Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geeen Bay @ Seattle (9-4-14)

oldunclemark

I'm tired of everyone calling Wilson an "elite QB". He almost had two interceptions tonight but both were drops.

Wilson is an elite QB. There's not one thing he does not do very well. He's a great pocket passer. He's great outside the pocket. He has a great arm. He throws a great touch pass. He read defenses like a long time vet. He gets better game to game. He perhaps prepares for a game better than anyone.

I think Pete Carroll is quite happy with him. Anyone who claims Wilson is overrated, doesn't know squat about either football, or talent evaluation.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And people were complaining about his height.

I expected a blowout and this was a lob sided game after the first half.

Greenbae needs to address that awful D line and O Line or they may risk to miss the playoffs this year.

They looked weak and Rodgers looked uncomfortable in the pocket.

The Seattle defense looked even better than last year!

It's bad news for the NFC teams that are going to the playoffs since most likely the road to the SB will be going through Seattle this year again.

I really don't see any other NFC teams being at the same level as Seattle with the 49ers having issues with suspensions and injured players...

This brings up an interesting question. Why DOESN'T Sherman play the #1 WR at all times? I always assumed he did. How can he be more effective on only one side of the field, when he plays a linear position on a rectangular field? Why can't he just mirror what he does on the other side? Is this normal for top rated CBs?

He only plays the right side. I think it has more to do with Seattle's schemes. But this is why I don't consider him in the same league as the CBs that play the best receiver. He is targeted so little because teams line up their 3rd and 4th WRs on him like GB did last night. Imagine if he covered Nelson all night.

A few thoughts:

Seattle looks like a team if it stays healthly to be able to repeat since the Pats of 03-04 and they seem as hungry as ever. Bad news for the rest of the NFC.

Wilson continues to impress me. No weakness in the guys game. Makes the plays that are there and has some nice ball fakes. I would like to see the Pats incorporate some of the misdirection plays that Seattle does. They were lethal.

Seattle better address punt returns. Having the safety back there was a mistake.

GB still looks like GB to me. A team completely reliant on Rodgers to carry the day. If Seattle does not muff that punt, I wonder if the blow out happens sooner. At some point this team needs to figure out the Oline and Dline. And the coaching? Yikes. It was like they forgot Pervin was on Seattle. I know it is tough to cover him and all but Seattle literally ran many of the plays they did in the Super Bowl and the Packers were not prepared.

On the bright side, Lacy is a beast. They need to be balanced this year and let Lacy take some of the burden off of Rodgers.

I think this one is a blowout, IMO and the Seahawks roll, something like 34-17 or 34-24, they roll at least by 10 pts, IMO.

Packers' O-line cannot keep up with the pass rush of Bennett and Avril and Rodgers holds on to the ball long enough for the Seahawks to get enough sacks at home.

X-factor in this game is McCarthy's playcalling and the run game of the Packers with Eddie Lacy, that is the ONLY thing that can keep the Packers in the game, IMO. Wilson and Lynch will do their thing but if the Seahawks go NASCAR package, Eddie Lacy's running could help the Pack neutralize it and give them a little bit of a chance.

Refs ain't bailing the Packers out in this one, not on the road going against a defending SB champ.

It looks like it was a blowout indeed :). 8 pts to Peyton and the Broncos, 7 & 15 for Brees and company in 2 games, 16 for Rodgers and company out of which 7 was due to a muffed punt return by Earl Thomas. Does this D need anymore hype? The results speak for themselves. Maxwell starting later in the season opposite Sherman totally changed the LOB.

Your best bet against Seattle is keep them to FGs and stay patient and play a low 20s game.

Green Bay should not have abandoned the run on that first drive.  They were moving it very well with and had the Seahawks back on their heels a bit and then Rodgers killed the drive with a pass for loss and a sack.  

