Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans sign Decker

crazycolt1

I'm not sure what to makes of this. He's a decent WR who signed with Tennessee. Is he alone going to be the missing piece that helps Marcus go to a SB? Highly unlikely. 

Decker will give their QB another experienced target. A solid move on an AFC South's rival squad sure, but I still don't see the Titans winning the division personally. 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm not sure what to makes of this. He's a decent WR who signed with Tennessee. Is he alone going to be the missing piece that helps Marcus go to a SB? Highly unlikely. 

Decker will give their QB another experienced target. A solid move on an AFC South's rival squad sure, but I still don't see the Titans winning the division personally. 

It's a tough pick as to who will win the division.   Decker will certainly help the Titans.   They have been improving each year and may be breaking out this year.   The AFC South  should be out of the conversation for worst in the league this year.   I see the Titans winning 10.   Houston winning 10.   The Colts winning 9 and the Jags winning 5.  The division is up for grabs.  

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I don't think anyone thinks he is the final piece who would put Marcus in the super bowl.

Decker is one of the best possession receivers in the league as long as he is healthy.

He is very hard to cover by pretty much any defense in the league.

The final piece? No but one piece that makes the Titans better.

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

They are the biggest threat this year to the colts Texans are going to fall a bit  and the jags I'm just not buying the hype.

There are some on Sirius XM NFL Radio network stating the Titans could be the 3rd best team in the AFC, behind New England and the Steelers, just ahead of the Raiders. Others have KC @ #4.  But Titans and Jags are going smahmouth run. Our run D better get stout this year.  Jax won't win with Bortles throwing more than 20-25 times a game, and I think they know this now and have Fournette and Ivory in a power run scheme. They are as punishing a duo as Murray and Henry of the Titans. 

Texans have won the Division 4 out of last 6 years, and are only a QB away from really making winning the D tough.  And, as good as the Titans are, they are 1 win and 15 losses vs. the Colts in last 16 games played between them...

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think anyone thinks he is the final piece who would put Marcus in the super bowl.

Decker is one of the best possession receivers in the league as long as he is healthy.

He is very hard to cover by pretty much any defense in the league.

The final piece? No but one piece that makes the Titans better.

I agree that Decker makes the Titans instantly better, but I still hold it against Eric that he was nowhere to be found during the 2013 SB against the Legion Of Boom as a member of the Denver Broncos. 

I lost considerable respect for him in that game. Peyton Manning needed him & he was incognito apparently. Fast forward to the Jets. Did Decker make his presence known when Gang Green struggled? Nope. Therefore, Decker doesn't scare me when games get tight & plays must be made late in the yr. 

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They are the biggest threat this year to the colts Texans are going to fall a bit  and the jags I'm just not buying the hype.

I respectfully disagree J834. The Texans will be our only foe in the AFC South that poses a threat to us. Clowney is coming into his own, JJ Watt will bounce back, & that D under Romeo is lethal. 

Marcus hasn't done enough to be viewed as a threat yet. Is that team loaded with talent? Absolutely. Can they deliver in crunch time? Not enough tape on the Titans offense to justify that reality yet. 

Jags...Coughlin being in Florida again scares me. I won't lie. Blake Bortles is the question mark. He's shown flashes...of making superb throws in garbage time. 

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I agree that Decker makes the Titans instantly better, but I still hold it against Eric that he was nowhere to be found during the 2013 SB against the Legion Of Boom as a member of the Denver Broncos. 

I lost considerable respect for him in that game. Peyton Manning needed him & he was incognito apparently. Fast forward to the Jets. Did Decker make his presence known when Gang Green struggled? Nope. Therefore, Decker doesn't scare me when games get tight & plays must be made late in the yr. 

I agree. For a guy who is smaller than Decker, Emmanuel Sanders shows more fight in him reminding me of the saying "it is not the size of the dog but the size of the fight in the dog". Decker begs for flags instead of fighting through and playing a lot of times when the going gets tough. As long as we don't play off him and play press against him, we can evoke those tendencies and capitalize. :) 

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I respectfully disagree J834. The Texans will be our only foe in the AFC South that poses a threat to us. Clowney is coming into his own, JJ Watt will bounce back, & that D under Romeo is lethal. 

