Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 2 vs Vikings

Superman

I'm going to try to get grades up tonight or tomorrow morning. Until then, this is a placeholder.

But tell me your impressions of the team's overall performance. What grades would you give each unit? Offense, defense, special teams, and coaching?

v137i14news02_first_.jpg.jpg

Offense, C -- 63 plays, 278 yards, zero turnovers, 17 first downs (10 passing, 5 rushing, 2 penalties), 7/16 on 3rd down, 23 points

QB -- Not perfect. Far from perfect, as a matter of fact, but really good. Nice home debut for the rookie, and a nice bounce back from a tough game last week. Handled the tempo well, kept himself in position to make plays, was accurate all over the field, and made some top notch throws. Used his legs really well also. A couple of silly mistakes, like trying to scramble out of a pressure and losing 22 yards in a sack. That play really hurt field position and helped the Vikings score the second touchdown. Looked like he missed a couple of receivers on key downs as well. All is forgiven for showing the poise he did on the final drive, though, and getting his first 4th quarter win in the NFL. Luck has been very efficient and effective on drives to end the half and the game, dating back to preseason. Continued that here, and having the most clutch kicker in the NFL helps. Still plenty of improvement to be made, but this was an impressive performance. B

Receivers and backs -- Welcome to the Colts, Mr. Avery. Reggie was again solid. Dwayne Allen looked nice on the touchdown. That's about it though. And the backs did next to nothing for most of the game. Not entirely their fault, but I don't know what else to say. Averaging 2.4 ypc is insane. And, for whatever reason, we didn't make very much effort to include the backs in the passing game either. That's okay, we were effective without them, but really we shut our offense down in the second half, and the running game did nothing to make that decision work out positively (more on that in coaching). Not too much to say here, other than our passing game is a mile ahead of our run game. C+

Blocking -- Still a ton of work to do, but I'm not going to be too hard on them. We were banged up coming into this one, and right away lost our center. Plus two other linemen. Pass protection was better, but the run blocking just continued to not be there. McGlynn with a few bad snaps when he moved over to center, but he blocked better there than at guard, I thought. We wound up trying to put the game away with our run game, and failed miserably. I hope that, either the line gets better as the season goes on, or we learn different ways to move the chains and convert on 3rd and short. So, slightly better performance, but still not thrilled. D

Defense, B -- 65 plays, 327 yards, one turnover, 19 first downs (14 passing, 4 rushing, 1 penalty), 7/15 on 3rd down, 20 points

Defensive front -- Tremendous job. This is what Building the Monster should look like. I think there were 9 plays for a loss or no gain, including sacks. Handled our assignments, stayed around the ball, tackled reasonably well, and looked like a defense that could be dominant. Jerrell Freeman was incredible. Cory Redding was fantastic. Mathis and Hughes both made plays on the quarterback and for loss. I'm very impressed with the fact that their traditional run game didn't rip off anything more than an 8 yarder all game long, and we had a chance to get that one for less. Big short yardage stop on Peterson, right before the fluke touchdown on 4th down. We were also around the ball on short completions, for the most part. Very, very solid effort. Still room to improve in the little things, but this is a huge positive against a team that can run the ball very effectively. B+

Pass defense -- If you want to stop the big play, this is how you do it. According to my numbers, before the final two drives, Ponder was 16/20 with 156 yards and 4 sacks. Adjusted for sacks, that's 6.0 yards per pass play. Best of all, they had six points to show for it. Too many completions, especially with the flurry at the end, and that's something that hopefully we'll get tightened up. But in terms of limiting the other team's passing offense, we did an outstanding job for 3+ quarters. Against a better quarterback with better pass protection, we might have been burnt, but our corners did a good job for the most part. They shifted Harvin to get him favorable matchups, and found one in Justin King. But Powers and Davis weren't giving up anything. Bethea played well all over the field. Our other safety didn't do much, but also didn't give up much. I think there was a missed tackle by Zbikowski, and that's no good, but not the end of the world. We can get better here as well; I'd like to see us challenge receivers a little more on the inside. And I'd like to see an adjustment that keeps the other team from scoring two touchdowns in four minutes, especially when the quarterback is Christian Ponder. Three weeks from now, we get a really big test. As of right now, we're not up for it, but I feel better than I did last week after getting torched by Cutler for 300 yards. B