The Seattle option pass looked pretty impressive but it was a very clear Illegal Receiver Down Field and should have been brought back.  An offensive lineman was about 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

It looks like it was a blowout indeed :). 8 pts to Peyton and the Broncos, 7 & 15 for Brees and company in 2 games, 16 for Rodgers and company out of which 7 was due to a muffed punt return by Earl Thomas. Does this D need anymore hype? The results speak for themselves. Maxwell starting later in the season opposite Sherman totally changed the LOB.

Your best bet against Seattle is keep them to FGs and stay patient and play a low 20s game.

Good points. How do you see the match up this year between Denver and Seattle? Repeat of the Super Bowl? I think it is closer but Denver still loses by two scores. This Seattle D is the best in the game.

Wilson is an elite QB. There's not one thing he does not do very well. He's a great pocket passer. He's great outside the pocket. He has a great arm. He throws a great touch pass. He read defenses like a long time vet. He gets better game to game. He perhaps prepares for a game better than anyone.

I think Pete Carroll is quite happy with him. Anyone who claims Wilson is overrated, doesn't know squat about either football, or talent evaluation.

He is a good young quarterback.  That is very different than an elite one.  Elite quarterbacks take over and dominate ball games and can win consistently without a great defense and running game.  I have seen very little evidence of Wilson ever doing that yet.   It's not a knock on him at all because there are only 4 truly elite quarterbacks in the league - Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady.

You nailed it ..

I was pulling for GB for one reason...        I cannot stand Richard Sherman ...  and guess what..   "the GREAT Aaron Rodgers"   threw at the greatest CB in NFL history ...  how many times?    ZERO I think.  

Really?   GB, McCarthwatever, and AR?      :You are that scared of that guy?  

Seattle is LEGIT...       they RUN, they play D, and they have a GREAT QB.   

Seattle is the real deal folks. ..    

I think this one is a blowout, IMO and the Seahawks roll, something like 34-17 or 34-24, they roll at least by 10 pts, IMO.

Packers' O-line cannot keep up with the pass rush of Bennett and Avril and Rodgers holds on to the ball long enough for the Seahawks to get enough sacks at home.

X-factor in this game is McCarthy's playcalling and the run game of the Packers with Eddie Lacy, that is the ONLY thing that can keep the Packers in the game, IMO. Wilson and Lynch will do their thing but if the Seahawks go NASCAR package, Eddie Lacy's running could help the Pack neutralize it and give them a little bit of a chance.

Refs ain't bailing the Packers out in this one, not on the road going against a defending SB champ.

He is a good young quarterback.  That is very different than an elite one.  Elite quarterbacks take over and dominate ball games and can win consistently without a great defense and running game.  I have seen very little evidence of Wilson ever doing that yet.   It's not a knock on him at all because there are only 4 truly elite quarterbacks in the league - Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady.

From what you have seen of Wilson, what makes you think he could not do those things?

I agree with all.. 

But we live in the NOW world...     Russel is shiny and "winning BIG" ...      With Pete Carroll, the Best D in the NFL, and ....    perhaps the BEST running game in the NFL.    

Life is good for Russell.       

ELITE, means you carry your team to W's.    Period.      Wilson has ONE of those moments if I am correct.   the Atlanta game.  

Bottom line is Wilson does not have a D that gets him behind the 8 ball right oft the bat, if ever?  He does not have a running game that will let him see 3rd and 8 all game long, and he has a D that gives the Seattle O field position.     

Remember how all us Manning fans use to cry about "field position" ???     Start at our own 20 or deeper ALL the TIME?

A great D makes for GREAT field position.  It is HUGE.

Russell is fantastic and he is IMO a ALL PRO but we will never know how ELITE R W is until he is asked to DO IT ALL>

That is the ONLY reason I give Luck so much respect.    He HAS TOTALLY CARRIED THIS TEAM.    And has had to every time out of the ...  what 9 4th Q comebacks?    in his 2 year career?    

Andrew is driving a Chevette and getting it into the "CAR SHOW" ..

Wilson is driving a Cadillac and .....     winning shows.

I'll give my short answer...

Elite..      Stud, IE...     you are the reason "your" team is winning games.       Rises above. 

