Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts After Eagles-Colts Preseason Game #3

JPFolks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I was alarmed at how consistently run around our defensive flanks. I thought Walden was supposed to be an outstanding edge setter. I didn't see the edge being set on either side. Maybe Mathis will help but that isn't his forte.

I will say, however, that I did see one of Trent Cole's best plays since he's been here.  He took on one block, blasted through it throwing his body into another blocker and stopping the run.  I mean, it was only one play, but I thought to myself, :"oh yeah, we have Trent Cole on the team too...": Heh. I meant to mention that at the top. 

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I will say, however, that I did see one of Trent Cole's best plays since he's been here.  He took on one block, blasted through it throwing his body into another blocker and stopping the run.  I mean, it was only one play, but I thought to myself, :"oh yeah, we have Trent Cole on the team too...": Heh. I meant to mention that at the top. 

It is strange how Cole went from stud to an also-ran so fast.  I too forget he's even on the team at times.

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

You really don't think our line play is reason for concern? And our complete inability to run the ball?  Not to mention our secondary? 

Those are definite concerns but to have so many people Post on here that we will stink and the season is over already after 3 pre-season games is a bit comical don't you think?

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Still think we'll be okay.  You have to figure Kelly is going to have a bad game here or there at some point as he is a rookie.  Also I knew when Clark had to start for Reitz it would be a mess as he's still learning.  Didn't see the game, but I'm finding out Clark was beaten for 2 out of Lucks 3 sacks. I don't think Clark should even be part of the backup plans this year.  Just let the guy learn and grow.  If Reitz plays I'm sure those sacks don't happen like they did with Clark. Also don't think Kelly will be allowing pressure up the middle like that consistently.  And I'm sure it doesn't help matters for Mewhort to go down in the 2nd quarter.  That had to be part of the problem as well. Not sure exactly what the deal is with Costanzo but I don't expect him to be bad every week.   I think we'll be okay unless we continue getting slammed with injuries.

I think if you see it, you may feel slightly more concerned.  I mean the only relevant point really is when #1's go against #1's.  That's why the defense really wasn't a focus beyond one on one matchups for example.  I thought as decimated as the D was, they did about as much as you could hope.  We still had no pass rush, but does anyone think we will have much of one this year without exotic inside blitzes for the most part? I think our interior line will prove to be our defensive strength and once they are healthy they might really boost the D.  

The O-line really struggled across every man they had in against the Eagles in the first half.  These were one on one battles as well as working as a unit.  Our veterans (comparatively) showed more problems than the rookies. Sure Clark got smoked a couple times, (as he has every week) but play for play he was as successful as Castonzo was (which means very often).  Clark SHOULD get smoked by one of the best lines in the league, at this point in his career, Castonzo really can't if we want Luck to remain healthy.   Losing Mewhort to me is the most devastating thing about the entire game.  I think he was our best lineman and it's going to thin out a line full of question marks terribly.  

25 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

When you're missing 6 CBs what do expect? The Oline needs time to get a feel for Philbin's system.

Not sure if that was directed at my post, but I said that upfront.  As for Philbin's system, let's hope you're right.  

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I think if you see it, you may feel slightly more concerned.  I mean the only relevant point really is when #1's go against #1's.  That's why the defense really wasn't a focus beyond one on one matchups for example.  I thought as decimated as the D was, they did about as much as you could hope.  We still had no pass rush, but does anyone think we will have much of one this year without exotic inside blitzes for the most part? I think our interior line will prove to be our defensive strength and once they are healthy they might really boost the D.  

The O-line really struggled across every man they had in against the Eagles in the first half.  These were one on one battles as well as working as a unit.  Our veterans (comparatively) showed more problems than the rookies. Sure Clark got smoked a couple times, (as he has every week) but play for play he was as successful as Castonzo was (which means very often).  Clark SHOULD get smoked by one of the best lines in the league, at this point in his career, Castonzo really can't if we want Luck to remain healthy.   Losing Mewhort to me is the most devastating thing about the entire game.  I think he was our best lineman and it's going to thin out a line full of question marks terribly.  

I'm not really going to comment much until I watch the game in the morning.  Costanzo has been performing on an up and down slope since last season so I don't know if he's on the decline or what the deal is.   Mewhort being injured sucks, but I'm assuming that means we keep Hugh Thornton who's okay when healthy.  Can turn to Haeg as well.  We'll see what happens.  Everything is a work in progress right now, can't expect Philbin to fix every problem this early.  It's going to be a work in progress for much of the season.   Some days real good and other days not so good.  Luckily when the season starts the O Coordinator seems pretty competent so that will help with potential protection issues.  I view things differently from you so I still think things will be better with time. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Those are definite concerns but to have so many people Post on here that we will stink and the season is over already after 3 pre-season games is a bit comical don't you think?