Marcus hasn't done enough to be viewed as a threat yet. Is that team loaded with talent? Absolutely. Can they deliver in crunch time? Not enough tape on the Titans offense to justify that reality yet. 

Jags...Coughlin being in Florida again scares me. I won't lie. Blake Bortles is the question mark. He's shown flashes...of making superb throws in garbage time. 

That D also lost quite a bit too so I will agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I agree. For a guy who is smaller than Decker, Emmanuel Sanders shows more fight in him reminding me of the saying "it is not the size of the dog but the size of the fight in the dog". Decker begs for flags instead of fighting through and playing a lot of times when the going gets tough. As long as we don't play off him and play press against him, we can evoke those tendencies and capitalize. :) 

Beautifully stated Chad. I agree 100%

Decker does whine a lot playing the refs for flags. Okay yes, all NFL WRs manipulate the refs to the best of their abilities to some degree. That is true. But, you're exactly right when you talk about Sanders & the dog fight inside of him. 

Decker just doesn't scare me like Antonio Brown does or Larry Fitzgerald does for example. 

6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That D also lost quite a bit too so I will agree to disagree.

You could be right about Tennessee. It's just that the Titans haven't been a legitimate threat to INDY since Steve McNair or Vince Young for 1 yr in 2006. 

I need evidence 1st like say a division title. Then we can talk about their standing moving forward not before. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Texans have won the Division 4 out of last 6 years, and are only a QB away from really making winning the D tough.  And, as good as the Titans are, they are 1 win and 15 losses vs. the Colts in last 16 games played between them...

Exactly right CBFL. Nothing to add other then this: If QB Deshaun Watson is truly the Texans face of the franchise, Chewbacca & the fellas have their work cut out for them in the next few seasons like Hemingway running with the bulls in Spain. Try not to get trampled. INDY can hold our own though. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I guess Manning not finding him made no difference either?

And yes, Decker did play good on a bad Jets team till he got injured. I know, I had him on my fantasy team so I know what his numbers were.

You may disregard  Decker's talent but he has been one of the best possession receivers In the league for a very long time.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess Manning not finding him made no difference either?

And yes, Decker did play good on a bad Jets team till he got injured. I know, I had him on my fantasy team so I know what his numbers were.

You may disregard  Decker's talent but he has been one of the best possession receivers In the league for a very long time.

When elite QBs are struggling, that's when you find out the toughness, resiliency, & determination of the WRs on your roster CC1. 

I did say that Decker's presence on his new squad makes the Titans instantly better. So, athletic talent is clearly there. I just had reservations about his will or drive to get open in clutch moments that's all. 

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You could be right about Tennessee. It's just that the Titans haven't been a legitimate threat to INDY since Steve McNair or Vince Young for 1 yr in 2006. 

I need evidence 1st like say a division title. Then we can talk about their standing moving forward not before. 

Well maybe I guess I can agree with you there the one thing I disagree with was Mariota being ranked ahead of Luck on the top 100 that was a joke considering Mariota hasn't even beat luck yet.

20 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well maybe I guess I can agree with you there the one thing I disagree with was Mariota being ranked ahead of Luck on the top 100 that was a joke considering Mariota hasn't even beat luck yet.

So the Titans haven't beaten the Colts since Mariota was drafted.  What does that have to do with ranking Mariota as having had a better season in 2016 than Luck?

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

What does that have to do with ranking Mariota as having had a better season in 2016 than Luck?

did he though?

MM- 61% , 3426 yards, 26 td, 9 int 95.6 rating

AL- 63.5%, 4240 yards, 31 TD, 13 int,  96.4 rating

are the voters rewarding MM for having a better defense, running game and (slightly better) team record than luck?  i think they are

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

did he though?

are the voters rewarding MM for having a better defense, running game and (slightly better) team record than luck?  i think they are

Which is typical.   

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

When elite QBs are struggling, that's when you find out the toughness, resiliency, & determination of the WRs on your roster CC1. 