Manning, Brady, Brees, ..     and I will not put Rodgers in this mix.      Superman will debate.  

I truly think Luck is right there.           He is SO CLUTCH.      With NO running game, NO OL,  NO D whatsoever. 

I am an apologist.   BUT this one is loaded with the goods.    AL has got it done in the 4th Q.     Period.

We have yet to see Wilson "overcome" team setbacks.     He simply in not the focal point of the TEAM, or the O.  

Seattle is a RUNNING team.       

a lot of QB's are really good with a GREAT running game.         Take it away....    and fall behind?

Just saying.

From what you have seen of Wilson, what makes you think he could not do those things?

Nothing.  But I have not seen enough that says he can either.  Lots of young quarterbacks come in the league with lots of promise but very few reach the pinnacle of the position.  I am not insulting either his play or his potential.  I just want to see him play at a truly elite level before saying he is elite just because he might be able to do so.

RW was a 3rd round draft choice....     EVERY other team in the NFL had a crack at dude.     Seattle pulled the trigger after signing Matt Flynn,.   

Willson was not the second coming of .....   

That said he has EARNED everything he has raked in.        The Huge question facing the Seahawks in the next couple of years is WHO is responsible?   Who gets PAID?     Is Russel W a 20m dolla QB?      Any body gonna give it to him with all that talent around him?   How much is Pete and how much is the D?   How much is RW?  How much is Lynch...  who they are trying to run off?   Not so fast Pete...    he really is STUD.      Indy can only dream about a back like that.     

the next 5 years in the NFL will be fascinating...    If the GODdell lets them play like big boys.    hehee

Nothing.  But I have not seen enough that says he can either.  Lots of young quarterbacks come in the league with lots of promise but very few reach the pinnacle of the position.  I am not insulting either his play or his potential.  I just want to see him play at a truly elite level before saying he is elite just because he might be able to do so.

Seattle is obviously very talented , and has a great shot at repeating. It won't be easy , but that defense is young, fast, and hard hitting, and I've seen some good defenses in my life time. I like Russell Wilson. Hard working QB that just wins. The GM is great, Carroll now looks like a genius , many years after the New York Daily News had a picture of him and Rich Kotite on the cover in Jets coaching apparel , as Dumb and Dumber. Seems they were only half right , as Carroll got the last laugh.

You must have been watching a different game. Aaron Rogers would disagree with you on that one.

watched it all..mlt jjust the highlights.

For much of the game..Rodgers had time..he just didn't have open receivers

GB lst a starting lineman to injury late in the half....

Seattle's rush got better after that

Russell W has the luxury to be able to throw the ball away when needed.. even on 3rd down.

..He also rarely gets minus yards from run plays..

..and he's smart enough to know he has those two things...and max them out

He never takes a big hit......and even though he's not as fast as Robert Griffin...he never gets hit and Robert always does

Good points. How do you see the match up this year between Denver and Seattle? Repeat of the Super Bowl? I think it is closer but Denver still loses by two scores. This Seattle D is the best in the game.

Call me crazy but not having Welker might force the Broncos to be patient against Seattle and they may incorporate multiple TEs and stay patient in the game, which might actually work in their favor. Peyton is not going to move around like Rodgers but he will get rid of the ball fast enough and if his O-line can hold up, it will be a one score game win for Seattle this time around, IMO. There is hopefully no excuse for not preparing for crowd noise this time, LOL :)

It depends on how you define elite.  I've never really liked throwing around the term because it's so overused.  But he's good enough to keep your lead in games when you're winning and bring you back from deficits.  Generally makes little mistakes and keeps moving the chains.  If you've got a guy like that, you've got a QB good enough to win a superbowl.  If that's "elite" then I'll take it.  If we're saying "elite" means top 3, then no, he's not elite.  But that definition doesn't really do much but invite debate over something as silly as who is better than who when all that matters is whether he can help win you football games - and Wilson can do that.  I wouldn't take Wilson over Luck or Rodgers, but at the same token, I wouldn't at all feel like I'm losing out if I did have Wilson.  Good football player.