I think the injuries, youth on the line and how bad they looked head to head against another first team defense is a legitimate reason for concern.  It has been all season, but we finally got to see them play the closest thing to a game that counts as possible and either they simply weren't ready mentally, or they were physically overwhelmed.  It didn't appear like they were missing the guys they were supposed to block as we saw in the first two games, which is easily fixable, they looked physically dominated, especially Castonzo who is being paid like a top notch starting left tackle for one of the best QB's in football.  There was nothing funny or comical going on out there unless you're a Detroit or Denver D Lineman.  I can assure you the plane ride for Philly D Line was a lot more fun than the drive home for the Colts O Line.  

I think you're on par with the o-line.  Granted I think Good played very well, (held his blocks and got push in the run game, but when others around you do not,...then it doesn't really matter. And he came off blocks at last seconds to pick up blitzers, even falling to one knee once and still held the blitzer back,..) I was impressed with him.

Kelly can be, and has been bullied by Strong d-linemen just bull rushing him.

Castonzo is having issues sealing the edge allowing guys to run right around him.

Clark, has the length, but needs to get in the weight room,...just like Kelly apparently, because he also gets bulled over too much.

The WR's and TE's did thier jobs.  A holding call on Dorsett getting Turbin's huge run called back sucked, (and really it didn't look much like a hold to me...but i guess out on the perimiter, anything is called compared to the trenches).

Luck still looks great....I mean 2014 form..maybe better.  Get this guy a run game so DC's aren't throwing the kitchen sink at him, and he'll win championships.

On to the defense.........

I am not going to be too critical here.  Cause really, how many starters did we play?....4...5?  Parry, D.Q., Walden, Adams.  (not counting Butler cause he played CB1...and he's a nickel back,..besides..he got hurt right after his heads up INT.)

We basicly played our 2nd stringers 3rd stringers,( and any flag football enthusiast we could find to play DB.)

Bright spots on D...McNary and Morrison still show me they could be quality football players.  Green still shows explosion and toughness. (though he still needs more practice) Irving and Cole showed signs of being actuall pro football players.

The bad on D....Injuries obviously.  Not going to mention a single CB...cause well, no reason too...we had none after Butler went down.  Where was our d-line????? Seriiously, that has been our strength for the past year, and not Philly made them look like PS players.  Yes all but Parry are back-ups, but they were all supposedly good back-ups.  They were manhandled today.  Adams played his butt off, but he took a couple bad angle today and allowed the ball carrier to get more yards than he should have.  Walden other than 1 play, looked lost, normally our edge setter, today was making VERY poor decisions in that dept.

Man I for one cannot wait until we get our starters back on D...........

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not really going to comment much until I watch the game in the morning.  Costanzo has been performing on an up and down slope since last season so I don't know if he's on the decline or what the deal is.   Mewhort being injured sucks, but I'm assuming that means we keep Hugh Thornton who's okay when healthy.  Can turn to Haeg as well.  We'll see what happens.  Everything is a work in progress right now, can't expect Philbin to fix every problem this early.  It's going to be a work in progress for much of the season.   Some days real good and other days not so good.  Luckily when the season starts the O Coordinator seems pretty competent so that will help with potential protection issues.  I view things differently from you so I still think things will be better with time. 

I can honestly say I hope you're right on all counts.  

8 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I think the injuries, youth on the line and how bad they looked head to head against another first team defense is a legitimate reason for concern.  It has been all season, but we finally got to see them play the closest thing to a game that counts as possible and either they simply weren't ready mentally, or they were physically overwhelmed.  It didn't appear like they were missing the guys they were supposed to block as we saw in the first two games, which is easily fixable, they looked physically dominated, especially Castonzo who is being paid like a top notch starting left tackle for one of the best QB's in football.  There was nothing funny or comical going on out there unless you're a Detroit or Denver D Lineman.  I can assure you the plane ride for Philly D Line was a lot more fun than the drive home for the Colts O Line.  