Special teams, C+

We made some mistakes in coverage, and our return game still hasn't made a play. Matter of fact, Hilton didn't look very confident as the return man. He didn't do very much of it during preseason, so the speed adjustment likely still hasn't been made. Don't turn the ball over, fella. No love from us if you do. The punting was kind of inconsistent; McAfee got some pressure, including getting ran into. Lefeged has been really good on coverage this season. But the real saving grace for special teams was AV, and really, he deserves his own A+ for the game-winner. It's crazy that he can miss a virtual gimme at the end of the half last week, then come out and boot a 53 yarder with the game on the line. (And in the perfect irony, Gostkowski misses the 40+ yarder in New England for the game. Suckers.) But this is why I favored keeping AV, despite his price tag -- he's worth all $3.2 million, in case you were wondering. When we have games that we're a kick away from winning, we can put him in and get the win.

Coaching, C

I don't like overly conservative coaching. I think it cost us the Super Bowl against the Saints. It reared its head in the second half in this one, and I had flashbacks. There's a balance we have to strike between the run and the pass, even with the lead in the second half. The first drive of the 3rd quarter produced points, but we got helped by two penalties from the Vikes. It's tough to ask a quarterback to only throw the ball when you're in 2nd and long, 3rd and long, especially a rookie, and especially when your run game is struggling. The balance just isn't there yet. Arians allows the game situation to dictate his playcalling, and it leads to predictable outcomes. Loosen the reins, give Luck some more freedom situationally, and see if your offense that the front office invested so much in this offseason can make something happen for you. Just a couple more first downs in the second half, and the final drive doesn't need to happen. Defensively, we did a good job most of the game, but some adjustments were in order on the last two drives, and they either didn't come or didn't work. This stuff gets magnified when the game goes the way it went, but it would be even worse had we lost. I hope Pagano gets his situational decisions tightened up, because there's no reason not to know whether the clock is running, and there's no reason to accept a five yard penalty when you've just gained 7 yards and are going to kick a field goal. Unless you just want to get your money's worth out of your kicker. Tighten it up, fellas. We're watching.

The divisional nemesis is up next. No question that the Jags are the worst team in the division right now, but they always play us close, no matter the time of year or the venue. MJD has our number, and the Jags are desperate at 0-2.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=320916011

Go Colts!

I think the offensive line pass protected better, and some of that is due to Lucks pocket awareness, but we desperately are in need of a run game.

Offense = B I would give an A but the run game is non existent

Defense = C We can rush the passer but cant stop the run

ST = C Anything is better than our special teams from last year and previous

Coaching = B- Better in this game than last game

Im going to wait until I can watch the full game against Vikings before I give grades but I will say we sure have been able to slow down the run giving up 73.5 yards per game through two games, granted on 45 attempts against us but we have held opposing running games to 3.3 ypc and 1 touchdown. we haven't been able to stop the pass through 2 games teams have completed 48 of 70 passes for 68.6 completion percentage while giving up 273 yards per game and 9 passes of 20 or more yards

we haven't been able to stop the pass through 2 games teams have completed 48 of 70 passes for 68.6 completion percentage while giving up 273 yards per game and 9 passes of 20 or more yards

Rodgers is going to light us up like a Christmas tree in 3 weeks!!! :(

That is why I feel Henne could approach 300 yards if they fell behind. If the game is close, it could be more like 250 passing, 100 rushing.

Rodgers is going to light us up like a Christmas tree in 3 weeks!!! :(

If we can get some pressure on him, we can make the game a little more interesting.

The game is also in Indy. I think the Packers will probably win, but the game will be closer than many people think.

