Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ultra conservative gameplan in second half almost cost the Colts...

bluephantom87

Well the colts have said they want to establish the run, they tried to do that against a stout defense in the middle.. i think those calls were pretty smart calls. let luck get some more games under his belt before you start letting him fling it all the time. As for right now yea run the ball

Well the colts have said they want to establish the run, they tried to do that against a stout defense in the middle.. i think those calls were pretty smart calls. let luck get some more games under his belt before you start letting him fling it all the time. As for right now yea run the ball

Tough to run with low-mid (at best) grade RBs and a bad OL... I would love to see the them get the running game established but it doesn't really seem like its going to happen this year.

Last week it was we didn't run the ball enough. This week a 50/50 run pass ratio(31 passes, 30 runs) and now were conservative running the ball too much. Arians can't do anything right in some fans eyes. I thought it was a good gameplan. Have you ever thought that the players didn't execute well enough in the run game? But anyway I thought it was a good gameplan by Arians for the most part

The ran outside maybe 3 times all game. STOP running inside! The guards can't get any push and on top of that the Vikings were stacking the box repeatedly. It's hard enough to run with 8 guys in the box, even harder when the interior of the O-line can't hold up. Run some stretch plays or more plays off tackle. The Vikings didn't have to work hard at all today in terms of stopping our running game. Spread the LB's out and get them off the line of scrimmage if the Colts are wanting to run more up the middle.

Arians' play calling today was horrendous in the second half. Its the NFL, going conservative with a whole quarter left to play is a complete disaster especially when the run game had been as bad as the play calling itself. Had they lost the game today, Arians should have had quite a few fingers pointed his way.

All in all it was a win, and darn did the defense stand up. Outside of Justin King, there isn't much bad I can say about them. The team needed this win, if for anything a major confidence booster especially after their game against Chicago. They just need to stay in attack mode and not let teams back in the game.

Tough to run with low-mid (at best) grade RBs and a bad OL... I would love to see the them get the running game established but it doesn't really seem like its going to happen this year.

im not gonna call Donald Brown a low-mid RB at all, BUT im starting to see what ppl are talking about..... the colts need a back that has the physice and agility like a AP, jackson (rams), someone that can break tackles but able to turn the corner and run with it.

No doubt Brown can turn the corner and run with it but he doesnt have that aggressiveness you see in backs i mentioned

Agree with you Smitto about a stout defense in the middle and trying to run the ball but for this game it seemed like Luck put the Vikings on their heels in the hurry up. The Colts do need a run game and maybe it will come if the o-line can show improvement week to week.

The play calling was excellent - nearly perfect. It was a 180 from last week. With a putrid O-line, rookie QB and rookie skilled players, they managed the game as well as they could, and got a win out of it. Had they used last week's offensive game plan, they would have lost again.

I agree the play calling when we had a 2 touchdown lead became to conservative. I still dont have alot of faith in our d so why just run and try to kill the clock with entire 4th qtr . Until the last drive we only had 1 yard so thats my complaint if the run was working i would be all for it but it was clearly not

The play calling was excellent - nearly perfect. It was a 180 from last week. With a putrid O-line, rookie QB and rookie skilled players, they managed the game as well as they could, and got a win out of it. Had they used last week's offensive game plan, they would have lost again.

there is no such thing as perfect play calling. we didn't not play call to the best of our talents but when you are dead-set on trying to grind and find, then what u gonna do. any play that doesn't gain yards or a yard or an inch is bad but not nec. bad play calling.

Bad play calling I agree, we almost lost trying to prove a point. Until we get a O-line that can run the ball we need play to our strengths. I am not against trying but we are not good enough yet to win theses types of games on a regular basis.

All that said I am extremely happy we got our first win and Luck is the REAL DEAL thats for sure.

there is no such thing as perfect play calling. we didn't not play call to the best of our talents but when you are dead-set on trying to grind and find, then what u gonna do. any play that doesn't gain yards or a yard or an inch is bad but not nec. bad play calling.

Dude, why don't you get it? It was not the play calling. It was the play of the O-line. You would have to be blind not to see this.

Bad play calling I agree, we almost lost trying to prove a point. Until we get a O-line that can run the ball we need play to our strengths. I am not against trying but we are not good enough yet to win theses types of games on a regular basis.

