Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arains landing another gig

Coltivated

Here's the other thing I am not sure Arians wants to be a head coach. He did it before and hasn't really seemed like he wants to do it again. He's doing it now because of the situation. We saw this before with Moore some guys just don't want to be head coaches.

Oji already posted a link saying Arians has always wanted to coach his own nfl team. I also remember in the press conference about chuck, he said he'd always wanted to be a HC in the nfl but "not like this".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thunk you may be missing something..here

Arinas may be our permanent head coach if Chuck Pagano cannot ever return.....

I agree. As much as I like Chuck and wish him the very best in beating his illness, nothing in life is certain.

But again, to end on a positive note, Go Chuck!! Beat It!! Come Back!!

And to think that the Steelers ran him out of town...

and now we're discussing if he'll leave for a head coaching job. We definitely capitalized on the Steelers' mistake.

Now, as for leaving. If he has an impressive 6 or so weeks as a HC, he will definitely get consideration from other teams seeking a new HC.

Yes, we are benefitting from their mistake. I was quite impressed by his words and demeanor after the GB game. He appears very much to be a players coach. And the fact that several players (incl. Luck) casually referred to him as "BA" told me a lot.

I would love to see Luck run a pistol offense and use his speed in the option game.

Chan's offense would be a lot better if he could have more talent on the offensive side of the ball.

He really just has 2 good RBs in Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. Just imagine what he could do to our offense with Luck at the helm

Forgive me, I don't mean to pick on just one poster....... BUT....

I want no part of a cute, gimmick offense like the pistol, and I want no part of anything that puts Luck in harms way deliberately by having him use his speed in the option game.

In a word...... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :thmdown::yuk::no::loco: :slaphead: :facepalm:

Didn't mean to go off like that.... but the idea just smacked me right in the head!

Apologies to Tark....

Forgive me, I don't mean to pick on just one poster....... BUT....

I want no part of a cute, gimmick offense like the pistol, and I want no part of anything that puts Luck in harms way deliberately by having him use his speed in the option game.

In a word...... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :thmdown::yuk::no::loco: :slaphead: :facepalm:

Didn't mean to go off like that.... but the idea just smacked me right in the head!

Apologies to Tark....

I understand where you are coming from when talking Luck being in harm's way.

But he doesn't have to be on the run 24/7 all the time. Fitzpartick in Buffalo doesn't run a whole lot when they run it.

So far, i just haven't seen a lot of creativity on the offense yet. Like more 2 TE sets.

My point is, I am not a fan of the Arians offense so far. And if Arians landed another gig, I am just thinking of excellent OCs that bring creativity to their teams.

But he doesn't have to be on the run 24/7 all the time. Fitzpartick in Buffalo doesn't run a whole lot when they run it.

So far, i just haven't seen a lot of creativity on the offense yet. Like more 2 TE sets.

My point is, I am not a fan of the Arians offense so far. And if Arians landed another gig, I am just thinking of excellent OCs that bring creativity to their teams.

Thanks..... I appreciate the response.... and I understand what you're saying....

I think the reason we're not seeing a more creative offense is two issues...

First, and I harp on this all the time, our terrible offensive line. There's only so much they can do.

Second, so many rookie, or other young, inexperienced players playing important parts.

I think between those two issues, we're limited on what we can do. This is my hunch at least....

I'm hoping for a much improved roster next year... plus, when the game slows down for Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Brazil and Ballard, I think the offense will be greatly improved...

At least, that's my hope!! (please, let it be so! Please! Please!! Please!!!!)

Thanks..... I appreciate the response.... and I understand what you're saying....

I think the reason we're not seeing a more creative offense is two issues...

First, and I harp on this all the time, our terrible offensive line. There's only so much they can do.

Second, so many rookie, or other young, inexperienced players playing important parts.

I think between those two issues, we're limited on what we can do. This is my hunch at least....

I'm hoping for a much improved roster next year... plus, when the game slows down for Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Brazil and Ballard, I think the offense will be greatly improved...

At least, that's my hope!! (please, let it be so! Please! Please!! Please!!!!)

Well the offensive line is not that great. Surprised Luck hasn't been hit more than he already has.

And from what I have seen, the offense is starting to gel, so we will see more and more creativity I am hoping because we have plenty of speed and Allen/Fleener has the potential to be the best 1-2 punch at TE.

When we get all that dead cap space back, I don't really see us going after high price free agents, but we will grab a lot of talent on both sides. Grigson being an offensive lineman himself, knows that O-line is important for a young team.

