Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gores future

TheOptimist88

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Frank Gore still has similar skills to what he had last year, he is quite possibly the best RB the Colts have. The fact that he did get 1000 yards behind what for most of the season was a mishmash of an O-line with so many rookies, should tell us that he still has something left. His work ethic inspires others and veteran leadership is valuable. He should get his shot at it.

9 minutes ago, bleevit said:

If Frank Gore still has similar skills to what he had last year, he is quite possibly the best RB the Colts have. The fact that he did get 1000 yards behind what for most of the season was a mishmash of an O-line with so many rookies, should tell us that he still has something left. His work ethic inspires others and veteran leadership is valuable. He should get his shot at it.

I disagree. If Mack performs good against the 1s he easily the best back we have in the running department and looks like a good receiver to. The only thing gore may have over him is blocking and experience

1 hour ago, TheOptimist88 said:

He was the least elusive back in the NFL last year and broke the least tackles despite how many carries he had. 

The fact that gore was able to reach 1000yds with the more often than not abysmal running lanes he got says alot more than him than his stats show... Gore can still evade would be tacklers as well as most of the starting backs in the NFL, if he's out in the open I'm pretty sure most defenders would be hard pressed to make that tackle. 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I disagree. If Mack performs good against the 1s he easily the best back we have in the running department and looks like a good receiver to. The only thing gore may have over him is blocking and experience

I have absolutely no problem giving a potentially exciting runner a shot at whatever he can handle. I'm just not willing to can a man of Frank Gore's quality over 3 runs in the preseason. Mack may well be the lead back by some point in the season, but to throw him into that fire based on so little a sample is dangerous to the team's success. Just sayin'.

27 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You cannot discredit those last two things at all.  Blocking and Experience are extremely important and Gore is by far the best we have.  Mack, HOPEFULLY learns and becomes a stud complete back, but lets slow down with claiming Turbin and he can take every carry to cut Gore.  I want Mack to be our future back but 5 carries in doesn't mean you cut the starter and best COMPLETE back we have.

To truth of the matter is, Gore went to Indy to contend for a Ring, and not a Divisional Champ banner. As much as I support his decision to go to Indy, I hope he gets closer to his reasons for going to Indy sooner rather than later. 

Gore from the 305 who went to Coral Gables was one of the best RB in FLA history while in high school. Surviving two (I believe knee) injuries while playing for The - U. I hope he gets his wishes with the Colts.

1 hour ago, TheOptimist88 said:

You can pick up a back in Free Agency as well. I'm not saying start Mack I'm saying move on from a player who's 34 and go younger and have a committee approach. Turbin can pass block as well so you're not handicapping yourself by cutting Gore who want be with the team past 2018 anyway. It's a new era and that should mean new players, not keep a guy because the team has a terrible eye for running back talent. 

We are getting younger. We drafted Mack in the 4th and our 4th RB will be a young guy. The staff has already said publicly the RB position is going to take more of a committee approach this season. If Mack keeps running like he did vs Dallas he will get even more carries. Turnin is getting more than just short yardage  That's been established 

Here is the problem with cutting Gore now. We cut Gore and sign a FA after cuts. That leaves us with Turbin Mack Signing Pope as our 4 RB's. Then on the first play vs the Rams Turbin goes down. How are we looking now? We are looking for a veteran RB off the scrap pile. That's how we are looking.  

You will get no arguement from me the last guy didn't have a good eye for RB's or LB's CB's etc. You don't cut a guy just because. We aren't upgrading Gore after cuts. That's the goal not the youngest or most likely to be here in 2018, best spoken or whatever non sense I read. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

We are getting younger. We drafted Mack in the 4th and our 4th RB will be a young guy. The staff has already said publicly the RB position is going to take more of a committee approach this season. If Mack keeps running like he did vs Dallas he will get even more carries. Turnin is getting more than just short yardage  That's been established 

Here is the problem with cutting Gore now. We cut Gore and sign a FA after cuts. That leaves us with Turbin Mack Signing Pope as our 4 RB's. Then on the first play vs the Rams Turbin goes down. How are we looking now? We are looking for a veteran RB off the scrap pile. That's how we are looking.  