All that said I am extremely happy we got our first win and Luck is the REAL DEAL thats for sure.

:number1:

I understand wanting to establish the run but put the ball in Luck's hand because he is your best option. I notice in the no huddle he puts a lot of pressure on opposing defenses and its been that way since pre-season. Overall a win is a win so enjoy.... :clap:

You are exactly right..

Up 17-6 starting the second half with the ball......we could have gone to the air on 1st and 2nd down to put the gameaway but coach still has the illusion we can be a power running team....

He'll learn..........what we have and where we are....

Avery was open much of the day.....and Reggie is always good......

where is the screen pass that started the 1st pre-season game?...That's a safe play....that REQUIRES the linemen to miss blocks.

But we won.....and if we win next week.....we'll be 2-1 going into the bye week....exactly where we should be

..and we can work on our line.....

KC and Balt both lost in the AFC?

Jax lost again and the QB was hurt? and Tennessee is getting smoked....

after 2 games.....I'm very happy with this. Got to be.

How many rushing yards did we have on 1st down in the 2nd half?

We had 1 yard of offense in the fourth quarter until the final drive when we actually let Andrew play. I was going nuts at my local sports bar when we went completely soft offensively with over 10 minutes left! We have NOT the run game nor the defense to play like the Steelers. Arians needs to realize what he has and what he doesn't and ten to go is no time to go soft. It was a 'prevent offense'. In effect we gave away three posessions trying to eat clock, you can't eat clock on three and outs! Thank Go d Macafee punted it about 80 yards. But I am happy we won :)

Dude, why don't you get it? It was not the play calling. It was the play of the O-line. You would have to be blind not to see this.

I'm not sure what you don't get. If the O-line is bad as you say, in which we all know that, why are the same play calls being made which go right into the very weakness of that O-line(the middle). The majority of the Colts positive runs have come off tackle or to the outside, yet those are the plays that are called way less than the A-gap run plays (majority being negative) which keep getting called.

Again, I have no problem with the balance and running in general. Its the specific running plays that are called which are the ones that routinely get hit for negative yards. The middle isn't working. How many times does Bruce need to see this,

Balance is great. Continuously running the same running play(s) all game that AREN'T WORKING is a problem. I absolutely HATE the stacked formation at the line because it brings the entire defense up to the line and they still haven't been able to create anything even with the extra blockers.

Yes. Luck is smart enough to check out of it if they give him an outlet pass as an alternate play. Arians is going to have to start trusting him. We can't count on the other team to continuously self destruct the way the Vikings did today.

I'm not sure what you don't get. If the O-line is bad as you say, in which we all know that, why are the same play calls being made which go right into the very weakness of that O-line(the middle). The majority of the Colts positive runs have come off tackle or to the outside, yet those are the plays that are called way less than the A-gap run plays (majority being negative) which keep getting called.

Again, I have no problem with the balance and running in general. Its the specific running plays that are called which are the ones that routinely get hit for negative yards. The middle isn't working. How many times does Bruce need to see this,

Because it wouldn't have mattered. Inside, outside, pass - the line was getting blown up. It will continue to get blown up. No matter what they call, it all starts with the line. Rarely has Luck had time to sit back, rarely has there been any kind of run game. That's what I get.

I have an urge for a Hardee's burger after that game....can't figure out why, I normally don't like Hardee's, odd?

Do you think those models even let that slop get near them? They haven't had a carb in 5 years.

But as we all know, if you watch an NFL game - drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of junk food, and take that 'special moment' pill. That's all we need to look like we belong in the movies.

Last week it was we didn't run the ball enough. This week a 50/50 run pass ratio(31 passes, 30 runs) and now were conservative running the ball too much. Arians can't do anything right in some fans eyes. I thought it was a good gameplan. Have you ever thought that the players didn't execute well enough in the run game? But anyway I thought it was a good gameplan by Arians for the most part

No not running too much but constantly trying up the middle with little success against their strength on defense. Try running off tackle some but switch things up. When the Colts did get a nice run seemed like they would lose 2 or 3yds on the very next run play. This allowed the Vikings to hang around in the second half and possibly steal one. When you have a team down keep them down. Play to win and not to survive. When the game was on the line the Vikings knew what was coming with Luck and the hurry up but still couldn't stop it. I bet Leslie Fraizer was hoping the Colts had more time on that last drive so they could stop the run up the middle and get the ball back. :facepalm:

im not gonna call Donald Brown a low-mid RB at all, BUT im starting to see what ppl are talking about..... the colts need a back that has the physice and agility like a AP, jackson (rams), someone that can break tackles but able to turn the corner and run with it.