I hope I do not seem too harsh on this because I am so positive about this win and football team. Some things kept my grades low:

Offense: B-: This would have been a C+ if we had turned the ball over. Avery was what we needed him to be. I loved Dwayne Allen's intensity. I may be the only Colt fan who wants to see a little more Mewelde Moore....love his receiving. I saw some people slamming McGlynn....not easy stepping in at center. Thank goodness he was available.

Defense: C: Redding impressed. I was disappointed with the 'wrapping up' yesterday. I was hoping for a little more Vontae Davis as well. Freeman had 13 tackles, but did get lost 3 or 4 times on Peterson runs (But then again who does not :)) Loved the 4 sacks...good to see a Hughes sack. Addison played well on the right as well. I went C primarily for lack of gang tackling....need more men to the ball.We also cannot let Christian Ponder hit us with a 114 + passer rating...DBs need to get better in press coverage.

Special Teams: C-: Yes this one is harsh, and this is my specialty. Harvin KILLED us on 2 returns, and the avg of 27.8 is totally unacceptable. We are back to kicking straight down the field and NOT out of the endzone. I really should change to a C with AV's big kick, but I just can't. 53.6 avg on punting....not a terrible job in punt coverage. Love Pat's directional punting. We are better...we need to attack...and get those kickoffs through the uprights like last year. I want to give an A+!!!!!!

Coaching: Overall a C. We played an average team equally at home. I may be the only one on this board that gives Harold Goodwin Kudos on the OL. Players hurt...switching positions...overcoming mistakes by Essex and Link...big injury to Satele. Manusky: DBs too deep to start the game...reminded me of "Coyer-2 past" for a couple of series. Pagano...is a keeper....that is all I can say...love the style and positive natture win or lose.

Lastly...on a 78 degree beautiful day: To the fans that stayed home an F. This team needs you! WE NEED You 12th Man!!! :blueshoe: :shoe: :helmet: :throwback: :coltshelmet::coltslogo::coltshorse::coltsfb::colts: :colts: :colts: !!!!!!!

The game is also in Indy. I think the Packers will probably win, but the game will be closer than many people think.

I hope so. We expected the Bears to blow us out and they did, IMO.

The Packers' D is not a slouch, at least not against less than stellar O-lines that include the Bears, and maybe ours too.

Offense: B-

Defense: C+

Special Teams: A-

Coaching: B+ then Dropped to a D+ in the 4th

I don't understand the whole "coaching style suddenly changed in the fourth," perspective that everyone has. Penalties and good special teams plays by the Vikings forced us into situations where passing the ball suddenly got a whole lot more dangerous. We ran the ball on first downs in the first, second, third and fourth quarters. They even started off the fourth quarter with a pass on first down.

I don't understand the whole "coaching style suddenly changed in the fourth," perspective that everyone has. Penalties and good special teams plays by the Vikings forced us into situations where passing the ball suddenly got a whole lot more dangerous. We ran the ball on first downs in the first, second, third and fourth quarters. They even started off the fourth quarter with a pass on first down.

I didn't see the game due to the Fact I'm near the Nations Capital. Those grades I gave were based on what everyone in the Chat Room was saying & what I seen on NFL Network & NFL.com

I think the offensive line pass protected better, and some of that is due to Lucks pocket awareness, but we desperately are in need of a run game.

Offense = B I would give an A but the run game is non existent

Defense = C We can rush the passer but cant stop the run

ST = C Anything is better than our special teams from last year and previous

Coaching = B- Better in this game than last game

I would have to highly disagree you there. Holding AP to 60 yds. rushing is pretty darn good IMO. In fact, stopping the run was one of the better aspects of yesterdays game.

I didn't see the game due to the Fact I'm near the Nations Capital. Those grades I gave were based on what everyone in the Chat Room was saying & what I seen on NFL Network & NFL.com

No problem, here is a 'little' analysis I did based of the drives in the second half for the Colts.

First possession of the second half we eat up eat minutes of the clock an score a field goal.