You will get no arguement from me the last guy didn't have a good eye for RB's or LB's CB's etc. You don't cut a guy just because. We aren't upgrading Gore after cuts. That's the goal not the youngest or most likely to be here in 2018, best spoken or whatever non sense I read. 

You make an intelligent trade if Turbin gets injured. You don't trade a first round pick for a running back. But you move a later round asset. Cincinnati's Jeremy Hill would be a good target for our committee, Jeremy Langford from Chicago, Alfred Morris from Dallas. There are players more talented currently available. Honestly Gore had the potential to be a 12-1300 yard back last year, he left a lot on the field. Not to mention the game starts slower when we start with him. 

Mack was impressive in his debut but let's look at his history with the Colts.

1st Preseason game - Missed because he was injured

2nd Preseason game - Played until he got injured.

I don't think it's time to anoint Mack the starter and and say he deserves the bulk of the carries.

Gore put up over 1000 yards and nearly 4.0 ypc last year on an offense that has a poor run blocking scheme and a predictable patter of running plays.  It would be a mistake to give up on him this year.  Keep his carries around the 200-250 for the year and he will be effective.

2 hours ago, Smitto said:

The fact that gore was able to reach 1000yds with the more often than not abysmal running lanes he got says alot more than him than his stats show... Gore can still evade would be tacklers as well as most of the starting backs in the NFL, if he's out in the open I'm pretty sure most defenders would be hard pressed to make that tackle. 

Actually the running lanes were fine he just has no burst, moves, and he isn't running people over anymore. And he was below every starting running back and some backups in elusiveness and tackles broken. It's a sad reality that was the most overrated 1,000 yard season in history. 

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mack was impressive in his debut but let's look at his history with the Colts.

1st Preseason game - Missed because he was injured

2nd Preseason game - Played until he got injured.

I don't think it's time to anoint Mack the starter and and say he deserves the bulk of the carries.

Gore put up over 1000 yards and nearly 4.0 ypc last year on an offense that has a poor run blocking scheme and a predictable patter of running plays.  It would be a mistake to give up on him this year.  Keep his carries around the 200-250 for the year and he will be effective.

Mack wasn't injured he got subbed for Turbin in the 2 minute drill and was back on the field in the 3rd to make the 23 yard run. Pope came in the game next didn't get any attempts but had a couple of catches. Keeping his touches around 200-250 would severely handicap our offense again. 

I'm of the unpopular opinion that Gore should have been cut at the start of the offseason.  At this point, with most of the player acquisitions done and the regular season just a few weeks away, I suppose it doesn't make a big difference.  The advantages to the team aren't as significant if he is cut now compared to if he were cut at the start of the offseason

It's not an unpopular opinion. We need to know what we have in Mack before next years draft. Gore playing does nothing for the Colts long term. We need to stop suppressing these young guys in favor of old, past their prime players.

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Nope Gore was at 3.9 ypc last season. That’s not 4 at a time.

wow, pedantic much?

23 minutes ago, TheOptimist88 said:

Actually the running lanes were fine he just has no burst, moves, and he isn't running people over anymore. And he was below every starting running back and some backups in elusiveness and tackles broken. It's a sad reality that was the most overrated 1,000 yard season in history. 

none of that is true.

Just now, TheOptimist88 said:

Sadly it is. Gore only had 1 rush of 20 yards or over the entire season. 200+ snaps and 1 run over 20 yards. That's pathetic. I don't care who you are.

having 1 rush of over 20 yards has nothing to do with your previous post..which is still untrue

Sadly it is. Gore only had 1 rush of 20 yards or over the entire season. 200+ snaps and 1 run over 20 yards. That's pathetic. I don't care who you are.

having 1 rush of over 20 yards has nothing to do with your previous post..which is still untrue

Proves he has no burst. And you haven't proved my previous statement false you just said it was. I can bring the numbers

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd like to see it happen, but I don't think it will.  I think Gore really regrets his time in Indy.  Came to win a championship and didn't even make the playoffs.

