Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play Calling?

SubZero

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Colts had lost this game, the blame would have been on Arians. Running out the clock would have been good coaching if this patched up line had a prayer of getting a first down running the ball. Luck was Peyton like with seconds left on the clock, he moved the team down the field close enough for an AV field goal. Congrats to Luck, Avery and the Colts team.

I don't read "Brad Wells", so I can't pay attention to him, but Arians has some issues that he needs to work out... I'm sitting on the couch saying pass or run based on personnel groupings and did so at a high rate of accuracy... Now if I put more time into charting him, I would say that I could be more direct with my prediction.

I think too many ppl are paying attention to brad wells from stampede blue... colts had a good play calling... this is the new colts football try to establish the run... unlike the last regime

Except they didn't establish it they were getting crushed with it and it nearly cost the Colts the game. Running is great if you get yards with it and you are moving the football the Colts were not doing that in the second half and frankly it was staying with the run that was putting themselves in bad spots. I am not saying they needed to air it out in the second half. I just think they needed to mix in an extra pass or two and it didn't need to be a big shot down the field either. The screens they were running earlier in the game would have been fine. They needed to get the Vikings out of nine in the box though. They were playing not to lose till the very end and it nearly bit them.

Except they didn't establish it they were getting crushed with it and it nearly cost the Colts the game. Running is great if you get yards with it and you are moving the football the Colts were not doing that in the second half and frankly it was staying with the run that was putting themselves in bad spots. I am not saying they needed to air it out in the second half. I just think they needed to mix in an extra pass or two and it didn't need to be a big shot down the field either. The screens they were running earlier in the game would have been fine. They needed to get the Vikings out of nine in the box though. They were playing not to lose till the very end and it nearly bit them.

I think it actually helped the colts win the game, it kept the clock running and kept andrew from either stopping the clock with and incomplete pass or getting sacked... which both seemed more likely to happen if the gave luck the ball especially with the Oline infront of him... the colts knew what they were doing.

Didnt get many yards but it kept that clock running, they need to keep pounding the ball and holes will open not to mention it'll help that oline get better at run blocking.

I think it actually helped the colts win the game, it kept the clock running and kept andrew from either stopping the clock with and incomplete pass or getting sacked... which both seemed more likely to happen if the gave luck the ball especially with the Oline infront of him... the colts knew what they were doing.

Didnt get many yards but it kept that clock running, they need to keep pounding the ball and holes will open not to mention it'll help that oline get better at run blocking.

Getting sacked doesn't stop the clock. Also clearly if you are throwing the ball stopping the clock is a risk but I doubt Luck was going to throw a tone of incompleteions. Again like I said I am not saying they should have tossed the run out the window I think they should have mixed in a few more passes to help keep the Vikings honest. Also us just going three and out and punting it right back to the Vikings also let them back into the game. Also that clock they chewed up on a three and out was about two minutes that's not chewing up the clock. The drives that chewed up the clock were the Vikings taking their sweet time on offense when they had the ball and the Colts at the start of the third quarter which was kept alive thanks to 30 yards in Vikings mistakes.

Luck threw 9 times in the 4th to 7 runs thats plenty of pass,

Just a question, were any of those passes the short screen type of throws that are basically long handoffs? I know i seen a few today, just can't remember what qtr they were in. It did not seem to me like we were real interested in throwing downfield, except for when it got to 3rd down and the game was on the line.

Luck threw 9 times in the 4th to 7 runs thats plenty of pass,

and the part you left out four of those came on the game winning drive at the end of the game when they had no choice but to throw. Those 7 runs you mention resulted in 5 yards and that's counting the -22 yard sack as a pass. That's not going to win you most games in the NFL.

