Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Vick is Very Sick

King Colt

For a vet Vick stunk up the field yesterday throwing to the other team repeatedly. I firmly believe he is done as a QB for one reason only, his head is not in to football. While he is athletic he never appears to be 100% focused on what it takes to succeed in this game. He has never boasted with confidance and he never will.

He was never very smart/bright/intelligent and never will be.

With that said Reid has him in a system that maximizes a QB's abilities and Vick will have some good games and bad games, well before his happy feet cause him to get hurt again.

He claims to be more committed to the off-the-field work than he was in Atlanta, and that very well may be true.

With that said, the man deserves every failure he encounters.

For a vet Vick stunk up the field yesterday throwing to the other team repeatedly. I firmly believe he is done as a QB for one reason only, his head is not in to football. While he is athletic he never appears to be 100% focused on what it takes to succeed in this game. He has never boasted with confidance and he never will.

Confusing thread in many ways. FIRST, I was filled with optimism that the psychopath in question might have a health problem. Then I saw the word vet and thought "doctor who treats animals".

It took me awhile to realize that you were basically observing something that I've been saying since Vicks first year in the league - he is a well below average QB. He was pushed on us with frothing soundbites as a transformational talent based on the fact that he was fast and had a strong arm, but he has NEVER shown any other attribute that one would desire in a quarterback. People compare Griffin to him, but that's an insult to Griffin (who by the way is so small that he may also prove injury prone, but otherwise has already shown more in game one of his career than Vick ever has).

bad comparison. stafford is an entirely different personality than vick and you know it

I know that, but I think Vick deserves another chance. The dogfighting stuff is behind him. He has worked with Dungy to help himself and has done a lot of community work to prevent animal abuse. He acknowledges that he did something wrong and takes full responsibility. Now, he has worked to make the world a better place and is simply trying to play football. I don't get all the Vick hate.

because he has consistently not lived up to the hype. he may be the most overrated player in nfl history.

Well, Vick was an electrifying athlete in Atlanta, despite his off-field issues. And he has shown some good ability in Philly. Remember that Monday night game he had against the Redskins?

I know that, but I think Vick deserves another chance. The dogfighting stuff is behind him. He has worked with Dungy to help himself and has done a lot of community work to prevent animal abuse. He acknowledges that he did something wrong and takes full responsibility. Now, he has worked to make the world a better place and is simply trying to play football. I don't get all the Vick hate.

Well, Vick was an electrifying athlete in Atlanta, despite his off-field issues. And he has shown some good ability in Philly. Remember that Monday night game he had against the Redskins?

i don't deny he can be electrifying, he just isn't a that good of qb.

He was never very smart/bright/intelligent and never will be.

With that said Reid has him in a system that maximizes a QB's abilities and Vick will have some good games and bad games, well before his happy feet cause him to get hurt again.

He claims to be more committed to the off-the-field work than he was in Atlanta, and that very well may be true.

With that said, the man deserves every failure he encounters.

It absolutely is true that Vick is more dedicated than he was in Atlanta (it's a low bar) but I've had the distinct feeling for a while now that he's slowly regressing to his former self. He just strikes me as a guy who gets too comfortable with his position in the league too easily.

Everything you've said is absolutely spot on, really. Reid seems to have a knack for getting the most out of his QBs without ever fully developing their skills. All of his guys look good in Philly but then flop and are exposed as mediocre elsewhere. He probably deserves a lot of credit for simplifying his offense and catering to his QBs, although it can be argued that said catering has been very costly to his team at critical moments (see: McNabb's lack of playoff composure and perennially iffy mechanics in the short game).

It took me awhile to realize that you were basically observing something that I've been saying since Vicks first year in the league - he is a well below average QB. He was pushed on us with frothing soundbites as a transformational talent based on the fact that he was fast and had a strong arm, but he has NEVER shown any other attribute that one would desire in a quarterback. People compare Griffin to him, but that's an insult to Griffin (who by the way is so small that he may also prove injury prone, but otherwise has already shown more in game one of his career than Vick ever has).

You and me both. I've hated Vick nearly from the day he entered the league because I never thought he deserved the accolades he got outside of being a dynamic runner. Then came all the character stuff, which firmly affixed him as my most hated player (really doesn't help that I'm a dog person), and then he goes and signs with the Eagles. The Griffin comparisons have always rubbed me the wrong way because aside from their 40 times and arm strength they have absolutely nothing in common. Even as runners they don't compare well... Vick is/was a LOT more agile and shifty in space than Griffin is.

Just because he's made efforts to atone for his mistakes doesn't mean that he's learned the right lesson or that he should easily be forgiven. It takes a long time for someone to fix an image that badly tarnished, whether you're a famous NFL player or just an average Joe who has made some bad decisions in life.