No doubt Brown can turn the corner and run with it but he doesnt have that aggressiveness you see in backs i mentioned

Yeah I think much of it has to do with the OL and boy it would sure be nice to have SJ or AP indeed also haha ....

For all the people who complained we didn't run enough last week I hope they are happy this week because they stuck with the run even when it was painfully clear it was not working and it nearly helped cost us the game.

I understand Luck is a rookie and frankly that make shift line wasn't stopping anyone rather it was run blocking or pass blocking and they were trying to avoid the big turnover but I think they needed to mix in an extra pass here or there in a none obvious passing situation.

This line is scary bad right now and we just better hope that Reitz and Justice bet back next week that will help some.

I cant figure out what they thought they were going to get on the first down runs. 1 yard until less than a min in the game, not too good

its not always about yards, you get the defense thinking run after a while of handing it off no matter if your gaining consistent 4 yard gains or not

First possession of the second half we eat up eat minutes of the clock an score a field goal.

Second possession:

We are on our own 2 yardline and are kinda sorta forced to run the ball. Run, incompletion (not very conservative), run, punt

Fourth quarter begins! Short pass for two yards. Run for four yards. 3rd and four: incomplete pass. It might be conservative, but the only problem is execution. We even had a run for decent yardage.

Next possession:

1. Indianapolis Colts at 12:40
  2. 1-10-IND 19 (12:40) (Run formation) PENALTY on IND-83-D.Allen, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at IND 19 - No Play. BOO!
  3. 1-15-IND 14 (12:40) (Run formation) 33-V.Ballard left guard to IND 12 for -2 yards (50-E.Henderson). BOO! Definitely a bit conservative.
  4. 2-17-IND 12 (12:00) (Shotgun) 33-V.Ballard up the middle to IND 20 for 8 yards (41-M.Raymond). PENALTY on IND-66-T.Essex, Offensive Holding, 6 yards, enforced at IND 12 - No Play. OMG This is getting frustrating. An effective run, but maybe too effective due to Essex. Notice the penalty puts us on the 6 yardline. Rookie QB 2nd and 23, the masses say let Luck fire away. Pagano says no dice, no pick sixes on my watch.
  5. 2-23-IND 6 (11:45) (Run formation) 33-V.Ballard up the middle to IND 9 for 3 yards (93-K.Williams). Conservative, forced to be.
  6. 3-20-IND 9 (11:03) (Shotgun) 26-M.Moore left tackle to IND 7 for -2 yards (50-E.Henderson). Conservative, forced to be.
  7. 4-22-IND 7 (10:23) 1-P.McAfee punts 55 yards to MIN 38, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to MIN 46 for 8 yards (45-M.Overton).

Keep in mind this is with a one touchdown lead.

1. Indianapolis Colts at 05:07
  2. 3-B.Walsh kicks 74 yards from MIN 35 to IND -9. 13-T.Hilton, Touchback.
  3. 1-10-IND 20 (5:07) (Run formation) 31-D.Brown up the middle to IND 20 for no gain (50-E.Henderson). EH?
  4. Timeout #1 by IND at 04:32. ???
  5. 2-10-IND 20 (4:32) (Run formation) 12-A.Luck pass short right to 87-R.Wayne to IND 25 for 5 yards (22-H.Smith; 50-E.Henderson). MIN-50-E.Henderson was injured during the play. Sounds like a situational checkdown. If there are so many in the box, go with the quick slant.
  6. 3-5-IND 25 (4:03) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck pass short left to 11-D.Avery to IND 33 for 8 yards (20-C.Cook). YAY first down! Great catch by Adams.
  7. 1-10-IND 33 (3:20) (Run formation) 31-D.Brown up the middle to IND 33 for no gain (96-B.Robison). SAD D:
  8. Timeout #1 by MIN at 03:13.
  9. 2-10-IND 33 (3:13) (Run formation) 12-A.Luck pass short right to 11-D.Avery to IND 38 for 5 yards (26-A.Winfield; 96-B.Robison). Another situational checkdown/low risk pass to gain some yardage.
  10. Timeout #2 by MIN at 03:07.
  11. 3-5-IND 38 (3:07) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck sacked at IND 16 for -22 yards (97-E.Griffen). Notice the snap is at the Indy 38, if it wasn't for Luck's blunder we could have pinned them down around their thirty or even better. Given an equal punt as the next play or better (no twelve yard return) the Vikings have the ball at their 31 yardline as opposed to our 47.
  12. Timeout #3 by MIN at 03:00.
  13. 4-27-IND 16 (3:00) 1-P.McAfee punts 43 yards to MIN 41, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to IND 47 for 12 yards (97-M.Addison). We needed a better kick and better coverage. Also notice we forced the Vikings to use up all three of their timeouts on this drive. Ultimately it didn't matter, but still something you want a four minute offense to be able to do.

