Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hard Knocks/Vontae Davis (merge)

SubZero

Guys hes 24 not 30 on top of that he was traded without even knowing it till after it was done, I'd be shocked to if I was a talented a Corner as him. He still has some growing up to do but Im not holding anything he did or didnt do in Miami against him, That organization is barely hanging on as it is. Besides hes the best Corner we have had in the last 20 years

My thoughts of Vontae Davis is he is a young talented kid that wanted to talk to his grandma when he got the news.He looked a bit sad n a bit shocked. I dont think he thought he would be traded . This was a wake up call for him n i think he has a good heart. Im glad hes a colt n he will do well. God bless Vontae....

I was listening to a local radio show and Brian Balldinger was on and saying how he was at NFL films and the guys left at 7:00 last night to get the episode to HBO for last nights airing so he says it is common practice for them to finish the edit right before it goes live.

I think I'm gonna send my resume to Miami.......they'll probably be looking for a new GM soon.

Immaturity is not a positive character trait but it doesn't necessarily equal bad character either.

Well said Gentlemen. Hey The Peytonator, can I be your personal office assistant in Miami? I'll help you evaluate players and cheerleaders too. It's a tough gig man, but I know we're up for the challenge right? haha

Exactly Joker, just because a guy likes being a clown doesn't mean he can't flip the switch and be focused and serious when the situation demands it. :thmup:

I've never watched Hard Knocks, but I suppose stuff like this is part of the very nature of the show.

However, to give someone news like this when the cameras are rolling just seems really cold to me.

Trades and cuts are a part of training camp and Hard Knocks is a behind the scene's view of training camps

Well said Gentlemen. Hey The Peytonator, can I be your personal office assistant in Miami? I'll help you evaluate players and cheerleaders too. It's a tough gig man, but I know we're up for the challenge right? haha

Oh you know you'd be my assistant in command.....provided you're okay with taking seconds of the sloppy variety. haha

Hmmm, I guess I'm missing something because I live in South Florida and have only heard good things from, and about Davis until now. I've heard him on local sports radio and heard other members of his team speak well of him. Frankly, he's been considered one of the bright spots, until now of course. There's plenty of Dolphins fans around here saying wth on this deal. All of the sudden he's a bad guy? B.S.! He's played tough and solid football here and was well liked until this camp.

It's worth noting that each year pre-season optimism has been lower than the year before in Miami. The team, city and fans are in an endless rutt where championship success is always 5 years away. The stadium is filled only when the visiting team buys up the tickets. The front office and coaching staffs just keep coming and going, as do players. Every year something like this goes on... the best talent escapes and the team fights to achieve mediocrity.

There's nothing wrong with this kid, period. The great work ethic of the Colts and a full stadium of rabid Colts fans, is just what the doctor ordered. It's a steal of a deal!

Oh you know you'd be my assistant in command.....provided you're okay with taking seconds of the sloppy variety. haha

That's fine with me Peytonator. Miami's seconds are most NFL's pom pom squad's first's right? haha [see the Oliver Twist/Charles Dickens reference below:] Asking for seconds, or another helping or serving of a delicious dish, is usually frowned upon...

Hmmm, I guess I'm missing something because I live in South Florida and have only heard good things from, and about Davis until now. I've heard him on local sports radio and heard other members of his team speak well of him. Frankly, he's been considered one of the bright spots, until now of course. There's plenty of Dolphins fans around here saying wth on this deal. All of the sudden he's a bad guy? B.S.! He's played tough and solid football here and was well liked until this camp.

It's worth noting that each year pre-season optimism has been lower than the year before in Miami. The team, city and fans are in an endless rutt where championship success is always 5 years away. The stadium is filled only when the visiting team buys up the tickets. The front office and coaching staffs just keep coming and going, as do players. Every year something like this goes on... the best talent escapes and the team fights to achieve mediocrity.

There's nothing wrong with this kid, period. The great work ethic of the Colts and a full stadium of rabid Colts fans, is just what the doctor ordered. It's a steal of a deal!

I tried to like that, but I guess I reached my quota. Nicely said. Good thing Florida has their basketball, because it looks like football will be taking a backseat......they might even be thrown in the trunk since the Rays have been pretty good too. That organization is going to be driven into the ground, as if it's not already about 6 feet under.

Vontae is going to be a baller for us for a while. I'm never wrong when it comes to my Colts.

I have no idea how smart or how dim Vontae is or isn't, so im not going to make any snap judgments on him, but he is a 24 yr. old kid who's life changed in a minute's time. I don't care who you are or how smart you are, if you were told by your boss that you're all of a sudden transferred to a new city a thousand miles away and you have to get on a plane and go pretty much right now, then anybody would be a little overwhelmed, especially for a 24 yr. old kid. Sure it's part of the business and they all know in the back of their minds it can happen, but until it actually does I'm sure most of them don't put a lot of thought into it. I think that making a judgment on him because of his initial reaction is a bit harsh.

That's fine with me Peytonator. Miami's seconds are most NFL's pom pom squad's first's right? haha [see the Oliver Twist/Charles Dickens reference below:] Asking for seconds, or another helping or serving of a delicious dish, is usually frowned upon...

