Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck could have run it in

oldunclemark

I was almost to the point of a heart attack before that play.....after we scored, I think I blacked out and went into a coma for 20 minutes. After the storm passed, I came to and started complaining about the play-calling and how Luck should've just kept it.

True freakin story.

The comebacks against GB and Detroit.... are the kind you almost never see

..especially in an offense that starts four rookies and seven players who were not in the organization in january

I hear statistical comparisons...citing Luck's interceptions...but in 'Tebow-speak' so far.....all he does is win

I thouhgt he set it up...unintentionally...

The Lions got a lot of criticism for all being in the end zone./...but the first three passes on the first 3 downs were to the back of the end zone..

The 7 Detroit defenders assumed another pass to the back of the end zone. ..and some had their backs turned..

I thought that Luck was running forward in case Avery was tackled....that he could lateral...

That would have been the strangest ending ever

I thought it was the right move to toss the ball to Avery. Avery was at full speed and Luck was trying to accelerate. I think the distance the ball traveled and Avery's speed got the ball in there. If Luck would have kept it, I believe the defenderst would have gotten to him sooner than they did Avery. Watch it full speed and see how fast Avery is moving and then bursts into the endzone almost untouched. Doesn't seem like a whole lot, but in the NFL, a little is a lot.

Luck could have ran the ball and gotten first downs on several plays yesterday. It's a part of his game he seems to have scaled back a little too much. But when he finally decided to start running again it got us over the top.

I've been saying that for this all season. Colts are more successful when Luck runs the ball at least a couple of times. I'm not asking Arians to call run plays for Luck. The pocket always seems to collapse around him, not in front of him and usually leaves a running lane for him. I think Arians told him to stop running because players were head hunting but Luck is getting hit harder and more often when he holds on to the ball too long or he forces a pass. I'd rather him go down like Manning or tuck and run.

Arians made the comment a few weeks ago he didn't want to "risk Luck's health" by running. If he didn't notice, Luck is a beast. Unless he gets blindsided, he can take on nearly anyone in the league. They need to let him run more in situations where nothing is open. His game play is so much smoother and more effective when he can run as needed.

I almost keeled over when Luck threw that last ball ...

He was running full speed..He runs a 4.5 or 4.6....and he's 235 pounds or so..

..all the Lions were in the end zone and he had a blocker....(Avery)

Just RUN....He could have RUN it in...right?

Its amazing how it all worked out....8-4

He could have run, but Avery was already running full speed and he got those 5 yards quicker on the pass than he would have on the run, I think he may get tackled at the 1 if he tucks it. The pass was the right move,

He could have run, but Avery was already running full speed and he got those 5 yards quicker on the pass than he would have on the run, I think he may get tackled at the 1 if he tucks it. The pass was the right move,

my fear was that Avery dropped the pass......but he would NEVER do that, right? :thmsup:

Given where Luck was, if he had crossed the line of scrimmage, the Lions defenders would be coming in from the end zone full speed because Luck could not throw the illegal forward pass. Him being behind the line of scrimmage is what held the defenders back and Avery had more speed built up because he was running a crossing route all the way from the other side.

Plus, would you rather have Avery blocking for Luck or Luck blocking for Avery? Hate to say it, but the latter seemed like a better option, LOL :).

I've been saying that for this all season. Colts are more successful when Luck runs the ball at least a couple of times. I'm not asking Arians to call run plays for Luck. The pocket always seems to collapse around him, not in front of him and usually leaves a running lane for him. I think Arians told him to stop running because players were head hunting but Luck is getting hit harder and more often when he holds on to the ball too long or he forces a pass. I'd rather him go down like Manning or tuck and run.

I agree. Luck is a pocket passer who also has running talents. We don't want to see him running all of the time, but you don't want him just stuck in the pocket like Peyton. We control the time of possession and move the chains a lot better when Luck makes a decision to run the ball after he sees nothing is open. I don't think he should be advised not to run up to the point where he is not hardly making any attempts. It's an integral part of his game. I think he needs to do it more than he did yesterday. Just slide quickly!

Given where Luck was, if he had crossed the line of scrimmage, the Lions defenders would be coming in from the end zone full speed because Luck could not throw the illegal forward pass. Him being behind the line of scrimmage is what held the defenders back and Avery had more speed built up because he was running a crossing route all the way from the other side.

Plus, would you rather have Avery blocking for Luck or Luck blocking for Avery? Hate to say it, but the latter seemed like a better option, LOL :).

Oh. God No...I wanted Avery...who downfield blocks for a living (they say)

to block for Luck whe was running towards the line at full speed....at 235 pounds.....

I felt sick for a second when he threw a 4th down pass to a player at the 9-yard line..risking not only him dropping it but not being able to get in...

...but with that said....Luck's improv skills are top notch .....he explained it after the game..

I dont know where he got the knack for winning close games (he didnt have a lot in college) but he has that 'make up a play' rolodex in his head..

he helped with this game with his legs on the last drive. i don't know why they don't let him roll out more. he is a sitting target in the pocket. guys are hanging over him as he is throwing the ball. let him roll out and throw it or take off running.

Most of the drive at first glance it looked like they were pretty much in a prevent, with a lot of zone coverage and only rushing their front 4, so tucking it and running should have been one of the first options.

Final play they were still pretty deep for a goal to goal situation. I believe he would have scored if he had ran it, he was close to being beyond the LOS as it was, and the play worked.

Just call Andrew "Mr. Clutch" not just because of what he did yesterday in crunch time, but because he's been doing it all season and for a rookie to be doing that is incredibly amazing! I never remember a rookie QB doing anything close to what he's been doing this year at the end of games! He plays his best when the game is on the line, and nothing seems to faze him in crunch time when most games are won, and for this reason I think this bodes well for us not only making the playoffs but possibly going deep into the playoffs! There's something very special about this kid, that makes me truly believe over the next decade that we will be hoisting not just one Lombardi trophy but several!