The O.Line is a concern, especially with the injuries and the penalties is the part that frustrates me more than anything because it seems like every time we get a big play it gets called back, this was going on a lot last season too. Most of our main guys were out on Defense. Mathis will be there on opening day and hopefully we get some of our secondary back as well. Mathis is 35 but I think he is capable of having a decent season, maybe 10 sacks or so which is respectable. It will definitely help our secondary out with his pressures. I want to see how the Lions game goes before I hit the panic button.  

16 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I think you're on par with the o-line.  Granted I think Good played very well, (held his blocks and got push in the run game, but when others around you do not,...then it doesn't really matter. And he came off blocks at last seconds to pick up blitzers, even falling to one knee once and still held the blitzer back,..) I was impressed with him.

Kelly can be, and has been bullied by Strong d-linemen just bull rushing him.

Castonzo is having issues sealing the edge allowing guys to run right around him.

Clark, has the length, but needs to get in the weight room,...just like Kelly apparently, because he also gets bulled over too much.

The WR's and TE's did thier jobs.  A holding call on Dorsett getting Turbin's huge run called back sucked, (and really it didn't look much like a hold to me...but i guess out on the perimiter, anything is called compared to the trenches).

Luck still looks great....I mean 2014 form..maybe better.  Get this guy a run game so DC's aren't throwing the kitchen sink at him, and he'll win championships.

On to the defense.........

I am not going to be too critical here.  Cause really, how many starters did we play?....4...5?  Parry, D.Q., Walden, Adams.  (not counting Butler cause he played CB1...and he's a nickel back,..besides..he got hurt right after his heads up INT.)

We basicly played our 2nd stringers 3rd stringers,( and any flag football enthusiast we could find to play DB.)

Bright spots on D...McNary and Morrison still show me they could be quality football players.  Green still shows explosion and toughness. (though he still needs more practice) Irving and Cole showed signs of being actuall pro football players.

The bad on D....Injuries obviously.  Not going to mention a single CB...cause well, no reason too...we had none after Butler went down.  Where was our d-line????? Seriiously, that has been our strength for the past year, and not Philly made them look like PS players.  Yes all but Parry are back-ups, but they were all supposedly good back-ups.  They were manhandled today.  Adams played his butt off, but he took a couple bad angle today and allowed the ball carrier to get more yards than he should have.  Walden other than 1 play, looked lost, normally our edge setter, today was making VERY poor decisions in that dept.

Man I for one cannot wait until we get our starters back on D...........

I still need to watch the game, but so far as I've skimmed over many highlights I haven't seen where Good played bad either.  Full game will tell me more.  I even saw one passing play where Luck hit Moncrief on a mid range to deep pass and Good was going one on one with Fletcher Cox.  Stood out to me because Cox is a beast.  Good had 2 hands on Cox and jacked him up in the air a little bit.    He still needs a little bit of technique work and maintaining his balance because I think he falls down sometimes but I've seen more than one encouraging play.  Was just watching over the Baltimore game again and watched him move Timmy Jernigan out of a gap amongst other plays.  When I see him he moves people in the run game.  He'll have a snafu every now and then and I expect that for a guy who's learning.  In my opinion I've seen some good things. 

12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

The game wasn't comical but some peoples reactions already putting us in the grave and shoveling dirt on us after 3 pre-season games is what I was referring too as comical.

Just now, krunk said:

I'm starting to like Swoope more and more.  I think with some more playing time he could be a pretty good tight end. Especially in the passing game. 

Me too. Not too many people have had much positive to say about tonight's game but I did like Luck's accuracy, dinking and dunking at times to Moncrief and TY. That is 2 games in a row Luck has looked sharp throwing the ball.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I still need to watch the game, but so far as I've skimmed over many highlights I haven't seen where Good played bad either.  Full game will tell me more.  I even saw one passing play where Luck hit Moncrief on a mid range to deep pass and Good was going one on one with Fletcher Cox.  Had 2 hands on Cox and jacked him up in the air a little bit.    He still needs a little bit of technique work and maintaining his balance because I think he falls down sometimes but I've seen more than one encouraging play.  Was just watching over the Baltimore game again and watched him move Timmy Jernigan out of a gap amongst other plays.  When I see him he moves people in the run game.  He'll have a snafu every now and then and I expect that for a guy who's learning.  In my opinion I've seen some good things. 