Seconds will not be frowned upon when I'm in charge......or even forty seconds. muahahahahaha

Hopefully the staff members know their place, because there may be some long nights at the office. Sometimes you have to put in the extra hours to build a winning franchise. lmao

Why is everyone on this guy like he has shot the pope our somethng. Davis has not had negative press, because if he did ESPN would have been all over it. Miami probably was not the fit for him. The Phins are a team without a identity and they just released the only bright spot in their secondary V Davis, the Colts just gain a young ball player with a major up side that is what I see. If I was cutting a player I would bad mouth him to. So with that being said lets look at his stats Fifth in the AFC in INTs last year with I believe 43 or 33 solo tackles plus bat downs. I believe that was more then the whole secondary of the Colts. So lets not jump on a bandwagon because one person on the board says something bad about him. Davis is a baller and I'm happy he is now a Colts. Coltstrong

It would probably hurt a little bit to be told you were traded. It's like a girl saying, 'hey you're a nice guy, but Greg here just has more to offer.....if you know what I mean.' ;)

Pretty funny, actually it's worse than that. It's like a girl saying, "hey you're a nice guy but I think I will meet someone at some future date that has more to offer.... if you know what I mean."

Agreed but the first reaction before the meeting is over is call Granny? I can't put my finger on why that was troubling to me, but for whatever the reason it was.

Without having seen the show, all I can say is "better his grandmother than his drug dealer, hanger-on from the old neighborhood, bookie, pimp, etc". I don't know, I've had worse things happen to me at a younger age and had too much pride to call anyone. People are different. At least in his first interview he seemed like a really nice kid, and the reports about him working late to try and catch up are better than if he was (for instance) pulling a T.O. like tantrum and still staying in Miami feeling sorry for himself while trying to get as much media attention as possible. I suspect that his Grandma had something to do with that. I also remember how "immature" his brother was in Miami until he found a coach he respected that gave him direction and motivation. I'm actually quite optimistic.

Pretty funny, actually it's worse than that. It's like a girl saying, "hey you're a nice guy but I think I will meet someone at some future date that has more to offer.... if you know what I mean."

haha Very true. Except in Miami's case, they'll probably just throw a bunch of draft prospect names in a hat and hope for the best. Poor Ryan Tannehill.....shouldn't of even went in the first round and now he's the last hope for a franchise that is doomed to die.

If I lived in Miami - I would be upset if someone forced me to go live in Indiana.

Yes, because everytime I'm enjoying our forests and rivers, smokin and drinkin with these good hearted country folk, I always wish there were more illegal immigrants, crime and hurricanes.

His grandmother may be very close to him, might even have raised his. big fricken deal. Id be in shock to, to think this shame of a team just traded their best CB...lol. there is nothing really to turn around. Dont think he was a talent stuck in a rut like vernon either. I look for him to break out something fierce here. Im very, very, very happy with the trade. and he looked genuinely excited to be a colt in his interview.

Yes, because everytime I'm enjoying our forests and rivers, smokin and drinkin with these good hearted country folk, I always wish there were more illegal immigrants, crime and hurricanes.

Logged in for the first time in a while to simply say "+1". Nobody does it better than we do!

His grandmother may be very close to him, might even have raised his. big fricken deal.

That's exactly the case. After I heard the story with Grandmma I came across an Youtube video of an interview given by Davis sometime in 2011. During that interview he mentioned the special role that his Grandmma played in his life. He says that she actually was the one to raise him, Vernon and his 4 sisters. Please also keep in mind that Davis brothers are from Washington DC, a city with some really bad areas, crime rate wise. She may have helped him and his brother stay out of trouble.

You can FF to 0:40

I just watched this and man he looked stunned. He looked like he just got cut and I think the I am want to call my grandma thing was more him wanting to get away from the situation and not "looking like a girl" on tv by being upset.

This is the first Hard Knocks I am watching and I have to say that it has actually made me want to root for the fins to not be so bad.

That's exactly the case. After I heard the story with Grandmma I came across an Youtube video of an interview given by Davis sometime in 2011. During that interview he mentioned the special role that his Grandmma played in his life. He says that she actually was the one to raise him, Vernon and his 4 sisters. Please also keep in mind that Davis brothers are from Washington DC, a city with some really bad areas, crime rate wise. She may have helped him and his brother stay out of trouble.

You can FF to 0:40

I just watched this and man he looked stunned. He looked like he just got cut and I think the I am want to call my grandma thing was more him wanting to get away from the situation and not "looking like a girl" on tv by being upset.

This is the first Hard Knocks I am watching and I have to say that it has actually made me want to root for the fins to not be so bad.

Exactly this. Had to be a massive blow to his pride. It only makes it worse that they shoved a camera in his face while it happened.

woa woa woa...Lemme get this straight. He wanted to talk to his grandma? HIS GRANDMA?!?! jeez might as well release him now. Bust written all over him just because he talks to his grandma...silly Vontae.

Is that actually what im reading here? I didnt see the clip but a guy talking to his grandma after a huge life changing moment is not a big deal at all to me. Heck he can call everyone in his family for all I care.

...Ive honestly been sitting here for 10 min trying to figure out how calling a relative and character concerns can even be used in the same sentence.

..I called my grandpa last week to see how hes feelin cause hes in the hospital...Well if only I could have read this earlier, I wouldnt have made that rude phone call to my grandpa to see how hes doin. :slaphead:

This would be tough, I agree. His spirits after the trade were much higher and he seems excited to be here now. I don't know what his family situation is like, but for all I know his grandma lives with him and he wanted to call her to tell her he was moving. I find the fact that his first thought was his grandma kind of endearing.

That tends to happen. I almost became a Cowboys fan in 2008... almost.