I think too many ppl are paying attention to brad wells from stampede blue... colts had a good play calling... this is the new colts football try to establish the run... unlike the last regime

I think that is great, except for the fact that we never did establish the run game. An average of 2.4 ypc is not exactly what you want out of a running game and thats what we did when you take out the scrambles from Luck. When you add those in we were at a whopping 2.8

and the part you left out four of those came on the game winning drive at the end of the game when they had no choice but to throw. Those 7 runs you mention resulted in 5 yards and that's counting the -22 yard sack as a pass. That's not going to win you most games in the NFL.

Yep, totally agree. I was sitting at the opposite end zone and could see 10 seconds before the play clock, the safety creeping up into the box to make it 8 in the box. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are not going to win many battles running between the tackles in there with our O-line in such scenarios. That also meant several 1-on-1s for safe throws that could move the chains. We did not keep them honest, we played right into their hands to get the stops they needed.

We need to come with some good way to be able to run with a lead. The short passing game with safer throws can be used to augment our running game, we have done that in the past. Arians has done that with the Steelers in the past, just needs to call those kind of plays instead of thinking our O-line will magically run block like the 49ers O-line or Texans' O-line.

If the Colts had lost this game, the blame would have been on Arians. Running out the clock would have been good coaching if this patched up line had a prayer of getting a first down running the ball. Luck was Peyton like with seconds left on the clock, he moved the team down the field close enough for an AV field goal. Congrats to Luck, Avery and the Colts team.

I agree that running the clock is a good idea but the Colts couldnt run. If we had a run game that game then it would be a good idea.

Yep, totally agree. I was sitting at the opposite end zone and could see 10 seconds before the play clock, the safety creeping up into the box to make it 8 in the box. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are not going to win many battles running between the tackles in there with our O-line. That also meant several 1-on-1s for safe throws that could move the chains. We did not keep them honest, we played right into their hands to get the stops they needed.

We need to come with some good way to be able to run with a lead. The short passing game with safer throws can be used to augment our running game, we have done that in the past. Arians has done that with the Steelers in the past, just needs to call those kind of plays instead of thinking our O-line will magically run block like the 49ers O-line or Texans' O-line.

Right and I would have been fine with those kinds of throws. Like I've kept saying they didn't need to be chucking it down the field or throwing on every down. They just needed to work in a couple more passes to get the Vikings out of the box and make things a little easier to run the ball. That's what they were doing in the first half and the run game was much more effective in the first half.

It was a Josh Wilson article and he is a much more objective writer than Brad Wells. He pretty much hit it on the head with everything he said. Luck and Vinatieri pretty much bailed Arians out today. Steeler fans were happy to see Arians go for a reason. To stick with a ridiculously predictable run game, when you couldn't even run it when the defense was showing a more neutral look, it just makes you shake your head. When you have a guy as highly touted, and highly able as Andrew Luck behind center, you let him do his job. Don't force the run when you're lucky to get back to the LOS.

It was a Josh Wilson article and he is a much more objective writer than Brad Wells. He pretty much hit it on the head with everything he said. Luck and Vinatieri pretty much bailed Arians out today. Steeler fans were happy to see Arians go for a reason. To stick with a ridiculously predictable run game, when you couldn't even run it when the defense was showing a more neutral look, it just makes you shake your head. When you have a guy as highly touted, and highly able as Andrew Luck behind center, you let him do his job. Don't force the run when you're lucky to get back to the LOS.

You know I remember a few years ago the Colts were blowing out the Texans in the middle of the third quarter and Manning was still throwing and in his post game presser he was asked why they were still throwing and he said "They were putting 8 in the box you can't run on that so what choice did we have? Just run the ball three times and punt which is what they wanted? My job is take what they give me and they gave me pass." The Vikings were giving us pass today the Colts should have taken advantage of that a little more. The Vikings wanted us to run right into that front and we played right into their hands and it nearly cost the Colts the game.

I also remember Manning saying the goal wasn't so much to dial up great plays just to get the Colts out of bad plays. Running into 8 or 9 men fronts over and over are bad plays. Now I don't expect Luck to be Manning but frankly these two things are things any QB can use not just great QBs.

