Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the 2016 MVP?

19colt

Who is the MVP?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 2016 MVP?

As per poll.

Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers are clear front runners IMO but both need to make the playoffs to solidify themselves ahead of Brady and Stafford. Ryan quietly has by far the best numbers on a winning team (higher yards/TD's per game than Brady, higher PR, higher completion %). Both Atlanta and Green Bay are 2-3 win teams with their backup QB's. Ditto for Stafford but the Lions may finish with 3 straight losses. I am sure the national media will find a way to justify Brady as the MVP but they are a playoff team without him and it should take the above 3 guys falling in the next two weeks to hand him the trophy.  

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I am saying Derek Carr.  I think Tom Brady should be off the list(not because I can't stand him but because he's played 4 less games).  You can argue Ryan, Prescott, Elliot or Stafford as well.  All are having great years. 

I think brady should be off the list cause his team was fine without him for 4 weeks and literally won with a nobody.

Redskins lose to the Giants in their final game to go 9-6-1 and the Packers go 10-6 for the #6 seed, it will be Aaron Rodgers, IMO. 

Matt Ryan, I cannot disagree with his numbers either, off the charts. However, they may be inflated by playing teams like the Rams, 49ers, entire NFC South twice. It is not his fault though, you play the ones on your schedule. I have to lean towards Matt Ryan on that front.

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Redskins lose to the Giants in their final game to go 9-6-1 and the Packers go 10-6 for the #6 seed, it will be Aaron Rodgers, IMO. 

Matt Ryan, I cannot disagree with his numbers either, off the charts. However, they may be inflated by playing teams like the Rams, 49ers, entire NFC South twice. It is not his fault though, you play the ones on your schedule. I have to lean towards Matt Ryan on that front.

C0BKS9sXEAQYZ3z.jpg

It should be an interesting two weeks to see who wins the MVP, there are pros and cons for basically each candidate.  It does not appear to be the kind of year where one player has gotten so far ahead that he was a clear front runner by week 12 or something.  Here are some of my rough thoughts.

Short Answer:  If the Pats go 2-0 and thus get HFA and Brady plays solid in the last two games, he will be 11-1, as many wins as basically any other team in the NFL, with at or near top per game averages in QBs stats he would be my winner unless Elliot goes mad for Dallas.  If Pats loose a game, Brady does not play well, or is not needed week 17, then I see Elliot getting the love.  I would put Ryan third, sorry but its tough not to look past only 9 wins to date and at times Ryan can cost his team wins.  Fourth and thereafter is any number of players, and i think there is too much traffic ahead of the fourth placed folks to close the gap with 2 games to play. 

Long answer: If folks want to see some of my thoughts. 

Tom Brady (9 wins) : Brady has played at an MVP level pretty much the entire season.  He has played a few teams that are near the bottom of the NFL, but in the last two weeks helped the Pats beat two of the best defenses in the league.  If Brady plays in the next two games and wins both, he will be 11-1 for the year and with 11 wins under his belt, along with stats near the top (per game) in most categories, he makes a strong candidate.  And depending what happens with the other candidates I would take Brady, his 11 wins, near or at tops stats and the # 1 seed in the AFC.   His only blemish is against Seattle where he had the team at the 2 yard line to tie the game, Pats took a powder on one play to burn clock, Brady muffed a snap, but he did help them come very close in the only blemish on his record. 

True the Pats went 3-1 without Brady, but can we really fault Brady for having a potential first round type talent on the bench (Jimmy G. was chosen in the 2nd round).  Also, as with a small sample size we need to look at the games.  If AZ makes a medium range FG we loose that game and are 2-2 and thus a "0.500" team without Brady, we got shut out a home for the first time since 1993 and needed two ST kickoff fumbles to help get past Houston.  So in my view we are just as likely a "0.750" without Brady as we are a "0.500" team, but i think we are somewhere in the middle.  We are though a 9-1 team with Brady with the 0-1 being a close game.

Yes Brady missed 4 game to suspension, but that does not concern me.  As i mentioned in another thread, Joe Montana and Elway won the MVP while missing 3 games and did not even get there teams to the tops in the league (and btw their backups went 2-1 in the games they missed).   And as the underlying crime never warranted a suspension i am not too worried about disqualifying him based on the suspension only. 

If the Pats secure HFA by this weekend and Brady only plays a partial game week 17, that will hurt his cause.