Second possession:

We are on our own 2 yardline and are kinda sorta forced to run the ball. Run, incompletion (not very conservative), run, punt

Fourth quarter begins! Short pass for two yards. Run for four yards. 3rd and four: incomplete pass. It might be conservative, but the only problem is execution. We even had a run for decent yardage.

Next possession:

1. Indianapolis Colts at 12:40
  2. 1-10-IND 19 (12:40) (Run formation) PENALTY on IND-83-D.Allen, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at IND 19 - No Play. BOO!
  3. 1-15-IND 14 (12:40) (Run formation) 33-V.Ballard left guard to IND 12 for -2 yards (50-E.Henderson). BOO! Definitely a bit conservative.
  4. 2-17-IND 12 (12:00) (Shotgun) 33-V.Ballard up the middle to IND 20 for 8 yards (41-M.Raymond). PENALTY on IND-66-T.Essex, Offensive Holding, 6 yards, enforced at IND 12 - No Play. OMG This is getting frustrating. An effective run, but maybe too effective due to Essex. Notice the penalty puts us on the 6 yardline. Rookie QB 2nd and 23, the masses say let Luck fire away. Pagano says no dice, no pick sixes on my watch.
  5. 2-23-IND 6 (11:45) (Run formation) 33-V.Ballard up the middle to IND 9 for 3 yards (93-K.Williams). Conservative, forced to be.
  6. 3-20-IND 9 (11:03) (Shotgun) 26-M.Moore left tackle to IND 7 for -2 yards (50-E.Henderson). Conservative, forced to be.
  7. 4-22-IND 7 (10:23) 1-P.McAfee punts 55 yards to MIN 38, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to MIN 46 for 8 yards (45-M.Overton).

Keep in mind this is with a one touchdown lead.

1. Indianapolis Colts at 05:07
  2. 3-B.Walsh kicks 74 yards from MIN 35 to IND -9. 13-T.Hilton, Touchback.
  3. 1-10-IND 20 (5:07) (Run formation) 31-D.Brown up the middle to IND 20 for no gain (50-E.Henderson). EH?
  4. Timeout #1 by IND at 04:32. ???
  5. 2-10-IND 20 (4:32) (Run formation) 12-A.Luck pass short right to 87-R.Wayne to IND 25 for 5 yards (22-H.Smith; 50-E.Henderson). MIN-50-E.Henderson was injured during the play. Sounds like a situational checkdown. If there are so many in the box, go with the quick slant.
  6. 3-5-IND 25 (4:03) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck pass short left to 11-D.Avery to IND 33 for 8 yards (20-C.Cook). YAY first down! Great catch by Adams.
  7. 1-10-IND 33 (3:20) (Run formation) 31-D.Brown up the middle to IND 33 for no gain (96-B.Robison). SAD D:
  8. Timeout #1 by MIN at 03:13.
  9. 2-10-IND 33 (3:13) (Run formation) 12-A.Luck pass short right to 11-D.Avery to IND 38 for 5 yards (26-A.Winfield; 96-B.Robison). Another situational checkdown/low risk pass to gain some yardage.
  10. Timeout #2 by MIN at 03:07.
  11. 3-5-IND 38 (3:07) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck sacked at IND 16 for -22 yards (97-E.Griffen). Notice the snap is at the Indy 38, if it wasn't for Luck's blunder we could have pinned them down around their thirty or even better. Given an equal punt as the next play or better (no twelve yard return) the Vikings have the ball at their 31 yardline as opposed to our 47.
  12. Timeout #3 by MIN at 03:00.
  13. 4-27-IND 16 (3:00) 1-P.McAfee punts 43 yards to MIN 41, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to IND 47 for 12 yards (97-M.Addison). We needed a better kick and better coverage. Also notice we forced the Vikings to use up all three of their timeouts on this drive. Ultimately it didn't matter, but still something you want a four minute offense to be able to do.

So as you can see, in a number of situations Pagano was forced into conservative playcalling in order to protect his rookie quarterback.

Penalties, failed execution, and just plain poor field position held us back the most, not the coaching philosophy. Hopefully you can see the game for yourself and look back at this data on your own. Watching it live, it did look really conservative, but with analysis things come more clear.

