Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Will Start Week 1

SilentHill

Anyone that doesn't think so is crazy. So can we please end all the "veteran" QB discussions? I'm all for signing a decent backup that can be groomed to take over the offense when Manning is gone but this crap about signing old QB's or QB's that other teams have walked away from is insane. Also we won't be giving up any draft picks to get one of these guys.

Worst case scenario is Peyton is out for season, This will work for us though because Painter plays all season we go 0-16 and get the #1 overall pick next year and we draft a good backup QB :D

Well according to local TV station Channel 8 will have an interview with Peyton on the late night news. Maybe something will be said then. Who lnows but I will be watching for sure.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/manning%27s-availability-for-season-opener-in-doubt

Pretty much the samething I posted in my Manning thread from Fox 59. The bottom line is that they just don't know right now. I think it would be samrt for the Colts error on the side of caution and go get a backup QB now rather than maybe trying to have to scramble a week a before our opener.

Well according to local TV station Channel 8 will have an interview with Peyton on the late night news. Maybe something will be said then. Who lnows but I will be watching for sure.

Someone at the other forum posted about it,peyton said he will not play in the preseason and hopes to be ready for week 1 but is not sure.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/manning%27s-availability-for-season-opener-in-doubt

Pretty much the samething I posted in my Manning thread from Fox 59. The bottom line is that they just don't know right now. I think it would be samrt for the Colts error on the side of caution and go get a backup QB now rather than maybe trying to have to scramble a week a before our opener.

I imagine that is whats being done right now. I didn't see the post about the Fox 59 and your probably correct and that is what will be said. If I was a betting person I would bet that we have another backup QB next week. Who they get I have my opinions but who knows. I think they know now that Painter is not going to cut the mustard so to speak. I guess we'll see. I just want someone that can keep us afloat until Peyton can play and not get reinjured.

Riddle me this, but even if it was a sure thing he wouldn't be starting, why would the Colts rush to report it? That will only give the Texans an edge in knowing, "Oh, we don't have to plan against Manning! Good, then we can just work on our blitz packages and scare that Painter kid!"

I say procrastinate on announcing the injury as late as possible!

Riddle me this, but even if it was a sure thing he wouldn't be starting, why would the Colts rush to report it? That will only give the Texans an edge in knowing, "Oh, we don't have to plan against Manning! Good, then we can just work on our blitz packages and scare that Painter kid!"

I say procrastinate on announcing the injury as late as possible!

I honestly don't expect us to know till an hour before kickoff when the scratches are reported unless he stays on the PUP and well then the sky really is falling.

That Lombardi guy, on NFL Network. He said something about Bob Sanders may have to re-negotiate his contract, otherwise he would be released before it happened. He also said Manning is most likely not going to be ready for season opener. Everyone questioned his wisdom in writing it, and here we are.

Besides, I have told a few that know me that if we struggle like 2008 out of the gate, we probably do not make the playoffs due to how our schedule is laid out later, we had the Bengals, Browns and Lions later in the 2008 season, not the case this time. Hmmm....we will see.

Anyone that doesn't think so is crazy. So can we please end all the "veteran" QB discussions? I'm all for signing a decent backup that can be groomed to take over the offense when Manning is gone but this crap about signing old QB's or QB's that other teams have walked away from is insane. Also we won't be giving up any draft picks to get one of these guys.

Worst case scenario is Peyton is out for season, This will work for us though because Painter plays all season we go 0-16 and get the #1 overall pick next year and we draft a good backup QB :D

0-16???? My god what do you guys think the rest of the team do, sit around and pick their noses? without manning this team is an 8-8 team nothing less.

0-16???? My god what do you guys think the rest of the team do, sit around and pick their noses? without manning this team is an 8-8 team nothing less.

I agree, we have enough talent on the team to win 6 to 8 games and the .500 is probably on the high side of reality with a division winner schedule but we will be a 6-10 team at least with a tough schedule, 8-8 if we have a division like the NFC West on our schedule.

I think Peyton is capable of playing in next weeks game, but for precautionary measures, they won't play him. I think the media is overblowing this.

If that were the case the doctors would clear him like they did in 08 and still held him out for precautionary measures, I think there is some wishful thinking giong on here with some Colts fans.

18 will be on the field. The rest of the team, day to day basis.

If that were the case the doctors would clear him like they did in 08 and still held him out for precautionary measures, I think there is some wishful thinking giong on here with some Colts fans.