You know I remember a few years ago the Colts were blowing out the Texans in the middle of the third quarter and Manning was still throwing and in his post game presser he was asked why they were still throwing and he said "They were putting 8 in the box you can't run on that so what choice did we have? Just run the ball three times and punt which is what they wanted? My job is take what they give me and they gave me pass." The Vikings were giving us pass today the Colts should have taken advantage of that a little more. The Vikings wanted us to run right into that front and we played right into their hands and it nearly cost the Colts the game.

I also remember Manning saying the goal wasn't so much to dial up great plays just to get the Colts out of bad plays. Running into 8 or 9 men fronts over and over are bad plays. Now I don't expect Luck to be Manning but frankly these two things are things any QB can use not just great QBs.

You know, I'd like every post you've made in this thread, but this is the first thread I've looked at tonight so I wanna save some of them for later lol.

- You have a rookie QB who turned the ball over four times last week.

- You have a putrid O-line that does everything it can to get that rookie QB killed on every pocket passing play.

- You have rookies and inexperienced players across the field.

- You have a 14 point 4th quarter lead.

Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick would have done the same thing.

Also, the Colts didn't build a lead today by opening it up and playing in the manner they did last week. They built a lead by playing smart, low risk football while taking an occasional shot. They shielded Luck with play calling, and it got them a win. It's much easier to win with 0 turnovers than 5 turnovers.

Its because 7 of those runs contributed to two 3-and-outs.

Colts up 20-13 5:07 left

Play 1 run up the middle by Brown (no push but it started the clock and killed 35 seconds) Colts call timeout taken from sidelines

Play 2 Luck fakes handoff to Brown pass complete to Wayne for 1st down, (injury after the play stopped the clock)

Play 3 3rd Down and 5 to go Donnie Avery catch 1st down

Play 4 Donald Brown run for no gain on 1st down

Play 5 short pass to Donnie Avery on 2nd down

Play 6 Vikings ran a stunt play with Everson Griffen and Allen, Castonzo appeared not to recognize it in time, Luck tries to avoid rush but sacked for 22 yard loss brought up a 4th and 27

Vikings return punt to Colts 47 yard line 2:50 left to go in game

Play 1 1st down appeared to be a 1 yard loss and very close to a forced fumble by Freeman on Harvin but knee was down (Harvin cramps in right leg)

Play 2 2:29 left Powers drops back in Zone coverage 9 yard gain (2nd down)

Play 3 3rd and 2 Powers drops back in zone Micheal Jenkins catch 1st down (timeout)

Play 4 screen pass to Peterson but only back to LOS (Colts appeared to drop back in zone again)

Play 5 2nd down jump ball to Jenkins Powers batted it down

Play 6 3rd and 9 Peterson got matched up on Freeman (Peterson was split out wide) First Down

Play 7 1st down from Colts 10 yard line pass to AP 1 go gain

Play 8 Penalty in the end zone on Justin King 5 yard penalty automatic first down

Play 9 (:39 left) pass to Aromashoudu incomplete (Powers was lucky that wasn't called for Pass Interference he put his hand on Aroma after 5 yards and Aroma fell down

Play 10 (:36 left) 2nd & Goal Kyle Rudolph had inside position on Freeman for touchdown

Field Goal good

Vikings Kickoff

Colts

Play 1 Luck rolls to left (because Linkenbach got beat on a stunt it appears) twenty yard pass to Avery

Play 2 :24 left pass to Wayne 25 yard gain

Timeout

Play 3 :18 left Pass to Avery 8 yard gain (offsides defense)

Play 4 1st and 5 from 35 Luck spikes Ball (Billick butchers Vinatieri's name all to heck)

Play 5 line drive field goal good by Adam Vinatieri

What almost cost us is playing back in Zone being conservative and Kings Penalty and Luck trying to avoid a sack instead of throwing it out of bounds

I don't get it.