Well in all fairness, he was part of the failed "win now" experiment. Sure he eeked out 1,000 yards last year, and almost hit 1,000 the year before, but the Colts were not a better football team with Frank Gore on the roster. I'm not going to undersell his veteran leadership or work ethic, because in those 2 areas, no one comes close, but I don't feel like 8 wins in either of the past 2 seasons was unachievable without him.

Just now, TheOptimist88 said:

Mack wasn't injured he got subbed for Turbin in the 2 minute drill and was back on the field in the 3rd to make the 23 yard run. Pope came in the game next didn't get any attempts but had a couple of catches. Keeping his touches around 200-250 would severely handicap our offense again. 

I thought I read that he hurt his ankle in the third but maybe not, I will try to find the article when I have time. 

And no it wouldn't.

I thought I read that he hurt his ankle in the third but maybe not, I will try to find the article when I have time. 

And no it wouldn't.

12th in rushing yards not even on the list for rushing TD's and 7th most carries in the league last year. We handicap ourselves with Gore out there you'll see the difference tomorrow

24 minutes ago, TheOptimist88 said:

Proves he has no burst. And you haven't proved my previous statement false you just said it was. I can bring the numbers

Numbers rarely tell the whole story.  The numbers will not give any indication as to how good Gore's blocking was, how competent was the playcalling, is he only getting the ball in short yardage situations etc etc.  

I actually watched all of the games and having done so, I can tell you that your comments about him are wrong.  And the ability to rip off 20 yard runs has more to do with downfield blocking and top speed than a player's burst.  Burst refers to his ability to get out of a tight space quickly.  It would help if you knew what these terms meant before you started throwing them around. :)

Numbers rarely tell the whole story.  The numbers will not give any indication as to how good Gore's blocking was, how competent was the playcalling, is he only getting the ball in short yardage situations etc etc.  

I actually watched all of the games and having done so, I can tell you that your comments about him are wrong.  And the ability to rip off 20 yard runs has more to do with downfield blocking and top speed than a player's burst.  Burst refers to his ability to get out of a tight space quickly.  It would help if you knew what these terms meant before you started throwing them around. [emoji4]

Starting with the blocking comment I never said he wasn't a good blocker I picked out 3 things he doesn't have anymore which is burst, breaking tackles, and elusiveness. You said those statements were false but you haven't proved anything contradicting my statements because it's true. Gore can still get skinny and get through a hole but he isn't bursting through it for a gain over 20 he had 260+ carries(hence my burst remark)He can't effectively get from the 2nd level to the third level of the defense anymore. Downfield blocking is somewhat of an issue but he hasn't made consistent moves in space to make defenders miss. The line created over 51% of our rushing yards before contact which is evident in all the tape they have on Gore. If he still had his speed we'd be having a different conversation. Now on to play calling there were games Chudzinski went away from Gore mostly because we were down and had to pass the ball but that doesn't take away from what he currently lacks. Successful running backs in this era have to have speed. Look at David Johnson, Le'veon Bell, Jay Ajayi, Demarco Murray, Lesean McCoy, and even Ezekiel Elliot. They're all physical, finesse, with good vision, and speed. Gore only has the vision and physicality which would've been great in the 2000's not so much now.

2 minutes ago, TheOptimist88 said:

Starting with the blocking comment I never said he wasn't a good blocker I picked out 3 things he doesn't have anymore which is burst, breaking tackles, and elusiveness. You said those statements were false but you haven't proved anything contradicting my statements because it's true. Gore can still get skinny and get through a hole but he isn't bursting through it for a gain over 20 he had 260+ carries(hence my burst remark)He can't effectively get from the 2nd level to the third level of the defense anymore. Downfield blocking is somewhat of an issue but he hasn't made consistent moves in space to make defenders miss. The line created over 51% of our rushing yards before contact which is evident in all the tape they have on Gore. If he still had his speed we'd be having a different conversation. Now on to play calling there were games Chudzinski went away from Gore mostly because we were down and had to pass the ball but that doesn't take away from what he currently lacks. Successful running backs in this era have to have speed. Look at David Johnson, Le'veon Bell, Jay Ajayi, Demarco Murray, Lesean McCoy, and even Ezekiel Elliot. They're all physical, finesse, with good vision, and speed. Gore only has the vision and physicality which would've been great in the 2000's not so much now.