Ezekiel Elliot (12 wins) - Elliot has a good chance for the MVP.  He does have being a "rookie" against him and the fact that his Oline is a beast, I have seen many of his runs were his is not touched for like the first five yards.  Also, he is getting a lot of touches so he can garner more yards where other RBs/teams will split time between different runners.  This could be looked at both ways.  He gets more than his share and is behind a beast Oline but at the same time is smart enough to find holes and durable enough to be a 4 down back.  With Dallas at 12-2 and poised to get HFA, i can see Elliot being a strong candidate, even though running backs are not given enough love at times for the MVP

Dak Prescott (12 wins) - having a 2001 Bradiest type year, but has been middle of the road in the last few games.  Not so sure if he is really in the running anymore

Matt Ryan (9 wins) - Been having a great year and is in the MVP talk here and there though out his career and be nice if he got one.  Ryan has put up great stats this year and that is going in this favor.  But at the same time he can tend to make some bone head plays which cost his team wins.  Indeed, he has the same number of wins as Brady but has played in 4 more games.

D. Carr (11 wins)  Not in the tops in the league in stats but has helped the Raiders to their first playoff berth since 2002 and is in a tough division.  If Oak is able to get HFA i can see Carr getting some love and should get some love imo. 

A. Rodgers (9 wins)  Nice guy, can wing the ball around, but with only as many wins as Brady in 4 more games played and presently outside the playoffs, not sure if he can be considered unless there is a melt down of players above him in the MVP race, which i find unlikely. 

Le' Veon Bell (9 wins)   Great back for Pitt, but being nearly 400 yards behind Elliot, it is going to be tough for him to leap frog Elliot unless Dallas melts down. 

27 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

It should be an interesting two weeks to see who wins the MVP, there are pros and cons for basically each candidate.  It does not appear to be the kind of year where one player has gotten so far ahead that he was a clear front runner by week 12 or something.  Here are some of my rough thoughts.

Short Answer:  If the Pats go 2-0 and thus get HFA and Brady plays solid in the last two games, he will be 11-1, as many wins as basically any other team in the NFL, with at or near top per game averages in QBs stats he would be my winner unless Elliot goes mad for Dallas.  If Pats loose a game, Brady does not play well, or is not needed week 17, then I see Elliot getting the love.  I would put Ryan third, sorry but its tough not to look past only 9 wins to date and at times Ryan can cost his team wins.  Fourth and thereafter is any number of players, and i think there is too much traffic ahead of the fourth placed folks to close the gap with 2 games to play. 

Long answer: If folks want to see some of my thoughts. 

Tom Brady (9 wins) : Brady has played at an MVP level pretty much the entire season.  He has played a few teams that are near the bottom of the NFL, but in the last two weeks helped the Pats beat two of the best defenses in the league.  If Brady plays in the next two games and wins both, he will be 11-1 for the year and with 11 wins under his belt, along with stats near the top (per game) in most categories, he makes a strong candidate.  And depending what happens with the other candidates I would take Brady, his 11 wins, near or at tops stats and the # 1 seed in the AFC.   His only blemish is against Seattle where he had the team at the 2 yard line to tie the game, Pats took a powder on one play to burn clock, Brady muffed a snap, but he did help them come very close in the only blemish on his record. 

True the Pats went 3-1 without Brady, but can we really fault Brady for having a potential first round type talent on the bench (Jimmy G. was chosen in the 2nd round).  Also, as with a small sample size we need to look at the games.  If AZ makes a medium range FG we loose that game and are 2-2 and thus a "0.500" team without Brady, we got shut out a home for the first time since 1993 and needed two ST kickoff fumbles to help get past Houston.  So in my view we are just as likely a "0.750" without Brady as we are a "0.500" team, but i think we are somewhere in the middle.  We are though a 9-1 team with Brady with the 0-1 being a close game.

Yes Brady missed 4 game to suspension, but that does not concern me.  As i mentioned in another thread, Joe Montana and Elway won the MVP while missing 3 games and did not even get there teams to the tops in the league (and btw their backups went 2-1 in the games they missed).   And as the underlying crime never warranted a suspension i am not too worried about disqualifying him based on the suspension only. 

If the Pats secure HFA by this weekend and Brady only plays a partial game week 17, that will hurt his cause.