Last week fans were complaining about to many pass plays, now fans are complaining about to many running games.

As we had 14 points lead at the start of Q4th, calling run-plays wouldn't have been a bad tactics, but our RBs were ineffective last day, so we almost made Vikes great... Thanks to Luck and AV we won and are standing 1-1 after week 2.

Before the seasons experts were hammering into minds that Luck needs targets. Right now I think he'd rather need better protection, he has plenty of targets.

One thing I didn't like on the final series was the Caldwellesque clock mismanagement.

1-5-MIN35 (:13) (Run formation) A.Luck spiked the ball to stop the clock. 2-5-MIN35 (:12) A.Vinatieri 53 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-M.Overton, Holder-P.McAfee.

Whether the decision on the spiked ball, is coming from Luck, Arians or Pagano it was foolish. The clock wasn't running. Take a knee(moving forward)..., get back up... run the clock down to 3-4 seconds then clock it, and send out Vinateri.

Some might say that the extra time would be good to have in case there is a mishandled snap. Well that might be a valid point if the ball was snapped from the 8 yard line, but a bad snap at that point is going to send the game into OT unless it was horrendous enough for the Vikings to score off it.

It made little to no sense to leave that much time on the clock. As I said.. Caldwellesque... that was disappointing...

You also have to question why in the world didn't they decline the penalty.... the ball would have been snapped from the 33 as opposed to the 35.

What almost cost us is playing back in Zone being conservative and Kings Penalty and Luck trying to avoid a sack instead of throwing it out of bounds

I want to touch on the Luck sack specifically. Though it was a bad decision for Luck to fall back like that, it is not entirely his fault that he was put in that position. If I remember right, it was 3rd and (intermediate 4-6yds?) and we're trying to close the game. If we don't convert, we give them a chance to win.

I blame Arians for not having his playcalling in tune with what was occurring throughout the game, and situationaly, he failed to account for the pulse of the game.

Our O-line had been beaten back all game long and Luck was under duress often. Arians put Luck and the O-line in an ill position by calling a play that insisted he (Luck) sit back in a pocket and make a conversion.....a pocket that hadn't been there for 90% of the snaps.

We're lucky that Luck did run backward as opposed to forcing it in and turning it over, or, fumbling while taking a sack in the "pocket" (as if there was one). Again, Arians fault if this had occurred.

The proper play call in this situation would have been to throw a QUICK screen or otherwise to have Luck roll out with protection, feasting on Luck's forte of completing passes while on the move.

The play-call led to the rookie retreating. Arians has to account for the situation, as well as the condition of the O-line, as well as the status of his rookie QB.

Bad play-call.

My problem with the play calling goes beyond just simple 'too much passing' as we saw last week.... or, 'too much running' as we saw this week...

It's also the types of plays that we saw called...

We're running too many slow to develop sweeps that our big line is just not very good at pulling and beating their man. The defenses are too athletic and are chasing down our rb's for little if any gain...

But here's a scenario I didn't like....

3rd quarter, Colts ball at our own 2-yard line. At this point, I literally said out loud... "I'll take a QB sneak to gain just one yard"... and I would have been happy with it. Instead we do a delay with a deep hand-off well into the end zone to Brown who struggles to get out of the end zone. The Vikings jumped up signaling Safety, but the refs were generous and spotted the ball at the 1...

Then, what did we do? The same play and again, we struggled. Think we got back to the LOS, but not much else.

Both times we flirted with a safety. I was OK to run the ball, but there are certain plays that are better or worse in those situations, and we don't seem to recognize that.

Very worrisome going forward.

My problem with the play calling goes beyond just simple 'too much passing' as we saw last week.... or, 'too much running' as we saw this week...

It's also the types of plays that we saw called...