Yeah, I agree,. he does have a play or two where he messes up, (had a false start this game) and he does loose his balance and fall down time to time, but I think that happens because his feet move before his body does.  He seems to make his decisions in his head, moves his feet as soon as he makes that decision, but forgets to fully disengage with whom he's blocking first.  That is mental error, and expected like you said with learning a new position.  Guard's have to think and move fasterand deal with more people than tackles ussually do. But 1 on 1...Good seems more than capable holding his own.  In time...he could be pro-bowl caliber.  He just needs to work on these mental issues, cause his size, strength, and blocking skills once he's 'locked on', are amazing IMO.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Yeah, I agree,. he does have a play or two where he messes up, (had a false start this game) and he does loose his balance and fall down time to time, but I think that happens because his feet move before his body does.  He seems to make his decisions in his head, moves his feet as soon as he makes that decision, but forgets to fully disengage with whom he's blocking first.  That is mental error, and expected like you said with learning a new position.  Guard's have to think and move fasterand deal with more people than tackles ussually do. But 1 on 1...Good seems more than capable holding his own.  In time...he could be pro-bowl caliber.  He just needs to work on these mental issues, cause his size, strength, and blocking skills once he's 'locked on', are amazing IMO.

Yeah I don't think he has problems handling people one one one at all.  In the passing game he kind of blocks them like he's still at right tackle.  LOL.  In the running game he moves people, but has the tendency to lose his balance and fall down.  Sometimes he'll struggle a little bit if he has to hit two people.  You know get to one guy and then move on to pick up the next guy.  I expect this to improve with more snaps. 

10 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

This play right herehttp://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Preseason_Week_3_Andrew_Luck_highlights/9ce93900-1199-47c5-bc34-23ae3827387d

First play of the highlight reel.  Toe to Toe with Fletcher Cox and he locks Fletcher up.

20 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Pathetic showing, i don't care if it's preseason or not.  Same old story.  Colts will be drafting  3rd or 4th in the first round.

Man what a pathetic post I do care that's it's preseason. We needed only to get out of there with out a major injury.  If we had done that we'd have made it through 3 games and probably the preseason without losing a key player to a season ending injury. Instead they got Jack.

Mewhort's a big loss but we did spend some picks on OL. We have Philbin as our OL coach and Chud is still the OC. These were changes the board thought were good just a few short weeks ago. Oh and that kid Luck is still the QB 

We have 2 weeks to sort out the OL. I don't see this injury shaking up the rest of the OL. I think Harrison Haeg and Thorton will fight it out to start for Mewhort. 

Jack Mewhort being out for the season will not have us picking in the top 5. That's just silly a complete overreaction. I think we need Thorton to step in and play now. He could minimize the impact of this injury.

I don' t think we  want rookies on both sides of Kelly. Good has less experience than most rookies at G. We may live to regret not bringing a FA to address the middle of the OL. 

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm starting to like Swoope more and more.  I think with some more playing time he could be a pretty good tight end. Especially in the passing game. 

yeah, I haven't seen him miss a catch, though it is a small sample.  

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Man what a pathetic post I do care that's it's preseason. We needed only to get out of there with out a major injury.  If we had done that we'd have made it through 3 games and probably the preseason without losing a key player to a season ending injury. Instead they got Jack.

Mewhort's a big loss but we did spend some picks on OL. We have Philbin as our OL coach and Chud is still the OC. These were changes the board thought were good just a few short weeks ago. Oh and that kid Luck is still the QB 

We have 2 weeks to sort out the OL. I don't see this injury shaking up the rest of the OL. I think Harrison Haeg and Thorton will fight it out to start for Mewhort. 

Jack Mewhort being out for the season will not have us picking in the top 5. That's just silly a complete overreaction. I think we need Thorton to step in and play now. He could minimize the impact of this injury.

I don' t think we  want rookies on both sides of Kelly. Good has less experience than most rookies at G. We may live to regret not bringing a FA to address the middle of the OL. 

People have been in panic mode all night. Maybe it's something in the water?

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too. Not too many people have had much positive to say about tonight's game but I did like Luck's accuracy, dinking and dunking at times to Moncrief and TY. That is 2 games in a row Luck has looked sharp throwing the ball.

I thought Moncrief especially caught a couple tough balls that really has me excited about him this season.  We already knew he could take the top off a D, but his catch skills have been impressive. Hilton pretty much catches anything catchable, but we knew that.   Luck and our receivers look ready for anything.  Luck just needs a couple beats of time to get the ball out cleanly.  He did have some batted balls, not sure if it was avoidable at all, but perhaps someone who has been a QB at some level can chime in.  How much control does he have when under tremendous pressure on whether he can get the ball over the D line and to the receiver?  I think he may just have been throwing for his life tonight with little choice on those plays. 