I would have to highly disagree you there. Holding AP to 60 yds. rushing is pretty darn good IMO. In fact, stopping the run was one of the better aspects of yesterdays game.

and has been through 2 games so far actually outside 1 big outside run by Forte that he should have actually been tackled on (I believe we missed 3 different tackles on that play but I would have to go back and make sure I remember Zb being one and I think Hughes)

I hope I do not seem too harsh on this because I am so positive about this win and football team. Some things kept my grades low:

Offense: B-: This would have been a C+ if we had turned the ball over. Avery was what we needed him to be. I loved Dwayne Allen's intensity. I may be the only Colt fan who wants to see a little more Mewelde Moore....love his receiving. I saw some people slamming McGlynn....not easy stepping in at center. Thank goodness he was available.

Defense: C: Redding impressed. I was disappointed with the 'wrapping up' yesterday. I was hoping for a little more Vontae Davis as well. Freeman had 13 tackles, but did get lost 3 or 4 times on Peterson runs (But then again who does not :)) Loved the 4 sacks...good to see a Hughes sack. Addison played well on the right as well. I went C primarily for lack of gang tackling....need more men to the ball.We also cannot let Christian Ponder hit us with a 114 + passer rating...DBs need to get better in press coverage.

Special Teams: C-: Yes this one is harsh, and this is my specialty. Harvin KILLED us on 2 returns, and the avg of 27.8 is totally unacceptable. We are back to kicking straight down the field and NOT out of the endzone. I really should change to a C with AV's big kick, but I just can't. 53.6 avg on punting....not a terrible job in punt coverage. Love Pat's directional punting. We are better...we need to attack...and get those kickoffs through the uprights like last year. I want to give an A+!!!!!!

Coaching: Overall a C. We played an average team equally at home. I may be the only one on this board that gives Harold Goodwin Kudos on the OL. Players hurt...switching positions...overcoming mistakes by Essex and Link...big injury to Satele. Manusky: DBs too deep to start the game...reminded me of "Coyer-2 past" for a couple of series. Pagano...is a keeper....that is all I can say...love the style and positive natture win or lose.

Lastly...on a 78 degree beautiful day: To the fans that stayed home an F. This team needs you! WE NEED You 12th Man!!! :blueshoe: :shoe: :helmet: :throwback: :coltshelmet::coltslogo::coltshorse::coltsfb::colts: :colts: :colts: !!!!!!!

Well said Brent!

I like the way You give Your explanation of Your grades. I agree with You, however I'd be less harsh on coaching. They vent ultraconservative, but it seemd the right choice at that moment.

I haven't seen the whole game, only highlights, so I wouldn't dare to give grades. Overall it was a good game, but there are things to mend...C+ overall for the team.

Well said Brent!

I like the way You give Your explanation of Your grades. I agree with You, however I'd be less harsh on coaching. They vent ultraconservative, but it seemd the right choice at that moment.

I haven't seen the whole game, only highlights, so I wouldn't dare to give grades. Overall it was a good game, but there are things to mend...C+ overall for the team.

Thank you HCF! I was worried early on the conservatism in terms of secondary....I may have been too harsh. I will be harsh on the special teams until....we control on kickoffs, punts, returns....FGs.....Just a nut on special teams...I know...a NUT period! :)

Thank you HCF! I was worried early on the conservatism in terms of secondary....I may have been too harsh. I will be harsh on the special teams until....we control on kickoffs, punts, returns....FGs.....Just a nut on special teams...I know...a NUT period! :)

ST deserves Your harsh words. Apart from AV they weren't "special". Teer were only few and short punt returns.

If we can get some pressure on him, we can make the game a little more interesting.

I don't think pressure will be a problem. They have big issues in protection. But Rodgers can make plays under duress and on the move. I hope Luck is paying attention when we play them.

I think to judge based on a grade scale we must first consider how to determine how to allocate the type of grading scale we could use such as letter grades, points system or any number of other grading scales. for example these ar ejust some of the things to possibly grade a player on

Andrew Luck threw 31 passes vs the Vikings my point system for each throw is as follows out of

1.Did he complete the pass?

