Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 10th ranked o line after 3 weeks

Jules

TBH there are a lot of really bad looking o lines out there right now. Our next opponent, the Packers.....their o line has looked like a complete mess and is ranked dead last.

Let Mathis loose! And Freeney, I suppose, if he's healthy. Too bad our OL has to say hello to Clay Matthews and Nick Perry.

There is no formula, it's sorted by sacks allowed as far as I can tell.

Ah, right you are. Just noticed.

Sacks allowed is a phantom stat for an offensive line. Luck is mobile and sees the rush and usually finds a way to avoid it. Same thing Manning did for all those years. After 2006 when we quit caring about our O-line Manning remained one of the least sacked QB's in the league, but that is NOT a testament to our line. It's a testament to his quick release and ability to avoid the rush, which he was usually ALWAYS doing.

Luck is just picking up where Peyton left off.

The "Phantom Stat" thing works the other way, too. An O-line could be pretty respectable, but a QB who holds the ball too long, or runs around out of the pocket like a meathead and takes sacks makes his line seem worse than it really is.

We're tied for 23rd in QB hits. We're tied for 19th in yards per carry.

The more accurate headline would be that we're 10th in sacks allowed, which isn't any way to rate the play of the offensive line, for reasons that have already been highlighted in this thread. I'd rather be 10th than 30th, but that doesn't mean we have the 10th best offensive line or even the 10th best pass protection.

I agree with those who say much of it is due to Andrew escaping many sacks.

Which begs the question though. Why can't an Aaron Rodgers escape the sacks as well? Is Rodgers just holding onto the ball too long?

I knew this thread would be an active one. :cheer2:

I agree with those who say much of it is due to Andrew escaping many sacks.

Which begs the question though. Why can't an Aaron Rodgers escape the sacks as well? Is Rodgers just holding onto the ball too long?

I knew this thread would be an active one. :cheer2:

Maybe some day Rodgers will be on the same level as Luck (or is that the other way around). :)

TBH there are a lot of really bad looking o lines out there right now. Our next opponent, the Packers.....their o line has looked like a complete mess and is ranked dead last.

Well to be fair to the Packers, they've played the Niners, the Bears, and the Seahawks. All three of those teams have very good D-lines and LBs. Plus, it may be a little too early to rank offensive units just after three games. But it is a good stat to keep up with after halfway through the season.

I think he does hold the ball too long a lot of times, waiting for the play to really develop before he throws. I also don't think he sees the rush as well as most QB's.

Well to be fair to the Packers, they've played the Niners, the Bears, and the Seahawks. All three of those teams have very good D-lines and LBs. Plus, it may be a little too early to rank offensive units just after three games. But it is a good stat to keep up with after halfway through the season.

It's not just who they have played... As I said above, Rodgers has a tendency to get himself into trouble, and their line just isn't very good.

http://www.nfl.com/s...=true&Submit=Go

Thoughts?

Meaningless? Interesting? Relevant?

http://www.nfl.com/s...=true&Submit=Go

Thoughts?

Meaningless? Interesting? Relevant?

Mostly meaningless. Andrew worked hard at Stanford with moving in the pocket. We can see he learned well. A heck of an asset, hey Vick!

We have high hopes he can be a top 5 QB a few years from now. He will still need LOTS of Help down the road. LOTS!!!!

I thought Reitz looked good, so for a thrown together O-Line year one, I think our anticipated starting five will pass block pretty darn well once together.

Run blocking may LOOK Iffy, largely because we don`t seem to have a quality RB who sees and hits holes.

We will get experience this year, IMO we need a top 3 pick in next years draft very bad.

We have pass block potential

Why do you say this? Someone mentioned we're 23 in QB hits, and quite honestly the only reason we're not last is because he avoids as much as he can. So far, it's been far more rare than not that he was able to stand up, set his feet and make a comfortable throw from the pocket.

Hopefully it gets better with Reitz coming back.

Pass Blocking wise it should get better, not great or really good but better, Run Blocking wise it wont because Reitz is not really a Drive Blocker in my opinion and that seems to be what Arians asks his O Line to do quite a bit of

Why do you say this? Someone mentioned we're 23 in QB hits, and quite honestly the only reason we're not last is because he avoids as much as he can. So far, it's been far more rare than not that he was able to stand up, set his feet and make a comfortable throw from the pocket.

Because our line when against some premiere pass rushers

im not surprised at this, but if there was a stat for QB under pressure the colts would be dead last

we are 23rd in the league in QB hits allowed through three games with 15, with that the Redskins are second worst with 23 and Eagles are last with 28 allowed