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

This play right herehttp://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Preseason_Week_3_Andrew_Luck_highlights/9ce93900-1199-47c5-bc34-23ae3827387d

First play of the highlight reel.  Toe to Toe with Fletcher Cox and he locks Fletcher up.

look at the 3rd play as well.  you only get a moment, but Good instantly locks his man up and holds him in place.

Now that i look at it more...he and Kelly double teamed #97.

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

As a matter of fact, let stats add to Good's body of work. the majority of the day, he was on Cox, Cox had 0 stats...0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 sacks, 0 QB pressures.  I's say that speaks volumes.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Losing Mewhort sucks a big bag but other than that everyone will forget about this game in 2 weeks once Week1 gets here.

In this day and age everyone forgets about EVERYTHING in two weeks, less much of the time.  Look at politics. The world's collective attention span has never been shorter.  

3 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Well, unless they have me controlling them, and that's even with me resigning Trent Richardson in free agency, but yea, I see your point :thmup:

Creepily, they had Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Harrison and Reitz starting, Mewhort got hurt in preseason and missed the season, so Thornton was the replacement.  I won't tell you who else they had get hurt the first game of the season, let's just hope the coincidences stop there.  

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

My thoughts are that the Colts look horrible.  I'm sick of the listlessness of the Pagano era.  Luck has yet to throw a single touchdown pass in his 2 preseason appearances.  His dinking and dunking is not getting them into the endzone.  I thought this offense was supposed to be explosive?  Lol This team comes out lifeless far too often and it will likely continue because that has become the trend under Pagano.  Going to be another long season for us Colts fans. 

Consider all the slow starts, the apparent confusion and the lack of sharpness (energy) of play. It seems to me that reflects Pagano's personality. The Colts are not mentally prepared to play football from the outset. THAT is on the coach(es). The HC does not need to be a rah-rah kind of guy, but does need to provide a culture of focused determination that kicks in at the very start of the game. Pagano seems to be a good, old-school Xs and Os coach. Not what we need in an HC. Yes, it's going to be a very long season.

honestly I feel like they're playing vanilla on the offense because all the zone concepts that were said to be implemented in Tc I have not seen in any of our preseason  games..fr one I wouldn't have kept luck in the game with that line he shouldn't be getting hit in preseason that often 

4 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Only thought I have about the game is that it can burn in hell......mostly because of Mewhorts injury.

haha I hear ya. Some of the hits Luck was taking weren't good either but luckily he wasn't phased by the hits. Thank Goodness at least he wasn't injured, that would've really ruined the season.

Yes this game brought back flashes of last years team and worse, but im feeling pretty optamistic still (even though i am one of the more pessamistic people on this forum), Only because i think the eagles are playing their absolute best in this preseason. I mean look what they did to the steelers last week? 17-0 we all know that the steelers are not a bad football team. What i think is happening is the colts are being as basic as they can be in the preaseason for a reason. They will come out week one on fire with very good playcalling that they never showed in preseason they are being vanilla for a purpose I feel. Here is to hoping mewhort is okay!

I still need to watch the game because it wasn't shown in SC. 

My guess is that the Eagles are playing very hard this preseason. Someone mentioned that they whooped the Steelers last weekand we know Big Ben and that offense are going to be excellent. Also this was our first test against a very good d-line and although it was rough we still have time to work out any issues. 

Losing Mewhort absolutely sucks but come week 1 I believe we'll be ready to come out swinging. 

15 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Yes this game brought back flashes of last years team and worse, but im feeling pretty optamistic still (even though i am one of the more pessamistic people on this forum), Only because i think the eagles are playing their absolute best in this preseason. I mean look what they did to the steelers last week? 17-0 we all know that the steelers are not a bad football team. What i think is happening is the colts are being as basic as they can be in the preaseason for a reason. They will come out week one on fire with very good playcalling that they never showed in preseason they are being vanilla for a purpose I feel. Here is to hoping mewhort is okay!

I am not pushing the panic button yet. I want to see what we do against the Lions, a team we should beat. If we lose that then we have problems.

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Not sure if that was directed at my post, but I said that upfront.  As for Philbin's system, let's hope you're right.  

It was less directed at you and more directed at the general vibe I'm getting on the board. Pre season is time to test things out, get people in place, evaluate. I get it was a dress rehearsal but guys like Luck have a few extra gears they are not even using for pre season. The line is a work progress. I'm willing to wait. There were parts of last season the line looked serviceable.