Ezekiel Elliot (12 wins) - Elliot has a good chance for the MVP.  He does have being a "rookie" against him and the fact that his Oline is a beast, I have seen many of his runs were his is not touched for like the first five yards.  Also, he is getting a lot of touches so he can garner more yards where other RBs/teams will split time between different runners.  This could be looked at both ways.  He gets more than his share and is behind a beast Oline but at the same time is smart enough to find holes and durable enough to be a 4 down back.  With Dallas at 12-2 and poised to get HFA, i can see Elliot being a strong candidate, even though running backs are not given enough love at times for the MVP

Dak Prescott (12 wins) - having a 2001 Bradiest type year, but has been middle of the road in the last few games.  Not so sure if he is really in the running anymore

Matt Ryan (9 wins) - Been having a great year and is in the MVP talk here and there though out his career and be nice if he got one.  Ryan has put up great stats this year and that is going in this favor.  But at the same time he can tend to make some bone head plays which cost his team wins.  Indeed, he has the same number of wins as Brady but has played in 4 more games.

D. Carr (11 wins)  Not in the tops in the league in stats but has helped the Raiders to their first playoff berth since 2002 and is in a tough division.  If Oak is able to get HFA i can see Carr getting some love and should get some love imo. 

A. Rodgers (9 wins)  Nice guy, can wing the ball around, but with only as many wins as Brady in 4 more games played and presently outside the playoffs, not sure if he can be considered unless there is a melt down of players above him in the MVP race, which i find unlikely. 

Le' Veon Bell (9 wins)   Great back for Pitt, but being nearly 400 yards behind Elliot, it is going to be tough for him to leap frog Elliot unless Dallas melts down. 

Bell has played less games and is still only 400 yards behind zeke if brady is allowed to win the bell damn well better be getting some love 

Good analysis Yehoodi. Where do you think support from the defense factors in for these candidates? As far as points allowed goes, we have New England #1st, Oakland #24th and I am not sure about Green Bay but it is pretty safe to say that team goes no where this year without Rodgers. There is also Stafford that has found a way to improve his team whilst losing Megatron. He could conceivably be the easy choice if he leads Detroit to two big wins in the next two weeks. The same could probably said for Rodgers as Green Bay and Detroit have a match up ahead to decide the division. 

Another thing is that Brady is sitting on 22 TD's. He would need 6 more TD's to tie McNair when he was MVP or be the lowest producing TD scoring QB since. With some potential rest coming up vs Miami he may not make it. I also have to wonder if Brady is getting so many props because of Deflategate and the perceived unfairness. If he sat out the first four weeks due to a sprained toe then would he be in the conversation?

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Bell has played less games and is still only 400 yards behind zeke if brady is allowed to win the bell damn well better be getting some love 

Opps, my bad,  sorry about that, I did not see that (and actually forgot that he was out the first three weeks).  I just took a quick at the stats on NFL.com tonight.  Thanks Colts_Fan12 for the correction.

Now with said it does change things some.  Elliot imo has a better line so that is going against him.  Bell has been solid with the Steelers and has helped them to 7 wins in 11 games so 7-4.  Bell is also a threat in the passing game with 601 receiving yards (72 receptions) (to 301 yards/31 recs).  

So all purpose yards would be 1747 yards in 11 games for Bell and 1902 yards in 14 games for Elliot, so things tighten up quiet a bit when we look at things on a per game bases, basically a wash with a lean towards Bell.

Bell is one of three players on Pitt with Big Ben and A. Brown being the other the "B's.    

So yes i could see Bell getting some love.  the only thing that might hurt Bell is that Pitt is 9-6 fighting for a playoff spot and Dallas is 12-2.  In looking at it again though i could see Bell passing Elliot if pitt goes 2-0 and Dallas faulters.

And also i am not too worried about the 3 game suspension as it was for missing drug tests from what i recall 

54 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Good analysis Yehoodi. Where do you think support from the defense factors in for these candidates? As far as points allowed goes, we have New England #1st, Oakland #24th and I am not sure about Green Bay but it is pretty safe to say that team goes no where this year without Rodgers. There is also Stafford that has found a way to improve his team whilst losing Megatron. He could conceivably be the easy choice if he leads Detroit to two big wins in the next two weeks. The same could probably said for Rodgers as Green Bay and Detroit have a match up ahead to decide the division. 