But this is why I don't consider him in the same league as the CBs that play the best receiver. He is targeted so little because teams line up their 3rd and 4th WRs on him like GB did last night. Imagine if he covered Nelson all night.

WELL I'M THE BEST CORNER IN DA GAME! DAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LINE ME UP WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE A #3 OR #4! L.O.B.!

On topic - Wilson is a certainly a very good QB. Great? After two seasons I wouldn't say that about anyone - including Luck who will likely be the best of his generation down the road. We all know Wilson doesn't have to be great, either, with that defense.

If nothing else - Wilson doesn't make many mistakes and has good speed and a good arm. He's a very solid QB, but it's a bit premature to call him great. Wilson has yet to carry the load for Seattle. He hasn't had to. If Seattle's D ever wanes we'll see what he's made of.

What if Seattle is dominant for the next 2-3 seasons and Wilson never even gets a chance to have to carry the load? If he consistently performs as he does now I'll gladly call him a great QB by that point. Gotta build up a track record of consistent excellence to be great imo.

It depends on how you define elite.  I've never really liked throwing around the term because it's so overused.  But he's good enough to keep your lead in games when you're winning and bring you back from deficits.  Generally makes little mistakes and keeps moving the chains.  If you've got a guy like that, you've got a QB good enough to win a superbowl.  If that's "elite" then I'll take it.  If we're saying "elite" means top 3, then no, he's not elite.  But that definition doesn't really do much but invite debate over something as silly as who is better than who when all that matters is whether he can help win you football games - and Wilson can do that.  I wouldn't take Wilson over Luck or Rodgers, but at the same token, I wouldn't at all feel like I'm losing out if I did have Wilson.  Good football player.

Wilson is at the same stage that Tom Brady was during his earlier years. He will win a lot of playoff games and possibly SBs too with such team help around him. Once he is asked to bear the load like Brady did for years after that, he might surprise a lot of us by showing us he can carry the team if given weapons even after that vaunted D gets older and/or injured. That may not translate to same amount of SB wins like Brady has experienced but Wilson will have a lot of equity to work with in the eyes of public perception once he becomes a multiple SB winner, period.

Byron Maxwell is getting destroyed.. I don't understand why Sherman can't shadow the number 1 receiver like all the other good corners. That might hurt them this year.

I know the game is over but.. Sherman only ever plays one side of the field. I don't think he can play the other side. Just not in him, Idk if he can't turn and make the moves opposite of what he normally does.

Wilson is at the same stage that Tom Brady was during his earlier years. He will win a lot of playoff games and possibly SBs too with such team help around him. Once he is asked to bear the load like Brady did for years after that, he might surprise a lot of us by showing us he can carry the team if given weapons even after that vaunted D gets older and/or injured. That may not translate to same amount of SB wins like Brady has experienced but Wilson will have a lot of equity to work with in the eyes of public perception once he becomes a multiple SB winner, period.

I've noticed the similarities as well.  He's lucky to have such a strong team around him now as it gives him a lot more room and time to perfect his craft and cover a lot of his mistakes (not that he makes more mistakes, but just that every QB makes mistakes).  If that one pass were picked off in the first quarter at around mid-field, you could have a lot more confidence that your D will make the stop than if it were any other team.  Good situation to be in.

And people were complaining about his height.

I expected a blowout and this was a lob sided game after the first half.

Greenbae needs to address that awful D line and O Line or they may risk to miss the playoffs this year.

They looked weak and Rodgers looked uncomfortable in the pocket.

The Seattle defense looked even better than last year!

It's bad news for the NFC teams that are going to the playoffs since most likely the road to the SB will be going through Seattle this year again.

I really don't see any other NFC teams being at the same level as Seattle with the 49ers having issues with suspensions and injured players...

I disagree.  Packers played in Seattle where the 49ers, Patriots and Saints struggle and have lost.  The Packers were playing against the #1 defense in the NFL with the loudest crowd noise.  I didn't see anything surprising the first 3 quarters that I watched.  The game was close for 3 quarters.  Then the Seahawks blew it open.  Seahawks were favored by many.