I would hate it if 08 happened again, hopefully he practices a little b4 he plays. I would hate to go 3-4 for the first 7 games.

I would hate it if 08 happened again, hopefully he practices a little b4 he plays. I would hate to go 3-4 for the first 7 games.

That Lombardi guy, on NFL Network. He said something about Bob Sanders may have to re-negotiate his contract, otherwise he would be released before it happened. He also said Manning is most likely not going to be ready for season opener. Everyone questioned his wisdom in writing it, and here we are.

Lombardi also said Manning will not do well when he comes back because he has lost muscle mass in his arm since has not thrown in a long time.

I'm with the OP, I'm 100% confident that Manning will start week 1

I hope Peyton takes his time and doesnt rush this. Lets be honest folks at his age he wont be healing fast! I dont want to see him play rusty! His throws will be off by 2ft. Our defense is looking pretty stacked on paper right now. Im in favor of Peyton missing the 1st 2 games so he can be as ready as possible! We have a very young O line now crap let Painter get creamed while Ben Ijulana and Anthony Castonzo learn on the fly.

I hope Peyton takes his time and doesnt rush this. Lets be honest folks at his age he wont be healing fast! I dont want to see him play rusty! His throws will be off by 2ft. Our defense is looking pretty stacked on paper right now. Im in favor of Peyton missing the 1st 2 games so he can be as ready as possible! We have a very young O line now crap let Painter get creamed while Ben Ijulana and Anthony Castonzo learn on the fly.

Manning's 2' errant passes > painter's 6' errant passes

I really hope Peyton is out there week 1! If not, we could be playing from behind all season. Say Peyton were to miss the first two games of the season. If we bring in a backup he will probably lose to the Texans. I just hope he would be able to give us a shot against the Browns. We always have low scoring games as it is. Then if Peyton comes back, the Steelers' defense will be licking their chops and coming after Manning. They would want to see if he was rusty early and often.

I sure hope Manning will play and help us eek out a win against the Texans and dust off those cobwebs quickly.

Lombardi also said Manning will not do well when he comes back because he has lost muscle mass in his arm since has not thrown in a long time.

I'm with the OP, I'm 100% confident that Manning will start week 1

Think Lombardi actually said muscle mass lost entire upper or lower body but really not sure, was to far back

You cant say what the Colts would do w/o Mannning unless you know what QB would be playing....

It's it one of the losers on the roster right now, they probably win 3-4 games at best.

If they bring in someone that has actually done something in the NFL and get them in camp TODAY -- so they have a few weeks to learn the offense -- they probably could win 7/8 games.

Basically yes. 0-16 isn't realistic because that has only happened once but 8-8 is just as unrealistic if you ask me. The schedule is very strong this year and the team looks absolutely horrible. Even bad teams like the Rams and Redskins have completely destroyed the Colt #1s without Manning.

Have you seen this years run defense? Have you seen the running game? They still have good receivers but they could be starting two rookies on the offensive line which means you are going to see false starts and other rookie mistakes. The offensive line isn't that good anyway and Manning has protected them for years by calling the plays at the line, something which no replacement is going to be doing. The coaching is poor.

On the bright side though the punter looks great and he could easily have one heck of a year with this offense.

Basically yes. 0-16 isn't realistic because that has only happened once but 8-8 is just as unrealistic if you ask me. The schedule is very strong this year and the team looks absolutely horrible. Even bad teams like the Rams and Redskins have completely destroyed the Colt #1s without Manning.

Have you seen this years run defense? Have you seen the running game? They still have good receivers but they could be starting two rookies on the offensive line which means you are going to see false starts and other rookie mistakes. The offensive line isn't that good anyway and Manning has protected them for years by calling the plays at the line, something which no replacement is going to be doing. The coaching is poor.

On the bright side though the punter looks great and he could easily have one heck of a year with this offense.

The sky is falling!!!! Look out!!!!

Manning plays week one - Colts win a tight one 28-24.

The sky is falling!!!! Look out!!!!

Manning plays week one - Colts win a tight one 28-24.

I don't think he had any illusions of the sky falling :-), I know that poster's posting history well enough to say that. The whole premise of his statement is that Manning won't play!!! Maybe Irsay should stop tweeting to not get the fan base riled up and stop talking about backup QB plans, IMO. Irsay's tweets are almost like an admission that the current backups won't cut it and they have to start taking the possibility of Manning not starting more serious than before (my question is, why not do that even before pre-season started if the owner felt that way about the current backups). IF (I know that is a big IF) Manning does play the first few games, we will unfortunately have to settle for moral victories more than real victories, that is definitely close to the truth.