By "sick" I meant lack of a healthy attitude. Even just watching him speak it appears he is terrified to say something wrong. Have you ever seen him interviewed where he is all fired up?! I don't enjoy bringing up the dog killing thing but in a nutshell I could never forgive that even if it were my son that did it.

Lotsa Vick hate on here....

Stafford also had 3 picks, but no one is getting in his business.

I guess it is because Vick is paid close to what Peyton and Brady are paid, Stafford is still in his rookie contract that might be the same he might get if he continues to play like he did vs the Rams., about a 5 yr. $80 mil. one :). The time Vick spent in jail of course never helps for his reputation.

People need to get over the dog fighting. Dogs died sure. What about ray caruth he had his pregnant gf murdered and his son survived only to be mentally handicapped cuz of the loss of oxygen to his brain. Now that man is a monster. Vick he just made a mistake. And if you get right down to it. The government doesnt care. If they got a percentage of the earnings they would be fine with it

People need to get over the dog fighting. Dogs died sure. What about ray caruth he had his pregnant gf murdered and his son survived only to be mentally handicapped cuz of the loss of oxygen to his brain. Now that man is a monster. Vick he just made a mistake. And if you get right down to it. The government doesnt care. If they got a percentage of the earnings they would be fine with it

I agree. The level of outrage to this day for VIck is a bit puzzling. Pittsburgh's QB, in all likelyhood, raped a woman and got away with it, and Ray Lewis murdered a man. Both of these guys are celebrated as sports heroes... yet, we can't let go of VIck dog fighting? People really do love animals more than other human beings. Strange times

I agree. The level of outrage to this day for VIck is a bit puzzling. Pittsburgh's QB, in all likelyhood, raped a woman and got away with it, and Ray Lewis murdered a man. Both of these guys are celebrated as sports heroes... yet, we can't let go of VIck dog fighting? People really do love animals more than other human beings. Strange times

i don't care for big ben, but to say raped a woman in all likelihood is ridiculous....there wasn't even enough evidence to bring charges.

The way he played in 2010 is what the Eagles expected from him when they gave him a(nother) $100 million contract. Made good decisions, took care of the football, and hurt teams on the ground and in the air. The problem is that 2010 was an aberration in Vick's career.

For a guy who has never thrown for 4,000 yards, has a career 56% completion rate, and has never thrown for more than 21 touchdowns in a season, it's strange that he's so highly paid. I don't dislike him the way so many others do, for various reasons, but he's certainly a lot more hype than substance. Super athletic, and has a great arm, but there's something missing.

i don't care for big ben, but to say raped a woman in all likelihood is ridiculous....there wasn't even enough evidence to bring charges.

True, but he got into trouble for sexual assault twice in as many years...not saying he actually did it but it makes you wonder how someone can get involved in such a serious and horrible thing multiple times.

Vick was not helped by the fact that he was a jerk with a demonstrably poor work ethic prior to the dogfighting (see: the Ron Mexico incident, giving his own fans the finger, various transgressions involving his posse, etc.). He was also the only one of the group where there was ample evidence that he was guilty of his crimes and the sheer scale of the dogfighting operation really served to swing the pendulum of public opinion out of his favor. Let's not also forget that he failed a drug test, failed a polygraph, and misappropriated funds from his marketing firm during the course of the investigation and trial.

To contrast, Roethlisberger was fairly well-liked early on in his career despite being a bonehead (motorcycle incident) and opinions on his level of guilt are pretty split. His reputation has been forever tarnished, though.

The whole Ray Lewis situation is just plain murky. He lied to police in the aftermath of the murder but based on the way that investigation was handled it always seemed like the police didn't suspect Ray of doing the actual stabbing. It was more likely one of his cohorts who killed the guy... but his level of involvement beyond being involved in the fight that precipitated the stabbing will likely never be known. Enough time has passed that his reputation has recovered and he's been helped by the fact that, unlike Vick, he doesn't particularly have a reputation for being a turd (for lack of a better word) on or off the field.

Leonard Little is the only recent player I can think of who truly never got as much scorn as he deserved. I suppose timing helped his case tremendously because he didn't become a noteworthy force in the NFL until several years after the DWI and manslaughter charge. That's a man who needed legit jailtime, though.

I think Vick deserves another chance ... The dogfighting stuff is behind him ... I don't get all the Vick hate.

Vick has had numerous second chances! Its not just about Dog Fighting - how many times has he flipped off fans and gotten in trouble with the team/league? How many countless times has he had other attitude issues on and off the field? What I dont get is why some individuals get a dozen or more "second" chances ...