So as you can see, in a number of situations Pagano was forced into conservative playcalling in order to protect his rookie quarterback.

First possession of the second half we eat up eat minutes of the clock an score a field goal.

Second possession:

We are on our own 2 yardline and are kinda sorta forced to run the ball. Run, incompletion (not very conservative), run, punt

Fourth quarter begins! Short pass for two yards. Run for four yards. 3rd and four: incomplete pass. It might be conservative, but the only problem is execution. We even had a run for decent yardage.

Next possession:

2. 1-10-IND 19 (12:40) (Run formation) PENALTY on IND-83-D.Allen, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at IND 19 - No Play. BOO!
  3. 1-15-IND 14 (12:40) (Run formation) 33-V.Ballard left guard to IND 12 for -2 yards (50-E.Henderson). BOO! Definitely a bit conservative.
  4. 2-17-IND 12 (12:00) (Shotgun) 33-V.Ballard up the middle to IND 20 for 8 yards (41-M.Raymond). PENALTY on IND-66-T.Essex, Offensive Holding, 6 yards, enforced at IND 12 - No Play. OMG This is getting frustrating. An effective run, but maybe too effective due to Essex. Notice the penalty puts us on the 6 yardline. Rookie QB 2nd and 23, the masses say let Luck fire away. Pagano says no dice, no pick sixes on my watch.
  5. 2-23-IND 6 (11:45) (Run formation) 33-V.Ballard up the middle to IND 9 for 3 yards (93-K.Williams). Conservative, forced to be.
  6. 3-20-IND 9 (11:03) (Shotgun) 26-M.Moore left tackle to IND 7 for -2 yards (50-E.Henderson). Conservative, forced to be.
  7. 4-22-IND 7 (10:23) 1-P.McAfee punts 55 yards to MIN 38, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to MIN 46 for 8 yards (45-M.Overton).

3. 1-10-IND 20 (5:07) (Run formation) 31-D.Brown up the middle to IND 20 for no gain (50-E.Henderson). EH?
  5. 2-10-IND 20 (4:32) (Run formation) 12-A.Luck pass short right to 87-R.Wayne to IND 25 for 5 yards (22-H.Smith; 50-E.Henderson). MIN-50-E.Henderson was injured during the play. Sounds like a situational checkdown. If there are so many in the box, go with the quick slant.
  6. 3-5-IND 25 (4:03) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck pass short left to 11-D.Avery to IND 33 for 8 yards (20-C.Cook). YAY first down! Great catch by Adams.
  7. 1-10-IND 33 (3:20) (Run formation) 31-D.Brown up the middle to IND 33 for no gain (96-B.Robison). SAD D:
  9. 2-10-IND 33 (3:13) (Run formation) 12-A.Luck pass short right to 11-D.Avery to IND 38 for 5 yards (26-A.Winfield; 96-B.Robison). Another situational checkdown/low risk pass to gain some yardage.
  11. 3-5-IND 38 (3:07) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck sacked at IND 16 for -22 yards (97-E.Griffen). Notice the snap is at the Indy 38, if it wasn't for Luck's blunder we could have pinned them down around their thirty or even better. Given an equal punt as the next play or better (no twelve yard return) the Vikings have the ball at their 31 yardline as opposed to our 47.
  13. 4-27-IND 16 (3:00) 1-P.McAfee punts 43 yards to MIN 41, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to IND 47 for 12 yards (97-M.Addison). We needed a better kick and better coverage.