I was referring to the blocking he had in front of him on run plays, not his ability as a pass blocker.  And again, burst refers more to his ability to get through the hole, NOT his ability to break a run off for 20+ yards.  Burst refers to short area quickness.  To bust off runs of 20+ yards, you either need to have great top end speed (which Gore has never had) or great downfield blocking (which Gore did have some in SF but not nearly as much here in Indy).  

I was referring to the blocking he had in front of him on run plays, not his ability as a pass blocker.  And again, burst refers more to his ability to get through the hole, NOT his ability to break a run off for 20+ yards.  Burst refers to short area quickness.  To bust off runs of 20+ yards, you either need to have great top end speed (which Gore has never had) or great downfield blocking (which Gore did have some in SF but not nearly as much here in Indy).  

If you burst through a hole do you not try to reach your top end speed especially if you're already at the second level of the defense? Burst through the hole is what Mack showed on 3 of his first 5 runs. We'll see what he can do against a 1st team defense tomorrow and we'll see how we all feel about Franks future. It's all hinged on Macks ability to pass protect. He has the physicality for it just needs the knowledge.

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Gore squeezes out yards that aren't really there. 

He's an amazing blocker and still has the vision. 

Plus Frank Gore is a leader. Which we need as much as we can get.

Let Mack soak up all he can from one of the greatest RB's of all time. 

i concur

9 minutes ago, TheOptimist88 said:

If you burst through a hole do you not try to reach your top end speed especially if you're already at the second level of the defense? Burst through the hole is what Mack showed on 3 of his first 5 runs. We'll see what he can do against a 1st team defense tomorrow and we'll see how we all feel about Franks future. It's all hinged on Macks ability to pass protect. He has the physicality for it just needs the knowledge.

and if he doesn't impress tomorrow, what are you gonna say then?

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

You cannot discredit those last two things at all.  Blocking and Experience are extremely important and Gore is by far the best we have.  Mack, HOPEFULLY learns and becomes a stud complete back, but lets slow down with claiming Turbin and he can take every carry to cut Gore.  I want Mack to be our future back but 5 carries in doesn't mean you cut the starter and best COMPLETE back we have.

Wasnt saying cut gore but if mack averages more yards a carry running against the 1s Pagano shouldnt hesitate to give him more carries

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

and if he doesn't impress tomorrow, what are you gonna say then?

If he doesnt impress tomorrow and luck doesnt play the first few games of the season we are screwed. We need Mack to be that david johnson jamaal charles type back because tolzien can't carry the team

4 hours ago, bleevit said:

I have absolutely no problem giving a potentially exciting runner a shot at whatever he can handle. I'm just not willing to can a man of Frank Gore's quality over 3 runs in the preseason. Mack may well be the lead back by some point in the season, but to throw him into that fire based on so little a sample is dangerous to the team's success. Just sayin'.

Thats why you keep gore around. If mack fails to impress you fall back on gore and turbin and draft new back next year

Gore is still a go-to leader and running back...until he demonstrates otherwise.  Mack is a rookie who will greatly benefit from his presence. Is Frank Gore now trash to be discarded because some believe he has lost his "burst?"  A transition is most assuredly coming at the position.  The GM, coaches and probably the owner, will decide when and who.  Stop arguing. 

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If he doesnt impress tomorrow and luck doesnt play the first few games of the season we are screwed. We need Mack to be that david johnson jamaal charles type back because tolzien can't carry the team

without Luck, we're screwed even if we had Emmit Smith in his prime

4 hours ago, TheOptimist88 said:

What? The man is one of the best RBs when it comes to vision and you're implying the running lanes were fine but he just couldn't find it? The Colts have tried to have a run heavy scheme compared to the past with an offensive line that isn't very good at run blocking... So him actually getting 1000yds is a pretty big deal. Especially when a team that wants to establish a running game cant even if they try to but lack of consistency on the Oline is preventing that. 

Hard to break tackles when you're getting hit as soon as you get given the ball behind the line of scrimmage.