We're running too many slow to develop sweeps that our big line is just not very good at pulling and beating their man. The defenses are too athletic and are chasing down our rb's for little if any gain...

But here's a scenario I didn't like....

3rd quarter, Colts ball at our own 2-yard line. At this point, I literally said out loud... "I'll take a QB sneak to gain just one yard"... and I would have been happy with it. Instead we do a delay with a deep hand-off well into the end zone to Brown who struggles to get out of the end zone. The Vikings jumped up signaling Safety, but the refs were generous and spotted the ball at the 1...

Then, what did we do? The same play and again, we struggled. Think we got back to the LOS, but not much else.

Both times we flirted with a safety. I was OK to run the ball, but there are certain plays that are better or worse in those situations, and we don't seem to recognize that.

Very worrisome going forward.

I agree with you in that it is not the run/pass balance that many here are crying about that is the issue.

Though I disagree in regard to the series where we were backed up to the goal line. All things considered (patchy, inept O-line, rookies abound), I feel the ultra-conservative calls to get outta that situation were the best call.

no issue with playcalling more on the execution side of it. but for a young team its good for them to see how to almost lose a game in the NFL(usually a young team would lose)..now that we have that experience under our belt these youngsters now know to step on their throat when you have them down. just another learning experience but the difference in this learning experience we got the win in the process. something to learn from. Dwayne Allen and Wayne said it best in his post game interview if you havent seen it on colts.com yet please go check it out postgame locker room. Its like the rookie is always looking for something to learn from and get better at. He was thinking the whole second half " we have to get better we have to learn how to step on their throat when they're down"..this will be a great learning experience for a young team glad we experienced this lesson early and was on the winning side of it

I agree with you in that it is not the run/pass balance that many here are crying about that is the issue.

Though I disagree in regard to the series where we were backed up to the goal line. All things considered (patchy, inept O-line, rookies abound), I feel the ultra-conservative calls to get outta that situation were the best call.

Is there anything more ultra-conservative than a QB sneak from your own two?

I think a running play with a deep hand-off well into your end zone with weak OL that can't seem to run block is as dangerous as it gets.

Just one fans view....

Is there anything more ultra-conservative than a QB sneak from your own two?

I think a running play with a deep hand-off well into your end zone with weak OL that can't seem to run block is as dangerous as it gets.

Just one fans view....

Oh yeah....my apologies. I didn't comprehend your post. I'm kinda dumb.

Anywho....I agree that this is a safe way to essentially get the ball into your punter's hands but the reason why you don't see this play called in that situation would be because there's no chance at a conversion, zero. You don't exactly want to concede to a punt entirely, but as well, you don't want to risk the safety/turnover.

But more to your point, I'm curious why Brown was the back in that situation as opposed to a stouter guy like Ballard. I was really hoping Carter would turn into our big-boy RB for situations like that.

Anywho....I agree that this is a safe way to essentially get the ball into your punter's hands but the reason why you don't see this play called in that situation would be because there's no chance at a conversion, zero. You don't exactly want to concede to a punt entirely, but as well, you don't want to risk the safety/turnover.

But more to your point, I'm curious why Brown was the back in that situation as opposed to a stouter guy like Ballard. I was really hoping Carter would turn into our big-boy RB for situations like that.

His fumbling probably cost him that role. For the foreseeable future at least.....

His fumbling probably cost him that role. For the foreseeable future at least.....

3 fumbles out of 101 carries doesn't seem so excessive that I'd sit the guy. He didn't fumble once in college to my recollection. I like his running style more than any other back on our roster. Maybe he's coughing it up in practice?

I have to agree with the op. It's hindsight being 20/20 maybe, but at the same time, we were moving just fine on offense. We were executing good short passes, moving the sticks, and driving down the field. We're up, and time is short, so we go to clock killing mode by running it every down, but the problem is, we only run three plays and punt. Defense isn't staying on the sideline. We're not killing that much clock. It just was not good management.

