a bunch of kids playing on the school yard? Now i know why these players were cut from other teams they cannot cut it themselves,send them to canada HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's no secret we need a better O line.  25 teams can also make the same claim.  Finding that talent is going to be Grigs big test.  He'll have the money.

Making use of what we have and not getting Andrew killed is Arians job.  I'd love to see more quick screens and less empty backfield sets.  Also, use Fleener's size more in the redzone.

But I have to assume BA knows a little more about how to use his personnel than I do.

why assume that when he has proven differently all year long?

why assume that when he has proven differently all year long?

Okay, I won't assume.  I know that Arians knows how to use his personnel better than I do.  

So, to summarize, as far as the order of how to use the personnel, it's 1)  Just about everyone on the forum; 2) Arians; 3) Me.

Darn, it's lonely at the bottom.

Arians has been coaching for almost forty years. He has a team that won two games last year in position to go to the playoffs this year. A team with more than 30 million in dead money. Its pretty safe to say he knows what to do with his personnel better than anyone here. Just a hunch

A lot of people are blaming Arians.....they said before the game that he has been telling Luck to not be afraid to throw to his outlet. Luck is the one that isn't playing small ball. Arians is not at fault for Luck staying in the pocket too long when they blitz 6 guys and trying to go down field. Before the Buffalo game Dave Wanstadt was quoted as saying something about Luck's biggest weakness right now is not using his underneath guys.

Lots of us seem to think he's calling 4 go routes on every down. That is not the case.

and yet he has had 2 receiving Tight Ends blocking for a large majority of the season when they could have been used to at the very least to move the chains on short routes, and on an every game basis seem to want to sling the ball downfield time after time like "he knows better then anyone here". For the record Im not doubting he knows more about football and our players strengths and weaknesses but he clearly does not utilize them very often to matter thereby these kinda of debates will always come up rather I make a topic about it (I rarely do), More often then not I join a topic because someone else is concerned about the same things I have been. The question has never been does he know more about our personele its always been is he smart enough to use what he knows about them to the teams advantage. This will be an ongoing question

Arians has been coaching for almost forty years. He has a team that won two games last year in position to go to the playoffs this year. A team with more than 30 million in dead money. Its pretty safe to say he knows what to do with his personnel better than anyone here. Just a hunch

this sounds a lot like the pro arians crowd that was in pittsburgh...till arians was fired. when does a top team like pittsburgh ever fire a good coordinator...especially top offensive coordinators? almost never.

How is that move working for the steelers? They aren't going to the playoffs most likely. Looks like a bad move to me.

Pitt is 10th in total passing yards. Steelers are near the bottom of the league in rushing that does not surprise me with Mendenhall out for most of the season, only 8 rushing TD's all season long, Passing game has been just fine though

It all starts in the trenches. The offense is patchwork and Link should have never started at RT, but who else knows that position. 

Luck is also a rookie who just doesn't know when to throw to the outlet receivers or the running backs. He just wants to get first downs.

Arians is also telegraphing his plays. Two and three TEs, it is a running play. Spread the field on third down, pass. It is like clockwork, you know what is going to happen.

The offensive line, Luck's brain, and Arians playcalling is the thing that is keeping the offense from being very effective.

Although I don't see why we don't run the no-huddle offense. The offense is very fast and is built for it, I don't see why not.

How is that move working for the steelers? They aren't going to the playoffs most likely. Looks like a bad move to me.

Their issues have nothing to do with letting Arians go. 

Roethlisberger has been hurt.

Mendenhall has been hurt.

DeCastro, their 1st round OL has been hurt.

Plays on defense hurt.    And they play in a brutal conference.

Not having Arians isn't their problem.

It all starts in the trenches. The offense is patchwork and Link should have never started at RT, but who else knows that position. 

Luck is also a rookie who just doesn't know when to throw to the outlet receivers or the running backs. He just wants to get first downs.

Arians is also telegraphing his plays. Two and three TEs, it is a running play. Spread the field on third down, pass. It is like clockwork, you know what is going to happen.

The offensive line, Luck's brain, and Arians playcalling is the thing that is keeping the offense from being very effective.

Although I don't see why we don't run the no-huddle offense. The offense is very fast and is built for it, I don't see why not.

arians doesn't throw to rb's...he has stated as much. he didn't do it in pitt either.

O-Lineman in FA:

OG Andy Levitre

O-lineman in Draft:

1. OG Chance Warmack, OG Jonathan Cooper, or OT Eric Fisher

3. OT Brennan Williams or OG Larry Warford (Depending on who we pick in the first)

Out of that mix you have I would like to sign either Levitre or Louis Vasquez at OG in free agency.

Then in the draft hopefully OG Larry Warford falls to us in the 3rd. 1st round I still hope we go with a defensive playmaker. Either in the secondary or pass rush.

Not much we can do about it at this point.  Honestly we knew the line was sub par before all the injuries.  Like I said way back in the off-season we had way more holes than we could fill in one off-season.  The plus side is that Reitz (if he can stay healthy) and Castanzo are a very good combo on the left side.  We need to fix the other three spots and I am sure they will go to work on it this off-season. 

I will say this for everyone wanting to go threw the draft be prepared that these guys will be rookies and they aren't in all likely hood be the answers you want them to be day one.  It will take them some time to grow and develop at a NFL level which means that if we go with a bunch of rookies that our o-line will probably struggle again next year.  As young as this team is there is plenty of time to grow the line with the rest of the players but just be ready that it will not be a quick fix going threw the draft.  Personally I am going to opt for the free agent market.  Sign the best tackle and guard or two that they can get. 

I honestly couldn't believe how bad Linkenbach and McGlynn were today.  JJ Watt is a monster but he just went through them like they weren't on the field.

I really wouldn't mind if Grigson followed the Patriot formula.  Just make sure, more than anything, you have a good offensive line.  If a good QB has a line, the running attack and passing attack will do well regardless of who you have in those positions.  So I hope all the Free Agency money that is left over goes to the offensive line.

Oh, and I am one who hopes Bruce Arians somehow gets a HC job.  I really don't like his offense.  It doesn't fit Luck

Mike mcglynn played like he knew he was going to get beat every time in the trenches. Our 2 guards are weak and soft, we need some size and aggressiveness. Aq Shipley is promising, he ain't afraid to pop anybody. Anthony castonzo is kinda soft to

Whole line got owned today too many straight up whiffs! Thats due to superior talent on Texans dlline!!! Luck had no time to make progressions or even scramble the pocket collapsed so many times. All that said we still were in this game if not for blocked punt & couple questionable calls!!!!! Worst game of the season by far but i will take it why u ask? We were on the road against a superior talent & had a chance to win it with no offense line!!! Call me crazy but today even though we didnt win i came away impressed & much more confident for the playoffs! Before i thought we would be one & done but not so much now! All Luck needs is a second more to find the open receiver which he will if all healthy. Link got owned today by bobble head WATT which i expected:( Take the blocked punt away & the bogus holding call on Waynes TD & things would have been interesting folks!!!!! BELIEVE!