I did say that Decker's presence on his new squad makes the Titans instantly better. So, athletic talent is clearly there. I just had reservations about his will or drive to get open in clutch moments that's all. 

There were quite a few QBs and receivers who were struggling against the Seahawks in that season. They had the best defense in the league that season.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

did he though?

I don't care either way to be honest.  It's all subjective.  My point though was...why would head to head record between those 2 players come into the equation at all?

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There were quite a few QBs and receivers who were struggling against the Seahawks in that season. They had the best defense in the league that season.

While that is definitely true that the Seahawks defense was formidable back in 2013 CC1, it really doesn't matter how many other teams struggle against Seattle collectively. Decker played well all yr except in that game or SB. I realize that athletes aren't machines, but the interaction I was having with Chad72 drove home the point that Eric collapsed when Peyton Manning needed him the most.  Yes, I realize that 18 was under fire a lot courtesy of Kam Chancellor & Richard Sherman. However, top tier WRs find ways to get back to your franchise QB when things are not going well on the field. 

Is it a crime that Decker underperformed in that SB? No, but elite WRs show up when an offense's wheels fall off. 

14 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

While that is definitely true that the Seahawks defense was formidable back in 2013 CC1, it really doesn't matter how many other teams struggle against Seattle collectively. Decker played well all yr except in that game or SB. I realize that athletes aren't machines, but the interaction I was having with Chad72 drove home the point that Eric collapsed when Peyton Manning needed him the most.  Yes, I realize that 18 was under fire a lot courtesy of Kam Chancellor & Richard Sherman. However, top tier WRs find ways to get back to your franchise QB when things are not going well on the field. 

Is it a crime that Decker underperformed in that SB? No, but elite WRs show up when an offense's wheels fall off. 

Plus, the fact that Chancellor was more concerned with Wes Welker or Julius Thomas underneath knowing the Seahawks pressure won't let #18 go deep, and they played single high safety most of the time with safety help leaning more towards Demaryius Thomas. Eric Decker was 1-on-1 most of the time with Byron Maxwell, that is why I felt Decker could have fought the press a bit more and gotten open. But then, it was like men vs boys, the Seahawks vs Broncos, that is how it felt, a school yard beat down. :) 

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Plus, the fact that Chancellor was more concerned with Wes Welker or Julius Thomas underneath knowing the Seahawks pressure won't let #18 go deep, and they played single high safety most of the time with safety help leaning more towards Demaryius Thomas. Eric Decker was 1-on-1 most of the time with Byron Maxwell, that is why I felt Decker could have fought the press a bit more and gotten open. But then, it was like men vs boys, the Seahawks vs Broncos, that is how it felt, a school yard beat down. :) 

You can sure say that again. I knew Seattle's defense knew how to wrap up TEs, WRs, & hassle QBs all game long. I just didn't realize that the Hawks could lay day the lumber with such force until that night. I knew RW was legit, but I have to remind myself that the Pacific NW team wasn't known as the force of nature they became with the "Legion Of Boom" yet. Outside of Seattle fans, coaches, & players, Pete Carrol's squad--how good they were--caught everybody but Jim Harbaugh by surprise since both Jim & Pete faced each other in college as head coaches back in the day. 

I'm still disappointed in Decker & that humiliating Broncos SB loss. I know I need to let this go, but it's hard. I can accept any loss as long as you put up a valiant dog fight.

Tragically, that never materialized. Yeah, I know Seattle was a buzzsaw that yr but still...Watching that SB was like standing in line to view the casket at a funeral. Sigh...No, I'm not blaming #18 BTW. 

On June 19, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Myles said:

The Colts winning 9 and the Jags winning 5.  The division is up for grabs.  

I usually just go with 10-6 as a reflex since that's what the Colts record usually is. 

The Jags always have this pattern of big spending on free agents every yr & only winning 5 or 6 games. 

I can never figure that out Shahid Khan spends all this money to improve & the Jags still flounder like clockwork.

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Except he really didn't.

Ok, again, I don't care.  Point is that head to head record Luck vs. Mariota is not going to come into play here...nor should it because there is no such thing.  There's a record for the Colts vs. Titans but Luck vs. Mariota does not exist.  That would be a really stupid way to measure the top 100 players

34 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I usually just go with 10-6 as a reflex since that's what the Colts record usually is. 