2.Did he look off the defender?

3.Did he throw it away vs taking a sack?

4.Did he pick up the blitz?

5.Did he make the right read?

Running Backs

Did they make the right read?

Did they hang on to the football?

Did they explode through the hole?

Wide Receivers

Dis they make the catch on a catchable ball?

Did they run the right route?

Did they hold a block on an occasion when they are called on to do so?

Tight Ends

Did they catch the ball?

Did they run the right route?

Did they hold there blocks?

Offensive Line

1.Did they use proper technique?

2.Did they make the right line calls

3.Did they beat there man?

4.Did they give up a sack?

5.Did they open up any holes in the run game

Defensive Line

1.Did clog the right gap?

2.Did they draw a double team?

3.If they did not draw a double tea did they beat there man?

5.Did they collapse the pocket?

6.Did they make the tackle when the chance was there?

Corners

1.Did they give up a catch? (of course it will happen I know)

2.If they gave up a catch did they hold that receiver to minimal yards?

3.Did they use proper technique?

5.Did they deflect any balls that came there way?

6.Did they make a pick?

7.Proper angles taken

Safeties

1.Did they give up anything over the middle? (it seems like the Colts give up alot over the middle)

2.Did they get beat deep?

3.Proper angles taken?

Kicker

1.Did he make the kick?

Punter

1.Was he accurate on his punts?

2.Does he have the leg to kick the ball deep into the opposing teams territory thereby giving them a long field to work with

Special teams

1.were proper angles taken?

2.Did they make the tackle? (I can tell you on opening kickoff Ballard had a shot to bring down the Vikes returner and just missed which gave that returner a few extra yards)

I feel like the special teams isn't getting enough credit from you guys. Lefeged has impressed, Pat saved us by punting from our own ends one to their 30, not to mention several other great punts, Adam was clutch as always, and while we didn't have big returns, we didn't turn the ball over. They get an A from me.

Coaching, however, you guys are being generous. Hopefully Arians realizes his mistakes and corrects them. No more ultra conservative play when winning by double digits. D from me.

I feel like the special teams isn't getting enough credit from you guys. Lefeged has impressed, Pat saved us by punting from our own ends one to their 30, not to mention several other great punts, Adam was clutch as always, and while we didn't have big returns, we didn't turn the ball over. They get an A from me.

Coaching, however, you guys are being generous. Hopefully Arians realizes his mistakes and corrects them. No more ultra conservative play when winning by double digits. D from me.

Special teams coverage and a couple of bad punts and missed blocks on punt team caused me to drop that grade. I'm more concerned with securing possession than getting great returns, but it would be nice to start with good field position every once in a while.

As for coaching, Arians isn't the only coach. Manusky called a good game most of the way, and Pagano was smart enough to let Luck try for points at the end of the half and the end of the game.

I'm going to try to get grades up tonight or tomorrow morning. Until then, this is a placeholder.

But tell me your impressions of the team's overall performance. What grades would you give each unit? Offense, defense, special teams, and coaching?

v137i14news02_first_.jpg.jpg

Offense, C -- 63 plays, 278 yards, zero turnovers, 17 first downs (10 passing, 5 rushing, 2 penalties), 7/16 on 3rd down, 23 points

QB -- Not perfect. Far from perfect, as a matter of fact, but really good. Nice home debut for the rookie, and a nice bounce back from a tough game last week. Handled the tempo well, kept himself in position to make plays, was accurate all over the field, and made some top notch throws. Used his legs really well also. A couple of silly mistakes, like trying to scramble out of a pressure and losing 22 yards in a sack. That play really hurt field position and helped the Vikings score the second touchdown. Looked like he missed a couple of receivers on key downs as well. All is forgiven for showing the poise he did on the final drive, though, and getting his first 4th quarter win in the NFL. Luck has been very efficient and effective on drives to end the half and the game, dating back to preseason. Continued that here, and having the most clutch kicker in the NFL helps. Still plenty of improvement to be made, but this was an impressive performance. B