Already stated...but he froze the defenders by rolling out. Great play call, with Luck being a running threat the defense had to account for him. Watch the play; they were spying him thinking Luck was going to try and take it in, and he flips to Avery and he sped right into the end zone. Had it been a pocket pass the DBs would all be back playing coverage. Much less chance of a completion....great call and execution

I thouhgt he set it up...unintentionally...

The Lions got a lot of criticism for all being in the end zone./...but the first three passes on the first 3 downs were to the back of the end zone..

The 7 Detroit defenders assumed another pass to the back of the end zone. ..and some had their backs turned..

I thought that Luck was running forward in case Avery was tackled....that he could lateral...

That would have been the strangest ending ever

The lateral was what I was thinking,would have worked if avery was about to be hit.need to add it to the play book.

Once again Andrew shows his football intelligence.

He blocked because he realized throwing to Avery was the wrong decision.

As he expressed in the post-game interview you are taught to pass the ball to a receiver already in teh endzone when there is no time remaining on the clock, but everyone was covered so he had no choice but to throw to Avery or run it in.

I think throwing to avery threw all the defenders off actually because they started to close on Luck - bracing to tackle a bigger slower target but it was hard to tell what Andrew was going to do and by the time Avery had it he was already closing quickly with luck blocking to his left. That is tough for any defender to cover.

I have a friend who works for the Colts, and apparently he threw the pass so he could stop all the posters on this forum yapping about his TD / INT ratio being unacceptable......

Just sayin.....

lol...well played :)

Honestly, my take on it was Luck was more confident that he could get in front of Avery to block if need be than he was that Avery would block for him if need be. Could very well be wrong but that's what I thought when I saw the play.

On a side note, did the defense the Lions were in on that play remind anyone else of the Colts defense of years past...especially last year? All the Lions actually in the end zone, too deep to do anything about it? I can't put into words how glad I am to have Pagano, Manusky and a brand new defensive philosophy. :D

I thought it was the right move to toss the ball to Avery. Avery was at full speed and Luck was trying to accelerate. I think the distance the ball traveled and Avery's speed got the ball in there. If Luck would have kept it, I believe the defenderst would have gotten to him sooner than they did Avery. Watch it full speed and see how fast Avery is moving and then bursts into the endzone almost untouched. Doesn't seem like a whole lot, but in the NFL, a little is a lot.

Exactly what I saw. Plus, I do not want my QB to have to go head first into the end zone on the last play of the game if another (better) option is there. and if the QB see's a hit coming at the line and slides, he falls short. When a QB slides, the ball is placed where he gives himself up (beginning of slide, not where he ends up). I'm glad he dumped that one off for multiple reason you bring out.

Arians made the comment a few weeks ago he didn't want to "risk Luck's health" by running. If he didn't notice, Luck is a beast. Unless he gets blindsided, he can take on nearly anyone in the league. They need to let him run more in situations where nothing is open. His game play is so much smoother and more effective when he can run as needed.

If/when Luck runs, I want it to the outside where he can toe the sideline and slip out when defenders come, or in open field and an early foot first slide. I do not want him taking shots (especially helmet hits) as a full runner.

Luck almost beat Avery to the endzone. Unreal. :)

True, but... Avery was at full gallop running sideline to sideline while Luck was accelerating toward the goal line when he dumped it off. Avery then had top plant and cut North, and he was still able to get to pay dirt before Luck and the Lion defenders converging from the back of the end zone. plus, Luck isn't exactly slow to begin with. ;)

Exactly what I saw. Plus, I do not want my QB to have to go head first into the end zone on the last play of the game if another (better) option is there. and if the QB see's a hit coming at the line and slides, he falls short. When a QB slides, the ball is placed where he gives himself up (beginning of slide, not where he ends up). I'm glad he dumped that one off for multiple reason you bring out.

Go back and look at it again...

Luck was moving towards the goal line..Avery was running towards the sidelines hardly at full speed.

Om the last play of the game...I dont have any problem with the QB diving head first into the end zone..to win the game...

Plus..Avery could have dropped the ball...Luck alrday had it and there was no one between him and the goal...and arguably, he's faster than Avery is now.

hey I'm just glad it worked..but you NEVER throw the ball to someone on on the 9-yard line on the last play of the game..

Andrew said as much

OK, here it is - still frame. (pix are small enough, or mods can delete at some point)

Arians calls in play. Shotgun 5 wide. All WR explode off line except Avery.

FinalPlay_1.png

Avery now speeds up parallel to the line while other 4 WR sprint to end zone. Luck begins to look for way out of the pocket.

FinalPlay_2.png

Luck and Avery in the clear.

FinalPlay_3.png

Luck dumps it off at speed, Avery slowing to catch it and cut to end zone

FinalPlay_4.png

Luck still gliding Donnie turning for pay dirt

FinalPlay_5.png

The sprint for the line is on!

FinalPlay_6.png

Luck not in position to block, or maybe even beat the defenders to the spot. But Avery is!

FinalPlay_7.png

TD Colts, FTW! Luck gets to pull up and avoid contact and celebrate throwing up the number 1 signs! Woo hoo!

I'm glad he dumped it instead of trucking it in.

FinalPlay_8.png

I just want to say the pictures above are exactly why Luck didn't run it. Avery was five yards closer and there were three Lions that were closing on Avery that would have been there had Luck ran it not to mention Suh gave up on the play as he was closing because Luck dumped the ball he MIGHT have been able to make a play from behind had Luck not dumped it. That split second saved by dumping it off to Avery rather than running it is probably the difference between that being a TD and maybe being stopped a yard short.