Another thing is that Brady is sitting on 22 TD's. He would need 6 more TD's to tie McNair when he was MVP or be the lowest producing TD scoring QB since. With some potential rest coming up vs Miami he may not make it. I also have to wonder if Brady is getting so many props because of Deflategate and the perceived unfairness. If he sat out the first four weeks due to a sprained toe then would he be in the conversation?

Thanks 19colt. . . . I do think factoring in teammates is key to the MVP race.  I was never sold on it being an award that is too individualistic, but requires help from teammates to garner the award.

The Pats do have a strong D, not so sure if one can say its the best in the league as we have not played some of the strongest QB in the league.  Indeed, when we played Pitt, Big Ben did not play.  So the D numbers might be a little over inflated.  But they have helped out the team and wins in the time Brady has played, so agree on that level. 

Yah, I think Brady is going to have  really tough time if he has to take a pass on the last game.  i could understand some folks still like him and not fault him for sitting out, but at the same time we are now talking about missing 4.5 or 4.75 games, and unless the other top candidates fall, its a tough road for Brady.  He still would of help to get 10 wins, but missing nearly 5 games really hurts. 

I am not too worried about the passing TD as much although there are a nice selling point. If pats win 13-9 and 9-6 in the last two weeks, then that will certainly hurt.  I always kind of looked at passing and rushing TDs together, if the QB helps get them into the red zone and then hands off a few times at the 2 or 3 yard line, i do not hold it against the QB if the RB punches it in.  I kind of look at more how many overall TDs the offense has scored.  Also, the 22 TDs are reflective of just 10 games (2.2 per game).  In the end you bring up a good point if Brady plays two full games and wins 13-9 and 9-6 i can see the MVP going to another player.

Yes, the suspension has been viewed both ways imo, some say you loose too much time and can never really catch up in the ultimate team game and others looking at the unfairness to not hold the 4 games against Brady and look at things more on a per game basis.   i am not really sure about Defategate or turf toe as to how i feel folks look at it.    i do think some would support Brady for MVP if he was out due to injury, as Montana and Elway in the past.  

I'm not a big stats or analytics guy, but Brady & Edelman played great in Denver yesterday & NE's defense & secondary played great yesterday. I was very impressed. 

Tom always struggles playing in Mile High & I think BB & Josh McDaniels took the Broncos out of the playoffs yesterday. 

Trevor S. actually made good throws yesterday & when TJ Ward pile drove Edelman into the ground yesterday I knew Foxbourgh had gotten under the defense's skin. Not having Derek Wolfe really hurt Denver on running down's too. 

Brady is gonna win SB ring #5. Just promise me to pulverize Dallas like 55-10. Thanks. LOL! 

This is anyone's guess at this point. Obviously it's between Brady, Ryan, Carr, and Zeke. The thing that may hurt Brady is, he missed 4 games so he wont even have 30 TD's this season, also the Patriots went 3-1 without him. He may still get it though because he is a bigger face of the NFL than the other 3. I don't see Rodgers having much of a chance even if they run the table and win the Division, he struggled to much early in the season. By the way GB was my SB winning pick before the season but I don't see him getting many votes.

2 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Oh yah and if the Mod could remove all the candidates from the voting except Brady that would be appreciated too.  :D.  j/k

I do appreciate your humor & standing up for your guy in Boston who keeps winning in a myriad of different ways. I admire your loyalty Yehoodi & Brady is 1 hades of a QB. That man could win with high school WRs & TEs I think. He's that darn good. 

I haven't read your detailed response yet, but I'm about too. I think his 4 game suspension is a moot point & shouldn't matter because his suspension wasn't enforced the same yr the infraction took place by the Commissioner. Yeah I know. It's all about appeals & when they were heard/resolved. However, because the suspension was not say substance abuse related, it shouldn't count against him. It's about how well a QB performs down the stretch in the regular season & they just won their division by beating Denver again & Brady will probably secure a 1st round bye. The guy is a freaking stud. 

The thing I respected about NE yesterday is that Von Miller was hardly any factor yesterday & your running game with Blount & White just wore down Denver's LBs & pass rush yesterday. 

When you watch that AFC Championship Game from either 2013 or 2015 between Denver & NE. The key difference was your OL coaching & your lack of of ground game. In 2016, BB totally flipped that under the guidance of Dante Scarnecchia. And you can wear defenses down now with Blount & RB James White, who reminds me a lot of Kevin Faulk. A back who can catch anything from the flat, to the slot, inside or outside. 