Receivers and backs -- Welcome to the Colts, Mr. Avery. Reggie was again solid. Dwayne Allen looked nice on the touchdown. That's about it though. And the backs did next to nothing for most of the game. Not entirely their fault, but I don't know what else to say. Averaging 2.4 ypc is insane. And, for whatever reason, we didn't make very much effort to include the backs in the passing game either. That's okay, we were effective without them, but really we shut our offense down in the second half, and the running game did nothing to make that decision work out positively (more on that in coaching). Not too much to say here, other than our passing game is a mile ahead of our run game. C+

Blocking -- Still a ton of work to do, but I'm not going to be too hard on them. We were banged up coming into this one, and right away lost our center. Plus two other linemen. Pass protection was better, but the run blocking just continued to not be there. McGlynn with a few bad snaps when he moved over to center, but he blocked better there than at guard, I thought. We wound up trying to put the game away with our run game, and failed miserably. I hope that, either the line gets better as the season goes on, or we learn different ways to move the chains and convert on 3rd and short. So, slightly better performance, but still not thrilled. D

Defense, B -- 65 plays, 327 yards, one turnover, 19 first downs (14 passing, 4 rushing, 1 penalty), 7/15 on 3rd down, 20 points

Defensive front -- Tremendous job. This is what Building the Monster should look like. I think there were 9 plays for a loss or no gain, including sacks. Handled our assignments, stayed around the ball, tackled reasonably well, and looked like a defense that could be dominant. Jerrell Freeman was incredible. Cory Redding was fantastic. Mathis and Hughes both made plays on the quarterback and for loss. I'm very impressed with the fact that their traditional run game didn't rip off anything more than an 8 yarder all game long, and we had a chance to get that one for less. Big short yardage stop on Peterson, right before the fluke touchdown on 4th down. We were also around the ball on short completions, for the most part. Very, very solid effort. Still room to improve in the little things, but this is a huge positive against a team that can run the ball very effectively. B+

Pass defense -- If you want to stop the big play, this is how you do it. According to my numbers, before the final two drives, Ponder was 16/20 with 156 yards and 4 sacks. Adjusted for sacks, that's 6.0 yards per pass play. Best of all, they had six points to show for it. Too many completions, especially with the flurry at the end, and that's something that hopefully we'll get tightened up. But in terms of limiting the other team's passing offense, we did an outstanding job for 3+ quarters. Against a better quarterback with better pass protection, we might have been burnt, but our corners did a good job for the most part. They shifted Harvin to get him favorable matchups, and found one in Justin King. But Powers and Davis weren't giving up anything. Bethea played well all over the field. Our other safety didn't do much, but also didn't give up much. I think there was a missed tackle by Zbikowski, and that's no good, but not the end of the world. We can get better here as well; I'd like to see us challenge receivers a little more on the inside. And I'd like to see an adjustment that keeps the other team from scoring two touchdowns in four minutes, especially when the quarterback is Christian Ponder. Three weeks from now, we get a really big test. As of right now, we're not up for it, but I feel better than I did last week after getting torched by Cutler for 300 yards. B

Special teams, C+

We made some mistakes in coverage, and our return game still hasn't made a play. Matter of fact, Hilton didn't look very confident as the return man. He didn't do very much of it during preseason, so the speed adjustment likely still hasn't been made. Don't turn the ball over, fella. No love from us if you do. The punting was kind of inconsistent; McAfee got some pressure, including getting ran into. Lefeged has been really good on coverage this season. But the real saving grace for special teams was AV, and really, he deserves his own A+ for the game-winner. It's crazy that he can miss a virtual gimme at the end of the half last week, then come out and boot a 53 yarder with the game on the line. (And in the perfect irony, Gostkowski misses the 40+ yarder in New England for the game. Suckers.) But this is why I favored keeping AV, despite his price tag -- he's worth all $3.2 million, in case you were wondering. When we have games that we're a kick away from winning, we can put him in and get the win.