The Packers for years were a high powered offensive team with a bad defense.  They won the super bowl in 2010 with a bad defense.

I think the Packers go on to have their regular 12-4 to 11-5 season and win the NFC North.

"This contest wasn’t as lopsided and, unlike the Broncos, the Packers were at least still within striking distance in the fourth quarter. But this was yet another physically dominant Seahawks performance with running back Marshawn Lynch rumbling through Green Bay’s defense for 110 yards and two touchdowns as well as a nasty defense registering two key second-half sacks of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers that busted the game open." [END QUOTE]

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20140905/NFL-Seahawks-Harvin-Packers/

I hate to take credit away from Wilson, but if RG3 was the QB of the Seahawks I still think the Seahawks would have won the super bowl.   They're that good a team.

I disagree. Put any average QB in Wilson's spot and I still believe Seahawks would be a great team.

I disagree. Put any average QB in Wilson's spot and I still believe Seahawks would be a great team.

I agree.  Joe Flacco was the MVP of the super bowl.  We all know the Ravens' D carried that team.

A great defense gives the offense so many extra opportunities to score.  It puts the ball back into the hands of the QB more times during a game.

That's why the Colts and Broncos under Manning and Patriots under Brady have struggled in the post season for years.  They were all offense and not much defense.  They were asking too much of their QB to carry the team.

Wilson makes the difference between Seattle being a #2 or #3 seed in the NFC to being a #1 seed, about 2-3 games, IMO of a difference.

Some QBs can make a 4-6 game difference instantly, like a Peyton, Brees, Brady or Rodgers. Wilson is not there yet but he has the luxury of time to hone his craft. However, without him and just an average QB leading it, Seattle does not have HFA in the NFC, I can bet and will not be a great team, but a good team, in the 12-4, 11-5 range. He takes them to the 13-3/14-2 level, IMO.

I'll give my short answer...

Elite..      Stud, IE...     you are the reason "your" team is winning games.       Rises above. 

Manning, Brady, Brees, ..     and I will not put Rodgers in this mix.      Superman will debate.  

I truly think Luck is right there.           He is SO CLUTCH.      With NO running game, NO OL,  NO D whatsoever. 

I am an apologist.   BUT this one is loaded with the goods.    AL has got it done in the 4th Q.     Period.

We have yet to see Wilson "overcome" team setbacks.     He simply in not the focal point of the TEAM, or the O.  

Seattle is a RUNNING team.       

a lot of QB's are really good with a GREAT running game.         Take it away....    and fall behind?

Just saying.

I don't disagree with any of this but again after watching Wilson, what makes you feel he could not do what the others elites do if asked?

Why define him as anything? I think the guys game is elite. No weakness. He was asked to do more last year with all the injuries on O and he produced. He may have much bigger numbers this year if Percy can stay healthy.

I have to admit I thought Green Bay would run the ball more and be more effective with it. I also thought they would run Aaron out on some rollouts more to get him out of the pocket comfortably away from that crazy pass rush....giving him some more time and comfort to throw the ball down the field. I knew it would be bad if Seattle's offense showed up and man they have some nice play designs...and Lynch is far from retiring he looked like the stud he always has been. You can't give Seattle that kind of field position all game...thats just a recipe to lose to ANYONE. You need to sustain drives...get points any way you can and your defense has to get some 3 and outs....that didn't happen and clearly Seattle is the class of the NFL right now. Great QB play, coaching, defense....the only thing that I would say is they still have issues on that OL in pass protection but Wilson just covers it up with his brilliant movement. Thats a tough team to beat...and not just in Seattle...they can travel.

Oh and Percy is dynamic...he is the x-factor in that offense...he really scares teams with his speed. He adds a real extra dimension to that offense. If he can stay healthy...a big if..Wilson should have a big year.