The Jags always have this pattern of big spending on free agents every yr & only winning 5 or 6 games. 

I can never figure that out Shahid Khan spends all this money to improve & the Jags still flounder like clockwork.

They had / have the parts.  What they didn't have- Winning Know How.  Now they do... Tom Coughlin.  Period.

35 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They had / have the parts.  What they didn't have- Winning Know How.  Now they do... Tom Coughlin.  Period.

I agree CBFL. Coughlin could be the missing piece for the Jags not once, but twice. 

My only reservation is this: Being a HC & being a VP of Football Operations requires a transition period & sometimes that transition never comes to fruition completely. Tom could probably pull this off, but nobody knows for sure.  

16 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I can name many elite WR's who didn't show up in one or more key games. Including our very own Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne ... or T.Y. Hilton.

Decker is a solid - and versatile - receiver, who has proven he is not a Manning product. He can play outside, he can play from the slot, he is an _excellent_ route runner, and he has better hands than many true #1 receivers in this league. And he is a threat in the red zone as well. The Titans got a lot better in their passing game with him.

All being said, if I was a Titans fan, I wasn't too extatic about this move. Not because Decker is not good, but because he will take valuable snaps from their promising young receivers. Matthews is a lock at one starting spot, Decker will take another spot, and their #5 draft acquisiton Corey Davis will surely demand the 3rd spot (in whatever formation they will show up). Unless injury happens, these 3 are full workload guys, they will demand not just the majority of snaps, but leave very little to take. Decker won't be around in long term - he's probably a 1 year solution -, so they soon need either Sharpe or Taylor to step up. Relegating them to special team duties, and 1-2 snaps a game is not the best way to develop youngsters. We have seen it in Dorsett.

The Titans is an up and coming team, but not a candidate in 2017, so if I was a Titan, i preferred the long term approach letting the young guys develop.

On 6/21/2017 at 0:20 PM, Peterk2011 said:

I can name many elite WR's who didn't show up in one or more key games. Including our very own Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne ... or T.Y. Hilton.

Decker is a solid - and versatile - receiver, who has proven he is not a Manning product. He can play outside, he can play from the slot, he is an _excellent_ route runner, and he has better hands than many true #1 receivers in this league. And he is a threat in the red zone as well. The Titans got a lot better in their passing game with him.

All being said, if I was a Titans fan, I wasn't too extatic about this move. Not because Decker is not good, but because he will take valuable snaps from their promising young receivers. Matthews is a lock at one starting spot, Decker will take another spot, and their #5 draft acquisiton Corey Davis will surely demand the 3rd spot (in whatever formation they will show up). Unless injury happens, these 3 are full workload guys, they will demand not just the majority of snaps, but leave very little to take. Decker won't be around in long term - he's probably a 1 year solution -, so they soon need either Sharpe or Taylor to step up. Relegating them to special team duties, and 1-2 snaps a game is not the best way to develop youngsters. We have seen it in Dorsett.

The Titans is an up and coming team, but not a candidate in 2017, so if I was a Titan, i preferred the long term approach letting the young guys develop.

I'm not so sure that the Titans can't be contenders this season.  They won 9 games last year.   Mariotta should be better this season.   They are pretty good all around.   Decker has the work ethic that could really help those young WR's they have.  

On 2017. 06. 22. at 8:30 PM, Myles said:

I'm not so sure that the Titans can't be contenders this season.  They won 9 games last year.   Mariotta should be better this season.   They are pretty good all around.   Decker has the work ethic that could really help those young WR's they have.  

I can see their offense making a leap. Maybe even be almost as good as the Steelers, the Patriots or the Raiders offenses are. But defensively? No. They are much like the Colts, defensively they are behind. Defenses don't improve from one season to next season unless the talent is already there, and they only need time to gel. The Titans defense is not talented enough (yet?) to make that leap. Actually, I think this new, overhauled Colts defense might have more long term potential in them than the Titans. They have the cap space and a s*tload of draft picks to improve dramatically in the next few years though.