Our offense was controlling a lot of this game, and our well rested defense was doing a pretty good job. But in the 4th, we only passed when the game was tied, after having a fairly sizable lead.

My guess is they are trying to keep Luck from throwing a game losing INT while we're ahead, to keep his confidence up. But if we trust the kid for 50 minutes of the game, we better trust him the other 10.

All in all a good game, but those last couple of drives (aside from the game winning drive) were a poor set of play calling.

Not a big fan of what I am seeing with our play calling etc. But Arians isn`t getting any Push with the O-Lineman he has been dealt with.

The guy has been in the League forever, I am sure he has worked with lots of Billiant people to develope a philosophy.

He is forced to bring this Young Hodgepodge of guys thrown together along slowly. This isn`t a bunch of guys who have been Pro Bowl starters.

There is a phugly side to it that is for sure, how about some of those Luck passes. UGH!

Two games in and I want to smile about some of the plays Andrew HAS MADE, Reggie & Fleener last week, Avery, Castanzo, Cory Redding yesterday wow, linebackers yesterday getting In There better-nice, Bethea too!

Bits & pieces showing up, building, building, building...

Can`t help but look forward to 2-3 really good Free Agents next year and a high draft pick and these guys in year two.

The good energy inside the Colts Complex lives!

I agree Smitto. Running is an attitude. Practice, Practice, Practice. These Bigger, not so talented at pass blocking lineman will get Luck killed if we aren`t about 50-50 on run-pass. They are what they are so they are just going to have to get better at run blocking as a unit. We ALL look forward to getting a Bad * O-Lineman or two added to the unit. And a great Dlineman, and LB, and CB, and S, and... :thmup:

I don`t expect Andrew to get INT`d 3 times in a game that often, or run 22 yards backards, spike a ball unnessecerily, throw the ball 3 yards over the head on a swing pass. Lots of young-nervous stuff going on but they look coached up in many ways. A pretty good game 2 in a multi-year plan.

Getting sacked doesn't stop the clock. Also clearly if you are throwing the ball stopping the clock is a risk but I doubt Luck was going to throw a tone of incompleteions. Again like I said I am not saying they should have tossed the run out the window I think they should have mixed in a few more passes to help keep the Vikings honest. Also us just going three and out and punting it right back to the Vikings also let them back into the game. Also that clock they chewed up on a three and out was about two minutes that's not chewing up the clock. The drives that chewed up the clock were the Vikings taking their sweet time on offense when they had the ball and the Colts at the start of the third quarter which was kept alive thanks to 30 yards in Vikings mistakes.

Putting 9 guys in the box, if luck went back to throw he would have gotten sacked or threw an incompletion the colts did not trust their Oline when it came to passing the ball. Point is the play calling was perfect for not only a team that needed a win but a city with the fan base like the colts.

Apologies not needed and you're definitely NOT dumb. Sometimes things get lost in the back and forth of message boards.

And your last point, about Ballard or Carter, is 100% correct. And frankly, I didn't think of it at the time. But one or the other would have been a better call. It's short yardage offense time. You're backed up and gotta gain inches. Either Ballard or Carter might've been a more appropriate choice than Brown in that situation...

I think that is great, except for the fact that we never did establish the run game. An average of 2.4 ypc is not exactly what you want out of a running game and thats what we did when you take out the scrambles from Luck. When you add those in we were at a whopping 2.8

For the people who doesnt like the play calling.. tough. Gone are the days when the defense comes off the field and the offense comes in and has a 3 and out faster than the speed of light because of incompletions... run the ball or at least try and keep trying cause its a rookie QBs bestfriend

For the people who doesnt like the play calling.. tough. Gone are the days when the defense comes off the field and the offense comes in and has a 3 and out faster than the speed of light because of incompletions... run the ball or at least try and keep trying cause its a rookie QBs bestfriend

Me thinks Andrew might want to get some new friends.