Call me crazy but not having Welker might force the Broncos to be patient against Seattle and they may incorporate multiple TEs and stay patient in the game, which might actually work in their favor. Peyton is not going to move around like Rodgers but he will get rid of the ball fast enough and if his O-line can hold up, it will be a one score game win for Seattle this time around, IMO. There is hopefully no excuse for not preparing for crowd noise this time, LOL :)

I think Denver will beat them by double digits to make a clear statement.  With Clady back I don't think Seattle will be able to pressure Manning with only 4 defensive linemen like they did in the Super Bowl because the left tackle, right tackle, and left guard positions with all be significantly improved. 

Some notes from last night. 

@NFL_Midwest · 12m
As good as Seattle defense is, Packers were out of sync. Nelson doesn't know play, Rogers doesn't see. #SEAvsGB #NFL 

BwxzphjIcAE1-HT.jpg

@NFL_Midwest 7m
Even the best QB in the game can miss open WR’s. Out of sync or afraid of Sherman, either case, bad. #SEAvsGB #NFL

Bwx0VwFIAAI7aYf.jpg 

@NFL_Midwest 14m
Not sure this was a pass by design. Shields bites so hard on the read option leaves wide open WR, TD. #SEAvsGB #NFL 
BwxykQ9IUAEkjMJ.jpg 

‏@NFL_Midwest
Bad defense and great play design. 3 Frozen linebackers, read option run to perfection for a TD. #SEAvsGB #NFL 

Bwxuh6OCQAA2ZAm.jpg

@FBallGameplan 5m
Easy to play defense when you have 6 covering four 
Bwx2IxICMAEzZEi.jpg 

Even after Rodgers undermined my argument last night, yeah, I'll debate. ;)

As for Russell Wilson, I think he's a playmaker. The Seahawks don't put the whole thing on his shoulders very often, but he's shown the ability to make huge plays in big situations. He's in a really good situation, but that doesn't change what he is capable of.

Some notes from last night. 

@NFL_Midwest · 12m

As good as Seattle defense is, Packers were out of sync. Nelson doesn't know play, Rogers doesn't see. #SEAvsGB #NFL 

BwxzphjIcAE1-HT.jpg

@NFL_Midwest 7m

Even the best QB in the game can miss open WR’s. Out of sync or afraid of Sherman, either case, bad. #SEAvsGB #NFL

Bwx0VwFIAAI7aYf.jpg 

@NFL_Midwest 14m

Not sure this was a pass by design. Shields bites so hard on the read option leaves wide open WR, TD. #SEAvsGB #NFL 

BwxykQ9IUAEkjMJ.jpg 

‏@NFL_Midwest

Bad defense and great play design. 3 Frozen linebackers, read option run to perfection for a TD. #SEAvsGB #NFL 

Bwxuh6OCQAA2ZAm.jpg

@FBallGameplan 5m

Easy to play defense when you have 6 covering four 

Bwx2IxICMAEzZEi.jpg 

The same thing happened in the SB too. Peyton missed a lot of open wideouts too, I attribute that to the rush getting to the QB speeding his mental clock. The key is the OL being able to sustain the 4 man pressure of the Seahawks forcing them to rush 5. They were normally swarming like a Pack around Rodgers within 3 seconds and he had guys very close to hitting him if he did not get rid of the ball.

I still do not understand why teams don't put hat-on-hat and use physical TEs, even if they cannot catch, if the Seahawks trot out the NASCAR package to run against them, and force them to get out of nickel. Pats can do that with Gronk, Julius Thomas and Jimmy Graham are unfortunately receiving TEs who happen to be big but are not very good run blockers. But with Welker out, I am curious if the Broncos use Tamme and JT more often inline, and invoke that 3rd TE, Virgil Green too.

The same thing happened in the SB too. Peyton missed a lot of open wideouts too, I attribute that to the rush getting to the QB speeding his mental clock. The key is the OL being able to sustain the 4 man pressure of the Seahawks forcing them to rush 5. They were normally swarming like a Pack around Rodgers within 3 seconds and he had guys very close to hitting him if he did not get rid of the ball.

Rogers was not very good in this one and it wasn't just Seattle's defense, but I agree.