I just think right now, Luck isn't having all his skills being utilized correctly from what I have seen. And the more he stands back in the pocket, the more worried I become for him, get him so rollouts or something so he is not taking a pounding. Like that Nick Perry hit.

This is hysterical. After the Vikings and Jags games there were threads about Arians lack of creativitiy and if I recall correctly, some that wanted him gone. Now there is a thread about hm becoming a head coach after the season for another team. Pretty funny stuff.

Good ol jskinnz.

In reality, this is the perfect scenario for Bruce Arians. He's going to get an extended audition as a head coach. I like how he managed the game last week, aside from the illegal challenge. I liked his 4th down decision, if not the playcall. I think the game plan was more balanced in the last two games than it was the first two. And I definitely like the adjustments we made in the second half. If Arians continues to make solid decisions, and if we win a good amount of games, it would seem strange for him not to get interest after this season.

Arians was let go, it happens coaches get let go especially coordinators, also we dont know if any of those Coordinators will be head coaches at all, Arians has been involved in football for a long time (I believe 30 years or more) and Im not sure anyone was talking about him being a head coach in fact he was retired until the Colts called him up

Arians was let go because he was nothing more than an average coordinator in Pittsburgh. His offenses were above average on yardage but could never score consistently. Everyone always points to his superbowl rings as if that proves he's some sort of offensive genius, when in reality, he has those rings mainly because of Dick Lebeau. Pittsburgh's offense always seemed to look best when they were in hurry-up (when Arians WASN'T calling the plays)

In the case of the coordinators you've named, they all have good reputations right now from leading top shelf offenses recently. They won't be fired unless their head coach is fired. Besides, coordinators can't do laterals without consent from their current employers, even if they wanted to leave.

Good ol jskinnz.

In reality, this is the perfect scenario for Bruce Arians. He's going to get an extended audition as a head coach. I like how he managed the game last week, aside from the illegal challenge. I liked his 4th down decision, if not the playcall. I think the game plan was more balanced in the last two games than it was the first two. And I definitely like the adjustments we made in the second half. If Arians continues to make solid decisions, and if we win a good amount of games, it would seem strange for him not to get interest after this season.

One, the irony of this thread just strikes me funny given people's thoughts in the first couple of week of the season. Two, his time to be a head coach outside of the current circumstances has come and gone. He does not fit the demographic that teams would be looking for in a new head coach. I find it strange that he did not get interest when he was a younger man and having success in Pittsburgh. Last, my guess is that he likes where he is, with Pagano back or not, in working with Luck.

One, the irony of this thread just strikes me funny given people's thoughts in the first couple of week of the season. Two, his time to be a head coach outside of the current circumstances has come and gone. He does not fit the demographic that teams would be looking for in a new head coach. I find it strange that he did not get interest when he was a younger man and having success in Pittsburgh. Last, my guess is that he likes where he is, with Pagano back or not, in working with Luck.

agreed

I think those parameters, demographically speaking, go out the window, when you have an interim coach who had success with a team under some trying circumstances. Of course, today's game knocks the entire coaching staff down several pegs from where they were prior, but if Arians can do a good job overall, I think he'll get interest.

I think those parameters, demographically speaking, go out the window, when you have an interim coach who had success with a team under some trying circumstances. Of course, today's game knocks the entire coaching staff down several pegs from where they were prior, but if Arians can do a good job overall, I think he'll get interest.

And I think he won't which pretty much brings us to an impasse.

There's gotta be a reason he's never even got a sniff at a head coaching job before this (despite admitting he's interested in being one), and I think it's more than just politics. Owners and GM's must see something in his coaching that they don't like.

There's gotta be a reason he's never even got a sniff at a head coaching job before this (despite admitting he's interested in being one), and I think it's more than just politics. Owners and GM's must see something in his coaching that they don't like.

That's not surprising to me. I'm not saying he'll be the most attractive assistant out there. I'm really just saying that he's getting an opportunity right now that most assistants don't get, and that's to show how he can impact a team as a head coach. If -- IF -- the team responds well and wins a good amount of games, and if the offense shows something special, I think he'll get interest. It's a season-long audition.

If the Saints turn it on in the second half of the season, I think Joe Vitt will get interest, and he's just as old and has been around just as long as Bruce Arians. If they had started out well, Aaron Kromer would have been in line for interviews.

When you have a chance to do the job, and you do it well, you usually get recognition for that. The "IF" at this point is whether Arians can do it well. I was hoping he'd build off the second half from last week, but we got a pretty smelly leftover from the first half instead.