Vick was not helped by the fact that he was a jerk with a demonstrably poor work ethic prior to the dogfighting (see: the Ron Mexico incident, giving his own fans the finger, various transgressions involving his posse, etc.). He was also the only one of the group where there was ample evidence that he was guilty of his crimes and the sheer scale of the dogfighting operation really served to swing the pendulum of public opinion out of his favor. Let's not also forget that he failed a drug test, failed a polygraph, and misappropriated funds from his marketing firm during the course of the investigation and trial.

This all happended in Atlanta. He's practically been a model citizen since being released from prison.

Go back and research that case for yourself. It's pretty obvious the guy raped those women. He's been accused 3 times since '08 and has got off because he's in good with the police department in that town (deleted security tapes incriminating Ben in case.) He has a pattern of doing this, and premeditates his crimes, getting his victims as drunk and possible and having body guards to look out for any witnesses as he commits date rape. There was both physical and DNA evidence supporting that at least one of the women were raped by Ben, but he paid for his innocence in that case.

Like I said, people care more about their pets than other human beings. Roethlisberger is a *, and a vile human being but people are willing to forgive him despite him showing little remorse. Where's the outrage against him? Definite double-standard

This all happended in Atlanta. He's practically been a model citizen since being released from prison.

That's all fine and good but it takes a while to rebuild a reputation, particularly one that's been that damaged. Some people forgave him and let it go once he finished serving his time but some won't let it go until long after he has dropped out of the spotlight if ever. It's an individual thing that really just depends on your view of Vick's actions, your view of people in general, and your view of animals.

There are a lot of people out there who would be absolutely furious about this sentiment:

People need to get over the dog fighting. Dogs died sure. Vick he just made a mistake.

And that's perfectly understandable if you can recognize the significant difference in their worldview form CBS'.

Go back and research that case for yourself. It's pretty obvious the guy raped those women. He's been accused 3 times since '08 and has got off because he's in good with the police department in that town (deleted security tapes incriminating Ben in case.) He has a pattern of doing this, and premeditates his crimes, getting his victims as drunk and possible and having body guards to look out for any witnesses as he commits date rape. There was both physical and DNA evidence supporting that at least one of the women were raped by Ben, but he paid for his innocence in that case.

Like I said, people care more about their pets than other human beings. Roethlisberger is a *, and a vile human being but people are willing to forgive him despite him showing little remorse. Where's the outrage against him? Definite double-standard

nice interweb research....

Rae Carruth doesn't deserve breath. Let me be clear about that from the start. There is also an article about his son in the Manning/RG3 SI that is out this week(haven't read it yet), but just throwing that out there as well for those that might be interested.

To say Vick simply made a mistake is dead wrong. If it were a one time thing, that might be a fair point. Vick helped organize, bank roll and set up that operation. He knew exactly what he was doing, if he were as passionate about football as he was about his kennel, then he might actually be a bit more consistent quarterback.

Vick sat out and accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish with the dog fighting, up until he got caught.

Truth be told if he didn't have the Virginia DA in his back pocket from the start he might still be in state prison on those charges.

He didn't make a mistake. A mistake doesn't last close to a decade. He made concentrated efforts and calculated decisions of years.

Dante Stallworth and Leonard Little fit the definition of mistake more in my eyes. They made horrible choices as well, but it wasn't like they sat out to have the end result happened. The gambled, and it cost people their lives. Sad stories all around. A horrible mistake, but they did make one solitary mistake, well except for Little when he was busted for DUI the 2nd time.

Mike Vick didn't make a mistake. Chad Johnson in a lapse of judgement made a mistake.

this style of QB never wins on the biggest stage. McNabb, Vick, Cam and now RG3, never had, never will win a SB.

Run minded QB dont see SB success in this league.

Elway and Young were scramblers, this is different.

Different because it doesn't fit your argument? Maybe. McNabb was no more a "run minded" QB than Young or Elway, especially in the latter part of his career. I hate to say it, but he only gets that "athletic qb" label because he's black. Black QB's who are athletic are labeled as "slash" players, but white QB's who have a similar skillset always get labeled the "scrambler," yet are never questioned about their abilities as a 'pure passer' like their black counterparts. And I think it's a bit much for you to conclude that RG III and Cam won't win a championship, ever, this soon in their careers. Cam, has at least shown that he has the ability to be a pocket passer as well as a scrambler. The jury is still out on RGIII... Noticed you didn't put Tebow on that list

this style of QB never wins on the biggest stage. McNabb, Vick, Cam and now RG3, never had, never will win a SB.

Run minded QB dont see SB success in this league.

Elway and Young were scramblers, this is different.

Cam Newton and Robert Griffin are both pass-first quarterbacks, and neither are bad at it. I think it's way too soon to assume that neither of them will win a Super Bowl.