I'm sorry be we are not an 8-8/9-7 team without PM.

Every other QB in the league would get _KILLED_ with such little time to throw and play predictability since we can't run the ball. (Unless both have somehow drastically improved through the offseason)

The QB needs to literally be perfect in execution/timing with how little time to throw he has. (Since '08 or so) The QB doesn't have time for any plays to develop as if he doesn't quickly read what's in front and get rid of it, he's gonna eat the ground.

We have some good receivers and an outstanding TE in Clark, sure. Sadly when the O-line itself is an unholy mess they can only help so much.

Throw in an unreliable D which may or may not still be unable to stop the run and terrible special teams for good measure. (Sans Pat McAfee)

2 wins. Tops. (Again, assuming the pass protection, run blocking, defense, and special teams have not improved)

I doubt they haven't been planning for the worst case scenario. My guess is, they've been doing more behind the scenes than the worry-warts around here have been hypothesizing.

Besides, I have told a few that know me that if we struggle like 2008 out of the gate, we probably do not make the playoffs due to how our schedule is laid out later, we had the Bengals, Browns and Lions later in the 2008 season, not the case this time. Hmmm....we will see.

Why would the way we start the season have any affect on whether we could beat the teams at the end of the schedule? Besides, I'm not afraid of the Colts beating anyone in the NFL once Manning's playing. Furthermore, our schedule was rated like 8th, or something, in terms of difficulty. It's not a gauntlet any more than the other division winners.

Why? That would mean we win 12 games and make the playoffs. Even with that memory in mind, people would still freak out and swear the sky was falling, however.

I don't think he had any illusions of the sky falling :-), I know that poster's posting history well enough to say that. The whole premise of his statement is that Manning won't play!!! Maybe Irsay should stop tweeting to not get the fan base riled up and stop talking about backup QB plans, IMO. Irsay's tweets are almost like an admission that the current backups won't cut it and they have to start taking the possibility of Manning not starting more serious than before (my question is, why not do that even before pre-season started if the owner felt that way about the current backups). IF (I know that is a big IF) Manning does play the first few games, we will unfortunately have to settle for moral victories more than real victories, that is definitely close to the truth.

Irsay is just being prepared by weighing all options. That's what good owners and GM's do. We all run around like headless chickens, screaming about the need to do A or B; I promise you, the front office thought of everything long before we started making ridiculous threads about it.

Why would the way we start the season have any affect on whether we could beat the teams at the end of the schedule? Besides, I'm not afraid of the Colts beating anyone in the NFL once Manning's playing. Furthermore, our schedule was rated like 8th, or something, in terms of difficulty. It's not a gauntlet any more than the other division winners.

Because the room for error at the end goes down with really good teams at the end of our schedule if we have a slow start. We would have to expect Manning to be Superman again. Granted that he is capable of doing that but when we had teams like the Browns, Lions and Bengals at the end of the season in 2008, we could get away with winning a game 10-6 vs the Browns that year. If it was a better team that day, we lose, IMO. That room for error can make the difference between making the playoffs and not making it, that is what I was getting at.

IMO this is more of a sign that Painter just isn't getting it done than Peyton not being ready for the opener. With that being said does it really matter who we have at QB if Peyton cant go? Regardless I see that as a loss for sure. Also I could see the Colts (Most conservative team in the league) holding Peyton out against a blitz happy 3-4 scheme that Wade Phillips runs. IF Peyton plays you know the texans will be coming for his head... well neck ;)

What are you talking about???? if the starters played that full game they would dominate those teams, bradford was barely able to drive on the colts that was helped by a pic and him playiing against backups, the redskins game all the starters werent playing. I would hate for you to be in my regiment dude you sound like an absolute downer.

Are you a doctor? Do you have a crystal ball that tells you Manning is going to play? Because if you do please tell me where to go buy one. Wanting him to play is one thing but declaring hes going to play means youre a doctor. Manning needs time to rehab, I want him to play and play effectively. If that means him sitting out week one or two so be it. The season wont be lost if he comes back fully healthy.

Manning can play Brady ball until he is fully healed. 10 yard passes, all day long.

Unfortunately our line can't form a decent screen play. Having no run game makes us one dimensional as is.

If all we try to do is dink and dunk and can't score when it counts I don't see the defense bailing us out of 18+ point games.