So as you can see, in a number of situations Pagano was forced into conservative playcalling in order to protect his rookie quarterback.

Great job. You just threw some realism into my face. I'll watch the game later but I may have to change my mind about Arians and admit he didn't do too bad. I didn't like the empty backfield, especially with our line.

Second possession:

Next possession:

13. 4-27-IND 16 (3:00) 1-P.McAfee punts 43 yards to MIN 41, Center-45-M.Overton. 35-M.Sherels to IND 47 for 12 yards (97-M.Addison). We needed a better kick and better coverage. Also notice we forced the Vikings to use up all three of their timeouts on this drive. Ultimately it didn't matter, but still something you want a four minute offense to be able to do.

As I said, the play calling was excellent. I was extremely happy with the play calling.

It was the right way to call the game with a 2 TD lead for the majority of the second half and having a rookie QB. Didn't have a problem with the playcalling at all.

No, I disagree. In the NFL, a 2 possession game is never enough. Our OL was doing better on the pass blocking front and the run blocking caused more issues from our OL to surface. If we pushed it to 3 scores, then once you get to the last 6 or 7 minutes of a 4th qtr., you can think of running clock out. Luck is never going to learn from us trying to protect him. We should let him play.

I was at the stadium, thanks to this forum contest (thanks btw, forum for the tickets). Luck and the OL were balling with the passing game, and when we HAD TO go for it with 31 seconds to go, Luck did just fine marching us down. So, why could we not do that and ice the game much earlier??? There were tons of boos at the stadium for that conservative playcalling. I was talking with so many fellow Colts fans and all of them felt that all it took is a good return for field position and it is a one score game pretty soon. It ended up exactly that way with our conservative playcalling and despite all their timeouts lost, they still tied the game. Reminded me of Dungy and Marty ball.

One thing I dont know is if it was Pagano's call or Arian's call to rein in the passing game. It was too much to live dangerously by, IMO. It almost backfired when they tied it, if not for Luck moving us down with 31 seconds to go, and a BIG THANKS to AV (on the same day that Gostkowski misses a game winner, who said Brady does not miss AV??? :)). I was hoping it did not come to their rookie kicker with the big leg again 2 games in a row.

If Luck had thrown a pick on that last series, most of us would definitely be singing a different tune. A win is a win, no doubt, and I am super happy about it. But I do think we could have had them by their throat, they were not able to stop our passing game well at all.

No, I disagree. In the NFL, a 2 possession game is never enough. Our OL was doing better on the pass blocking front and the run blocking caused more issues from our OL to surface. If we pushed it to 3 scores, then once you get to the last 6 or 7 minutes of a 4th qtr., you can think of running clock out. Luck is never going to learn from us trying to protect him. We should let him play.

I was at the stadium, thanks to this forum contest (thanks btw, forum for the tickets). Luck and the OL were balling with the passing game, and when we HAD TO go for it with 31 seconds to go, Luck did just fine marching us down. So, why could we not do that and ice the game much earlier??? There were tons of boos at the stadium for that conservative playcalling. I was talking with so many fellow Colts fans and all of them felt that all it took is a good return for field position and it is a one score game pretty soon. It ended up exactly that way with our conservative playcalling and despite all their timeouts lost, they still tied the game. Reminded me of Dungy and Marty ball.

One thing I dont know is if it was Pagano's call or Arian's call to rein in the passing game. It was too much to live dangerously by, IMO. It almost backfired when they tied it, if not for Luck moving us down with 31 seconds to go, and a BIG THANKS to AV (on the same day that Gostkowski misses a game winner, who said Brady does not miss AV??? :)). I was hoping it did not come to their rookie kicker with the big leg again 2 games in a row.

I just have to completely disagree. Minn. had done virtually nothing all game long and we had a 2 TD lead, the point was to take time off the clock and IMO, it was absolutely the right thing to do. There was no need to take chances by having your rookie QB slinging the ball around with a 2 score lead. All it would have taken was 1 bad throw or a receiver falling down. Like I said before, If not for a fluky twice tipped ball for a TD for Minn. the game was well in hand and Minn. would have had no chance if they didn't get lucky on that pass.