I dont think BA is doing a bad job...he cant throw the ball for Andrew....or make decisions for him....But that Def Coordinator...a different story...I didnt like dude at San Diego....at this point Zibs needs to be ridin' that pine...and the Linebackers were a HUGE let down...we are missing our DL...and maybe some investments should be made in that but dang....that was awful yesterday. Shonn Greene is NOT GOOD but he ate us all up

Rick Dennison is 1 person who I would like to target, the Texans likely wont let him go and I think he just signed a deal recently but if they do by the time Arians contract is up Dennison runs a Zone/Stretch blocking scheme and Brown ran well behind our Zone Blocking last year on limited carries, Not to mention Dennison is not having Schaub throw the ball an average of 44 times per game

Rick Dennison is 1 person who I would like to target, the Texans likely wont let him go and I think he just signed a deal recently but if they do by the time Arians contract is up Dennison runs a Zone/Stretch blocking scheme and Brown ran well behind our Zone Blocking last year on limited carries, Not to mention Dennison is not having Schaub throw the ball an average of 44 times per game

Dennison is a great coach for the o-line. He'd be great here but I doubt he'd be available, like you said.

I'd like for the Colts to go after someone in the Pats organization, for the simple fact that they have a proven record in running a successful version of the 2 TE offense we're trying to run. I don't want McDaniel's, though. You know 'The Hoodie' always has young, brilliant coaching minds on his staff just waiting on an opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why it really matters. I like Arians but if he leaves Pagano will still run the team just fine. Hes going to find someone that runs a similar style of Offense. I hope he stays but in a couple years Luck will be running the Offense just like Manning did.

Aside from a few situational gaffs here and there, I think Arians has done well. I've been one of the most critical of his play calling in the past but I give props where they are due. I've liked his calls from the last 2 games, and he is mixing it up more. A lot more quick release passes today than we've seen in previous games. He's also done a good job with play action and sticking with the run when it's working. Hope he keeps it up!

Sorry,but i have to disagree. I love the new offense. If our O line gets better and Ballard and Brown turn into a great 1,2 punch like i think they will and the WR CORPS (except wayne) learn to catch the ball i think we will be unstoppable on Offense. Ill admit Arians REALLY NEEDS to improve his playcalling but other than that im extremely happy.

Hypothetically The colts win the majority of the rest of the season and make it anywear in the playoffs. I believe thier could be a possibitlity of another team interviewing him as a head coaching candidate. He said it has always been a goal of his. I know it is way too early to speculate i just have too much time on my hands lol. Dolphins, Browns, chiefs, cowgirs ?

Your title is misleading. you are speculating. put that in your title instead of making someone think otherwise.

Arians sure has a flair for the dramatic, thus being a good motivator, it seems like.

One thing I am not sure is if Chuck is the primary motivating factor or Arians. Of course, Arians likes to get into the background quickly whenever Chuck is mentioned but he deserves a LOT of credit. He has let Luck blossom with the growing pains.

Arians was let go because he was nothing more than an average coordinator in Pittsburgh. His offenses were above average on yardage but could never score consistently. Everyone always points to his superbowl rings as if that proves he's some sort of offensive genius, when in reality, he has those rings mainly because of Dick Lebeau. Pittsburgh's offense always seemed to look best when they were in hurry-up (when Arians WASN'T calling the plays)

In the case of the coordinators you've named, they all have good reputations right now from leading top shelf offenses recently. They won't be fired unless their head coach is fired. Besides, coordinators can't do laterals without consent from their current employers, even if they wanted to leave.

Thank The Lord I can't believe what I'm reading but thankfully someone has their eyes open. Arians is a horrible HC and maybe (maybe!) a half decent breath of a coordinator. Good QB developer yes but nothing else.

He lives off of special QBs making special plays. If Ben wasn't able to make the miracles happen that he made in Pit Arians would be an laughing stock and out of the league! If you notice sadly Luck is having to do the same thing because of the crap play calling. Honestly I hope hes gone by next year and we get a good OC since I think Luck has already developed at a rapid pace.

Sorry,but i have to disagree. I love the new offense. If our O line gets better and Ballard and Brown turn into a great 1,2 punch like i think they will and the WR CORPS (except wayne) learn to catch the ball i think we will be unstoppable on Offense. Ill admit Arians REALLY NEEDS to improve his playcalling but other than that im extremely happy.

Yes I have been pleased with how the offense has performed of late.

Right now, I think Arians does enough to win the game. Which I am perfectly fine with that.