Coaching, C

I don't like overly conservative coaching. I think it cost us the Super Bowl against the Saints. It reared its head in the second half in this one, and I had flashbacks. There's a balance we have to strike between the run and the pass, even with the lead in the second half. The first drive of the 3rd quarter produced points, but we got helped by two penalties from the Vikes. It's tough to ask a quarterback to only throw the ball when you're in 2nd and long, 3rd and long, especially a rookie, and especially when your run game is struggling. The balance just isn't there yet. Arians allows the game situation to dictate his playcalling, and it leads to predictable outcomes. Loosen the reins, give Luck some more freedom situationally, and see if your offense that the front office invested so much in this offseason can make something happen for you. Just a couple more first downs in the second half, and the final drive doesn't need to happen. Defensively, we did a good job most of the game, but some adjustments were in order on the last two drives, and they either didn't come or didn't work. This stuff gets magnified when the game goes the way it went, but it would be even worse had we lost. I hope Pagano gets his situational decisions tightened up, because there's no reason not to know whether the clock is running, and there's no reason to accept a five yard penalty when you've just gained 7 yards and are going to kick a field goal. Unless you just want to get your money's worth out of your kicker. Tighten it up, fellas. We're watching.

The divisional nemesis is up next. No question that the Jags are the worst team in the division right now, but they always play us close, no matter the time of year or the venue. MJD has our number, and the Jags are desperate at 0-2.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=320916011

Go Colts!

Well...

THAT was a pleasure to read.... if I had seen that earlier, I'm not sure I would have written my "our next opponent is very, very dangerous post" later in the day....

Not sure I'd agree with every evaluation... but that's not the point, no one does with these type of things. One of the things I've learned over the years is that we all see the same thing differently.

But a very good breakdown and very fair to players and coaches....

Nicely done! That was a treat and a nice way to end my night before my head hits the pillow! :thmup:

I will always be more harsh on special teams Nobody. Anytime a Hester or a Harvin has a line drive kick to the goal line he has an 'opportunity' to take it to the house. I am a firm believer in kicking away from the best players...not to them. While I feel Pat McAfee is a top notch punter and kicker, he needs to stay on task with a sense of not 'out-kicking coverage' in the punt game and threw the uprights on kickoffs.

I agree with you on Lefeged as the beast of the coverage units. What we need from our special teams is the old adage 'pin em deep' and get our team in postion to get across the 50 to give our HOF kicker and rookie QB a chance to score. A blocked punt, a blocked kick, and decent returns might help too. I want to give the Special teams an A+ every week. I agree with you that we ARE trending upwards....

I will always be more harsh on special teams Nobody. Anytime a Hester or a Harvin has a line drive kick to the goal line he has an 'opportunity' to take it to the house. I am a firm believer in kicking away from the best players...not to them. While I feel Pat McAfee is a top notch punter and kicker, he needs to stay on task with a sense of not 'out-kicking coverage' in the punt game and threw the uprights on kickoffs.

I agree with you on Lefeged as the beast of the coverage units. What we need from our special teams is the old adage 'pin em deep' and get our team in postion to get across the 50 to give our HOF kicker and rookie QB a chance to score. A blocked punt, a blocked kick, and decent returns might help too. I want to give the Special teams an A+ every week. I agree with you that we ARE trending upwards....

Pat is a top notch "punter", but an average kick-off man. If he can't get touchbacks, even with the extra 5 yards they got, then he should be called to task. To be fair, on the last kick on Sunday, he got it through the end zone, but he needs to be consistent with some of these return men we have around the league now....

Pat is a top notch "punter", but an average kick-off man. If he can't get touchbacks, even with the extra 5 yards they got, then he should be called to task. To be fair, on the last kick on Sunday, he got it through the end zone, but he needs to be consistent with some of these return men we have around the league now....

I totally agree...he HAS to get back to kicking through the uprights.....even little Pac-Man Jones ran one back last Sunday....line drives to the goal line and a 27.8 AVG are momentum....game killers.