BB basically said last yr I need to take pressure off Brady by running the ball & he did just that this season. 

The weird thing is that today I heard on ESPN First Take courtesy of Max Kellerman that if the NY Giants met NE in the playoffs they could give the Patriots fits due to their defense & safety Landon Collins, but I disagree cause all BB would have to do is shutdown Odell Beckum Jr. who is like 90% of Eli's offense & Brady & company still win the SB. 

I still wanna see Aaron Rogers vs Brady someday for all the chips, but it won't happen this season because GBs secondary sucks & Tommy would cut thru that secondary &  safety  Ha Ha Clinton-Dix like he wasn't even there. 

Look, I have a ton of respect for the NY Giants & Aaron Rogers in GB, but NE is a lock now that Denver is out of the playoffs & the Raiders are not tested like you Massachusetts fellas are. The Chiefs are no threat to NE either. 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's probably what I admire most about Brady. Regular season MVP Awards are meaningless to him next to adding yet another :lombardi: to his collection. I love Brady's competitive fire & NFL legacy drive. 

[All I want for Christmas is a new HC & GM in INDY for 2017. Sorry, for the interjection there, but it's the truth. ]

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I do appreciate your humor & standing up for your guy in Boston who keeps winning in a myriad of different ways. I admire your loyalty Yehoodi & Brady is 1 hades of a QB. That man could win with high school WRs & TEs I think. He's that darn good. 

I haven't read your detailed response yet, but I'm about too. I think his 4 game suspension is a moot point & shouldn't matter because his suspension wasn't enforced the same yr the infraction took place by the Commissioner. Yeah I know. It's all about appeals & when they were heard/resolved. However, because the suspension was not say substance abuse related, it shouldn't count against him. It's about how well a QB performs down the stretch in the regular season & they just won their division by beating Denver again & Brady will probably secure a 1st round bye. The guy is a freaking stud. 

Ty for the kind words SW.  Time will tell, Brady needs to have two good games and Pats really need to win both of the games for both the teams seeding and if Brady want some MVP votes.  Yes Brady is a great QB but he still needs a solid team around him to get byes and deep run in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

That's probably what I admire most about Brady. Regular season MVP Awards are meaningless to him next to adding yet another :lombardi: to his collection. I love Brady's competitive fire & NFL legacy drive. 

[All I want for Christmas is a new HC & GM in INDY for 2017. Sorry, for the interjection there, but it's the truth. ]

Idk why it says you quoted me but I know I didn't say this haha however I agree with you about you're Christmas wish I want the same thing!!!

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm not a big stats or analytics guy, but Brady & Edelman played great in Denver yesterday & NE's defense & secondary played great yesterday. I was very impressed. 

Tom always struggles playing in Mile High & I think BB & Josh McDaniels took the Broncos out of the playoffs yesterday. 

Trevor S. actually made good throws yesterday & when TJ Ward pile drove Edelman into the ground yesterday I knew Foxbourgh had gotten under the defense's skin. Not having Derek Wolfe really hurt Denver on running down's too. 

Brady is gonna win SB ring #5. Just promise me to pulverize Dallas like 55-10. Thanks. LOL! 

If it's the Cowboys vs Patriots I hope the Cowboys win 99-0. No way know how am I rooting for the Patriots. Their fanbase already thinks Brady walks on water and so does the media. If he passes Montana and gets #5 the chat boards will be unbearable to read. I know you hate the Cowboys but come on, no way you can pull for that cheating bunch in New England.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm not sure why the font became so big all of a sudden. Hey, look at the bright side, no one has to squint now or grab their reading glasses right? haha

Sure, right after I say that. Everything goes back to normal. It figures. 

Okay, okay back on topic. 

The Site has been acting up all night. At times it keeps saying Community unavailable and it wont let you Post.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is anyone's guess at this point. Obviously it's between Brady, Ryan, Carr, and Zeke. The thing that may hurt Brady is, he missed 4 games so he wont even have 30 TD's this season, also the Patriots went 3-1 without him. He may still get it though because he is a bigger face of the NFL than the other 3. I don't see Rodgers having much of a chance even if they run the table and win the Division, he struggled to much early in the season. By the way GB was my SB winning pick before the season but I don't see him getting many votes.

Rodgers didnt really struggle as much as the Pack defense did.

Its not over and he has carried his team

But Elliott has played in all the games and nobody has stopped him